ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Closed Thread
Old 16th August 2019, 01:28 PM   #321
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Again, it's like you don't even read what you are replying to. Do you not understand what the complaint is regarding the cockwomble's tweet?
Arron Banks is a deeply unpleasant POS who almost certainly used corrupt tactics to bring about a 'leave' vote over Brexit.

He's hardly got any morals anyway, so who cares what his opinion on climate change is. He's in the same corner as Katie Hopkins and probably thrives on being perceived as a 'hater'.
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 01:28 PM   #322
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Arron Banks is a deeply unpleasant POS who almost certainly used corrupt tactics to bring about a 'leave' vote over Brexit.

He's hardly got any morals anyway, so who cares what his opinion on climate change is. He's in the same corner as Katie Hopkins and probably thrives on being perceived as a 'hater'.
So the answer is that, no, you don't actually understand what the complain is.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 01:35 PM   #323
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Are you unfamiliar with human communication? I ask because you seem to be having a completely different conversation than the rest of us.

No, they aren't supposed to hide in a corner. They are supposed to not take a swipe at Greta Thunberg, or else they will be rightly called out as haters. This isn't rocket science. Apply some thought and I'm sure you'll get it.
So as far as you are concerned anyone who doesn't wholly support the mission statement of Greenpeace and Extinction Rebellion are 'haters'.

Yet they may have come to their views equally as scientifically as Greta and her parents.

A more moderate view is to concur we should cut down on our carbon footprint and stop plastic and micro-particle pollution but are not convinced that schoolchildren going on strike or hurray Henry's blocking the roads to stop people going to work or visiting dying parents in hospital is so absolutely essential and urgent that anyone who doesn't fully back these activities is a 'hater'.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 01:39 PM   #324
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

So as far as you are concerned anyone who doesn't wholly support the mission statement of Greenpeace and Extinction Rebellion are 'haters'.
Jesus Christ...

Read my post again. I'm not going to make this any easier for you, because it's easy enough to understand as it is, and watching you struggle has started to take on a kind of morbid fascination for me.

Yet they may have come to their views equally as scientifically as Greta and her parents.
People who deny climate change cannot have come to their views scientifically, per definition.

A more moderate view is to concur we should cut down on our carbon footprint and stop plastic and micro-particle pollution but are not convinced that schoolchildren going on strike or hurray Henry's blocking the roads to stop people going to work or visiting dying parents in hospital is so absolutely essential and urgent that anyone who doesn't fully back these activities is a 'hater'.
No, that's not a moderate view. That's a cowardly view that isn't going any length towards solving the problem. As for the "hater" thing, I'm interested to see how long it's going to take you to figure it out.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 02:06 PM   #325
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Her dad is with her so it's not much different from a parent taking their kid along with them for the ride. To see the news reports one could be forgiven for thinking she was a lone traveller, aside from the crew. There are also two cameramen so I expect there'll be some lucrative commercial vlogging to pay their fees and for the charter of the yacht.
Old 16th August 2019, 03:51 PM   #326
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Her dad is with her so it's not much different from a parent taking their kid along with them for the ride. To see the news reports one could be forgiven for thinking she was a lone traveller, aside from the crew. There are also two cameramen so I expect there'll be some lucrative commercial vlogging to pay their fees and for the charter of the yacht.
Charter for the yacht? I thought you said Greta's parents bought it for her. It and the whole crew.

Can her parents do anything right in your eyes?

Also, why are you still so determined to deprive Greta Thunberg of any agency? Are you jealous that she's doing more at her age than you've managed to do during your whole life, so it just has to be her parents?

Old 17th August 2019, 01:58 AM   #327
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Charter for the yacht? I thought you said Greta's parents bought it for her. It and the whole crew.

Also, why are you still so determined to deprive Greta Thunberg of any agency? Are you jealous that she's doing more at her age than you've managed to do during your whole life, so it just has to be her parents?
From Twitter:

https://twitter.com/thehistoryguy/st...12074861199360

Quote:
Dan Snow
@thehistoryguy
At around Greta's age Alexander was subduing Thrace and crushing the Illyrians. Joan scattered the English at Orleans. Prince Hal hunted Glyndwr across Wales.

It's our aged society that is unusual. Not Greta.
I wonder if she'll see any mermaids?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 17th August 2019 at 02:01 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 02:01 AM   #328
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I went to Devil's Point in Plymouth to see Greta off on her journey to the US. Here's a photo I took of her waving at me:

Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 02:06 AM   #329
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
God, the replies to that tweet are depressing. Ad-hominem and whataboutism galore.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 02:09 AM   #330
Matthew Best
Philosopher

You can follow her boat's progress across the Atlantic here:

www.borisherrmannracing.com/a-race-we-must-win
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 03:19 AM   #331
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I went to Devil's Point in Plymouth to see Greta off on her journey to the US. Here's a photo I took of her waving at me:

Good show. I wish I was there.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 08:55 AM   #332
Arcade22
Philosopher

There's something perversely comical about adults literally resorting to schoolyard style bullying against a teenage youth.
Old 17th August 2019, 09:21 AM   #333
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Why is she going? She has nothing to contribute.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 10:02 AM   #334
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Why is she going? She has nothing to contribute.

Why are you opposed to her going? It seems you think she does have something to contribute, which you'd prefer she didn't.
Old 17th August 2019, 10:11 AM   #335
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Why are you opposed to her going? It seems you think she does have something to contribute, which you'd prefer she didn't.
How do you reach that conclusion? I literally indicated the issue is don't be there if you are not really contributing. There are other places you can go and hang around people with no power making no contributions. Like this forum.

Though admittedly, my objection is more with her December leg of the trip than this one.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 17th August 2019 at 10:13 AM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 10:55 AM   #336
Myriad
Hyperthetical

How do you reach that conclusion? I literally indicated the issue is don't be there if you are not really contributing. There are other places you can go and hang around people with no power making no contributions. Like this forum.

Though admittedly, my objection is more with her December leg of the trip than this one.

Well, that might be a believable excuse, if you had some sort of track record of being consistently opposed to people being places where they weren't really contributing. That's something that happens pretty often, for instance with sports spectators, protestors, bloggers and other amateur journalists, tourists, non-presenting conference attendees, sightseers and so forth.

But you've singled out Thunberg on that basis. Curious, and not really plausible. I think my original assessment still stands up pretty well.
Old 17th August 2019, 11:00 AM   #337
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Well, that might be a believable excuse, if you had some sort of track record of being consistently opposed to people being places where they weren't really contributing. That's something that happens pretty often, for instance with sports spectators, protestors, bloggers and other amateur journalists, tourists, non-presenting conference attendees, sightseers and so forth.

But you've singled out Thunberg on that basis. Curious, and not really plausible. I think my original assessment still stands up pretty well.
I definitely oppose live sporting event attendance.
Old 17th August 2019, 11:19 AM   #338
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Probably because I don't think it's a valid point.
Just to check, cos I missed your answer last time:

You don't believe global warming is happening? Or do you? Or do you believe it's not man made?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 11:24 AM   #339
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
There's something perversely comical about adults literally resorting to schoolyard style bullying against a teenage youth.

She scares them. A lot. They know that the usual tactics of obfuscate, ad hom, distract and vilify look extremely petty when leveled at the young.

She scares the **** out of them because people are listening to her. It's why they descend to what they view as insults like 'her parents helped'.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 12:43 PM   #340
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Just to check, cos I missed your answer last time:

You don't believe global warming is happening? Or do you? Or do you believe it's not man made?
The vogue amongst many right wingers nowadays is to be nihilistic about climate change. This is because they have lost the argument about whether or not it's real in the eyes of the general public. The trick now is to get people so apathetic about it so they see any action as meaningless. It's not a completely new tactic, but it seems to be the main focus nowadays, at least online. The crazies still deny it, of course, as do many of the loonier politicians, but the big dogs on the right know when to fold a losing hand.

I'm not saying theprestige is knowingly using this tactic. I'm sure he just follows the leader.

Old 17th August 2019, 01:04 PM   #341
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Not at all. I can remember the scares about nuclear war. Every generation has their own cause. I did climate change from a business POV as a case study. Companies producing and selling solar panels were making huge profits and there was a scandal when quite a few of them went under, taking their creditors' monies with them.

If you look up the Thunbergs on Google you will will see Greta is backed by profit making organisations hoping to cash in on the green economy.

All this gumpf that no-one is allowed to dare say a sceptical word because Greta is a 'sixteen-year-old child with autism' is a logical fallacy.

Greta is sincere but her parents and the big corporations pushing her forward are rubbing their hands in glee and can hear the kerching sounds the more PR she gets.

I am sorry if an obvious truth is too hard for you to bear but I am not going to act as though Greta is some kind of messiah.
Old 17th August 2019, 01:05 PM   #342
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post

Great pic. Is that her dad at the back keeping out of the lime light?
Old 17th August 2019, 01:13 PM   #343
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Not at all. I can remember the scares about nuclear war. Every generation has their own cause. I did climate change from a business POV as a case study. Companies producing and selling solar panels were making huge profits and there was a scandal when quite a few of them went under, taking their creditors' monies with them.
Ok, so the reason you deny Greta any agency is because some green companies took creditors' money? That doesn't make any sense.

If you look up the Thunbergs on Google you will will see Greta is backed by profit making organisations hoping to cash in on the green economy.
I'm sure they are backing her cause. Are they directly sponsoring her? Can you prove that they are?

Did you know that all sponsors for the yacht have had their logos stripped for this voyage?

All this gumpf that no-one is allowed to dare say a sceptical word because Greta is a 'sixteen-year-old child with autism' is a logical fallacy.
No, that sentence is a logical fallacy, specifically a straw man fallacy.

Greta is sincere but her parents and the big corporations pushing her forward are rubbing their hands in glee and can hear the kerching sounds the more PR she gets.
I asked you to prove this before. Put up or shut up.

I am sorry if an obvious truth is too hard for you to bear but I am not going to act as though Greta is some kind of messiah.
If it's so obvious you shouldn't have any trouble at all proving it. Thus far you have failed spectacularly, despite being called on your BS multiple times.

Stop running your mouth and start producing evidence.

Old 17th August 2019, 01:16 PM   #344
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Him being present would no doubt be a bad thing because the sneak is trying to keep away from the cameras (by going on his daughters highly publicized trip), and likewise, him not being there would be a bad thing because he would be leaving his vulnerable daughter alone on a boat trip over the Atlantic.

Am I right, Vixen? Poor guy just can't catch a break from you. Guess he should be glad nobody important listens to you, unlike his daughter.

Old 17th August 2019, 01:28 PM   #345
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Him being present would no doubt be a bad thing because the sneak is trying to keep away from the cameras (by going on his daughters highly publicized trip), and likewise, him not being there would be a bad thing because he would be leaving his vulnerable daughter alone on a boat trip over the Atlantic.

Am I right, Vixen? Poor guy just can't catch a break from you. Guess he should be glad nobody important listens to you, unlike his daughter.
He and his wife are ardent 'green' activists, are they not? Because of their social status they have had reams of articles in Dagens Nyheter, have they not?

So why doesn't Greta and her parents all pose together? I'll tell you why, because the carefully constructed image of 'Greta the lone warrior' is a great media magnet.

Rather like the secretly married pop stars of yesteryear had to pretend they were single so as not to put the fans off and ruin their earning power.
Old 17th August 2019, 01:46 PM   #346
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

So why doesn't Greta and her parents all pose together?
Like this?

Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 01:50 PM   #347
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

He's just hungry for the attention.

Why doesn't he stay in the background?

Why did he keep her mother out of the picture?
Old 17th August 2019, 02:30 PM   #348
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

He and his wife are ardent 'green' activists, are they not? Because of their social status they have had reams of articles in Dagens Nyheter, have they not?
The father is a fairly well known actor and the mother is an opera singer. They are bound to have many articles printed about them.

But, again, your reply to my post has nothing to do with my post. I don't understand why you bother quoting me when you are going to discuss something completely different to what I was discussing. Again, it's like you don't understand the basics of human communication.

So why doesn't Greta and her parents all pose together? I'll tell you why, because the carefully constructed image of 'Greta the lone warrior' is a great media magnet.
Which percentage of photos of them posing together would disprove this nonsense for you?

And if that percentage is too high, will you immediately flip and claim that it proves that they are behind her efforts?

Rather like the secretly married pop stars of yesteryear had to pretend they were single so as not to put the fans off and ruin their earning power.
I don't even...

Last edited by uke2se; 17th August 2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 17th August 2019, 02:43 PM   #349
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

As I said, this is less of a deal than her December portion. This summit literally has a youth summit (which she is too young for)?

Because important things have youth summits. Remember how important that youth summit was in planning operation overlord?
Old 17th August 2019, 02:47 PM   #350
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

He's just hungry for the attention.

Why doesn't he stay in the background?

Why did he keep her mother out of the picture?
Surely the lack of pictures of Greta posing with George Soros proves that he's behind her efforts, doesn't it? I mean, why aren't they posing together? It is, of course, because the image George Soros has created for Greta is that of a lone warrior. It's all very logical.

Old 17th August 2019, 03:16 PM   #351
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I think youíve nailed it.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 03:22 PM   #352
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This would be an interesting comment if she had done something.
Old 17th August 2019, 03:47 PM   #353
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

This would be an interesting comment if she had done something.
I know you like to play Spock, but raising global warming on the political agenda is an achievement.
Old 17th August 2019, 04:03 PM   #354
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I know you like to play Spock, but raising global warming on the political agenda is an achievement.
That was awesome when the first million people did it. Al Gore for example. Through no fault of her own, the returns are extremely diminished.
Old 17th August 2019, 05:50 PM   #355
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The father is a fairly well known actor and the mother is an opera singer. They are bound to have many articles printed about them.

But, again, your reply to my post has nothing to do with my post. I don't understand why you bother quoting me when you are going to discuss something completely different to what I was discussing. Again, it's like you don't understand the basics of human communication.

Which percentage of photos of them posing together would disprove this nonsense for you?

And if that percentage is too high, will you immediately flip and claim that it proves that they are behind her efforts?

I don't even...

The articles aren't about them. It is pages of Malena hammering home the climate change message.

Malena and Svante (named after Svante Arnnehius, not Svante Sture) are archetypal proud parents living vicariously through their daughter/s.

Good luck to them but let's not pretend Greta is any random schoolgirl.
Old 17th August 2019, 05:51 PM   #356
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You can't possibly know what I've done in my lifetime.
Old 17th August 2019, 05:52 PM   #357
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

That's well and good but she's not the first by a long chalk.
Old 17th August 2019, 05:54 PM   #358
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

That was awesome when the first million people did it. Al Gore for example. Through no fault of her own, the returns are extremely diminished.
Life is an Instagram account, now? "Hey, we got a million likes and Lady Gaga retweeted us, we can stop protesting the pulp mill pumping arsenic into the reservoir, Marge. Wanna play some Dungeons and Dragons for the rest of our lives?"

If what little she does helps to boost awareness, I'm all for it. What's the downside, really? No one's taking your hard-earned rights to your individual property away. Do you have better things she could be doing with the funds that she's using? They're not YOUR funds, doesn't it fly in the face of all Bob-Logic that you would give a rat's ass what she does?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 06:06 PM   #359
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Life is an Instagram account, now? "Hey, we got a million likes and Lady Gaga retweeted us, we can stop protesting the pulp mill pumping arsenic into the reservoir, Marge. Wanna play some Dungeons and Dragons for the rest of our lives?"

If what little she does helps to boost awareness, I'm all for it. What's the downside, really? No one's taking your hard-earned rights to your individual property away. Do you have better things she could be doing with the funds that she's using? They're not YOUR funds, doesn't it fly in the face of all Bob-Logic that you would give a rat's ass what she does?
I haven't thought about any sort of financial or property costs. As far as I was concerned she was using a teleportation circle. I was discussing her level of accomplishment in an absolute sense and not a marginal benefit vs marginal costs.
Old 17th August 2019, 06:09 PM   #360
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Not sure which one is her dad - he is on the boat with her, though.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events