ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Greece incidents , Greece issues

Reply
Old 17th September 2019, 05:58 PM   #121
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Like I said, I fully support you on this one. Go forth and be-penis your local Greek consulate!

And if you find some things lame then there are always other options, such as firebombing your local Greek consulate.
From eleven years ago (byline 2008)?

Quote:
Or firebombing your national riot police HQ for that matter.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Comments dating from 12 years ago. We sure this shouldn't be in the history subforum?

Quote:
Don't forget to report back and let us know how it went. Until then, I'm going with the principle that actual events in the real world are more interesting than things that only exist in your imagination.
If we are going back in terms of decades, oh I have dicks and urine property right assertions galore. My neighbors workers are in reality getting a different tact (drawing the metaphorical dick would not express anything with the current workers}.

So back to my honest question about asserting property rights. I wondered if the squats are invoking actual Squatters rights, based on the time they have been there. In some places, 'peaceful uncontested residence' actually constitutes a legal squatting claim. Don't know if Greece has such legal provisions.

See, that's not obsession. It's an on-topic query for honest discussion of the standings in the conflict, as was my question about the K*Vox paper owner's possible sympathies.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:06 PM   #122
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Pissing people off is easy though. What's hard is pissing off the right people (ie those in power) in the right way (so that you get to keep your squats). And even a speck of paint thrown at a consulate in Italy helps infinitely more with that than you pissing in your neighbour's mailbox, assuming that's even actually true rather than just another thing that only exists in your imagination such as your brother-in-law having to physically fight of squatters in his home.
Not brother in law. Buddy.

And what I asked you was your take on bourgeois property ownership. You refer to fat rich guys being gentrifying landlords. I wonder if my buddy was the sort you envision. If his property was randomly squatted, should he be forced to fight a bunch of bums for it?

In other words, is it the non-working property owners (rich fat cats) that you object to, or any property owner? This was prompted by the cartoon you posted of a bunch of guys saying they would fight the top-hatted and monocled owner for it. Is that a universal property challenge, or just for what we might call the overfed abusers of property?
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:14 PM   #123
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
From eleven years ago (byline 2008)?
Comments dating from 12 years ago. We sure this shouldn't be in the history subforum?


Quote:
So back to my honest question about asserting property rights.
To which you were given an honest answer.

Quote:
I wondered if the squats are invoking actual Squatters rights, based on the time they have been there. In some places, 'peaceful uncontested residence' actually constitutes a legal squatting claim. Don't know if Greece has such legal provisions.
No idea whether Greece has such legal provisions. They are clearly invoking actual property rights though, since they actually still have the 19 remaining squats, and are actually asserting their rights to it (for example here).

You see, your problem is that you have the notion of "actual" and "imaginary" rights mixed up. Which usually isn't so much of a problem, were it not that the only way you can mix these up is if the State is capable of enforcing those ideas on the actual world. Which is, of course, exactly what's being contested here. To put it differently: This is Exarchia, your law means nothing here

Quote:
See, that's not obsession. It's an on-topic query for honest discussion of the standings in the conflict, as was my question about the K*Vox paper owner's possible sympathies.
I've been reporting on the standings in the conflict. You know, the actual conflict in the real world, not one that only exists in your imagination.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:17 PM   #124
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Yeah, this is what I thought: you can legally claim squatter's rights to property in Greece:

https://www.athensguide.com/dorian/s...g-property.htm

So have the K*Vox crew and others maintained the conditions? Can they actually have a legal claim, which beats the state at their own game?
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:25 PM   #125
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Not brother in law. Buddy.

And what I asked you was your take on bourgeois property ownership.
My take on property is that the world is mine. YMMV

Quote:
You refer to fat rich guys being gentrifying landlords. I wonder if my buddy was the sort you envision. If his property was randomly squatted, should he be forced to fight a bunch of bums for it?
His property didn't get randomly squatted though, did it? Again just random things you make up in your imagination.

Quote:
In other words, is it the non-working property owners (rich fat cats) that you object to, or any property owner? This was prompted by the cartoon you posted of a bunch of guys saying they would fight the top-hatted and monocled owner for it. Is that a universal property challenge, or just for what we might call the overfed abusers of property?
Does it matter? What you're missing is: Suppose it were a universal property challenge, who do you think would get their property challenged? The landlord with hundreds of premises they don't use or some random working class person's home? Think it through, and realize why your imaginary scenarios are pointless. Look at the real world rather than making up imaginary scenarios, what exactly are the buildings occupied in Exarchia?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 17th September 2019 at 06:34 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:31 PM   #126
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Yeah, this is what I thought: you can legally claim squatter's rights to property in Greece:

https://www.athensguide.com/dorian/s...g-property.htm

So have the K*Vox crew and others maintained the conditions? Can they actually have a legal claim, which beats the state at their own game?
Don't know, feel free to find out and report back with your findings. In the meantime, letting the state win (allowing it to enforce its laws) does not constitute beating it at its own game.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:34 PM   #127
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
... They are clearly invoking actual property rights though, since they actually still have the 19 remaining squats, and are actually asserting their rights to it (for example here).
Back to the word games, I see. Fighting with MAT is not asserting anything. Its just fighting. Which is fine. But if MAT decides to drop the hammer, they will win. I'm wondering if the squatters could actually legally win, and have their claim uncontested. Beat the state at it's own game. Do you know if the Exarchia crew has representatives negotiating with the state in any capacity other than spray painting? Serious question.

Quote:
You see, your problem is that you have the notion of "actual" and "imaginary" rights mixed up. Which usually isn't so much of a problem, were it not that the only way you can mix these up is if the State is capable of enforcing those ideas on the actual world. Which is, of course, exactly what's being contested here. To put it differently: This is Exarchia, your law means nothing here
I'll bet you that case of beer you mentioned that Greek law will mean a lot if the state so wishes. From the looks of things, they are just pawing around (good deal, that). Curious to see what happens if the State gets pissed.

Quote:
I've been reporting on the standings in the conflict. You know, the actual conflict in the real world, not one that only exists in your imagination.
Asking you about a political/social philosophy which you posted to expand on is hardly imagination. Well, your concept of who is holding the cards is a little imaginary. I take it to mean you can not or will not elaborate on the subject you brought up?
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:49 PM   #128
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Back to the word games, I see. Fighting with MAT is not asserting anything. Its just fighting.
It is asserting a lot of things.

Quote:
But if MAT decides to drop the hammer, they will win.
Thank you Captain Obvious. It doesn't just have to be MAT, for example the air force could easily bomb the neighbourhood into oblivion in a few minutes. The question is, of course, whether the state considers the gain enough for what it will cost them in response. How many embassies, cops in hospital, and bombed banks, party offices, etc is a couple of squats worth anyway?

Quote:
I'm wondering if the squatters could actually legally win, and have their claim uncontested. Beat the state at it's own game.
Given that the state is the one writing and enforcing this "legality" you speak of, submitting to it doesn't constitute beating the state, now does it?

Quote:
Do you know if the Exarchia crew has representatives negotiating with the state in any capacity other than spray painting? Serious question.
I don't know but I don't think so.

Quote:
I'll bet you that case of beer you mentioned that Greek law will mean a lot if the state so wishes. From the looks of things, they are just pawing around (good deal, that). Curious to see what happens if the State gets pissed.
Oh they're pretty pissed off already, the head of government has been publicly humiliated about his whole "cleaning up Exarchia in a month" show.

Quote:
Asking you about a political/social philosophy which you posted to expand on is hardly imagination. Well, your concept of who is holding the cards is a little imaginary. I take it to mean you can not or will not elaborate on the subject you brought up?
In that case, the answer to your hypothetical is: Whichever is in my interest.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:51 PM   #129
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
My take on property is that the world is mine. YMMV



His property didn't get randomly squatted though, did it? Again just random things you make up in your imagination.



Does it matter? What you're missing is: Suppose it were a universal property challenge, who do you think would get their property challenged? The landlord with hundreds of premises they don't use or some random working class person's home? Think it through, and realize why your imaginary scenarios are pointless
*rubs temples*

I don't know who would get their property challenged, or on what grounds. You present this as some simplistic comic book scenario. I'm trying to sort out what you are advocating.

If the claim is universal, you are declaring pretty much everyone to be your enemy. No bueno. If you are endorsing an anti-1% POV, the field is more understandable. But you are going back and forth. The hypotheticals are simply posed to get a straight answer out of you.

Quote:
Look at the real world rather than making up imaginary scenarios, what exactly are the buildings occupied in Exarchia?
Not sure. That's why I asked about the paper owners there. Have they in essence abandoned the properties? How long ago? The squatters may be in full legal ownership here and now, which puts the state in a powerfully bad position with the law they in theory support.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 07:07 PM   #130
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
*rubs temples*

I don't know who would get their property challenged, or on what grounds. You present this as some simplistic comic book scenario. I'm trying to sort out what you are advocating.
I'm not really advocating much of anything, I'm reporting a sequence of events. If anything, I suppose I'm advocating for my own interest.

Quote:
If the claim is universal, you are declaring pretty much everyone to be your enemy. No bueno. If you are endorsing an anti-1% POV, the field is more understandable. But you are going back and forth. The hypotheticals are simply posed to get a straight answer out of you.
Well you got a straight answer: The answer to your hypothetical is whatever answer is in my interest. Since you refused to provide more details about your hypothetical it remains to be seen which answer that is.

Quote:
Not sure. That's why I asked about the paper owners there. Have they in essence abandoned the properties? How long ago? The squatters may be in full legal ownership here and now, which puts the state in a powerfully bad position with the law they in theory support.
Does it matter? The K*Vox owner refused to file a complaint so the state made up some excuse to force entry anyway.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 07:07 PM   #131
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It is asserting a lot of things.
Metaphorically, perhaps. In practice, it's poking the bear.

Quote:
Thank you Captain Obvious. It doesn't just have to be MAT, for example the air force could easily bomb the neighbourhood into oblivion in a few minutes. The question is, of course, whether the state considers the gain enough for what it will cost them in response. How many embassies, cops in hospital, and bombed banks, party offices, etc is a couple of squats worth anyway?
I doubt this is about a couple of squats, nor has it ever been. It's about power and submission.

Quote:
Given that the state is the one writing and enforcing this "legality" you speak of, submitting to it doesn't constitute beating the state, now does it?
Sure it would. Is Greece a dictatorship, or do its laws come by representative consent of the governed?

Quote:
In that case, the answer to your hypothetical is: Whichever is in my interest.
Now we are getting somewhere. Pulling teeth with you, for gods sake.

So law is whatever you want at the time that suits you? Seems to require a huge leap of faith in your good will. If you got up on the wrong side of the bed, that would mean my family could be in danger of you asserting property rights on, say, my daughter. So why would anyone advocate such a philosophy? You are basically saying 'you know what? Let's just go Mad Max. Trust me, it will work out great. Just don't piss me off'.

Do you seriously not see why us normies could not possibly endorse this, and by extension sympathize with the squats?
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 07:16 PM   #132
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,698
The Exarchioids* sound, at least in Cave's mouth, like a gaggle of Sov Cits in an ugly mood.

* See? I can use Greek derivative endings. The world is mine, after all. Muh!
__________________
Fill the seats of justice with good men; not so absolute in goodness as to forget what human frailty is. -- Thomas Jefferson

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 07:21 PM   #133
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Metaphorically, perhaps. In practice, it's poking the bear.
The same is equally true the other way around.

Quote:
Sure it would. Is Greece a dictatorship, or do its laws come by representative consent of the governed?
It is a dictatorship of the bourgeoisie, like other capitalist states. Its laws clearly don't have consent of those it tries to govern in Exarchia.

Quote:
Now we are getting somewhere. Pulling teeth with you, for gods sake.

So law is whatever you want at the time that suits you? Seems to require a huge leap of faith in your good will. If you got up on the wrong side of the bed, that would mean my family could be in danger of you asserting property rights on, say, my daughter. So why would anyone advocate such a philosophy? You are basically saying 'you know what? Let's just go Mad Max. Trust me, it will work out great. Just don't piss me off'.
You understand this says a lot more about you than it does about me, right? "Those anarchists, if they don't have the state and its laws holding them back then what's stopping them from doing [insert bad thing X]" is no different from
"Those atheists, if they don't have fear of god holding them back then what's stopping them from doing [insert bad thing X]". I get that you think that you're intelligently refuting some philosophical position, but all you're really doing is just telling us about yourself. Is this why you refuse to use actual real-world observations but stick to arbitrary imaginary scenarios you're making up?

Quote:
Do you seriously not see why us normies could not possibly endorse this, and by extension sympathize with the squats?
I find it interesting that you can not sympathize with squats where refugees find sanctuary and safe haven in a neighbourhood, thinking they should be thrown into concentration camps instead, for no other reason than that you manage to scare yourself with completely imaginary scenarios that you're just making up as you go.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 17th September 2019 at 07:25 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 07:48 PM   #134
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It is a dictatorship of the bourgeoisie, like other capitalist states. Its laws clearly don't have consent of those it tries to govern in Exarchia.
Seriously? That is what this boils down to? Laws are not valid unless they cater to each and every individual's wishes?

Quote:
You understand this says a lot more about you than it does about me, right? "Those anarchists, if they don't have the state and its laws holding them back then what's stopping them from doing [insert bad thing X]" is no different from
"Those atheists, if they don't have fear of god holding them back then what's stopping them from doing [insert bad thing X]". I get that you think that you're intelligently refuting some philosophical position, but all you're really doing is just telling us about yourself. Is this why you refuse to use actual real-world observations but stick to arbitrary imaginary scenarios you're making up?
Ummmm...no. You say that you honor whatever interpretation suits you at the time. That's not even anarchy.

eta: and if either religious dudes or anarchists or who ******* ever said that their code is 'whatever suits their interests at the time', my ass ain't trusting them. That's the rationality of the sociopath

And I am only posing hypotheticals (I think only 2) because you are being as coy as a flirty girl. Knock it off. Por favor.

The real world scenarios can only be evaluated in hindsight. To understand what your philosophy entails, you have to speculate based on what it suggests. You say 'whatever suits your interests'. Do I have that right? Are there any other restrictions on this, or is it pretty much you will do what you want? I mean, sociopathy FTW and all, but seriously: how can you expect nyone else to get on board if that is your selling point?

Quote:
I find it interesting that you can not sympathize with squats where refugees find sanctuary and safe haven in a neighbourhood, thinking they should be thrown into concentration camps instead, for no other reason than that you manage to scare yourself with completely imaginary scenarios that you're just making up as you go.
Bull. I said from my first post that providing shelter for refugees was laudable. And double bull, because I do sympathize with squatters. What I don't sympathize with is your proxy sociopolitical structure. It can't even work in theory. So I am borderline begging you to fill in the details. Going to bat your eyelashes around some more, or get on with it?
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet

Last edited by Thermal; 17th September 2019 at 08:19 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 08:19 PM   #135
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Seriously? That is what this boils down to? Laws are not valid unless they cater to each and every individual's wishes?
What does it mean for a law to be "valid"? You asked where the power to create laws comes from in Greece and about consent by the people the state tries to govern, I answered.

Quote:
The real world scenarios can only be evaluated in hindsight.
Of course not, you can check which buildings are squatted in Exarchia right now. You just don't like real world observations because they don't align with your hypotheticals. How many points was it again for using the results of a thought experiment which contradicts the results of a real experiment?

Quote:
To understand what your philosophy entails, you have to speculate based on what it suggests. You say 'whatever suits your interests'. Do I have that right? Are there any other restrictions on this, or is it pretty much you will do what you want? I mean, sociopathy FTW and all, but seriously: how can you expect nyone else to get on board if that is your selling point?
Wait, other people are against acting in their own self-interest?

Me: "Hey guys, I think it would be in my interest to get some more paid holiday, let's go on strike!"

Coworkers: "No! More paid holiday would also be in our interest, and we are against acting in our own self-interest!"

Quote:
Bull. I said from my first post that providing shelter for refugees was laudable. And double bull, because I do sympathize with squatters. What I don't sympathize with is your proxy sociopolitical structure. It can't even work in theory. So I am borderline begging you to fill in the details. Going to bat your eyelashes around some more, or get on with it?
What details would you need filled in? And you did say that you couldn't sympathize with the squats because some random dude on the internet (aka me) talked to you about some anarchist philosophy (not even the 'mainstream' anarchist philosophy at that).
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 17th September 2019 at 08:38 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 08:49 PM   #136
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
What does it mean for a law to be "valid"? You asked where the power to create laws comes from in Greece and about consent by the people the state tries to govern, I answered.
You left out 'collectively' though, and tried to slide it over to 'this handful of people'. Laws apply to everyone in the society. Exarchia elects to be in the society. Can't really punk out on complying with the rules if you are in someone else's crib.

Quote:
Of course not, you can check which buildings are squatted in Exarchia right now. You just don't like real world observations because they don't align with your hypotheticals. How many points was it again for using the results of thought experiment which contradicts the results of a real experiment?
...wut?

The real world scenarios have not played out yet, so we cannot test or even consider them. We can only see what has happened thus far, and that is in heavy flux. What happens next is anybody's guess. What will the squatters do? Who knows, lacking a coherent philosophy?

Quote:
Wait, other people are against acting in their own self-interest?

Me: "Hey guys, I think it would be in my interest to get some more paid holiday, let's go on strike!"

Coworkers: "No! More paid holiday would also be in our interest, and we are against acting in our own self-interest!"
To mimic what you said upthread, this says more about you. You are single, no kids. Yes, I think altruism is a thing. Most of what I do is directly for the benefit of others (arguably, doing for others to satisfy my sense of duty). I haven't even been in the top five for a long time. And those strawmen do not serve your argument. No one is arguing for austerity.

Quote:
What details would you need filled in? And you did say that you couldn't sympathize with the squats because some random dude on the internet (aka me) talked to you about some anarchist philosophy (not even the 'mainstream' anarchist philosophy at that).
Whhh...what?

I do sympathize with the squats. If they have been left alone since the '80s, they are established freaking generationally by now. Seems an odd delay for the state to suddenly enforce trespass, so I question the motives. I would very much like to know if they are appointing representatives to negotiate (the smart move), or are just going to 'assert property rights' and let down those they are sheltering with childish bravado.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet

Last edited by Thermal; 17th September 2019 at 08:50 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 09:11 PM   #137
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Laws apply to everyone in the society. Exarchia elects to be in the society. Can't really punk out on complying with the rules if you are in someone else's crib.
Interesting that out of 3 statements you managed to make 3 false ones.

Quote:
I do sympathize with the squats. If they have been left alone since the '80s, they are established freaking generationally by now.
They haven't been left alone, they've merely been victorious every time up until now - and it seems they may be again.

Quote:
Seems an odd delay for the state to suddenly enforce trespass, so I question the motives. I would very much like to know if they are appointing representatives to negotiate (the smart move), or are just going to 'assert property rights' and let down those they are sheltering with childish bravado.
What do you mean "let down those they are sheltering"? You understand that the squat, as in the actual building, is an inanimate object right? It can not "let down" those being sheltered because those being sheltered constitute the decision making of the squat, the squats are self-managed. And if you want to know something, you can easily contact them via social media and ask. For example here is the facebook page of Spirou Trikoupi 17, or here for the K*Vox, feel free to go tell them they got it all wrong with that "resistance" thing and they should negotiate their surrender to the state instead because you, some random dude on the internet whose biggest achievement is urinating in someone's mailbox, says so. If anything is childish it is the extent of your intellectual faculties.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 17th September 2019 at 09:16 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 09:17 PM   #138
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Interesting that out of 3 statements you managed to make 3 false ones.



They haven't been left alone, they've merely been victorious every time up until now - and it seems they may be again.



What do you mean "let down those they are sheltering"? You understand that the squat, as in the actual building, is an inanimate object right? It can not "let down" those being sheltered because those being sheltered constitute the decision making of the squat, the squats are self-managed. And if you want to know something, you can easily contact them via social media and ask. For example here is the facebook page of Spirou Trikoupi 17, or here for the K*Vox, feel free to go tell them they got it all wrong with that "resistance" thing and they should negotiate their surrender to the state instead.
How many times do I have to say this? They should not surrender, especially if they have a legit claim. They should, if they are smart, talk with the paper owners who seem to not give a fat rat's ass about the properties being squatted and work out who actually has rights there.

And hey, mainstream normie: I don't facebook. My mother in law does.

eta: your edit: urinating in mailboxes is not in my top ten list of achievements. But I expect it falls in with your concept of property rights, n'est ce pas?

And keep cranking on with the 'I'm totes a rebel in mom's basement' pose you seem to so relish. I have tried to discuss this quite a few times in good faith, but I think we can agree it's not happening? See ya on the next one
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet

Last edited by Thermal; 17th September 2019 at 09:22 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 09:24 PM   #139
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
How many times do I have to say this? They should not surrender, especially if they have a legit claim. They should, if they are smart, talk with the paper owners who seem to not give a fat rat's ass about the properties being squatted and work out who actually has rights there.
Well I don't think they will agree to surrender to the state (ie to submit to being ruled by its law) but you're free to go and tell them about your idea. As to the highlighted, you misspelled "dimwitted."

Quote:
And hey, mainstream normie: I don't facebook. My mother in law does.
You can easily find plenty of other ways to message them with your proposal. Let us know what response you got.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 11:44 AM   #140
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
eta: your edit: urinating in mailboxes is not in my top ten list of achievements. But I expect it falls in with your concept of property rights, n'est ce pas?
It does, but as I said it's off-topic.

Quote:
And keep cranking on with the 'I'm totes a rebel in mom's basement' pose you seem to so relish.
I'll note that you have only childish ad hominems left. And I'm not particularly interested in these poses of yours, I'm more interested in the real world, so I'll just refer you back to this.

Quote:
I have tried to discuss this quite a few times in good faith, but I think we can agree it's not happening? See ya on the next one
If you find it so important to discuss this, I provided you with the contact details of the squats, feel free to discuss your ideas with them and report back on your findings.

ETA: Here you find the rules for journalists for Notara 26 (one of the squats). I don't know about the other squats but it'll probably be similar.
Originally Posted by Notara 26
We have a lot of trouble getting across to them that in order to get the opportunity to interview us, you have to apply in advance, giving all the necessary details, and then wait for the decision of Notara 26 assembly. And if the answer is no, it must be respected.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 18th September 2019 at 11:50 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 12:11 AM   #141
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
This morning two refugee squats were evicted, using the same pretense of anti-drugs operations (again not finding even a single joint), and its inhabitants to be sent off to the camps. It should be noted that these squats weren't in Exarchia but in one of the surrounding neighbourhoods. There were 23 squats in Exarchia and 26 in the surrounding neighbourhoods, so that's leaving at this time still 19/23 in Exarchia and 24/26 in the surroundings. ETA: that's just the "illegal" squats, there are also a whole bunch of "legal" spaces in Exarchia.

What an odd move.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 19th September 2019 at 12:12 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 07:06 AM   #142
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I'll note that you have only childish ad hominems left. And I'm not particularly interested in these poses of yours, I'm more interested in the real world, so I'll just refer you back to this.
No, I've got a lot left. But you make it frustrating to engage in any substantial discussion when you play little word games. We're adults here, right? How about we discuss this like adults? Is that really so much to ask?

Quote:
If you find it so important to discuss this, I provided you with the contact details of the squats, feel free to discuss your ideas with them and report back on your findings.

ETA: Here you find the rules for journalists for Notara 26 (one of the squats). I don't know about the other squats but it'll probably be similar.
Yet again. I'm interested in discussing this with skeptics on this forum. What about that confounds you so? If I wanted to chat (in Greek I assume) with the squatters, I would have already done so.

Like most posters on most threads, I am interested in the discussion HERE.

Btw, the link you provide was for their Greek facebook, neither element of which I an conversant in, and the other for interview inquiries by journalists. That they only talk to when they feel like it. Thanks, helpful.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 07:09 AM   #143
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
This morning two refugee squats were evicted, using the same pretense of anti-drugs operations (again not finding even a single joint), and its inhabitants to be sent off to the camps. It should be noted that these squats weren't in Exarchia but in one of the surrounding neighbourhoods. There were 23 squats in Exarchia and 26 in the surrounding neighbourhoods, so that's leaving at this time still 19/23 in Exarchia and 24/26 in the surroundings. ETA: that's just the "illegal" squats, there are also a whole bunch of "legal" spaces in Exarchia.

What an odd move.
Working from the perimeter inwards seems the logical strategic move. Can'rt really start from the center and fan out. What else should they have done, that would be less odd?
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 11:53 AM   #144
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
No, I've got a lot left. But you make it frustrating to engage in any substantial discussion when you play little word games. We're adults here, right? How about we discuss this like adults? Is that really so much to ask?
I have. You demanding that I have to accept your childish fantasies of abstract property rights, law, or the state in general doesn't change that. It's like you demanding that people on a skeptics forum have to accept the existence of Santa Claus and if they ignore that demand then you go whine about "adult conversations."

You then made up some hypothetical situation about your buddy's house and asked what position I would take, yet refused to give sufficient information for me to determine which option would be in my interest. But since I have no idea who your buddy is or what house you're even talking about, my answer will most likely be: I'm indifferent.

And that's your problem, your need to be governed by some authority. The situation is presented in which current authority falls away, so you frantically look for another authority to obey, in particular you start asking me about your buddy's house and what "should" happen. Yet why should I care about your buddy's house?

Quote:
Yet again. I'm interested in discussing this with skeptics on this forum. What about that confounds you so? If I wanted to chat (in Greek I assume) with the squatters, I would have already done so.

Like most posters on most threads, I am interested in the discussion HERE.

Btw, the link you provide was for their Greek facebook, neither element of which I an conversant in, and the other for interview inquiries by journalists. That they only talk to when they feel like it. Thanks, helpful.
They speak English. I gave you the rules for journalists because your request will probably be considered in the same way. Don't forget to tell them about how you "wrote the book" on what they're doing and if only they were "smart" they would listen to you, I'm sure it definitely won't get your request instantly moved to the bottom of the pile

ETA: And I used to provide translations of Greek and French texts here, but apparently that's considered "spam" by the local petty little tyrants here.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 19th September 2019 at 12:08 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 12:03 PM   #145
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Working from the perimeter inwards seems the logical strategic move. Can'rt really start from the center and fan out. What else should they have done, that would be less odd?
No it isn't any logical strategic move. If their strategy was to work from the perimeter inwards then why did they start in the middle with the first 4 squats? Why have they occupied about 25% of Exarchia since 26 August, still having several squats inside the occupied area, if they were going to work inwards? And if this is their new strategy, then why have they changed strategy?

The squats they took weren't even defended, they were probably the lowest-hanging fruit they could find in the entirety of Athens, they could simply walk in and arrest everyone - which is effectively what they did. No I think there are 2 possibilities:

1) They can't "clean up" Exarchia so to save face they captured about 230 easy-picking migrants from somewhere else.

2) They are testing what the reaction will be. Essentially a "probing attack" before deciding whether to move forward with the "clean up" of Exarchia.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 12:07 PM   #146
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Yesterday was the yearly memorial service for Pavlos Fyssas who was murdered by Golden Dawn in 2013. The first part, during the day, consisted of a demonstration of about 8000 anti-fascists. The second part, during the day, consisted of smashing up banks and luxury shops and throwing Molotov cocktails on MAT forces.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 12:17 PM   #147
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 45,910
God, somebody is tyring to make a bunch of demonstrators who don't seem to have much public support outside a few wannabe revolutionaries into the dawn of the glorious world wide People's revolution.....
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 11:05 PM   #148
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Yesterday was the yearly memorial service for Pavlos Fyssas who was murdered by Golden Dawn in 2013. The first part, during the day, consisted of a demonstration of about 8000 anti-fascists. The second part, during the day, consisted of smashing up banks and luxury shops and throwing Molotov cocktails on MAT forces.
I googled this to find out more about the story. 8000 demonstrators sounds like an amazing show of force. But google turned up dead zero hits for a demonstration yesterday. Could you throw a brother a bone and give us a link?
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 11:12 PM   #149
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
No it isn't any logical strategic move. If their strategy was to work from the perimeter inwards then why did they start in the middle with the first 4 squats?
Grab the undefended first, and survey the area on the way in? Makes sense.

Quote:
Why have they occupied about 25% of Exarchia since 26 August, still having several squats inside the occupied area, if they were going to work inwards? And if this is their new strategy, then why have they changed strategy?
Strategies change all the time, no surprises there. I wondered why you thought it was an odd move. Didn't seem particularly odd.

Quote:
The squats they took weren't even defended, they were probably the lowest-hanging fruit they could find in the entirety of Athens, they could simply walk in and arrest everyone - which is effectively what they did. No I think there are 2 possibilities:

1) They can't "clean up" Exarchia so to save face they captured about 230 easy-picking migrants from somewhere else.

2) They are testing what the reaction will be. Essentially a "probing attack" before deciding whether to move forward with the "clean up" of Exarchia.
With you on #2. Makes the most sense to me
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 11:22 PM   #150
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I have. You demanding that I have to accept your childish fantasies of abstract property rights, law, or the state in general doesn't change that. It's like you demanding that people on a skeptics forum have to accept the existence of Santa Claus and if they ignore that demand then you go whine about "adult conversations."

You then made up some hypothetical situation about your buddy's house and asked what position I would take, yet refused to give sufficient information for me to determine which option would be in my interest. But since I have no idea who your buddy is or what house you're even talking about, my answer will most likely be: I'm indifferent.

And that's your problem, your need to be governed by some authority. The situation is presented in which current authority falls away, so you frantically look for another authority to obey, in particular you start asking me about your buddy's house and what "should" happen. Yet why should I care about your buddy's house?
You pretty much summed it up when you said your philosophy is to do whatever happens to serve your interests at the time. Not much more to clear up, philosophy-wise.

Quote:
They speak English. I gave you the rules for journalists because your request will probably be considered in the same way. Don't forget to tell them about how you "wrote the book" on what they're doing and if only they were "smart" they would listen to you, I'm sure it definitely won't get your request instantly moved to the bottom of the pile

ETA: And I used to provide translations of Greek and French texts here, but apparently that's considered "spam" by the local petty little tyrants here.
That highlighted...you've said that a couple times now. You do know you've completely screwed that up right? What I said was:

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
...Cuz you don't hold a candle to me for childish BS. I wrote the book while you were getting potty trained.
Reread that and reflect real hard. I said I wrote the book on childish BS. As in, you're not going to be more of an immature prick than me, Baba Louis. If you need your hand held for further explanation, imma be over here.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 02:01 PM   #151
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I googled this to find out more about the story. 8000 demonstrators sounds like an amazing show of force. But google turned up dead zero hits for a demonstration yesterday. Could you throw a brother a bone and give us a link?
Here you go.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 02:13 PM   #152
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
The government removed a container with political literature from the central square of Exarchia. The container had been there for over 2 years, storing books, leaflets, etc which were used for political stands when there were events on the square.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 02:35 PM   #153
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Spirou Trikoupi 17 (one of the 4 squats in Exarchia which was evicted on 26 Aug) has been retaken (see also video here). We are back up to 20 squats inside Exarchia. And that while the neighbourhood is under active police occupation...impressive!

Exarchia stands!
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 20th September 2019 at 02:36 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 03:11 AM   #154
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,605
Wow. What a thread.

My take: if things really are this bad in this anarchistic slum of a neighbourhood, and so bad on a national level that the police can't enforce Greek law without threat of terrorist attacks, it's high time they restore order. Maybe all the chaos today is worth the of tomorrow. Like when you stop treating a spoiled child with silk gloves and he or she throws a series of tantrums, but you hold out because you know that by the end of it they will respect you.

As for the edgy "property is theft" mentality of squatters occupying others' property, the stolen tomato can and sold car metaphor is very fitting answer.

~ eta ~
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
But then of course, it is also the rationale behind some of the squats being free clinics (nobody goes without free healthcare in Exarchia, not even refugees who are denied access to healthcare by the State) and some of them being community kitchens (nobody goes hungry in Exarchia, not even refugees), etc. If I were in Exarchia it would be in my interest to get free healthcare if needed, and it's also in the interest of the other people there, so we come together and make it happen.
Oh, how noble of them. Warms my heart.

Except, of course, they could've done those things just fine anywhere else, without taking someone else's property and resorting to a life of lawlessness. Volunteer at a clinic or soup kitchen, volunteer for refugees, donate to the Red Cross.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 21st September 2019 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Added quote
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 06:50 AM   #155
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arcadia, Greece
Posts: 25,477
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Here you go.
Never mind
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut

Last edited by GlennB; 21st September 2019 at 07:06 AM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 08:40 AM   #156
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Currently Dismembered
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Never mind
Yeah, it was all Greek to me, too
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 08:42 AM   #157
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,605
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
The government removed a container with political literature from the central square of Exarchia. The container had been there for over 2 years, storing books, leaflets, etc which were used for political stands when there were events on the square.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...540e65d331.jpg
Pity. Maybe the grafitti-covered container in the middle of the street would have been allowed to remain if someone just put it on their own property .
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 08:43 AM   #158
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arcadia, Greece
Posts: 25,477
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Yeah, it was all Greek to me, too


I ran it past MrsB who used it as a translation exercise. I then put it through google translate which did a pretty good job, afaics. But I'm trying not to get sucked into these utterly futile threads, but mostly failing.
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 08:45 AM   #159
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,605
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Yeah, it was all Greek to me, too
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Never mind
I Google Translated and it still said nothing about 8000 protesters. tl;dr "antifa protesting, nazis from New Deal (?) dying out".
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 03:13 PM   #160
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
And he's Greek, or part-Greek.
I'm neither.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:54 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.