ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Allan Kardec , life after death , spiritism , spiritualism

Reply
Old 9th September 2019, 06:41 AM   #1521
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 19,910
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
This thread was not started to scientifically test the existence of spirits.
Okay. They don't exist. End of thread.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 06:47 AM   #1522
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,573
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
So you are playing psychiatrists now, producing a hypothesis. What qualifies you to do that?
I have produced a hypothesis, but I never claimed to be a psychiatrist. The relevant background, as I mentioned before, is having lived with a paranoid schizophrenic for the better part of a year and extensive conversation with the psychiatrist that diagnosed and treated her. What are your qualifications to properly diagnose and treat your own illness? You claim to have successfully treated yourself and to be free of the effects. Are you not playing psychiatrist?

Quote:
This thread was not started to scientifically test the existence of spirits. The OP was expressing his feelings that we are in a somewhat despairing situation if we do not survive death,
While you read the first post, you did not apparently read the rest of the thread. Ricardo went to great lengths to attempt to claim there was scientific evidence of spirits, and then started calling his critics names for not accepting that evidence.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 07:53 AM   #1523
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Is this a claim for which you have medical evidence? Or are you just making it up as a post-justification for having refused treatment for your condition?
I cannot really answer for other schizophrenics, I have only met a few, and not spent lots of time with them.

As for psychiatrists, I was given a poor prognosis of recovery in 1971 after being an out patient for two years. So I walked out of the clinic and began to seek alternative methods of survival.
I started trying to read psychiatric books, but was soon disenchanted with their outlook. So I turned to R.D. Laing and his book anti psychiatry. I soon became disenchanted with that too. Mainly because of the incomprehensible three syllable words. Then one day I was looking through a book called 'alternative London' and I saw a diagram of the chakras. I immediately recognised them as areas where I had felt feelings like fire flowing through them. That started me on the search for occult answers, and at that time I read the teachings of Silver Birch. I then started going to a spiritualist church and had a lot of healing, which I could often feel as heat. Over several years I recovered and stopped all medication.

So no, I am not playing psychiatrist, I am playing occultist.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 07:58 AM   #1524
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,573
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I cannot really answer for other schizophrenics, I have only met a few, and not spent lots of time with them.



As for psychiatrists, I was given a poor prognosis of recovery in 1971 after being an out patient for two years. So I walked out of the clinic and began to seek alternative methods of survival.

I started trying to read psychiatric books, but was soon disenchanted with their outlook. So I turned to R.D. Laing and his book anti psychiatry. I soon became disenchanted with that too. Mainly because of the incomprehensible three syllable words. Then one day I was looking through a book called 'alternative London' and I saw a diagram of the chakras. I immediately recognised them as areas where I had felt feelings like fire flowing through them. That started me on the search for occult answers, and at that time I read the teachings of Silver Birch. I then started going to a spiritualist church and had a lot of healing, which I could often feel as heat. Over several years I recovered and stopped all medication.



So no, I am not playing psychiatrist, I am playing occultist.
That's a very long-winded way of saying no, you did not base your conclusion on medical evidence. Must I endure a lengthy anecdote every time I ask a simple question?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 08:00 AM   #1525
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 19,910
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Must I endure a lengthy anecdote every time I ask a simple question?
In order to answer that I must take you back to my childhood. I was born in a sharecroppers cabin on the shores of Lake Wattenobe...
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 08:56 AM   #1526
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 87,207
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
That's a very long-winded way of saying no, you did not base your conclusion on medical evidence. Must I endure a lengthy anecdote every time I ask a simple question?
.....The important thing was that I had an*onion*on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white*onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones......
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 04:23 PM   #1527
Myriad
Hyperthetical
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Posts: 15,273
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I think there was a certain amount of two way telepathy going on. But mainly I could hear her voice speaking through the office door behind me. She told me at least four facts about the equipment I was working on and these facts helped me to know she was capable of reading my mind.

I think the spirit world may have been telling her what I was thinking, and it was all some kind of experiment being done on me by psychologists who were monitoring what was going on. But nobody would tell me anything.

I spent several years besieging my ex employers with faxes, and emails and letters and phone calls. But the only answer I got from them was an attempt to charge me with nuisance calls.

If I'm not mistaken, Scorpion:

- You believe spirits exist.
- You believe spirits can communicate telepathically.
- You believe spirits can speak and have spoken telepathically to you.
- You believe some spirits are evil or tricksters and use their spirit powers (including telepathic communication) to torment people.
- You believe spirts are bound by rules about what they can and cannot do, BUT
- You believe spirits sometimes act outside those rules.

Given all that, after receiving what you clearly thought was telepathic messages, how did you manage to conclude the source was a woman in an office secretly collaborating with psychologists to experiment upon you? As opposed to, say, an evil spirit attempting (successfully) to trick you into acting deranged and potentially dangerous by blaming and harassing innocent co-workers?

It's hard to put into words how strange this seems to me. It's a different kind of variant thinking from believing in spirits in the first place. Imagine a lifelong believer in alien visitors, who spends years reading and believing accounts of UFOs and abductions and alien grey. Then one day he sees a flying saucer descend from the sky and land right in front of him... and immediately runs away convinced it's a squad of ninjas dispatched by the Yakuza. Regardless of what we think about his beliefs, how can we make sense of that reaction?

We all create mental models based in part on our experiences, and often in larger part based on narratives we're taught. We then use those mental models to make sense of our subsequent experiences.

Your mental model of how the world works includes spirits. That's not unusual. A great many other people's mental models do also. Most skeptics even understand why that's so, even though they don't agree with it.

What's unusual is not using your own mental model to understand your own experiences. Is this a regular pattern? When there's an explanation consistent with your own world view do you immediately distrust it and come up with something else? Because that sounds just like, well, paranoia.
__________________
A zÝmbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 07:13 PM   #1528
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The spirit did not have to travel into the future to see the numbers they simply had the power to see future events.
How do you know? Did the magical spirit explain why they were looking at all your future Lotto results?

Your story is completely bogus and you are making it up as you go. You are now claiming that a magical spirit, that has a spirit purpose of reading your future lotto results, told you that you would win after you had already lodged the Lotto form. Your story is falling apart.


I note that when I asked you for other testable facts, your magical spirit told you from the future......you quickly made up a new story to hide this hole in your BS story......
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
But they do not tell me anything more.......
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 07:21 PM   #1529
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted by Scorpion
The office workers, including the office manager deliberately talked about me in an attempt to give me a mental breakdown.
You mean the other office workers who you spied on, by listening outside their door, wanted to get rid of you.

Originally Posted by Scorpion
They colluded with the psychic girl, who seemed to be the only one who could read my mind.
How did they know she was psychic? Did they tell the police that when the office had you questioned by police for harassment? Your BS story has even more holes in it.


Originally Posted by Scorpion
But they all talked about it in the office and I could hear some of it. Either through the open door, or by telepathically hearing things they were saying to each other about me.
You wrote that you specifically went to listen at their door, as you knew you could not read their minds telepathically. You are simply lying again.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 07:26 PM   #1530
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted by Scorpion
I sometimes, rarely get a direct message into my head when the spirits take in on themselves to tell me something. .
Give us some more specific examples of what they said (Yes, this is a trap)

So far we only have "Hey scorpion! I'm the Lotto spirit. You finally got the right lotto numbers and will win second division next week. Trust me. "
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 07:33 PM   #1531
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The OP (Ricardo) was expressing his feelings that we are in a somewhat despairing situation if we do not survive death,
Nope. Ricardo left because he got the facts in his magic spirit story confused.

He simultaneously claimed he had many headaches a day and then, that he only had one headache at exactly the same time each day. He realised he slipped up and then claimed he didn't have any headaches. He then cut his losses and said he had leukemia and left the forum as we laughed at him.

In reality Ricardo had watched the Brazilian telemovie on Kardec, broadcast a couple of months ago, in Brazil, and decided to troll a skeptic forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kardec poster.jpg (39.8 KB, 4 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 08:56 PM   #1532
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Scorpion:

- You believe spirits exist.
- You believe spirits can communicate telepathically.
- You believe spirits can speak and have spoken telepathically to you.
- You believe some spirits are evil or tricksters and use their spirit powers (including telepathic communication) to torment people.
- You believe spirts are bound by rules about what they can and cannot do, BUT
- You believe spirits sometimes act outside those rules.

Given all that, after receiving what you clearly thought was telepathic messages, how did you manage to conclude the source was a woman in an office secretly collaborating with psychologists to experiment upon you? As opposed to, say, an evil spirit attempting (successfully) to trick you into acting deranged and potentially dangerous by blaming and harassing innocent co-workers?
I worked in the factory for eighteen months, and as far as I am concerned the office girls started deliberately talking about me at the interview. One of them started by saying she wanted to go out with me. At the same time the manager was talking about me to another worker. The worked said " he seems alright" The manager said " he probably would do at the interview."

I heard them saying such things for all of my employment and during that time many incidents occurred which made it clear to me what they were trying to do. I could write pages of what I perceived them to be saying as it etched itself on my mind, because it was intensely traumatic.

After 18 months of it I was nervously exhausted and could not go on. I got up and shouted, " I know you have been using suggestion on me and the only thing I can do is get out" The worker I had been sitting next to said " He does not know what he is doing, we will not have to give him anything now" (meaning sick pay) The workshop manager said " Just go home, I will get a letter off to you"
They did not ask me how I was or suggest I talk it over, they just saw me out of the door.

Previously I had gone sick for two weeks and sent in medical certificates with Schizophrenia on them. I did this because I wanted to get it out into the open. Because I did not tell them I had schizophrenia before. But when I came back from sick nobody even spoke to me about it. Nor did anyone ask me how I was. It was as if I had not been away. Ask yourself if a manager that just found out a worker had schizophrenia could afford to ignore it. That in itself is negligence.
That of course, was because they knew before I walked into the door at my interview that I had schizophrenia, and they had been asked to employ me by the police, who wanted me to have a breakdown so I would be medicated.

Well I could go on and on about what was said, in fact I have made many notes of the dialogue so I would remember it if I decide to write a book about it. I could fill pages with stuff that happened that convinced me I am right about what happened but it would all be off the topic of this thread, but you did ask.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 9th September 2019 at 09:25 PM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 09:03 PM   #1533
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Give us some more specific examples of what they said (Yes, this is a trap)

So far we only have "Hey scorpion! I'm the Lotto spirit. You finally got the right lotto numbers and will win second division next week. Trust me. "
At one point I prayed and said " Oh God, is there any way I can have any dignity or self respect again" A male voice spoke into my head and said.
"Yes, forget yourself"
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 09:11 PM   #1534
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,573
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Well I could go on and on...
Indeed.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 09:12 PM   #1535
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
You mean the other office workers who you spied on, by listening outside their door, wanted to get rid of you.

How did they know she was psychic? Did they tell the police that when the office had you questioned by police for harassment? Your BS story has even more holes in it.


You wrote that you specifically went to listen at their door, as you knew you could not read their minds telepathically. You are simply lying again.
I was not sure I could receive telepathy at the time, I just thought the girl could read my mind. But subsequently I realised some of what I heard was telepathic, Because as a girl said. " A lot goes on in this office, but he does not hear that so it must be telepathy" I only heard things that were about me, not the endless office chatter.

I have acquired my psychiatric file under the data protection act, and In it is a letter from a police officer to my psychiatrist expressing concern over my harassment of my ex employers. He was concerned I would do something violent.

See my above post to Myriad for more info.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 09:30 PM   #1536
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard
Give us some more specific examples of what they said (Yes, this is a trap)

So far we only have "Hey scorpion! I'm the Lotto spirit. You finally got the right lotto numbers and will win second division next week. Trust me. "
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
At one point I prayed and said " Oh God, is there any way I can have any dignity or self respect again" A male voice spoke into my head and said. "Yes, forget yourself"
Soooooo......The "spirit of future lotto" who looks at your future Lotto results, informed you that you would win a future lotto draw. Then another "Answer prayers to god spirit" told you to forget yourself.

Yet here you are, ignoring the second spirits advice, claiming you are remembering your history. That doesn't make any sense does it?

Are they the only two audio hallucinations, you received in your head, from spirits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lotto 2.jpg (105.0 KB, 18 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 09:34 PM   #1537
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I was not sure I could receive telepathy at the time, I just thought the girl could read my mind.
You are claiming the "office telepathy girl" could send you and fellow office workers silent messages about how to operate office machines.........yet claim they had to have a meeting about you behind closed doors to talk aloud.

Your BS story has fully fallen apart. You really should practice your routine before attempting these tall tales.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 09:34 PM   #1538
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Soooooo......The "spirit of future lotto" who looks at your future Lotto results, informed you that you would win a future lotto draw. Then another "Answer prayers to god spirit" told you to forget yourself.

Yet here you are, ignoring the second spirits advice, claiming you are remembering your history. That doesn't make any sense does it?

Are they the only two audio hallucinations, you received in your head, from spirits.
Thanks for the picture, its cute, I have saved it.

I can't recall anything else I am sure the spirits said to me at the moment.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 09:46 PM   #1539
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Well I could go on and on...
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Indeed.
Detectives keep suspects talking, as suspects get confused when they add details and forget their earlier details. Scorpion is now continuously contradicting his owns claims.

We used to get a lot of "I was captured by UFOs" claimants at the Skeptic Society forum. My favourite claim was a a bloke who eventually over many posts said he only had one UFO trip ever, and was taken to a secret alien base on Earth. When we pointed out he had to have come back from the base to be posting at home, he spent a day deleting his 200+ posts.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 09:51 PM   #1540
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 87,207
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I worked in the factory for eighteen months, and as far as I am concerned the office girls started deliberately talking about me at the interview. One of them started by saying she wanted to go out with me. At the same time the manager was talking about me to another worker. The worked said " he seems alright" The manager said " he probably would do at the interview."



I heard them saying such things for all of my employment and during that time many incidents occurred which made it clear to me what they were trying to do. I could write pages of what I perceived them to be saying as it etched itself on my mind, because it was intensely traumatic.



After 18 months of it I was nervously exhausted and could not go on. I got up and shouted, " I know you have been using suggestion on me and the only thing I can do is get out" The worker I had been sitting next to said " He does not know what he is doing, we will not have to give him anything now" (meaning sick pay) The workshop manager said " Just go home, I will get a letter off to you"

They did not ask me how I was or suggest I talk it over, they just saw me out of the door.



Previously I had gone sick for two weeks and sent in medical certificates with Schizophrenia on them. I did this because I wanted to get it out into the open. Because I did not tell them I had schizophrenia before. But when I came back from sick nobody even spoke to me about it. Nor did anyone ask me how I was. It was as if I had not been away. Ask yourself if a manager that just found out a worker had schizophrenia could afford to ignore it. That in itself is negligence.

That of course, was because they knew before I walked into the door at my interview that I had schizophrenia, and they had been asked to employ me by the police, who wanted me to have a breakdown so I would be medicated.



Well I could go on and on about what was said, in fact I have made many notes of the dialogue so I would remember it if I decide to write a book about it. I could fill pages with stuff that happened that convinced me I am right about what happened but it would all be off the topic of this thread, but you did ask.
Again with the wearing of onions and not answering the questions you were asked.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 11:48 AM   #1541
Myriad
Hyperthetical
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Posts: 15,273
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I worked in the factory for eighteen months, and as far as I am concerned the office girls started deliberately talking about me at the interview. One of them started by saying she wanted to go out with me. At the same time the manager was talking about me to another worker. The worked said " he seems alright" The manager said " he probably would do at the interview."

Can you think of any completely mundane reasons why people in an office would talk about a new hire (including, unfortunately, their physical attractiveness or lack thereof)? Can you think of any completely mundane reasons why a manager and his or her staff would say things like "he seems all right" and "he probably would do at the interview" about a job candidate who was being interviewed?

Quote:
I heard them saying such things for all of my employment and during that time many incidents occurred which made it clear to me what they were trying to do. I could write pages of what I perceived them to be saying as it etched itself on my mind, because it was intensely traumatic.

Might this have been because managers observe and talk about the performance of their employees, and about any kind of issues that might be affecting that performance? Because that's, you know, their job?

Quote:
After 18 months of it I was nervously exhausted and could not go on. I got up and shouted, " I know you have been using suggestion on me and the only thing I can do is get out" The worker I had been sitting next to said " He does not know what he is doing, we will not have to give him anything now" (meaning sick pay) The workshop manager said " Just go home, I will get a letter off to you"
They did not ask me how I was or suggest I talk it over, they just saw me out of the door.

You got up and announced that you quit. The worship manager handled that situation correctly. The worker's observation that you weren't eligible for sick pay after you've quit the job was a bit odd, but completely accurate. (Maybe you had given the impression that you would be needing to take some sick time as you had before, rather than quitting immediately).

In most companies nowadays, if someone jumps up and announces they're quitting, security will be summoned to help them pack up their personal property and then immediately escort them out of the building.

Quote:
Previously I had gone sick for two weeks and sent in medical certificates with Schizophrenia on them. I did this because I wanted to get it out into the open. Because I did not tell them I had schizophrenia before. But when I came back from sick nobody even spoke to me about it. Nor did anyone ask me how I was. It was as if I had not been away. Ask yourself if a manager that just found out a worker had schizophrenia could afford to ignore it. That in itself is negligence.

From this account it appears your employer behaved completely correctly, obeying strict labor laws concerning maintaining employees' medical confidentiality. They did not reveal private information about your medical condition in the workplace at large. They did not discriminate against you for medical reasons while you were still able and willing to do your job. Their employees, your managers and co-workers, did not stare, turn away, or ask personal questions about your condition or treatments, as such actions would have created what's generally called a hostile work environment. These things you find strange that they didn't do, are illegal to do in U.S. work places.

It's sad to hear how their scrupulous behavior didn't go unpunished. By you. But, that is unfortunately the nature of the illness you (by your own account) were suffering.

Quote:
That of course, was because they knew before I walked into the door at my interview that I had schizophrenia, and they had been asked to employ me by the police, who wanted me to have a breakdown so I would be medicated.

Well I could go on and on about what was said, in fact I have made many notes of the dialogue so I would remember it if I decide to write a book about it. I could fill pages with stuff that happened that convinced me I am right about what happened but it would all be off the topic of this thread, but you did ask.

I did ask, and I disagree that it's off-topic for this thread. (If I'm wrong I'll accept full blame for any necessary moderator action.) The issue I was talking about was disordered attribution of cause and effect. What to you seems an obvious deduction ("because, of course...") makes no logical sense, whether or not one accepts the skeptical atheist world model in which spirits don't exist.

You agree that lawsuits exist, correct? Yet you don't attribute your employers not publicly speaking out about your schizophrenia to the understandable desire not to leave themselves open to a workplace discrimination lawsuit. You don't even consider that your employers might have simply not wanted to actually treat you badly. Or that the spirits you believe in and believe to be quite capable of messing with people were messing with you. You jump right to a conspiracy with the police and secret psychological experiments instead.

You claim to believe in spirits because they explain experiences you've had. But we can also see that your ability to choose the most plausible explanations for experiences appears to be impaired. Further, the illness you have acknowledged having is known to cause exactly that kind of impairment.

I won't ask what you think we should conclude from this based on the evidence, because I don't think you can answer that. But, what do you think we will conclude, and why?
__________________
A zÝmbie once bit my sister...

Last edited by Myriad; 10th September 2019 at 11:50 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 01:06 PM   #1542
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Myriad, well to answer your last question, what do I think you will conclude, since I know all of you do not believe in a spirit world or telepathy you will all continue to assume I am nuts.

But as I said I worked in the factory for 18 months, and in that amount of time many things were said that convinced me they were trying to break my mind.

One incident is that I picked up a nail gun to see if it needed repair, and the manageress sent for a couple of office workers from another building to pretend they were armed police. They came up behind me and said " what's he got, its only a nail gun" Then they walked into the manageress office. When they came out she followed them and said to other office staff. "They didn't do it very well, they were not even wearing jackets". Meaning they could not have been carrying guns.

Another incident was when a young woman started work there, and she also was asked to talk about me. But it was my perception she didn't like the situation. At that time I used telepathy to threaten suicide knowing the psychic girl would pick up on it, then the office
staff started talking about my committing suicide and they said " we don't care if he does"
one man said " he won't commit suicide he is too fond of himself", and followed it with, "that's the first thing we do in mental hospitals is call their bluff"
The new girl came out of the office and spoke quite near to me so I heard her plainly. She said, "now they want us to say we don't care if he commits suicide"
Shortly after that she left the job. I don't know if it was because she did not like what was going on in the office or not.

I have pages and pages more of things like that which seemed to happen as far as I am concerned. But maybe you will get my drift from the above.

If the office staff were initially naÔve enough to think that giving me a breakdown was in my best interests they must have eventually realized they were only harming me.
But that did not stop them.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 02:01 PM   #1543
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Can you think of any completely mundane reasons why people in an office would talk about a new hire (including, unfortunately, their physical attractiveness or lack thereof)? Can you think of any completely mundane reasons why a manager and his or her staff would say things like "he seems all right" and "he probably would do at the interview" about a job candidate who was being interviewed?
The fact they talked about me at the interview was only the beginning.

Not long after I started work one of the workers said " He thinks everyone is talking about him, so we thought we would oblige him"
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 08:24 PM   #1544
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,989
You have made up two conflicting stories again, indicating you are lying and making all this up.

Two days ago you claimed you could read the minds and telepathic exchanges of your fellow office workers at your interview to start the job.
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
..... the office girls started deliberately talking about me at the interview. One of them started by saying she wanted to go out with me. At the same time the manager was talking about me to another worker. The worked said " he seems alright" The manager said " he probably would do at the interview."

You then forget you wrote that and claimed you only discovered your telepathy later.
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I was not sure I could receive telepathy at the time, I just thought the girl could read my mind. But subsequently I realised some of what I heard was telepathic, Because as a girl said. " A lot goes on in this office, but he does not hear that so it must be telepathy" I only heard things that were about me, not the endless office chatter.
Try a "creative writing" forum next time.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 12:09 AM   #1545
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted by Scorpion
I think it is obvious that people with schizophrenia who let hallucinations or delusions rule them are lacking in intellect.
Actually, it is you displaying weak intelligence.

Michael H, the forum member, claims everyone is reading his telepathic thoughts. You, another forum member, are simultaneously claiming to be able to hear telepathic thoughts........yet you can't hear Michael H. .

Michael H will never join this thread because he know he is lying and no one can read his thoughts or you are lying and can't read Michael H's thoughts, or, in reality you are both lying and that's why you won't agree to a simple test with each other.

Anyone one with brains worked that out when you first made your claim.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 03:57 AM   #1546
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
You have made up two conflicting stories again, indicating you are lying and making all this up.

Two days ago you claimed you could read the minds and telepathic exchanges of your fellow office workers at your interview to start the job.



You then forget you wrote that and claimed you only discovered your telepathy later.


Try a "creative writing" forum next time.
Oh do leave off, I became aware the office girl seemed to be reading my mind earlier than when I realised I also was probably receiving some telepathy from her. And I did not say they were using telepathy at my interview, I said I heard them talking.

I AM NOT MAKING ANYTHING UP, AND I AM NOT LYING.

All your criticisms are doing is making me realize that if I do ever write a book I will have to make myself very clear on points like this. I will have to spell out the details precisely in chronological order.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 11th September 2019 at 04:06 AM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 04:04 AM   #1547
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Actually, it is you displaying weak intelligence.

Michael H, the forum member, claims everyone is reading his telepathic thoughts. You, another forum member, are simultaneously claiming to be able to hear telepathic thoughts........yet you can't hear Michael H. .

Michael H will never join this thread because he know he is lying and no one can read his thoughts or you are lying and can't read Michael H's thoughts, or, in reality you are both lying and that's why you won't agree to a simple test with each other.

Anyone one with brains worked that out when you first made your claim.
I have not had any telepathic experiences since leaving the factory in 1990. Apart from the spirit telling me I won the lotto.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 11th September 2019 at 04:20 AM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 04:36 AM   #1548
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,137
I have to admit that pretty much everything Scorpion is saying is believable. The reaction of both management and workforce to a schizophrenic is exactly what I would expect it to have been at that time. And his interpretation of what happened, irrational as it may seem to us, is also exactly what I would expect from a schizophrenic.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:51 AM   #1549
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,573
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I have to admit that pretty much everything Scorpion is saying is believable. The reaction of both management and workforce to a schizophrenic is exactly what I would expect it to have been at that time. And his interpretation of what happened, irrational as it may seem to us, is also exactly what I would expect from a schizophrenic.
Agreed. From what the psychiatrist told me, it's vitally important to realize that from the schizophrenic's perspective, postulating nefarious, powerful forces to explain the things they experience can be considered rational. Profound schizophrenia manifests in the patient literally perceiving -- as fact -- information that is either in conflict with other factual information, or seemingly impossible to arise naturally. He realizes that the ordinary state of affairs can't account for it. He reaches for the fantastic because what he perceives is, to him, utterly fantastic. They realize at some level that it's farfetched to postulate, say, aliens sending you messages via fluorescent light fixtures (an actual clinical case), but what they're experiencing can't rationally be explained in prosaic means. In their minds, the evidence really does rise to the occasion.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:53 AM   #1550
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,573
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I AM NOT MAKING ANYTHING UP, AND I AM NOT LYING.
No, you're just behaving like someone with untreated paranoid schizophrenia. I'm sure you believe every word you say. And I'm equally sure much of it is not true.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 07:10 AM   #1551
The Greater Fool
Illuminator
 
The Greater Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Posts: 3,978
Originally Posted by Scorpion
I think it is obvious that people with schizophrenia who let hallucinations or delusions rule them are lacking in intellect.
Isn't this amazingly self-serving and self-congratulatory?
__________________
- "Who is the greater fool? The fool? Or the one arguing with the fool?" [Various; Uknown]
- "The only way to win is not to play." [Tsig quoting 'War Games']
The Greater Fool is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 07:15 AM   #1552
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,573
Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Isn't this amazingly self-serving and self-congratulatory?
Very much so. Both I and Darat attempted to get him to address his double standard, but Scorpion simply denied he made the statement you quoted.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 08:45 AM   #1553
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Isn't this amazingly self-serving and self-congratulatory?
Maybe, but I know I am not stupid. Other schizophrenics may believe everything they experience is real, but I do not.

I know for a fact I do sometimes hallucinate but I am also sure of some occasions when I was not hallucinating. Using logic I deduced what was true and what was not and found that in approximately 2% of my experiences I was definitely hallucinating. But another 2% of my experiences were logically sound. This leaves 96% of my experiences that I cannot be sure of because there was not enough information. I ignore that 96% and rely on the 2% of events I am certain of.

That 2% includes the certainty the police labeled me a psychopath and set about trying to break my mind, and that a psychic girl in the office at my last job helped them try to give me a breakdown by telepathy.

You may not be able to believe those things, but logic tells me they are true.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 08:59 AM   #1554
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,573
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I know for a fact I do sometimes hallucinate but I am also sure of some occasions when I was not hallucinating.
I doubt you have a perfect record of distinguishing between the two.

Quote:
Using logic I deduced what was true...
Yeah, that's the one thing schizophrenics can't do properly.

Quote:
That 2% includes the certainty the police labeled me a psychopath and set about trying to break my mind...
That's clearly a paranoid delusion.

Quote:
You may not be able to believe those things, but logic tells me they are true.
A symptom of schizophrenia is the belief that one's actions are eminently logical. Schizophrenia is the pathological equivalent of circular reasoning. Circular reasoning seems logical if one confines the logical analysis to pairs of antecedents and consequents. The circularity is revealed only when the entire chain of reasoning is examined as a whole. That's what the people did who diagnosed you.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:12 AM   #1555
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Like I have said, somewhere on this forum. Two incidents occurred that tell me the police labeled me a psychopath. On one occasion a police officer was questioning me, and another office about twenty feet away got out of his car and shouted a warning at the office questioning me " He is a psychopath trained in the martial arts". I turned and looked at him and he shouted it again. There is no possibility I am wrong about that.
The other incident was equally clear.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:13 AM   #1556
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,573
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There is no possibility I am wrong about that.
Of course there is.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:23 AM   #1557
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
The Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,286
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Actually, it is you displaying weak intelligence.

Michael H, the forum member, claims everyone is reading his telepathic thoughts. You, another forum member, are simultaneously claiming to be able to hear telepathic thoughts........yet you can't hear Michael H. .

Michael H will never join this thread because he know he is lying and no one can read his thoughts or you are lying and can't read Michael H's thoughts, or, in reality you are both lying and that's why you won't agree to a simple test with each other.

Anyone one with brains worked that out when you first made your claim.
That reminds me, I find it interesting that both Michel H and Scorpion seem to be unable to comprehend sarcasm.

Taking what Scorp says at face value (I know, I know...) many of the supposed comments made by co-workers and others immediately struck me as simply sarcastic and not indicative of actual mental powers or psychic abilities or knowing something which could not be "ordinarily known."

Anyone with experience care to support or deny my thoughts?
__________________
A government is a body of people usually - notably - ungoverned.
-Shepard Book

Last edited by The Norseman; 11th September 2019 at 09:24 AM.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:34 AM   #1558
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Yeah, that's the one thing schizophrenics can't do properly.
I had a psychiatrist who would agree with you. Which is why I dispensed with his services. I tried to tell him about logical conclusions and he said "well logic can be faulty, and that's all I have to say about that"

I was employed as an engineer precisely to solve logic problems, and I continued to do so at the same time as determining whether I was hallucinating or not. I applied the same standard of reasoning to working out if I was being tormented telepathically as I did to fixing circuit boards.

Believe it or not , I am not wrong.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:37 AM   #1559
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Of course there is.
What is not clear about what I said ? The police officer shouted while I was looking at him. He said I was a psychopath. How can you suppose I imagined that?
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:58 AM   #1560
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,573
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
How can you suppose I imagined that?
Because that's what schizophrenia makes people do, and then cling tenaciously to the notion that it was real. Yes, I believe you believe that's what happened. But if the question is whether it's possible for you to be wrong about it, the answer is very much yes, it is possible for you to be wrong about that. Schizophrenia is exactly people being wrong about things that did or didn't happen.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.