ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 19th July 2019, 02:43 PM   #1881
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Just spoke to @KanyeWest about his friend A$AP Rocky’s incarceration. I will be calling the very talented Prime Minister of Sweden to see what we can do about helping A$AP Rocky. So many people would like to see this quickly resolved!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 02:57 PM   #1882
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Both are rooted in hatred of "the other", they're just slightly different in how they're applied. In theory, anyway. In practice there's so much overlap the distinction is rarely necessary.
In the usual American practice of short memories, also, one might accidentally forget that a couple of generations ago, objections to immigrants now considered white and comfortably American were couched in racial terms as well. Not that long ago, standard Anthropological texts called what we now think of as race, "stock," and race a much finer division, separating Mediterraneans, East Europeans, and others within the broader "caucasoid" stock. I got that in college in the 1960's. It's one of the great ironies, for example, that people of Italian and Polish (or German, perhaps?) descent are among those chanting for exactly what both racists and xenophobes were saying to them a hundred or fewer years ago.

If it were not so dreadful, it would be amusing the lengths of obfuscation and pedantry that Trump's supporters stoop to in order to deny his utterly inappropriate wrongness.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 03:03 PM   #1883
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Just spoke to @KanyeWest about his friend A$AP Rocky’s incarceration. I will be calling the very talented Prime Minister of Sweden to see what we can do about helping A$AP Rocky. So many people would like to see this quickly resolved!
One would hope said PM would tell him that no, I don't usually interfere with criminal investigations and prosecutions. Is that something American presidents do?
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 04:32 PM   #1884
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweets

Thomas “the Chin” Friedman, a weak and pathetic sort of guy, writes columns for The New York Times in between rounds of his favorite game, golf. Two weeks ago, while speaking to a friend on his cell phone, I unfortunately ended up speaking to Friedman. We spoke for a while and...

....he could not have been nicer or more respectful to your favorite President, me. Then I saw the column he wrote, “Trump Will Be Re-elected, Won’t He?” He called me a Racist, which I am not, and said Rhode Island went from economically bad to great in 5 years because the.....

....Governor of the State did a good job. That may be true but she could not have done it without the tremendous economic success of our Country & the turnaround that my Administration has caused. Really Nasty to me in his average I.Q. Columns, kissed my a.. on the call. Phony!
Boris Yeltsin has lost his record as biggest clown on the world stage.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 04:38 PM   #1885
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Boris Yeltsin has lost his record as biggest clown on the world stage.
About Three Years too late with that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 04:38 PM   #1886
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I thought one problem with excessively low interest rates is that there's nothing to cut them to should the need arise.

Personally, as a saver rather than a borrower I don't see why everything should be run to cater to people and businesses and banks borrowing all the time. Why can't they use their own money? I remember when a humble savings account earned 3% interest, and there wasn't a depression on with banks failing and businesses going under from the strain of interest rates.
It's only a problem that exists in people's theories about how economics works. In practice the problem has been solved by using quantitative easing, that is, just print money. In the old theories doing that would instantly produce runaway inflation but that didn't happen in real life.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:03 PM   #1887
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

People are so fixated on hating Trump and the right (and white people pretty much now) that they don't see it. You tar everyone with the same broad brush. You are going to lose another election with this attitude.
You're assuming here, I think, that hate toward Trump is misplaced (which is not to say necessarily that hate toward Trump is not misplaced).

I don't want another 4 years of Trump but I don't want what I see on the other side of the aisle either. Not at all.
It's not so much a question of what you want, but which option among the ones presented is better than the others (although what you want in absolute terms is an effective starting point to selecting the optimal choice among those available).

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:28 PM   #1888
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Not accurate though. That last sentence makes no sense and it's not what he was quoted as saying. Trump says a whole lot of really dumb stuff and I see no reason to misrepresent it.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/11/polit...ump/index.html

On another note, too many liberals/Dems are clueless...unless the goal is to lose another election.

It's not hate for the "brown people", or racism or evangelicals that got Trump elected, it is liberal progressives shoving their ideals down peoples throats for the past few decades. People have had enough of this crap.

Actually y'all could have won had you not run Hillary. But now? Your hate is out in full force. The crying, the accusations and fingerpointing, it's not going to work. You are doing it wrong. This forum is the same way.

People are so fixated on hating Trump and the right (and white people pretty much now) that they don't see it. You tar everyone with the same broad brush. You are going to lose another election with this attitude.

Most people I know that are in the middle or right-leaning feel the same way. They are sick of "liberals". That's it.

I don't want another 4 years of Trump but I don't want what I see on the other side of the aisle either. Not at all.

Sincere question: Hate for Obama was (in hindsight) clearly a winner for the GOP come 2016. What makes hate for Trump "doing it wrong"? What distinction do you see between hate for Obama and hate for Trump that makes one party successful (as in winning a presidential election) and one an expected loser (according to you).

I eagerly await your analysis.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 07:12 PM   #1889
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You know forget politics can we get a President that doesn't play golf so we can stop hearing about that game?

I'm surprised "What's your handicap?" isn't part of the debates at this point.

Trump doesn't care about golf handicaps.

He just cheats.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 07:26 PM   #1890
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

Friends in high places.

It will backfire because it will look so bad if Trump tries to intervene.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th July 2019 at 07:28 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 07:53 PM   #1891
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Sincere question: Hate for Obama was (in hindsight) clearly a winner for the GOP come 2016. What makes hate for Trump "doing it wrong"? What distinction do you see between hate for Obama and hate for Trump that makes one party successful (as in winning a presidential election) and one an expected loser (according to you).

I eagerly await your analysis.
I hate to burst your bubble, but some people just vomit up a poorly thought out, unsupported and unsupportable rant then disappear. I wouldn't hold my breath for a return to this thread, as any sort of analysis would likely drive home the lack of understanding required to make such an opening salvo.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 10:14 PM   #1892
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Friends in high places.

It will backfire because it will look so bad if Trump tries to intervene.
It's the internet age "Spook Who Sat By the Door". See? I can't be racist. Why here I am helping out this black millionaire because of a request from a black billionaire. I'm not a racist; I'm a slut.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 10:19 PM   #1893
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It's the internet age "Spook Who Sat By the Door". See? I can't be racist. Why here I am helping out this black millionaire because of a request from a black billionaire. I'm not a racist; I'm a slut.
Ohhh, points for one black friend even if the Swedes continue to persecute the black rapper. Yep!
Old 20th July 2019, 12:31 AM   #1894
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
One would hope said PM would tell him that no, I don't usually interfere with criminal investigations and prosecutions. Is that something American presidents do?
He'll probably tell the prosecuting authorities that they don't want to make a mistake when the person accused of assault is a well known black American rapper and they should be especially thorough with their investigation even if it means keeping him in custody for that bit longer.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 12:48 AM   #1895
dann
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

It's so funny to see him flatter a guy because he wants something from him.
Remember this?!

Quote:
Sweden, who would believe this? Sweden. They took in large numbers. They’re having problems like they never thought possible. You look at what’s happening in Brussels. You look at what’s happening all over the world. Take a look at Nice. Take a look at Paris.
'Sweden, who would believe this?': Trump cites non-existent terror attack (The Guardian, Feb. 9, 2019)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 01:29 AM   #1896
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Oh, and this is quite fun:

Not accurate though. That last sentence makes no sense and it's not what he was quoted as saying. Trump says a whole lot of really dumb stuff and I see no reason to misrepresent it.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/11/polit...ump/index.html

Quote:
One of the sources briefed on the Thursday Oval Office meeting with lawmakers confirmed Trump asked, "Why do we want all these people from '****hole countries' coming here?"
It's pretty accurate.

The last bit was conflating a couple of things Trump said, possibly because, face it, he says so many hateful things that it is difficult to remember whether they were said on one occasion or spread over two
Quote:

On another note, too many liberals/Dems are clueless...unless the goal is to lose another election.

It's not hate for the "brown people", or racism or evangelicals that got Trump elected, it is liberal progressives shoving their ideals down peoples throats for the past few decades. People have had enough of this crap.

Actually y'all could have won had you not run Hillary. But now? Your hate is out in full force. The crying, the accusations and fingerpointing, it's not going to work. You are doing it wrong. This forum is the same way.

Most people I know that are in the middle or right-leaning feel the same way. They are sick of "liberals". That's it.

I don't see much hatred for white people on this board. I do see at least one self-proclaimed racist asserting his belief in white superiority.

I do see a lot of contempt for those who haven't abandoned Trump, yet act offended when it's pointed out that they're comfortable having racist fellow travellers. "I'm not racist, some of my best friends come from ******** countries and should go back home" isn't exactly convincing

I do see contempt for people who still try to bring Hilary Clinton into an argument as a defence of Trump's actions.

I do see contempt for people who wrap themselves in the flag (in Trump's case, literally) whilst ignoring the damage Trump is doing to US foreign policy, and his subservience to Putin. I also see contempt for people who deny that a hostile foreign power interfered in the 2016 election, and are blocking steps to address the vulnerabilities in many of the voting machines before the next election.

I do see contempt for people who pretend that Trump's behaviour, by its very blatant nature is different from previous presidents. Similarly, I see contempt for people who claim that there is no reason to question Trump's mental health or suitability for command.

I see contempt for those on the Evangelical Right who try to claim the moral high ground whilst supporting Trump, who is a serial adulterer and self-confessed sexual attacker.

ETA: I definitely see contempt for Fox news attacking Omar for "profanity" when she's attacking Trump's use of those words

But hatred of white people, no.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 20th July 2019 at 01:31 AM.
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 02:05 AM   #1897
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Iran's action in taking over the Pommy-flagged tanker is going to be a win for Trump - I'm betting he comes out smelling of roses on this one. It almost seems like deja vu on the Reagan/Iran hostage deal to me.
Old 20th July 2019, 03:58 AM   #1898
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Steve Scalise
@SteveScalise
The Do-Nothing Democrats' agenda this week:
→ Let Pelosi violate House rules to harass
@realDonaldTrump
→ Harass Trump some more with an impeachment resolution that failed 332-95
Not on the agenda:
→ Solve the border crisis
→ Anything to actually help hardworking families
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 03:59 AM   #1899
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Katie Hopkins
@KTHopkins
The @realDonaldTrump has made #2020 a bold and binary decision.
Are you going to choose socialists, choose ISIS, choose the Palestinian flag, choose Cair? Or are you going to choose to Make America Great Again? Choose @realDonaldTrump

How I wish we had such leadership in the U.K.
“Don’t like this country? Don’t like what it gives you? Then leave”
Trump does not give offence. #TheSquad choose to take it. #TheSquad need to make better decisions

New Campaign slogan for #2020?
“Don’t love it? Leave it!”
Send her back is the new lock her up.
Well done to #TeamTrump

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 20th July 2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 20th July 2019, 04:00 AM   #1900
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

With the incompetent Mayor of London, you will never have safe streets!

Quote Tweet

Katie Hopkins
@KTHopkins
The Met Police Officers says they have lost control of London streets.
Apparently they lost control of their twitter account too
Old 20th July 2019, 04:02 AM   #1901
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

As you can see, I did nothing to lead people on, nor was I particularly happy with their chant. Just a very big and patriotic crowd. They love the USA!
Old 20th July 2019, 04:11 AM   #1902
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Trump Tweets

As you can see, I did nothing to lead people on, nor was I particularly happy with their chant. Just a very big and patriotic crowd. They love the USA!
“Because being racist is just patriotism getting a bit over enthusiastic, and it’s not like I am someone who should be taking leadership or anything.”
Old 20th July 2019, 04:19 AM   #1903
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
“Because being racist is just patriotism getting a bit over enthusiastic, and it’s not like I am someone who should be taking leadership or anything.”
Calming down a crowd’s racist rhetoric is something John McCain would do. I like people who weren’t captured.
Old 20th July 2019, 04:41 AM   #1904
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has retweeted Katie Hopkins? I bet she's masturbating as we speak over how effective her trolling career has been.
Old 20th July 2019, 05:19 AM   #1905
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Katie Hopkins
@KTHopkins
[...]
Well done to #TeamTrump
Trump Tweets

I wasn't happy about "Send her back" but I happily retweet someone who says it's the new "Lock her up", a chant I clearly relished?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 05:20 AM   #1906
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I wasn't happy about "Send her back" but I happily retweet someone who says it's the new "Lock her up", a chant I clearly relished?
Don’t believe your lying eyes.
Old 20th July 2019, 05:54 AM   #1907
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
What they're telling you is happening is not what's really happening.
Old 20th July 2019, 07:09 AM   #1908
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The fact so few republicans are speaking against trump is a sign that democrats won in 2018. For them, it should be evidence of success.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 07:35 AM   #1909
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Just had a very good call with @Swedish PM Stefan Löfven who assured me that American citizen A$AP Rocky will be treated fairly. Likewise, I assured him that A$AP was not a flight risk and offered to personally vouch for his bail, or an alternative....

....Our teams will be talking further, and we agreed to speak again in the next 48 hours!
Old 20th July 2019, 07:45 AM   #1910
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Just had a very good call with @Swedish PM Stefan Löfven who assured me that American citizen A$AP Rocky will be treated fairly. Likewise, I assured him that A$AP was not a flight risk and offered to personally vouch for his bail, or an alternative....

....Our teams will be talking further, and we agreed to speak again in the next 48 hours!
I guess I'm not surprised. The stupid bitch debases the office all the time. Why not get a little more mud on the carpet by involving the presidency in this sort of thing.
Old 20th July 2019, 07:48 AM   #1911
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I guess I'm not surprised. The stupid bitch debases the office all the time. Why not get a little more mud on the carpet by involving the presidency in this sort of thing.
What's the big deal? Sending someone to the hospital by beating them and cutting them with broken bottles surely can't be worthy of prison time when the accused is a celebrity!
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 08:19 AM   #1912
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Yesterday's gaggle in the Oval Office (with the Apollo 11 astronauts) really showed how thin The PDJT's hair is getting. You can tell when you see him in the profile view.
Old 20th July 2019, 08:19 AM   #1913
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Sounds like the Swedes will be behaving exactly as if he hadn't stuck his oar in....abiding by the rule of law. It may be novel for President Trump and the GOP but not for a proper Western democracy.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 08:53 AM   #1914
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Trump Retweeted

Katie Hopkins
@KTHopkins
The @realDonaldTrump has made #2020 a bold and binary decision.
Are you going to choose socialists, choose ISIS, choose the Palestinian flag, choose Cair? Or are you going to choose to Make America Great Again? Choose @realDonaldTrump

How I wish we had such leadership in the U.K.
“Don’t like this country? Don’t like what it gives you? Then leave”
Trump does not give offence. #TheSquad choose to take it. #TheSquad need to make better decisions

Well done to #TeamTrump
This isn't the first time he's retweeted Katie "We need a final solution for Muslims" Hopkins.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:02 AM   #1915
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
A normal innocent man would.

Even on those things in which President Trump is innocent (I’m sure there must be at least a couple), he would have an exceptionally hard time saying the things an innocent man would likely say.
I think that's likely the case, but I think also that part of what Trump is always doing is personifying misogyny and male supremacy, and "she's not my type," suggesting that a woman is unsuitable even as a rape victim is in character even if it's true.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 11:35 AM   #1916
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

What a lying sack of ****.
Old 20th July 2019, 11:52 AM   #1917
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

See posts 1906 and 1907
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
What they're telling you is happening is not what's really happening.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 12:38 PM   #1918
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Far too often, I am amazed at how many lines from American President are relevant.

In this case, it's Sydney's question "How do you have patience for people who claim they love America but clearly can't stand Americans?"

Previously, there was the whole election, summed up with this quote
Quote:
whatever your particular problem is, I promise you Bob Rumson is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things, and two things only : Making you afraid of it, and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections. You gather a group of middle age, middle class, middle income voters who remember with longing an easier time, and you talk to them about family and American values and character and you wave an old photo of the president's girlfriend and you scream about patriotism. You tell them she's to blame for their lot in life. And you go on television and you call her a whore.
Old 20th July 2019, 01:02 PM   #1919
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know this is real or not, but I do like it

Old 20th July 2019, 01:05 PM   #1920
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I don't know this is real or not, but I do like it

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12206
Ah, yes, Superman. An illegal immigrant himself.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics