ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cold reading , mediums , psychics

Old 31st August 2019, 08:06 AM   #321
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
We get a steady stream of believers here, determined to teach us the error of our ways. They almost always refuse to consider the possibility (a) that we've heard it all before and (b) that they might be the one who has something to learn.
Or better yet, something to demonstrate. It hasn't been done to any measure of science yet but an endless stream of believers are lined up anyway.

A lot if us would be open to anything that is not ' beyond the realm of science ' and might even be useful. All this cryptic, only available to the high priest "Fake Indian Type" in his theme park lodge crap is silly.

Last edited by 8enotto; 31st August 2019 at 08:07 AM.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 01:49 PM   #322
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Again you're missing what we're trying to tell you, she didn't know this, it's a general Barnum statement, everybody thinks they're a good person, everybody thinks they put others ahead of themself, this statement is not in any way special to you, she's not sending out emails to anyone else saying "you're a malignant narcissist who needs to love yourself less". If someone had told Adolf Hitler he was a good person who loved too much and put other people first he'd have agreed it.

We all* think we're good, we all think we're generous people, we all think we have talent and potential, we're all the hero of our own stories and we cherry pick the evidence to prove it to ourselves.

*all in this case being pretty much anyone without very serious issues.
Thank you, yes you're right :-) I am so glad I've found this site and for your advice, it's gold dust to me :-)
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 01:56 PM   #323
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I'm glad you did too, and I'm glad that we can be helpful to you. I hope you stick around. There are loads of different sections and topics here that you might find interesting (although I would personally recommend avoiding the Politics sections ).
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 04:14 PM   #324
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I'm glad you did too, and I'm glad that we can be helpful to you. I hope you stick around. There are loads of different sections and topics here that you might find interesting (although I would personally recommend avoiding the Politics sections ).
Seconded.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 08:44 PM   #325
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Seconded.
Thirded.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 04:26 AM   #326
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
I've just received the rubber duck book in the post, I can't wait to read it :-)

Since I recommended it without knowing your tastes, if you don't like it let me know and I'll donate the cost to a charity of your choice.
Old 2nd September 2019, 08:18 AM   #327
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Thank you, yes you're right :-) I am so glad I've found this site and for your advice, it's gold dust to me :-)
i think I speak for all when I say we're happy to help as best we can.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 07:09 AM   #328
Armitage72
Illuminator

Again you're missing what we're trying to tell you, she didn't know this, it's a general Barnum statement, everybody thinks they're a good person, everybody thinks they put others ahead of themself, this statement is not in any way special to you, she's not sending out emails to anyone else saying "you're a malignant narcissist who needs to love yourself less". If someone had told Adolf Hitler he was a good person who loved too much and put other people first he'd have agreed it.

I'm reminded of the two Russian psychics who James Randi tested, who could supposedly divine information about someone from their photo. When they examined a randomly chosen photo, they started talking about how he was a kind man who was deeply involved in helping his community, and was close to his family. Things like that. They were a little upset that Randi just sat there taking notes, not giving them any feedback that they could use to alter their assessment. It turned out to be a photo of Ted Bundy. They quickly started backpedaling at that point. "I said he had sad eyes. The eyes of a sadist." I'm guessing that they assumed Randi was using photos of friends, family members, and other close associates, so he would have a good opinion of them.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:48 AM   #329
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Since I recommended it without knowing your tastes, if you don't like it let me know and I'll donate the cost to a charity of your choice.
I have started reading some, is this guy a skeptic?
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:50 AM   #330
AmyW
Thinker

Do you think there are genuinely some psychics who have good intentions, like are wanting to somehow help the grieving, even if it is made up? Are there any psychics on the planet that have been proven as real?
Old 5th September 2019, 12:59 AM   #331
Wudang
BOFH

I have started reading some, is this guy a skeptic?

Yes. IIRC he starts in another characters voice. Threw me off a bit the first time I read it.
Old 5th September 2019, 01:07 AM   #332
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Do you think there are genuinely some psychics who have good intentions, like are wanting to somehow help the grieving, even if it is made up?
Yes.

Quote:
Are there any psychics on the planet that have been proven as real?
No.

You keep repeating the same questions, AmyW. What is it about the answers you have already been given that is unsatisfactory?
Old 5th September 2019, 01:32 AM   #333
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

...snip...You keep repeating the same questions, AmyW. What is it about the answers you have already been given that is unsatisfactory?
I'm finding that fact interesting and noted that earlier on in this thread. Let's see where this goes......

Last edited by bluesjnr; 5th September 2019 at 01:34 AM.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 01:54 AM   #334
Wudang
BOFH

It's not uncommon in my experience that when people are trying to handle a (hate to use the term but..) paradigm shift that they repeat questions.
Old 5th September 2019, 03:48 AM   #335
AmyW
Thinker

Sorry guys I've got OCD, it's a very long story. I could go into why... shall I tell you my story...
Old 5th September 2019, 04:38 AM   #336
AmyW
Thinker

Yes.

No.

You keep repeating the same questions, AmyW. What is it about the answers you have already been given that is unsatisfactory?
Ok, the reason being is a few years ago a used to do divination to try and contact God and ask for signs etc this all revolved around 'God did you create me as academically stupid and unintelligent' and this totally freaked me out. I'll tell you why -
Basically I started writing out prayers a few years ago and asking God to answer me by writing yes and no on two seperate peices of paper, folding them up and throwing them onto the floor and asking God to guide me to which ever one I pick up first as being his answer without knowing where yes and no was. The two questions I asked through this method of divination were 'do you love me' and 'did you create me as academically stupid and unintelligent.' Where it gets complicated is I then wrote out a prayer asking God 'do you only answer me specifically' and I got 12 yes' in a row. When I looked back on the prayers (I always wrote them down and kept them and there was about 3 books worth) the specific prayers were all answered as yes (for the two questions* 'do you love me' and did you create me as academically stupid and unintelligent). I also used to ask God 'if such and such happens e.g 'if the next song on the radio is madonna for example it would mean you are answering my prayer and the answer is yes you are stupid and unintelligent and the song was madonna (totally freaked me out, and there are many more things I predicted as being a sign from God). Another time I had a CD on and said God if the next part skips on a certain part of the song it will mean yes to my question and it actually skipped on that part of the song. Another time I said God if I crash my car it will mean yes to my question and a few days later I had a crash. I know it all sounds irrational and believe me im not overly superstitious but these things have obviously spooked me and there are too many weird coincidences for it to be just a coincidence but maybe that's all it was.

So I went to see a medium seeking help called Brian and he told me that yes there is a possibility that God did answer you.
Hence why I am now trying to debunk all religious beliefs. I then went to see this medium and he made the beliefs more real .... now as you can imagine I have crippling low self worth and esteem and just want to debunk psychics so I can know that what the medium said wasn't the truth

Last edited by AmyW; 5th September 2019 at 04:40 AM.
Old 5th September 2019, 04:50 AM   #337
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Coincidence is one of those things where what our instincts tell us and what is actually the case are two very different things. When there are literally billions of coincidences which could happen it is certain that some will. There is no way of predicting which, but even billion-to-one coincidences will occur occasionally. Unfortunately few people learn enough maths to come across, let alone fully grasp, the law of truly large numbers.

You may find this article helpful:

http://skepdic.com/lawofnumbers.html
Old 5th September 2019, 05:51 AM   #338
Wudang
BOFH

Basically I started writing out prayers a few years ago and asking God to answer me by writing yes and no on two seperate peices of paper, folding them up and throwing them onto the floor and asking God to guide me to which ever one I pick up first as being his answer without knowing where yes and no was.

People are amazingly good at fooling themselves. It's possible you subconsciously noticed a difference between the pieces without being aware then went for the yes each time. Things like this are why we designed double-blind tests for instance - because someone say picking people for one treatment or the other would pick someone as they just felt it "balanced them out" or something but would actually be subconsciously stacking the deck. We all do it.

eta: I do not exempt myself from this at all.
Old 5th September 2019, 07:24 AM   #339
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Ok, the reason being is a few years ago a used to do divination to try and contact God and ask for signs etc this all revolved around 'God did you create me as academically stupid and unintelligent' and this totally freaked me out. I'll tell you why -
Basically I started writing out prayers a few years ago and asking God to answer me by writing yes and no on two seperate peices of paper, folding them up and throwing them onto the floor and asking God to guide me to which ever one I pick up first as being his answer without knowing where yes and no was. The two questions I asked through this method of divination were 'do you love me' and 'did you create me as academically stupid and unintelligent.' Where it gets complicated is I then wrote out a prayer asking God 'do you only answer me specifically' and I got 12 yes' in a row. When I looked back on the prayers (I always wrote them down and kept them and there was about 3 books worth) the specific prayers were all answered as yes (for the two questions* 'do you love me' and did you create me as academically stupid and unintelligent). I also used to ask God 'if such and such happens e.g 'if the next song on the radio is madonna for example it would mean you are answering my prayer and the answer is yes you are stupid and unintelligent and the song was madonna (totally freaked me out, and there are many more things I predicted as being a sign from God). Another time I had a CD on and said God if the next part skips on a certain part of the song it will mean yes to my question and it actually skipped on that part of the song. Another time I said God if I crash my car it will mean yes to my question and a few days later I had a crash. I know it all sounds irrational and believe me im not overly superstitious but these things have obviously spooked me and there are too many weird coincidences for it to be just a coincidence but maybe that's all it was.

So I went to see a medium seeking help called Brian and he told me that yes there is a possibility that God did answer you.
Hence why I am now trying to debunk all religious beliefs. I then went to see this medium and he made the beliefs more real .... now as you can imagine I have crippling low self worth and esteem and just want to debunk psychics so I can know that what the medium said wasn't the truth
This all sounds very familiar to me. I've done quite similar things because of my OCD, and yes, there have been some shockingly accurate coincidences along the way. However, there have also been many "misses." I remember them when I allow myself to really think about it. Once, I flipped a coin 5 times and got "heads" all five times. That is pretty improbable from a statistical perspective, so I felt the answer to my question - I believe it was something medical that time - was surely a resounding yes.

But it wasn't. The thing I was asking about never happened. Other times, with other things, it did. Still other times, I don't really know whether it did or not. People with OCD tend to search for patterns, often to the point that it tortures them. With me, I think I can't always handle the anxiety of all life's unknowns, so I try to invent these rituals to give me some sense of guidance and meaning. It's still a problem I have, but once I managed to separate the rituals from the notion of an all-controlling God, the stakes felt lower. I hope that makes sense?

Here's something else I've thought about that might help. People with OCD and similar conditions do stuff like what you described above a lot. Because we do it so much, because we're always looking for patterns, we're bound to notice more coincidences and "hits" than the average person. It's not because forces are communicating with us. It's because we're always seeking these patterns and answers, so every time a little coincidence happens, we notice it. And every time some kind of life event happens (like a car crash), we already have some meaning ready to be ascribed to it. That's just how our minds work. So it's not that spiritual forces are causing these events. It's just that we notice them because we're always looking.

That was a bit rambly, but I hope it might help.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 08:02 AM   #340
Gamolon
Master Poster

Again you're missing what we're trying to tell you, she didn't know this, it's a general Barnum statement,
I never heard of Barnum statements before so I looked some up. I copy/pasted them into a document and the did an experiment on my family.

I sent these statements in separate texts to my wife, two daughters, two sons, and my son's wife. I told each of them that I showed a medium I knew at work a picture of each of them and asked for a reading based on those pictures. I told each of them to keep what I was doing private until I had all of them done. I incorporated their names into the statements to look like the "medium" was talking about them. I then asked each of them what they thought of the "readings" and how accurate they thought they were. Each one of them was amazed at how accurate the "medium" was in describing them and couldn't believe she was able to could glean such personal information from just a picture.

I then revealed the actual Barnum statements I copied and explained what I had done.

I know. I'm evil.

Gamolon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 08:10 AM   #341
AmyW
Thinker

This all sounds very familiar to me. I've done quite similar things because of my OCD, and yes, there have been some shockingly accurate coincidences along the way. However, there have also been many "misses." I remember them when I allow myself to really think about it. Once, I flipped a coin 5 times and got "heads" all five times. That is pretty improbable from a statistical perspective, so I felt the answer to my question - I believe it was something medical that time - was surely a resounding yes.

But it wasn't. The thing I was asking about never happened. Other times, with other things, it did. Still other times, I don't really know whether it did or not. People with OCD tend to search for patterns, often to the point that it tortures them. With me, I think I can't always handle the anxiety of all life's unknowns, so I try to invent these rituals to give me some sense of guidance and meaning. It's still a problem I have, but once I managed to separate the rituals from the notion of an all-controlling God, the stakes felt lower. I hope that makes sense?

Here's something else I've thought about that might help. People with OCD and similar conditions do stuff like what you described above a lot. Because we do it so much, because we're always looking for patterns, we're bound to notice more coincidences and "hits" than the average person. It's not because forces are communicating with us. It's because we're always seeking these patterns and answers, so every time a little coincidence happens, we notice it. And every time some kind of life event happens (like a car crash), we already have some meaning ready to be ascribed to it. That's just how our minds work. So it's not that spiritual forces are causing these events. It's just that we notice them because we're always looking.

Wow thank you. Can you see how my anxiety has increased with this medium saying it was God who answered my divinations though, she's made it so bad for me! Can you see why I am trying to debunk them?
Old 5th September 2019, 08:26 AM   #342
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Wow thank you. Can you see how my anxiety has increased with this medium saying it was God who answered my divinations though, she's made it so bad for me! Can you see why I am trying to debunk them?
Absolutely! Even when someone is making the effort to be more skeptical, there's always that nagging feeling of "but what if I'm wrong?" And that feeling inevitably gets worse when we keep running into people who claim to have the answers (like mediums and psychics), who claim to be in touch with all these forces we're trying to understand so that we can stop worrying. It can be genuinely frightening.

It isn't real, though. Time and time again, psychics fail to pass properly constructed tests. Their only real power comes from being able to mess with people's emotions. They're not all doing it on purpose. Some of them truly believe that they're in touch with God or other spiritual forces, the same way I often did when I was in the throes of OCD episodes. But they're wrong, just like I was wrong. Our minds have incredible powers to deceive us. The more desperately we want to sort the chaos of life into tangible order, the stronger those deceptions can get.

Have you ever tried any of those Cognitive Behavioral Therapy workbooks? I've sometimes found those kinds of exercises helpful for laying out my disordered thoughts.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:29 AM   #343
AmyW
Thinker

Thank you, you have been amazingly helpful. So from what I have just said it can all just be coincidence from what happened to me? This medium said coincidences don't happen :-( said it was God who answered me, so I have very low self esteem. A medium stating God created me as academically stupid and unintelligent
Old 5th September 2019, 08:30 AM   #344
AmyW
Thinker

Coincidence is one of those things where what our instincts tell us and what is actually the case are two very different things. When there are literally billions of coincidences which could happen it is certain that some will. There is no way of predicting which, but even billion-to-one coincidences will occur occasionally. Unfortunately few people learn enough maths to come across, let alone fully grasp, the law of truly large numbers.

You may find this article helpful:

http://skepdic.com/lawofnumbers.html
Thank you, you have been amazingly helpful. So from what I have just said it can all just be coincidence from what happened to me? This medium said coincidences don't happen :-( said it was God who answered me, so I have very low self esteem. A medium stating God created me as academically stupid and unintelligent

Old 5th September 2019, 09:18 AM   #345
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Ironically if coincidences didn't happen that actually would be evidence of the supernatural. As long as coincidences happen about as often as the law of large numbers would lead us to expect (and no-one has ever shown otherwise) there is no need to invoke the supernatural to explain the ones that do occur.

Keep in mind that, by definition, you only attribute significance to the coincidences that occur, you don't notice that trillions of possible coincidences don't occur.
Old 5th September 2019, 01:08 PM   #346
AmyW
Thinker

People are amazingly good at fooling themselves. It's possible you subconsciously noticed a difference between the pieces without being aware then went for the yes each time. Things like this are why we designed double-blind tests for instance - because someone say picking people for one treatment or the other would pick someone as they just felt it "balanced them out" or something but would actually be subconsciously stacking the deck. We all do it.

eta: I do not exempt myself from this at all.
Yes, this is what I thought, perhaps subcionciously i was, the mind is complex
Old 5th September 2019, 01:19 PM   #347
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gamolon View Post
I never heard of Barnum statements before so I looked some up. I copy/pasted them into a document and the did an experiment on my family.

I sent these statements in separate texts to my wife, two daughters, two sons, and my son's wife. I told each of them that I showed a medium I knew at work a picture of each of them and asked for a reading based on those pictures. I told each of them to keep what I was doing private until I had all of them done. I incorporated their names into the statements to look like the "medium" was talking about them. I then asked each of them what they thought of the "readings" and how accurate they thought they were. Each one of them was amazed at how accurate the "medium" was in describing them and couldn't believe she was able to could glean such personal information from just a picture.

I then revealed the actual Barnum statements I copied and explained what I had done.

I know. I'm evil.

That's a pretty good approximation of an experiment used to debunk mediums, astrologers etc.

Good one!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 01:25 PM   #348
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I'm finding that fact interesting and noted that earlier on in this thread. Let's see where this goes......
What's that supposed to mean?
Old 5th September 2019, 01:27 PM   #349
AmyW
Thinker

That's a pretty good approximation of an experiment used to debunk mediums, astrologers etc.

Good one!
Did you really, and it worked?
Old 5th September 2019, 01:44 PM   #350
AmyW
Thinker

Absolutely! Even when someone is making the effort to be more skeptical, there's always that nagging feeling of "but what if I'm wrong?" And that feeling inevitably gets worse when we keep running into people who claim to have the answers (like mediums and psychics), who claim to be in touch with all these forces we're trying to understand so that we can stop worrying. It can be genuinely frightening.

It isn't real, though. Time and time again, psychics fail to pass properly constructed tests. Their only real power comes from being able to mess with people's emotions. They're not all doing it on purpose. Some of them truly believe that they're in touch with God or other spiritual forces, the same way I often did when I was in the throes of OCD episodes. But they're wrong, just like I was wrong. Our minds have incredible powers to deceive us. The more desperately we want to sort the chaos of life into tangible order, the stronger those deceptions can get.

Have you ever tried any of those Cognitive Behavioral Therapy workbooks? I've sometimes found those kinds of exercises helpful for laying out my disordered thoughts.
Thank you for your reply. What's your story and its nice to speak with someone who understands. Religion really made my OCD in full swing, it's so bad for some people, including me. I would be told about the devil and spiritual warfare, it's so scary. The Bible also used to make me so anxious.
I am starting CBT next month, I am also on a very low medication, it's helped massively.

Can I also ask how we change our profile picture?
Old 5th September 2019, 01:49 PM   #351
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Point of order. We are all pattern seeking machines. You, me, AmyW, everyone here, everyone anywhere. It is simply our nature as evolved apes. Or most any mammal. See Pavlov.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 01:56 PM   #352
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

At top of page click "UserCP", then click "Edit your details" in the left hand menu, click "Edit Avatar". Third box down allows you to upload any image.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 02:01 PM   #353
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Thank you for your reply. What's your story and its nice to speak with someone who understands. Religion really made my OCD in full swing, it's so bad for some people, including me. I would be told about the devil and spiritual warfare, it's so scary. The Bible also used to make me so anxious.
I am starting CBT next month, I am also on a very low medication, it's helped massively.
That you are looking for help and recognizing your issues is very good. I hope that the CBT is helpful and please stay on your medication as long as your doctors recommend it.

Life can be really great once you get past some of the damage that others have brought upon you.

I think one important thing to remember is that being a skeptic is a lot like being a good person. It is not a destination, it is journey. Every day you decide whether you want to think clearly about the world and how you want to treat people in your daily life. And, in a world where you get to decide who you are every single day, why not try to be the best version of you that you can be that day.

Quote:
Go to the Help tab (up there on the far right under the planets) and click on Signatures and Avatars. That will get you started in the right direction.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 03:02 PM   #354
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That you are looking for help and recognizing your issues is very good. I hope that the CBT is helpful and please stay on your medication as long as your doctors recommend it.

Life can be really great once you get past some of the damage that others have brought upon you.

I think one important thing to remember is that being a skeptic is a lot like being a good person. It is not a destination, it is journey. Every day you decide whether you want to think clearly about the world and how you want to treat people in your daily life. And, in a world where you get to decide who you are every single day, why not try to be the best version of you that you can be that day.

Go to the Help tab (up there on the far right under the planets) and click on Signatures and Avatars. That will get you started in the right direction.

Thank you, yes I will. It was myself who asked the doctor to go on them. I am looking forward to starting the CBT. I am a mother, I work full time (rather stressful working enviroment) but the silly stuff I did in the past did affect me. I don't class myself as overly superstitious but what happened did spook me, as I couldn't explain. I then was counselled by a Christian (which only made things worse) so decided to seek advice from a medium, which made it all the more worse and I found myself becoming delusioned by it. Hence why I found myself coming on here, to try and re educate myself and unravel the nonsense that I previously believed in.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:45 PM   #355
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Sorry guys I've got OCD, it's a very long story. I could go into why... shall I tell you my story...
Only if you feel comfortable with doing so. We have a bunch of people here with lived experience of mental illness, so if you want to share your story with us, feel free to start a thread in Community.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 11:23 PM   #356
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

What's that supposed to mean?
It means that I wondered why you consistently asked the same questions despite having things repeatedly explained. When asked why by Pixel42, I was interested to see how you'd respond, ergo, "let's see where his goes".

You very kindly provided a completely cromulent explanation and went on to give a lot more detail. Thank you for that.

If I sounded suspicious it's because I was. We've had many people pop in to tell us about their epiphany and it's simply been a smokescreen to push their woo, often with leaders like, "how do you explain THIS then?", despite having things explained, often in great detail.

You didn't, on the face of things, seem like that kind of poster but my spider senses were tingling a wee bit.

Time has shown that you are genuinely on your journey towards a more sceptical outlook and I hope that this journey helps you get rid of some of the baggage you've been left by "well meaning" mediums, psychics and the religious community.

I trust this explains what, "that was supposed to mean".

Last edited by bluesjnr; 5th September 2019 at 11:26 PM.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 01:43 AM   #357
Wudang
BOFH

To add to bluesjnr's post: we have so many people pretending to be open-minded and "just asking questions" (aka JAQ) and not reading the answers to the questions that someone coined the phrase "JAQing off" to describe the phenomenon.

Thanks to you and isisxsn for your description of how OCD actually affects people. I think most of us view as it's portrayed in films.
Old 6th September 2019, 01:49 AM   #358
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

To add to bluesjnr's post: we have so many people pretending to be open-minded and "just asking questions" (aka JAQ) and not reading the answers to the questions that someone coined the phrase "JAQing off" to describe the phenomenon.

Thanks to you and isisxsn for your description of how OCD actually affects people. I think most of us view as it's portrayed in films.
Unfortunately films and TV have a long history of misrepresenting mental illness.

- Randall Munroe
Old 6th September 2019, 02:00 AM   #359
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Unfortunately films and TV have a long history of misrepresenting mental illness.

Embarassed to admit I have a BSc(hons) in psychology and know better but still a lot of that baggage is in my head.
Old 6th September 2019, 04:06 AM   #360
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Embarassed to admit I have a BSc(hons) in psychology and know better but still a lot of that baggage is in my head.
Perhaps you need to see a chiropractor to relieve the pressure on your neck vertebra caused by having all that baggage in your head?

BIG NOTE: NEVER NEVER LET A CHIROPRACTOR MANIPULATE YOUR NECK

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal