ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jeffrey Epstein , sex offenders , sex trafficking

Old 22nd July 2019, 12:40 AM   #281
dann
Philosopher

From post 277:

Originally Posted by dann View Post
“There’d be girls that look like they could be in high school,” the employee recalls. “They looked very young. They were always wearing college sweatshirts. It seemed like camouflage, that’s the best way to put it.” Epstein would be dressed in a tracksuit, but the girls carried shopping bags from designer labels: Gucci, Dior.
(...)
“The fact that young girls were getting out of his helicopter and getting into his plane, it was like he was flaunting it,” the employee says. “But it was said that he always tipped really well, so everyone overlooked it.”
In fact, it appears that local authorities did nothing to investigate Epstein’s repeated trips with young girls—let alone intervene—despite the fact that he was listed on the island’s registry of sex offenders.
“The girls were just so young”: The Horrors of Jeffrey Epstein's Private Island (Vanity Fair, July 20, 2019)

'I'm sorry, I can't meet with you next Thursday. I have to take the girls shopping.'

ETA:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 22nd July 2019 at 01:46 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 09:01 PM   #282
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Epstein might have tried to commit suicide:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...513174311.html

Regardless of whether this was a real attempt to end his life or a scheme to get bail, the Prison failed miserably to prevent something like this.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 09:03 PM   #283
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Code:
SET CT ON
I think we all agree that Trump tired to have Epstein killed to prevent him from spilling the beans on their rape parties.

Code:
SET CT OFF
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 09:22 PM   #284
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, this is the "jail sentence" that BrooklynBaby is so proud of.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 09:50 PM   #285
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Epstein might have tried to commit suicide:
[Willie Wonka voice]Don't. Stop.[/Willie Wonka voice]
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 12:09 AM   #286
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Regardless of whether this was a real attempt to end his life or a scheme to get bail, the Prison failed miserably to prevent something like this.
Not sure that follows; he's not dead after all.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 03:12 AM   #287
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
[Willie Wonka voice]Don't. Stop.[/Willie Wonka voice]

Do you want him to be unable to witness against his pedophile friends?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 03:27 AM   #288
Susheel
Graduate Poster

I guess for some here...the biggest crimes would be that 1) He was caught; and 2) He might squeal.
Old 25th July 2019, 04:20 AM   #289
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but I don't think he will regardless.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 05:28 AM   #290
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but I don't think he will regardless.
Doubt there is much incentive for him to squeal. With all the public pressure concerning the leniency of his previous plea agreement, I doubt anyone is willing to offer him a plea agreement that still doesn't result him spending decades in prison. He's 66 years old, so that could easily be a life sentence.

Odds are good any guilty plea or guilty verdict results with him spending the rest of life behind bars. Only way out is for him to beat the charge.
Old 25th July 2019, 06:35 AM   #291
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay let's apply Occam's Razor here.

- A cabal of the Illuminati Free Mason NWO (both the wrestling faction and the secret world government) Deep State agents are out to get Epstein to silence him on their secret world wide child rape ring and were able to get into the cell of... the most important informant in modern history... but only mildly scratched his neck.

- Epstein did to himself to attention/sympathy.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 25th July 2019 at 06:52 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 06:49 AM   #292
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay let's apply Occam's Razor here.

- A cabal of the Illuminati Free Mason NWO (both the wrestling faction and the secret world government) Deep State agents are out to get Epstein to silence him on their secret world wide child rape ring and were able to get into the cell of... the most important information in modern history... but only mildly scratched his neck.

Trump personally tried to strangle him but was unable to do the job because of his tiny fingers.
Old 25th July 2019, 06:56 AM   #293
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And besides why wait until he's back in prison? Why didn't he just conveniently "slip in the shower and hit his head" on some busy news day so it got buried on page 8 at some point between his plea deal years ago and his second arrest? Why wait until he's back in the news?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 07:08 AM   #294
Tolls
Illuminator

I don't think the Great Zaganza was serious...
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 07:15 AM   #295
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
What tipped you off? The CT tags?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 07:16 AM   #296
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
But plenty of people are thinking that a "hit" on Epstein is inevitable and/or this was an attempt at one.
Old 25th July 2019, 07:27 AM   #297
dann
Philosopher

I might be persuaded of a conspiracy if the videos and photos that were seized at his arrest were reported missing.
Old 25th July 2019, 07:29 AM   #298
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

But plenty of people are thinking that a "hit" on Epstein is inevitable and/or this was an attempt at one.
I assume that if he actually has incriminating evidence on powerful persons he'd have one of those arrangements where "if I am found dead by any means the contents of my hidden safeth deposit box will be sent to the authorities and news agencies by my associates unknown to you". No intelligent blackmailer would omit such a safeguard against murder.
Old 25th July 2019, 07:33 AM   #299
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I assume that if he actually has incriminating evidence on powerful persons he'd have one of those arrangements where "if I am found dead by any means the contents of my hidden safeth deposit box will be sent to the authorities and news agencies by my associates unknown to you". No intelligent blackmailer would omit such a safeguard against murder.
I don't quite buy the "Epstein is an operative with a black book of people he blackmails" story; if Trump, as has been reported, did cross him and possibly help get him arrested, why didn't he retaliate against Trump?
Not doing so would only make sense if Trump was literally protected by the Russian Mob.
Old 25th July 2019, 07:35 AM   #300
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

You can pay an underage girl as much money as you want for sex - it's still not prostitution.
Paying somebody to have sex is the definition of prostitution (Wikipedia). Having sex with an underage girl is statutory rape (Wikipedia), but many other terms are used:

GZ: Did you mean that the under age girl won't be considered to be a prostitute? That's generally true, but the people offering the child and the person paying for the sex will be charged with engaging in prostitution.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 07:38 AM   #301
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I don't quite buy the "Epstein is an operative with a black book of people he blackmails" story; if Trump, as has been reported, did cross him and possibly help get him arrested, why didn't he retaliate against Trump?
Not doing so would only make sense if Trump was literally protected by the Russian Mob.
I'm no fan of Trump, but there are far worse (and more capable) people than he, and worse mobs than the Russians.

Yeah, I doubt Epstein was doing any actual blackmail. He doesn't seem to have needed to in that he was (until now) able to get away with his activities, and had plenty of money.
Old 25th July 2019, 07:57 AM   #302
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
GZ: Did you mean that the under age girl won't be considered to be a prostitute? That's generally true, but the people offering the child and the person paying for the sex will be charged with engaging in prostitution.
yeah, that's my point.
Old 25th July 2019, 08:17 AM   #303
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm no fan of Trump, but there are far worse (and more capable) people than he, and worse mobs than the Russians.

Yeah, I doubt Epstein was doing any actual blackmail. He doesn't seem to have needed to in that he was (until now) able to get away with his activities, and had plenty of money.
I suspect that that's true, but I would not be surprised if he has material he could use if the need arises. If he's smart, he's saved up for a rainy day.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 08:35 AM   #304
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump being protected by the mob is one possibility. (Given what we know about his financial activities, it certainly can't be discounted.)

Another possibility is Epstein realized Trump has even more information that he COULD use against him should things escalate, and the prison sentence was relatively light given the problems he could be facing.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 08:41 AM   #305
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Another possibility is Epstein realized Trump has even more information that he COULD use against him should things escalate, and the prison sentence was relatively light given the problems he could be facing.
I reject that scenario: Trump can't shut up to safe his life. If he had some juicy gossip, he would spill it just to impress the person he is currently talking to.
Old 25th July 2019, 12:14 PM   #306
Checkmite

Allegedly, Epstein told the jailors that he was beat up by someone calling him a pedo. Which is something that is popularly known to happen from time to time in jails.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 12:17 PM   #307
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Trump being protected by the mob is one possibility. (Given what we know about his financial activities, it certainly can't be discounted.)
Yes it can; Trump doesn't have the money enough to pay or repay the mob anything, and just like every single bank he asked for a loan from except Deutsche, the mob would've been aware of that fact if he ever asked and told him to get bent.
Old 25th July 2019, 12:19 PM   #308
Checkmite

Epstein was found injured, post-attack. If it had been a "hit", he would've been found dead, not simply roughed up. His injuries didn't even require a trip to the hospital at last report.

Last edited by Checkmite; 25th July 2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 25th July 2019, 12:38 PM   #309
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Epstein was found injured, post-attack. If it had been a "hit", he would've been found dead, not simply roughed up. His injuries didn't even require a trip to the hospital at last report.
True.

But a warning wouldn't necessarily require serious injury. Not that I think it was, self-harm seems more likely, but that doesn't shut the door on conspiracy theories.
Old 25th July 2019, 12:50 PM   #310
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What tipped you off? The CT tags?
Many truths are said in jest. ct mode.
Old 25th July 2019, 12:57 PM   #311
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

No time to look this up for myself right now, but is Epstein in a facility where the other inmates would like not care about a(nother) murder charge, or is he in facility where the other inmates might balk at a murder?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 02:16 PM   #312
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Those suspected or convicted of sexual offenses against children tend to have a lot of animosity directed against them in prison.
Old 25th July 2019, 02:59 PM   #313
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Or get a more comfortable infirmary bed.
Old 27th July 2019, 07:33 AM   #314
dann
Philosopher

New accusations:
Early Jeffrey Epstein Accuser Offers Chilling Details from Alleged 1997 Attack (Rolling Stone, July 26, 2019)
Prosecutors in Jeffrey Epstein sex traffic case investigating ‘uncharged individuals’: Court filing (CNBC, July 26, 2019)
Old 28th July 2019, 12:54 AM   #315
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The original "sweetheart deal" negotiated by Acosta was far more problematic, and was weighted a lot more heavily in favour of Epstein and against his victims than first thought.

Video from youtuber Legal Eagle's "Real Law Review" a series where he tries to tackle the most important legal issues of the day.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 07:11 AM   #316
dann
Philosopher

I didn't think this case could get any more disgusting.
It makes me doubt the argument against some conspiracy theories that the number of people involved would make it impossible to keep it a secret. I wonder how many of the government officials involved in this case were paid off, promised promotions, blackmailed with threats of demotions etc.
Old 28th July 2019, 07:29 AM   #317
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Those suspected or convicted of sexual offenses against children tend to have a lot of animosity directed against them in prison.
Not if everyone else in your wing in the prison is also convicted of the same crime
Old 28th July 2019, 08:53 AM   #318
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Not if everyone else in your wing in the prison is also convicted of the same crime
I defer to your greater knowledge of the subject.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 09:34 AM   #319
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

You're assuming little or no hypocrisy or projection on the part of the other inmates. I think that's a highly questionable assumption.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 12:05 PM   #320
Checkmite

Epstein is not in prison, though; he's in jail, awaiting trial. It IS more than a semantic distinction; nobody in "his wing" is convicted of anything yet, let alone child molestation. At most they would be accused of, like Epstein. But as we know, there aren't separate facilities in New York for remanding those accused of sex crimes, and he's in a place where accused people are being held before trial irrespective of whatever they're charged with.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events