ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Old 9th September 2019, 09:39 PM   #881
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
John Boehner was probably about the last of that, he wanted to keep his speakership, but eventually he had principles very different from his caucus.

McConnell is an exception because while he is absolutely establishment, he also doesn't have a spine, so he's managed to just allow himself to get swept up and enact (or block) what he's told.
I don't think Boehner really had "principals," so much as that he was expected by the establishment to perform an almost impossible task: making the Tea Party caucus vote the way the establishment wanted them to.

I think he quit his gig because he just wasn't up to the task.
Old 9th September 2019, 10:06 PM   #882
Venom
Master Poster

Linda Sarsour named as a surrogate of the Bernie Sanders campaign.

Yikes.

But probably no reason to panic just yet. She fits right in on most of the issues and seems to have relaxed her 1-state solution for Palestine in her praise for the Sanders campaign. She was also a little too late, according to some, in denouncing Louis Farrakhan's antisemitic BS. Of course her reputation has raised eyebrows among many progressives.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 10:18 PM   #883
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Linda Sarsour named as a surrogate of the Bernie Sanders campaign.

Yikes.

But probably no reason to panic just yet. She fits right in on most of the issues and seems to have relaxed her 1-state solution for Palestine in her praise for the Sanders campaign. She was also a little too late, according to some, in denouncing Louis Farrakhan's antisemitic BS. Of course her reputation has raised eyebrows among many progressives.
I don't know if I believe that. She looks like an incredible activist to me.
Old 9th September 2019, 10:42 PM   #884
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Same here.
Old 10th September 2019, 05:09 AM   #885
Samson
Philosopher

I have not followed this thread but at this moment Ladbrokes declares the democrats favourite to win the 2020 election and Elizabeth Warren to be nominee.

This still affords a gain of 5 to 1 on EW to be next president.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 05:20 AM   #886
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I have not followed this thread but at this moment Ladbrokes declares the democrats favourite to win the 2020 election and Elizabeth Warren to be nominee.

This still affords a gain of 5 to 1 on EW to be next president.
On Predictit.org, shares for a Warren nomination are $0.32, Biden $0.26, Sanders $0.15, Yang $0.11, and Harris $0.10. (Correct predictions pay $1.00 per share.) I haven't decided who I'll vote for yet, but I bought Warren shares anyway, because I do believe that's the way things are headed despite the polling.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 10th September 2019 at 05:21 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 07:01 AM   #887
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

2016 was a razor-thin technical win on points.

I don't think "normal" is coming back.

So I think everything should be on the table.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 09:55 AM   #888
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think "Extreme vs Mainstream" is a bad way to look at it period.

The question is "How many opinions do you have to hold to accepted as a member of the tribe?"

To be a Democrat you have to be pro this, anti that, support this, don't support that. To be a Republican you have to be anti this, pro that, don't support this, support that.

There's people out there who are pro this and pro that, support this and don't support that.

If you want your party to win you should encourage them to focus the narrative on as few core issues as possible.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 12:24 PM   #889
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I'm flagellating myself as we speak.
That's a good start.

Again, thank you.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 05:02 PM   #890
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Bernie Sanders picks Linda Sarsour as a surrogate for his campaign
https://www.jta.org/quick-reads/poli...ntial-campaign

Well, I guess now I have a whole brand new reason to be turned off by Bernie.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 05:09 PM   #891
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Same here.
Are you kidding me?
Quote:
Brigitte Gabriel= Ayaan Hirsi Ali. She's asking 4 an a$$ whippin'. I wish I could take their vaginas away - they don't deserve to be women
--Linda Sarsour
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Linda_Sarsour
Quote:
he group that doesn't have power can't be racist
--Linda Sarsour

The David Pakman Show weighs in:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by portlandatheist; 10th September 2019 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 05:14 PM   #892
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Are you kidding me?
--Linda Sarsour

--Linda Sarsour

The David Pakman Show ways in:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
May I ask what a surrogate is in this context?

Does it mean she is turning up to Bernie Sanders events as an official spokesperson/stand-in?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 05:30 PM   #893
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
May I ask what a surrogate is in this context?

Does it mean she is turning up to Bernie Sanders events as an official spokesperson/stand-in?
I don't know, like you I'm guessing a spokesperson that can speak for Bernie
Old 10th September 2019, 05:49 PM   #894
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Are you kidding me?
--Linda Sarsour
That single FGM Tweet should be enough that she's never heard or seen of again - not a good move by Bernie.

Good for Liz, though!
Old 10th September 2019, 06:00 PM   #895
Venom
Master Poster

Bernie Sanders picks Linda Sarsour as a surrogate for his campaign
https://www.jta.org/quick-reads/poli...ntial-campaign

Well, I guess now I have a whole brand new reason to be turned off by Bernie.
I posted this a page back.

Do not be alarmed.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 06:17 PM   #896
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
That single FGM Tweet should be enough that she's never heard or seen of again - not a good move by Bernie.

Good for Liz, though!
Do you know what the Tweet supposedly was. It's not easy to dig through the Rational Wiki article.
Quote:
Sarsour: So, letís give some context here because youÖ we have, uh, this is an event organized by an Asian American, right? Letís just get someÖ letís get some context to what is going on here. Celebrating a community, right? Talking about communities of color who are being directly impacted at this moment and I have a young white man in the back who is not directly impacted by any of the issues that I mentioned. A copy and paste that he got from a right wing blog. He doesnít even know if it came from my Twitter account because he has a screenshot of it. He never actually went to my Twitter to see if itís actually there, right? That never happened. But let me just say this to you, youíre college students. I was in my 20s, when was that? 2011? People say stupid **** sometimes, right? I will be judged by my impeccable track record for standing for black lives and immigrant rights and womensí rights and LGBT rights. You judge me by that record and not by some tweet that you think I did or did not tweet 10 years ago, or 7 years ago, or whenever it was. So thatís my answer to your question. Next.[12]
It wasn't true but if it were, people say stupid things, it's been 7-10 years ago. I believe she has denounced Farrakhan.

Tell me what she said about FGM and how, if it was a decade ago and she denounces it, are you acting outraged?

I'm getting the impression she's being demonized by the right-wing media. Is that where you are reading about her?
Old 10th September 2019, 06:18 PM   #897
SezMe
post-pre-born

The David Pakman Show ways in:
weighs

SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 06:28 PM   #898
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
weighs

fixed
Old 10th September 2019, 06:50 PM   #899
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Do you know what the Tweet supposedly was. It's not easy to dig through the Rational Wiki article.

It wasn't true but if it were, people say stupid things, it's been 7-10 years ago. I believe she has denounced Farrakhan.

Tell me what she said about FGM and how, if it was a decade ago and she denounces it, are you acting outraged?

I'm getting the impression she's being demonized by the right-wing media. Is that where you are reading about her?
That is absolutely what's going on with her, basically exclusively, as far as I can tell.

Even personally thinking the "critical race theory" definition of racism is the best definition (if she does, I'd have to see the full context of that racism quote to know) (CRT definition of racism is "prejudice + power = racism") is only whackadoodle to the right wing. It's disputed and argued about on the left, but nobody thinks it's bat**** to think it.
Old 10th September 2019, 09:45 PM   #900
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Anyways, random news.

'She's gotta be stopped!' CNBC's Cramer says Wall Street freaking out over possible Warren victory

And, of course, they're freaking out for what most of the rest of us would consider to be more along the lines of responsible governance.
Old 10th September 2019, 10:02 PM   #901
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Anyways, random news.

'She's gotta be stopped!' CNBC's Cramer says Wall Street freaking out over possible Warren victory

And, of course, they're freaking out for what most of the rest of us would consider to be more along the lines of responsible governance.
I can't believe this idiot with his past failure to recognize the stock market crash is still on the air. We should believe him now, why?
Old 10th September 2019, 10:17 PM   #902
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

It's not exactly hard: http://archive.is/bVA02

There are stupid things, then there are stupid, hateful and utterly revolting things.

Which one would you call that?

If you weren't aware, Ayaan Hirsi Ali was a victim of genital mutilation. Saying someone who had her genitals mutilated deserved it is as low as it gets, in my opinion.

Easy to denounce it now people have raised it. She appeared to have defended it in the past.

And I'm not only not outraged, I'm not bothered at all. I'd like Liz to win just to piss off the vultures on Wall Street, so if Bernie wants to shoot himself in the foot, I'd fully support him.

The only thing I've ever read about her is that page at Rational Wiki.

If the right-wing media are having a go at her, I'd say they should be - that's the lowest-hanging fruit they'll find.
Old 10th September 2019, 10:18 PM   #903
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I can't believe this idiot with his past failure to recognize the stock market crash is still on the air. We should believe him now, why?
Did you watch the video in the link? The person who put it on twitter uploaded it commenting:

"This is the greatest Warren campaign ad possible."

I'd be highly surprised if Cramer is wrong about Wall Street executives freaking out. Liz Warren actually coined the phrase "medical bankruptcy" in the academic literature, and she's been taking on the banks (and often winning) since she became political (and she became political as a result of her academic research on bankruptcy.)

Last edited by kellyb; 10th September 2019 at 10:26 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 10:26 PM   #904
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

. Saying someone who had her genitals mutilated deserved it is as low as it gets, in my opinion.
I really don't think saying "I wish I could take their vaginas away - they don't deserve to be women" is saying "this victim of genital mutilation deserved it."

Quote:
I'd like Liz to win just to piss off the vultures on Wall Street, so if Bernie wants to shoot himself in the foot, I'd fully support him.
I'd like Liz to win, too, but echoing rightwing nonsense isn't a good strategy for helping that happen.
Old 10th September 2019, 10:48 PM   #905
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's not exactly hard: http://archive.is/bVA02
Yeah right, if I wanted to go on a Google chase because of your click-bait.

I don't understand what that quote even means. I'm not going to waste my time, especially given she already said it was old news.
Old 11th September 2019, 12:30 AM   #906
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Beto O'Rourke discovers a new right:

Originally Posted by Beto O'Rourke
Living close to work shouldn't be a luxury for the rich. It's a right for everyone.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 12:35 AM   #907
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Beto O'Rourke discovers a new right:
What Beto says in the video is fine there. Whoever is running his twitter account was being silly by paraphrasing the argument for for intelligent urban planning like that, though.

I'm no Beto fan, but meh.
Old 11th September 2019, 01:40 AM   #908
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I really don't think saying "I wish I could take their vaginas away - they don't deserve to be women" is saying "this victim of genital mutilation deserved it."
Quite funny, the way two people can read the same sentence and come to diametrically opposite conclusions, because that's exactly how I read it.

She knew Ali had been the victim of mutilation and chose the words accordingly.
Old 11th September 2019, 01:49 AM   #909
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Quite funny, the way two people can read the same sentence and come to diametrically opposite conclusions, because that's exactly how I read it.

She knew Ali had been the victim of mutilation and chose the words accordingly.
Where did you get it from that the other girl was a victim of FMG? How would Sarsour have known?

eta:
I see Ali had written in a book that mentioned her FGM at one point.
But the tweet was also about Brigitte Gabriel, who's a christian. The possible FGM reference makes no possible sense with her. I still think seeing FGM in the tweet is a stretch.

Last edited by kellyb; 11th September 2019 at 02:29 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 05:41 AM   #910
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Ooops wrong thread
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:19 AM   #911
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Whether to appeal to this group or that group isn't a hijack, it's a core part of politics.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:58 AM   #912
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Whether to appeal to this group or that group isn't a hijack, it's a core part of politics.
Yes, but to beat the dead horse of an argument for over ten pages and then just do a fringe reset because a new person has chimed in is just BS. This is not a general thread on politics it is the "2020 Democratic Candidates Tracker" thread. Thus, a place to keep track of the 2020 Democratic candidates.

To me, the horse beaten to death conversation between Belz . . . and Cabbage is best left to the new thread started for that very important conversation, where it will not be watered down by silly stuff like which candidates are actually qualifying for the various debates.

I expect there to be political discussion in a thread like this, but a thread like this can't be useful if it contains all political discussion.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 10:21 AM   #913
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
If the mods move the past discussion there, yes. Otherwise, no.
At least lurk there, because responses to you are being posted there.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:23 AM   #914
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it's a hijack, per say, but it's a derail at this point and has it's own dedicated spinoff thread now. The thread is here in the politics forum, because it's a core part of politics.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:26 AM   #915
Belz...
Fiend God

At least lurk there, because responses to you are being posted there.
That is very unfortunate.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 10:37 AM   #916
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So... if we can't talk about who's gonna vote for which candidate and which candidate is going to appeal to the most voters do we just... like list them off? Talk about their haircuts and shoes?
Old 11th September 2019, 11:03 AM   #917
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

So... if we can't talk about who's gonna vote for which candidate and which candidate is going to appeal to the most voters do we just... like list them off? Talk about their haircuts and shoes?
Voter turn-ons: healthcare, environment
Voter turn-offs: hypocrisy, shooting jets of blood from the eyeballs.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:08 AM   #918
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Voter turn-offs: hypocrisy, shooting jets of blood from the eyeballs.
Gods, that's what I've been doing wrong all those years.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 11:16 AM   #919
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Gods, that's what I've been doing wrong all those years.
It's fine if the blood just dribbles out, but if it comes out at force it's outputting. I read that when it happened to Biden during the debate the jet was powerful enough to knock over Harris and the others had to hunch behind their podia for safety as Biden screamed and flailed his head around, blasting the stage with torrents of foaming red blood. Sanders pointed out that with his healthcare plan it never would have happened, but he's just bitter because he was talking and got a mouthful of it.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:25 AM   #920
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's fine if the blood just dribbles out, but if it comes out at force it's outputting. I read that when it happened to Biden during the debate the jet was powerful enough to knock over Harris and the others had to hunch behind their podia for safety as Biden screamed and flailed his head around, blasting the stage with torrents of foaming red blood.
Anime-style!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics