ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags defamation cases , lawsuits , media criticism , Nathan Phillips , Nick Sandmann , protest incidents , racism charges

Reply
Old 15th August 2019, 03:55 PM   #2281
Tony
Penultimate Amazing
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,408
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So you would consider voting for a racist because you like his financial policy ideas to not be a racist act? You know you're voting for someone who will cause people of color to take it in the shorts but that's okay because he's good for your 401K. Yeah, nothing remotely racist about that.
Why are “people of color” elevated to some kind of sacred cow? Does the policy magically become less racist if white people take it in the shorts as well? On your Racist O’Meter, what ratio of “people of color” to “people of whiteness” does it take until the racism kicks in?
__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:09 PM   #2282
Hungry81
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,248
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So you would consider voting for a racist because you like his financial policy ideas to not be a racist act? You know you're voting for someone who will cause people of color to take it in the shorts but that's okay because he's good for your 401K. Yeah, nothing remotely racist about that.
Are people of colour who vote for Trump racist?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:40 PM   #2283
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9,411
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Are people of colour who vote for Trump racist?
Not racist. Just not very bright.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 05:56 PM   #2284
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,985
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Are people of colour who vote for Trump racist?
No, they're ******* stupid. If I were getting kicked in the balls over and over again, I would not loan my attacker my steel-toed boots.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.

Last edited by Craig4; 15th August 2019 at 05:57 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 12:36 AM   #2285
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,019
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Are people of colour who vote for Trump racist?
Ever see Django Unchained? How would you characterize Samuel L Jackson's character?
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Zingiber Officinale

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 01:00 AM   #2286
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Why are “people of color” elevated to some kind of sacred cow? Does the policy magically become less racist if white people take it in the shorts as well? On your Racist O’Meter, what ratio of “people of color” to “people of whiteness” does it take until the racism kicks in?
Oh, this tired old **** again! Been hearing this from rednecks and bigots all my life.

Racism is a specific form of misanthropy, directed to persons of different race or skin tone. It's a rather stupid form of hatred, but a form nonetheless.

If one could find something consistent in policies that harmed six-toed individuals or actuaries or 4H Club members well-beyond non-members of those groups, we'd probably come up with a specific term (or terms) for those forms of bias and bigotry, but the topic is racism when it comes to Donald J. Trump because while he's equally dismissive and nasty towards other individuals, the one group that regularly gets the **** end of the stick with Trumpworld is POC... not solely blacks, not solely Muslims, not solely Mexicans or Hispanics.... but all conveniently Not White.

So, yeah, the Not Directed to White people surely sticks out, but if you can find some Miller-Barr-Trump policies that target other minorities, we're all ears and will be happy to rail against those, too.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 04:48 AM   #2287
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions
 
Beerina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,697
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So you would consider voting for a racist because you like his financial policy ideas to not be a racist act? You know you're voting for someone who will cause people of color to take it in the shorts but that's okay because he's good for your 401K. Yeah, nothing remotely racist about that.
Not every political concept carries the same weight to everybody. When the idiots at the top of the two parties offer you a choice between a racist (who's been largely stuffed because of resistance) and the potential halving of your 401k instead of steady growth, well, that's asking a hell of a lot from "the little people" to make that horrid choice. Some might very well pick the former and cross their fingers divided government will stuff the president's non-economic agendas.

You could've voted Libertarian and had social freedoms and economic freedoms, the best of both worlds. This current state is on you guys, partisans.
__________________
"Great innovations should not be forced [by way of] slender majorities." - Thomas Jefferson

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 16th August 2019 at 04:50 AM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 04:51 AM   #2288
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 86,023
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So you would consider voting for a racist because you like his financial policy ideas to not be a racist act? You know you're voting for someone who will cause people of color to take it in the shorts but that's okay because he's good for your 401K. Yeah, nothing remotely racist about that.
As I said in the post you quoted, it really depends on what you mean by "racist". None of the actual definitions I know of would make the above racist, so would you PLEASE provide your definition so we can talk about the same thing?

Or do you rather prefer said definition to be murky?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 04:53 AM   #2289
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 86,023
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Ever see Django Unchained? How would you characterize Samuel L Jackson's character?
Evil.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 09:29 AM   #2290
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 6,844
Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
You could've voted Libertarian and had social freedoms and economic freedoms, the best of both worlds. This current state is on you guys, partisans.
Wow, this whole time Libertarian's had all of the answers and everyone has just missed it?
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 09:39 AM   #2291
Tony
Penultimate Amazing
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,408
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
...the one group that regularly gets the **** end of the stick with Trumpworld is POC... not solely blacks, not solely Muslims, not solely Mexicans or Hispanics.... but all conveniently Not White.
Your lack of evidence is telling.

PS Hispanics, Mexican and Muslims can be white. Hanging around all those bigots and rednecks has rubbed off on you.
__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

Last edited by Tony; 16th August 2019 at 09:42 AM.
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 05:54 PM   #2292
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,428
MAGA brats mock Native American with "build the wall" chants

Can someone explain in precise terms how exactly POC have gotten the **** end of the stick under Trump? I’m no Trump fan but I hear this a lot without specifics.

ETA: I’m a POC, BTW....
__________________
Hello.

Last edited by xjx388; 16th August 2019 at 05:55 PM.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 06:01 PM   #2293
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,985
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
As I said in the post you quoted, it really depends on what you mean by "racist". None of the actual definitions I know of would make the above racist, so would you PLEASE provide your definition so we can talk about the same thing?

Or do you rather prefer said definition to be murky?
Point to me anyone on the right side of history who has made this argument.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 08:20 PM   #2294
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Your lack of evidence is telling.

PS Hispanics, Mexican and Muslims can be white. Hanging around all those bigots and rednecks has rubbed off on you.
Your intellectual bankruptcy is more telling. So, there!

You get bunged for dragging out one tired old poor argument and now you fall back on a second.

Your bog variety bigot is a simple minded sort and first falls back on the visual cues. Skin color/hue is one of them. If they want to hate on towel heads or beaners or spicks who don't have physical cues, they merely have to do a little book-learning to find out that they're different and thus worthy of hatred.

"See, we hate everyone who's not us, not just the ones we can spot from visual cues" is not a stellar argument. To yer average bigot, the skin color is just a quick-think bonus. Don't have to figure nothing out 'cuz they're darker.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 04:31 PM   #2295
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,428
You are calling people out for being racists but you have no problem using words like “towel-head”, “beaner” or “spick.” Interesting.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 05:01 PM   #2296
Cabbage
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,697
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
You are calling people out for being racists but you have no problem using words like “towel-head”, “beaner” or “spick.” Interesting.

Not really, if you try reading for comprehension.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 06:06 PM   #2297
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
You are calling people out for being racists but you have no problem using words like “towel-head”, “beaner” or “spick.” Interesting.
Like the bullets at Balaklava! (Zing! Right over your head.)
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 08:38 AM   #2298
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,428
Please explain what went over my head. If I were black and you used the n-word in any context would that be cool? No, it wouldn’t because the word would be nothing but asterisks.

So why is it OK to use the words you used, which are just as offensive to Mexican-Americans and Arab-Americans in any context?
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 09:14 AM   #2299
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Please explain what went over my head. If I were black and you used the n-word in any context would that be cool? No, it wouldn’t because the word would be nothing but asterisks.

So why is it OK to use the words you used, which are just as offensive to Mexican-Americans and Arab-Americans in any context?
It went over your head. That "ooh, you can't say that, it's racist" is an old and very tired conservative ploy. Did you miss the adventure when some poor feeble minded paleo tried desperately to set-up such a gotcha in the Bigots/Evil thread. "Ha ha, if I can just get one of 'em to admit that a black person is dumb, then I can call 'em racists."

What the forum censor recognizes as racism is not a definition of racism. The fact that you don't recognize that I was paraphrasing bigots is the indicator that it went right over your head. This **** has been tried on me several times before. Save it for the suckers down at the Trump rallies; they won't believe it either but they'll pretend they do.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 09:54 AM   #2300
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,428
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It went over your head. That "ooh, you can't say that, it's racist" is an old and very tired conservative ploy. Did you miss the adventure when some poor feeble minded paleo tried desperately to set-up such a gotcha in the Bigots/Evil thread. "Ha ha, if I can just get one of 'em to admit that a black person is dumb, then I can call 'em racists."



What the forum censor recognizes as racism is not a definition of racism. The fact that you don't recognize that I was paraphrasing bigots is the indicator that it went right over your head. This **** has been tried on me several times before. Save it for the suckers down at the Trump rallies; they won't believe it either but they'll pretend they do.


I see.

If some kids wear a red hat with the words “Make America Great Again” they get no quarter; they are quite obviously racist white supremacist brats. Even though they were basically just standing there -certainly not using any offensive terms.

But if you use the words you used it’s OK because you are liberal and you are just paraphrasing some hypothetical racists. Even though those words are offensive and racist in and of themselves,

As I said, it’s interesting.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 10:06 AM   #2301
Lurch
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
You are calling people out for being racists but you have no problem using words like “towel-head”, “beaner” or “spick.” Interesting.
Watch, say, Django Unchained. Modern art in which whites use the offensive N-word. When a valid point is being made, the use of a pejorative not intended to be an attack is not taken as an attack. By thinking people.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 10:15 AM   #2302
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,019
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Please explain what went over my head. If I were black and you used the n-word in any context would that be cool? No, it wouldn’t because the word would be nothing but asterisks.

So why is it OK to use the words you used, which are just as offensive to Mexican-Americans and Arab-Americans in any context?
It's okay because he's a liberal, and uses those words in a hipster, ironic way.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 11:10 AM   #2303
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,428
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Watch, say, Django Unchained. Modern art in which whites use the offensive N-word. When a valid point is being made, the use of a pejorative not intended to be an attack is not taken as an attack. By thinking people.

Your argument, then, is that intent is what’s important to thinking people? So if a white liberal ally walks up to a group of black people and says, “What’s up, my n-words,” with nothing but the same friendly and convivial intent black people often greet each other with, the black people should understand that . . . I mean, if they are thinking people, right?

Or maybe that white liberal ally understands that he isn’t an actor in a historical movie and that he shouldn’t use that word ever, no matter his intent?
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 11:37 AM   #2304
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 86,023
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Point to me anyone on the right side of history who has made this argument.
What argument? I'm asking you to define "racism" in your words. Are you going to pony up at some point?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 04:34 PM   #2305
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,985
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What argument? I'm asking you to define "racism" in your words. Are you going to pony up at some point?
Quote:
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
And your hyper rationalized little world, voting for a president who does this to people because you like his other policies somehow does not meet this definition? Whatever you have to tell yourself there dude.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 06:27 PM   #2306
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
Oh, for **** sake! Get a new playbook, righties. "I'm not the racist, you are!" That's so mature. Sorta like, "No, you're the puppet!", that moment of sophistication in the debates.

If the clown brigade is to be believed, Swift actually thought it was a good idea to eat the Irish. Are you really here, declaring for all to see, that you cannot read for comprehension?

This just shows that you're intellectually and morally bankrupt. You are so shell-shocked from having to rally around your standard-bearer and his racist, bigoted, xenophobic regime that you will try anything to win points.

Unlike Donnie Johnny I'm not going to claim I'm the least racist person on the planet, because also unlike Donnie Johnny, I recognize that we all have some racism in us; it's conditioning. But being accused of that which I never did is just plain scurrilous. I know what I wrote, and people who can read know how it was used.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 04:54 AM   #2307
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 86,023
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
And your hyper rationalized little world
Thanks for speaking out against rationality.

Quote:
voting for a president who does this to people because you like his other policies somehow does not meet this definition?
You just provided the evidence to contradict yourself!

Voting for someone, either despite that person's racism or by ignoring it, is not "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism". It may be laziness. It may be partisanship. It may be trolling. It may be a host of things but it's not hatred or discrimination directed at minorities. That's why I asked you for your definition, but by providing the actual definition rather than your own, you shot yourself in the foot.

Quote:
Whatever you have to tell yourself there dude.
And what would that be? Haven't I made it very obvious how much I despise Trump and his cronies, and the GOP in general? You really need to calm down here. Not everybody who disagrees with you is the enemy.

I get it. You want all Trump voters to be racist by definition so you don't need to think any further about whatever their issues or politics may be. It's easier to just label and dismiss them. Isn't it enough that many of them ARE racists, that they voted for a racist, and that their choice had negative consequences for the US and the world?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 03:34 AM   #2308
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,985
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Thanks for speaking out against rationality.



You just provided the evidence to contradict yourself!

Voting for someone, either despite that person's racism or by ignoring it, is not "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism". It may be laziness. It may be partisanship. It may be trolling. It may be a host of things but it's not hatred or discrimination directed at minorities. That's why I asked you for your definition, but by providing the actual definition rather than your own, you shot yourself in the foot.



And what would that be? Haven't I made it very obvious how much I despise Trump and his cronies, and the GOP in general? You really need to calm down here. Not everybody who disagrees with you is the enemy.

I get it. You want all Trump voters to be racist by definition so you don't need to think any further about whatever their issues or politics may be. It's easier to just label and dismiss them. Isn't it enough that many of them ARE racists, that they voted for a racist, and that their choice had negative consequences for the US and the world?
If this is how you have to ease your conscience for supporting a racist do what you have to do to sleep at night. It doesn't make your vote less racist.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 04:44 AM   #2309
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 86,023
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
If this is how you have to ease your conscience for supporting a racist do what you have to do to sleep at night.
Was that a general you or were you addressing me directly?

As for supporting a racist, sure. You can do that indirectly in a number of ways. But you still haven't explained how doing that indirectly makes you a racist. You even quoted the definition of racism, and the criteria it enumerates are not met by these actions. If you think it's otherwise, how about you make a case for that rather than make hysterical posts?

Quote:
It doesn't make your vote less racist.
Again: unsupported assertion. Does someone support red ties when they vote for Trump, too?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 06:15 AM   #2310
Joe Random
Master Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,127
This is exactly the sort of exchange I had in mind when I wrote this in another thread :

Far too often posters seem to want to put any given person (either poster here or some public figure) into one of only two available camps with no room for nuanced disagreement. So yeah, I'm going to reject the notion that, say, everything that everyone white does is driven by systematic racism. But that doesn't mean I follow up with "therefore let's give tax cuts to the rich and outlaw abortion". It's seeing and treating everyone as either all <x> or all <y> that's the problem.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 05:24 PM   #2311
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,985
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Was that a general you or were you addressing me directly?

As for supporting a racist, sure. You can do that indirectly in a number of ways. But you still haven't explained how doing that indirectly makes you a racist. You even quoted the definition of racism, and the criteria it enumerates are not met by these actions. If you think it's otherwise, how about you make a case for that rather than make hysterical posts?



Again: unsupported assertion. Does someone support red ties when they vote for Trump, too?
How does doing it indirectly not make you a racist? You've already betrayed your country by giving it to a dirty Russian whore. We're just discussing what else is wrong with your betrayal. Trump supporters aren't like us. They aren't real Americans.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 03:30 AM   #2312
jakesteele
Fait Accompli
 
jakesteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rain City
Posts: 2,158
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Shortly after Trump won the election, and I was busy finding doomsday prep types to start hanging out with, I was with my friend who was getting married soon. He started talking about how he might have kids with his soon to be wife. I told him he was crazy to bring a kid into the world of Trump
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited


This is a story about kids that have gone to the side of evil and embraced MAGA.


Two days ago there was a rally for forced birth degenerates in Washington DC. That same day some Native Americans decided to have a vigil with songs near the Vietnam Memorial (which is also near the Lincoln Memorial) and some kids from a high school in Kentucky, Covington Catholic, wandered over from the debauchery of the forced birth rally to inflict some misery on the Native Americans.


https://twitter.com/UncededClothing/...10180328722434


They surrounded them. Started chanting "build the wall" and at least one of them got in real close and seemed to try and do a stare down. Thankfully the man, Nathan Philips of the Omaha Tribe (and a Vietnam veteran) chose not to engage with evil that day and just continued his song.


But this is where we are. Trump has so debased our nation and infected our children with his diseased ideas that we now have this brooding SA to inflict misery on anyone they perceive as not white enough to be MAGA. Racism given a wash of acceptability by our Cretin In Chief who, even now, continues to try and get a monument to racism built on the southern border.



It was always obvious that all roads from Trump led to a world less civil and more infused with hate. Here we are.
Bigot - one who is utterly intorerant of others viewpoints
__________________

Life is God’s funniest joke
And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 03:31 AM   #2313
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 86,023
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
How does doing it indirectly not make you a racist?
Because the concept doesn't make sense. Either you consider an ethnic group inferior or you don't. That your actions may affect them negatively, either thought laziness or carelessness, doesn't change that. Bias isn't racism either.

Trump supports made the wrong choice, in my opinion. They voted for a disaster. They did so, however, for a number of reasons. A depressingly significant number of them for racist reasons, others for economic reasons, or whatever. I get it, you're angry at them, but redefining "racism" to mean essentially everybody on the other team is counter-productive, on top of being ridiculous.

If "racism" means "anything that negatively affects minorities", then we'll need a new work for actual "racism".
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:11 AM   #2314
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 6,844
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Because the concept doesn't make sense. Either you consider an ethnic group inferior or you don't. That your actions may affect them negatively, either thought laziness or carelessness, doesn't change that. Bias isn't racism either.

Trump supports made the wrong choice, in my opinion. They voted for a disaster. They did so, however, for a number of reasons. A depressingly significant number of them for racist reasons, others for economic reasons, or whatever. I get it, you're angry at them, but redefining "racism" to mean essentially everybody on the other team is counter-productive, on top of being ridiculous.

If "racism" means "anything that negatively affects minorities", then we'll need a new work for actual "racism".
Given where we are now (economically and socially) if you continue to support Trump then what should that say about you? The economy is throwing up recession indicators, and social\racial tension is at an all time high. If you are still throwing your hat behind him then what should it say about said person?

It can only boil down to a few things:

A) That person is an ignorant ******* moron that has no social or economic awareness.
B) The person is so partisan that it really doesn't matter what Trump does because they're only supporting the Republican Party
C) The person truly agrees with Trump and supports his views

None of them are good.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:13 AM   #2315
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 86,023
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Given where we are now (economically and socially) if you continue to support Trump then what should that say about you?
Well I have a number of choice words that would be against the MA to post given that some of the members here continue to support him, but racist isn't one of them.

Quote:
None of them are good.
Fully agreed.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 05:09 PM   #2316
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,419
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well I have a number of choice words that would be against the MA to post given that some of the members here continue to support him, but racist isn't one of them.
Hey, you do you.

If there's Trump supporters who personally aren't racist, at the very least they feel supporting unabashed racism is an acceptable price for getting whatever it is they do want out of him; so honestly "racist, not-racist" becomes more like splitting hairs at this juncture.

I can no longer accept as credible or even reasonable the hypothesis that some Trump supporters are genuinely unaware that he champions racist policies and openly courts the approval of white supremacists.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:24 AM   #2317
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,985
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well I have a number of choice words that would be against the MA to post given that some of the members here continue to support him, but racist isn't one of them.



Fully agreed.
Why do you care? They're just Trump supporters?
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:38 AM   #2318
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 86,023
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Why do you care? They're just Trump supporters?
Huh? What do you mean?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 02:02 PM   #2319
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,985
I'm calling voting for Trump racist regardless of the motivation. Even if I'm being unfair (which I'm not) why do you care? They're just Trump supporters.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:33 PM   #2320
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 44,586
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm calling voting for Trump racist regardless of the motivation.
Of course you are. After all, why do motives even matter? It's all about which side you're on.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:33 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.