ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jeffrey Epstein , sex offenders , sex trafficking

Old 11th August 2019, 12:13 AM   #401
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
He's certainly been laying low. That in itself is suspicious.
Would been simple given how incognito they would be now if JFK, Elvis and Andy Kaufman pretended to be retired prison guards on a sponsored tour of their old joint, with the endorsement from Trump and Clinton.

This is starting to get real
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:25 AM   #402
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The most immediately striking question is why on earth do you misspell "scissors" in that way? Unless it's a heavy metal band, in which case the spelling would be acceptable.

Twizted Sizzors?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:41 AM   #403
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Twizted Sizzors?!
Sizzored blizzard wizards

Fusion of heavy metal, Celtic music, with weird cult images such as logo featuring bad weather and dark magic
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:53 AM   #404
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to have a civil discussion about this guy and his supposed political connections on social media.

Me too. Everyone seems convinced that Hillary had him whacked because we all know arranging a prison assassination of the most high profile prisoner in the nation is way easy for someone that successfully rigged a presidential election.

Oh....I'm being told she lost the election.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 02:57 AM   #405
Arcade22
Philosopher

Epstein was a wealthy socialite with 1000s of friends.

Idiots: "Oh **** here's a picture of Epstein with _______!!"
Not just friends, but probably more commonly hanger ons and groupies who were just looking to benefit from his wealth, status and connections.

That's exactly how he himself got rich: he became a close asociate and eventual friend of Lex Wesner, somehow managing to get his power of attorney which he used for self-enrichment, even though there doesn't seem to be any good reason for giving him that.

Last edited by Arcade22; 11th August 2019 at 02:58 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 03:05 AM   #406
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Here's a short twitter thread from attorney Ken White (aka Popehat) explaining the very basic misconception that would lead someone to believe it just had to be murder.
I enjoyed the NRA-level comment that if only he'd had a gun, he could have prevented himself committing suicide.
Old 11th August 2019, 03:47 AM   #407
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Not just friends, but probably more commonly hanger ons and groupies who were just looking to benefit from his wealth, status and connections.

That's exactly how he himself got rich: he became a close asociate and eventual friend of Lex Wesner, somehow managing to get his power of attorney which he used for self-enrichment, even though there doesn't seem to be any good reason for giving him that.
I would have said just old rich influential dudes wanting to shag under age girls, but I get your point

Old 11th August 2019, 04:21 AM   #408
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by Travis View Post

applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:41 AM   #409
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I would have said just old rich influential dudes wanting to shag under age girls, but I get your point
Yes, the people who were more often rich enough to be able to travel and live abroad at their leisure, including in countries where it would not be illegal to have sex with teenagers aged 14 and older, would still be dependent on Jeffrey Epstein to find said teenagers for sex. Again it's this part that really stands out in his behavior: Epstein should've been able to avoid much of criminal liability involved had he not insisted on doing it in the US. That's what smart rich people do.

Last edited by Arcade22; 11th August 2019 at 04:45 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 07:36 AM   #410
elgarak
Illuminator

Yes, the people who were more often rich enough to be able to travel and live abroad at their leisure, including in countries where it would not be illegal to have sex with teenagers aged 14 and older, would still be dependent on Jeffrey Epstein to find said teenagers for sex. Again it's this part that really stands out in his behavior: Epstein should've been able to avoid much of criminal liability involved had he not insisted on doing it in the US. That's what smart rich people do.
Who said anything about smart?
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:08 AM   #411
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
How do you go from him claiming he was beat up to that?
Epstein claimed he was beat up (according to news reports). Even so, some speculated that the incident was actually a "failed hit".

I am questioning the latter speculation by pointing out the lack of evidence that "failed hits" that leave so little evidence are an actual thing that happens. Epstein was found on the floor of his cell with a bruise on his neck. That means whoever supposedly attacked Epstein wasn't interrupted mid-act, but rather had time to complete his "work" to his satisfaction and leave of his own volition. If all Epstein had at the end of it was a bruise, the most reasonable interpretation is that that's all the attacker intended. If the attacker had intended to kill Epstein, Epstein would have been dead.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:18 AM   #412
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Epstein claimed he was beat up (according to news reports). Even so, some speculated that the incident was actually a "failed hit".

I am questioning the latter speculation by pointing out the lack of evidence that "failed hits" that leave so little evidence are an actual thing that happens. Epstein was found on the floor of his cell with a bruise on his neck. That means whoever supposedly attacked Epstein wasn't interrupted mid-act, but rather had time to complete his "work" to his satisfaction and leave of his own volition. If all Epstein had at the end of it was a bruise, the most reasonable interpretation is that that's all the attacker intended. If the attacker had intended to kill Epstein, Epstein would have been dead.
It gets to quite an elaborate assassination plan that provides a false non-lethal attack followed by the actual hit.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:06 PM   #413
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Politico has a transcript of one of the lawsuits naming Trump and Epstein:

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000...8-b67d3bc00000
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:13 PM   #414
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Politico has a transcript of one of the lawsuits naming Trump and Epstein:

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000...8-b67d3bc00000
What's Trump's role in suit?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:15 PM   #415
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Maybe, maybe not. Most people don't know how long it takes to strangle someone, movies/tv make it seem like it takes less than a minute and shortly after they lose consciousness it's good to let go.
Old 11th August 2019, 12:19 PM   #416
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That he engaged in sex with under age of consent females.
Old 11th August 2019, 12:44 PM   #417
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I suggest you look at pages 2 and 3

I can't quote the allegations because of the obscenity rules.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That he engaged in sex with under age of consent females.
It's more than that. It's not "merely" statutory rape, but actual forcing someone who was saying no.

ETA: She has another witness - a former employee of Epstein.
Quote:
It was at these series of parties that I personally witnessed the Plaintiff being forced to perform

various sexual acts with Donald J. Trump and Mr. Epstein. Both Mr. Trump and Mr. Epstein were
advised that she was 13 years old.

I personally witnessed four sexual encounters that the Plaintiff was forced to have with Mr.

Trump during this period, including the fourth of these encounters where Mr. Trump forcibly raped her
despite her pleas to stop.

Last edited by jimbob; 11th August 2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11th August 2019, 12:55 PM   #418
carlitos
"más divertido"

He’s the guy wearing his tie way too long with scotch tape on the back.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:07 PM   #419
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Most people don't know how long it takes to strangle someone, movies/tv make it seem like it takes less than a minute and shortly after they lose consciousness it's good to let go.
If the idea is that somebody on the inside was hired by extremely influential persons to commit this assassination, it's not very plausible the person they would choose is some moron in for tax evasion whose knowledge about killing people comes from television.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:17 PM   #420
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Quick straw-poll;

- do you accept as true the allegations that Epstein ran what amounted to a bordello on a private island, which he 'stocked' with underage girls?

- did a substantial number of (wealthy and influential) associates of his, including some very famous names, make use of this bordello and the girls?

- alternatively, were some/most/all of these names (logged on flights to the island, some numerous times) there for completely innocent reasons?

His 'associations' are being danced around somewhat in the corporate media (surprise, surprise) here in the UK, with the exception of the national network news programs repeatedly running footage of Epstein and Trump together sometime in the 1980's (even more surprising!).
Old 11th August 2019, 01:18 PM   #421
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Movies never get it right.

When you strangle someone you can
cut off the blood supply to the brain
crush the trachea
or both.
So it depends.
Old 11th August 2019, 01:18 PM   #422
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Me too. Everyone seems convinced that Hillary had him whacked because we all know arranging a prison assassination of the most high profile prisoner in the nation is way easy for someone that successfully rigged a presidential election.

"Dude, Venom, are you some child molester or something?

Why do you keep going on about this?"

Maybe cause you're being a paranoid ******* **** who cares more about pointing fingers than facts. Just a thought.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:56 PM   #423
Checkmite

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
- do you accept as true the allegations that Epstein ran what amounted to a bordello on a private island, which he 'stocked' with underage girls?
I do not believe so.

My impression is that Epstein acquired a handful of underage girls primarily for his own use, and occasionally allowed select friends whose predilections were known to him to have access to one of them. I'm not convinced yet that it was some kind of business venture where providing entertainment for paying visitor/customers was the main point. More of a harem than a bordello, if you will.
Old 11th August 2019, 01:56 PM   #424
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

"Dude, Venom, are you some child molester or something?

Why do you keep going on about this?"

Maybe cause you're being a paranoid ******* **** who cares more about pointing fingers than facts. Just a thought.
Well in this case Travis is sarcastically referring to Trump's accusations against Clinton over this case.

Which, even for him, is low.
Old 11th August 2019, 02:53 PM   #425
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Well in this case Travis is sarcastically referring to Trump's accusations against Clinton over this case.

Which, even for him, is low.
Agreed. If what is claimed about Trump, Clinton or any of the others is true then I wish them a lot of physical pain for the rest of their lives. This goes for anyone who covered it up because a lot of people knew what Epstein was doing. I suspected Bill years ago, but he is certainly not the only one. Any man who flew to Epstein's island is suspect.

Hopefully Epstein's death only serves to accelerate the process of figuring out who did what.
Old 11th August 2019, 03:45 PM   #426
Venom
Illuminator

A lot of people including scientists, diplomats and their staff went to Epstein's island. I'd bet most if it was purely business and he kept it under wraps more than people think.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:08 PM   #427
Arcade22
Philosopher

A lot of people including scientists, diplomats and their staff went to Epstein's island. I'd bet most if it was purely business and he kept it under wraps more than people think.
And yet even seemingly reasonable people have a propensity to find satanic child abuse style nonsense actually believable.

The British police spent years investigating what was quite obviously incredible and unbelievable allegations, only to find out that the supposed secret society of murderous pedophiles, operating at the highest levels of British society, was nothing more than a complete fabrication of a pedophile fantasist. And yet the police publicly stated from the outset the allegations were "true and credible".

There are strong similarities here too, so it shouldn't come as a shock that some people don't find it all that unbelievable that Epstein was pimping out young children to Bill and Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump and other notable individuals for their murderous satanic pedophile orgies. Because that's what rich and famous people do when they can get away with it...

Last edited by Arcade22; 11th August 2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11th August 2019, 04:11 PM   #428
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Indeed

Obviously can't rule all of them out 100%, but I think the conferences with Stephen Hawking and the Nobel prize laureates were more to big up the geezers ego and own sense of importance rather than "getting the brainy dudes some flesh"

Old 11th August 2019, 04:15 PM   #429
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Epstein was bascially a high class pimp, frankly.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:18 PM   #430
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Quick straw-poll;

Based on my knowledge of how over-privileged, rich, white men act, yes. Not a paying brothel, but "Hey guys, come and have sex with a young teen on my private island!"

At the very least, I'd go with Epstein being asked about all the young girls he was with and him saying "Yeah, which one do you want?"

- did a substantial number of (wealthy and influential) associates of his, including some very famous names, make use of this bordello and the girls?
Less doubt on this one. Prince Andrew is the big one. Trump & Clinton wouldn't surprise me, but Andrew would surprise me if he hadn't.

Let's face it - these guys all clearly knew what Epstein was up to. He made no secret of it, and you couldn't possibly have spent time around his place without knowing what was going on.

Did any of them act to stop it?

No, because lots of them were enjoying the fruits of Epstein's orchard of young fruit.

- alternatively, were some/most/all of these names (logged on flights to the island, some numerous times) there for completely innocent reasons?
Charity. Yeah, that was it - it was all about his charitable work.

There's a Tui billboard in that somewhere.
Old 11th August 2019, 04:21 PM   #431
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I do not believe so.

My impression is that Epstein acquired a handful of underage girls primarily for his own use, and occasionally allowed select friends whose predilections were known to him to have access to one of them. I'm not convinced yet that it was some kind of business venture where providing entertainment for paying visitor/customers was the main point. More of a harem than a bordello, if you will.
We still have the issue of how did he make his money?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:37 PM   #432
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Well it was probably not because he was prostituting teenagers:

Quote:
The clearest sign of Mr. Wexner’s nearly limitless comfort with Mr. Epstein came in July 1991. Mr. Wexner signed a three-page legal document, known as a power of attorney, that enabled Mr. Epstein to hire people, sign checks, buy and sell properties and borrow money — all on Mr. Wexner’s behalf. Mr. Epstein, the document stated, had the “full power and authority to do and perform every act necessary” for Mr. Wexner.

“It takes a vast amount of trust to give someone total control,” said William P. LaPiana, an associate dean at New York Law School and a trust and estates expert who reviewed the document at the request of The Times. “Essentially what this means is, I can sign your name to anything.”

For the next 16 years, that document gave Mr. Epstein unmatched authority over Mr. Wexner’s financial affairs — and it corresponded to a period in which Mr. Epstein came to control or own valuable assets that previously belonged to Mr. Wexner or his companies.

Soon, Mr. Epstein’s name appeared on numerous Securities and Exchange Commission filings, listing him as a trustee for a series of ambiguously named entities like Health and Science Interests, Health and Science Interests II and International Charitable Interests, as well as trusts for Mr. Wexner’s children. Mr. Epstein had voting power over those interests, which came to own millions of dollars’ worth of Limited shares.

In Swiss banking documents related to some of Mr. Wexner’s entities, Mr. Epstein’s role was described as “manager of fortune.” The documents were included in an enormous leak of confidential records to the French newspaper Le Monde. They were shared with The Times through a collaboration organized by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/b...as-secret.html

Maybe Leslie Wexner was one of those "over-privileged, rich, white men", who'd have no problem at all just going to some guys private island to have sex with underage teenagers, no matter how obviously exposed that leaves them to blackmail from people like Epstein let alone legal penalties.

Last edited by Arcade22; 11th August 2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11th August 2019, 04:43 PM   #433
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Well it was probably not because he was prostituting teenagers:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/b...as-secret.html

Maybe Leslie Wexner was one of those "over-privileged, rich, white men", who'd have no problem at all just going to some guys private island to have sex with underage teenagers, no matter how obviously exposed that leaves them to blackmail from people like Epstein let alone legal penalties.
One explanation, of many possible with no regard to probability, is that power of attorney was a blackmail payment.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:36 PM   #434
Checkmite

Epstein using the underage prostitutes for blackmail doesn't make sense, because it's either a two-headed snake or a wolf with no teeth, depending on how you look at it. Epstein couldn't expose anyone without taking himself down at the same time. He was not in a position to blackmail anyone.
Old 11th August 2019, 05:54 PM   #435
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Epstein using the underage prostitutes for blackmail doesn't make sense, because it's either a two-headed snake or a wolf with no teeth, depending on how you look at it. Epstein couldn't expose anyone without taking himself down at the same time. He was not in a position to blackmail anyone.

True, but it isn't that simple. The one being blackmailed might feel he has more to lose. Public figures tend to be like that.

Epstein being exposed as even more of a sleaze wouldn't really change things for him that much.

As long as it didn't involve prison time, of course.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 07:15 PM   #436
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

To always leave the jacket unbuttoned like a clod.
Old 11th August 2019, 07:27 PM   #437
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Good point. It can just be payment from r elicit activity. No need to complicate an honest transaction.
Old 11th August 2019, 10:59 PM   #438
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Less doubt on this one. Prince Andrew is the big one. Trump & Clinton wouldn't surprise me, but Andrew would surprise me if he hadn't.

Let's face it - these guys all clearly knew what Epstein was up to. He made no secret of it, and you couldn't possibly have spent time around his place without knowing what was going on.

Did any of them act to stop it?

No, because lots of them were enjoying the fruits of Epstein's orchard of young fruit.
I’ve not followed the case so I’m wondering how you know this is true?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:26 PM   #439
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I’ve not followed the case so I’m wondering how you know this is true?
I don't know it's true, but given the weight of evidence, I think it's pretty likely, especially when someone as outright thick as Trump even noticed that he likes them "younger".
Old 11th August 2019, 11:43 PM   #440
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Do the words "ponzi scheme" mean anything to you?
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events