ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th September 2019, 05:39 PM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

A teen allegedly wanted to ‘shoot 400 people for fun.’ Cops found an AK-47 in her bed

The last time this happened someone wrote a song about it (Well the shooter back then actually managed to kill someone...)

Quote:
Alexis Wilson was working an afternoon shift at the local Pizza Inn in McAlester, Okla., on Sunday, when she pulled a co-worker aside to boast about her new gun.

The slight 18-year-old with large brown eyes clutched her iPhone and pressed play on a video of her shooting a newly purchased AK-47, according to an incident report. Then Wilson told the other teenage waitress how much she resented the people at her old school — allegedly adding that she wanted to “shoot 400 people for fun.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...m_national_pop

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:26 PM   #2
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Glad her co-worker didn't hesitate to speak to her manager, who, in turn quickly spoke to police, who, clearly did their job and nobody died. I think she was one bad day away from some serious ****.
Old 17th September 2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Thermal
Philosopher

Whats with the 'slight teen with large brown eyes' description? They lift that from her Tinder page?

Having a gun and a lot of sicko talk used to be commonplace when I grew up. Talk is cheap, and an expensive fetish totem isn't necessarily more than that. I mean, if a crime in the works was stopped, thank god. How do you differentiate talk and accessorizing from actual intent? I think a lot of knuckleheads romanticize weapons and buy them. Even idly fantasize about shooting hyperbolic amounts of people. Sounds more like too many video games to me. Big difference between keeping an unused gun bought at Wal-mart under your bed and being a mass murderer.

eta: can't read the article, even with adblock off

Last edited by Thermal; 17th September 2019 at 08:12 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 08:29 PM   #4
Venom
Illuminator

Always interesting to see a female mass killer, though many of them do turn out to be lesbian, possibly transgender.

Whether she was serious or not will be interesting. In one of her photos she is wearing a t-shirt with "The Anarchist Cookbook" written across it.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Always interesting to see a female mass killer, though many of them do turn out to be lesbian, possibly transgender.

Whether she was serious or not will be interesting. In one of her photos she is wearing a t-shirt with "The Anarchist Cookbook" written across it.
Yeah, kind of what I was thinking: Ted Bundy wasn't wearing a 'Natural Born Killer' shirt. It's a bit on the nose. Poser fashion
Old 17th September 2019, 09:09 PM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

For an official World Record attempt for "Shooting the most people with an AK-47 in 24 hours", she would have needed to call up the people from the Guinness Book and coordinate the When and Where.
Amateurs...
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 09:20 PM   #7
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Was this "slight woman" actually capable of carrying not just the gun but enough ammo to do the job? I would imagine she would need a shopping trolley full of hi-cap mags for the thing. People sort of notice that at the school security gates...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 09:30 PM   #8
Scootch
Muse

I think a big take away is she had six magazines and you don’t need that many for target shooting or home defense and I know gun owners and they don’t have six magazines for any of their guns.
Scootch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 09:37 PM   #9
Thermal
Philosopher

No-adblock version from usatoday: says she had been expeled from high school for bringing a knife in and having some kind of swastika. Had a 12 gauge, too. Charming lass.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...un/2355821001/
Old 17th September 2019, 10:45 PM   #10
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

More details

Quote:
The report says Alexis Wilson purchased a new AK-47 and took photos and videos of herself with the weapon.

Wilson allegedly showed a co-worker the videos and told her "that she was going to shoot 400 people for fun and that there were so many people at her old school that she would like to do it to," according to an arrest report. Police said Wilson was making threats against McAlester High School in Pittsburg County, Oklahoma, about 90 miles south of Tulsa.

When interviewed, Wilson told investigating officers that "she didn't mean the statement to sound the way it did and that she was just trying to teach her coworker to not be afraid of firearms," the report said.
By threatening to shoot up a school? Obvious lie.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Having a gun and a lot of sicko talk used to be commonplace when I grew up. Talk is cheap, and an expensive fetish totem isn't necessarily more than that. I mean, if a crime in the works was stopped, thank god. How do you differentiate talk and accessorizing from actual intent?
Nope, sorry; I'm not going to let you reframe uttering threats of mass shootings, against a specific target no less, into some kind of perfectly-fine behavior that the authorities have a burden to prove isn't just some kind of meaningless "locker room talk" before they can move to protect society.

The charge is "making terroristic threats". The "talk" is the crime.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 11:37 PM   #11
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What can you get there for a Terrorist Threat charge?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 11:55 PM   #12
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
What can you get there for a Terrorist Threat charge?
A job in Trump's White House.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 12:44 AM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Example?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:11 AM   #14
Arcade22
Philosopher

I highly doubt it was an actual AK-47. They are pretty hard to come by, even in America with gun stores in every small town, since they are select-fire and can shoot fully automatic.

I know it's complicated and demanding of the journalists (and perhaps for the police as well), but they really should just call it an AK-style rifle unless they have proof it was a genuine AK-47.
Old 18th September 2019, 01:48 AM   #15
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I highly doubt it was an actual AK-47. They are pretty hard to come by, even in America with gun stores in every small town, since they are select-fire and can shoot fully automatic.

I know it's complicated and demanding of the journalists (and perhaps for the police as well), but they really should just call it an AK-style rifle unless they have proof it was a genuine AK-47.
While I'm usually all for detailed accuracy in journalism, I'm not sure the additional precision here would serve much of a purpose. Most people have heard of an AK-47 and know basically what it is. That there are a number of more-or-less identical weapons that technically aren't AK-47s but are so similar in form and function as to be more or less indistinguishable really doesn't matter. After all, a lot of people use "Kleenex" rather than "Kleenex-style paper tissue", and there's not a lot of danger of them being misunderstood.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:02 AM   #16
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Whats with the 'slight teen with large brown eyes' description?
Maybe because she is, you know, "slight" with "large brown eyes".
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:45 AM   #17
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
I think a big take away is she had six magazines and you don’t need that many for target shooting or home defense and I know gun owners and they don’t have six magazines for any of their guns.
I guess you know a few gun owners. I certainly do not think it is unusual to have six magazines for a firearm. In fact for certain competitors, it is normal to have six or more.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:52 AM   #18
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I highly doubt it was an actual AK-47.
According to this chart, it was.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:56 AM   #19
Ranb
Philosopher

Was this "slight woman" actually capable of carrying not just the gun but enough ammo to do the job? I would imagine she would need a shopping trolley full of hi-cap mags for the thing. People sort of notice that at the school security gates...
A Romanian WASR-10 is 7.5 pounds. Each 30 round magazine is about 1 pound. 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 is about 36 pounds or a little over a pound for 30 cartridges.

Carrying a loaded AK type rifle is about 9.5 pounds. 5 extra mags and 500 rounds of ammo will weigh down the shooter's backpack by about 23 pounds. No trolley required.

Putting ten rounds on a stripper clip for rapid loading into the magazines adds a bit more weight, nothing our slight shooter will notice I think.

Good on her co-worker for alerting others.

Quote:
When interviewed, Wilson told investigating officers that "she didn't mean the statement to sound the way it did and that she was just trying to teach her coworker to not be afraid of firearms," the report said.
I think she is going down for this one. If she wasn't stupid, the article would have read something else like, "When interviewed Wilson refused to provide a statement to the investigating officers on the advice of her lawyer."

Last edited by Ranb; 18th September 2019 at 04:04 AM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 04:08 AM   #20
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Bluesjnrs Rule - Thread Trumped!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 04:39 AM   #21
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
A 5 foot seven inch tall girl isn't a "slight build", it's slightly above the average, which is 5'4".
Old 18th September 2019, 04:42 AM   #22
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
While I'm usually all for detailed accuracy in journalism, I'm not sure the additional precision here would serve much of a purpose. Most people have heard of an AK-47 and know basically what it is. That there are a number of more-or-less identical weapons that technically aren't AK-47s but are so similar in form and function as to be more or less indistinguishable really doesn't matter. After all, a lot of people use "Kleenex" rather than "Kleenex-style paper tissue", and there's not a lot of danger of them being misunderstood.
Have to agree here, this is tedious nitpicking. Gun people often refer to the various AK pattern rifles as an AK in casual conversation. The USSR policy of sharing the design and encouraging local manufacture among its allies makes such distinction unnecessary in the general since. Many of them are like 99% parts compatible.

"Ackshually, that's not an AK, it's a WASR" is just being annoying for the sake of being annoying. No one gives a damn if it's a Yugo AK, or a Chinese AK, or a Romanian AK, it's an AK.

Journalists are quite bad about using correct terms when it comes to important firearms distinctions, but this isn't one of them. I'm more miffed when they call ordinary rifles machine guns and other more meaningful errors.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 18th September 2019 at 04:47 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 04:49 AM   #23
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
A 5 foot seven inch tall girl isn't a "slight build", it's slightly above the average, which is 5'4".
She is if she's five foot seven and weighs 55 lbs
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 04:55 AM   #24
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Surely this a breach of her 1st amendment rights, she hasn't killed anyone, nor was stopped with a gun in her hands and about to pull the trigger and kill someone?
Old 18th September 2019, 05:05 AM   #25
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Surely this a breach of her 1st amendment rights, she hasn't killed anyone, nor was stopped with a gun in her hands and about to pull the trigger and kill someone?
To be honest, I think the details will matter a lot here. They charged her with "making a terroristic threat", the exact verbiage will matter here.

I think saying something like "It would bring me great pleasure to commit [act of mass violence]" is probably 1A protected speech. Saying that you are planning to do so would be considered a true threat.

Hopefully her time in the system involves some sort of mental health assistance, but I'm not optimistic. Much easier to just throw them in the clink and not worry about underlying issues.
Old 18th September 2019, 05:07 AM   #26
Ranb
Philosopher

They don't care in Oklahoma and most other parts of the world.

https://law.justia.com/codes/oklahom...ion-21-1268.1/
Quote:
10. “Terrorist activity” means to plan, aid or abet an act of terrorism or aid or abet any person who plans or commits an act of terrorism; and

Last edited by Ranb; 18th September 2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 18th September 2019, 05:08 AM   #27
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Was kind of thinking the same thing tbf

It seems a bit one word against another unless there is stuff written down I have missed.

(provided the guns are legally owned obviously)

Old 18th September 2019, 05:11 AM   #28
Ranb
Philosopher

Was kind of thinking the same thing tbf

It seems a bit one word against another unless there is stuff written down I have missed.

(provided the guns are legally owned obviously)
Well, according to CNN she already talked to the police and admitted making the threat; said she did not mean it though.
Old 18th September 2019, 05:14 AM   #29
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
According to this chart, it was.

Dave
Love it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 05:33 AM   #30
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Well, according to CNN she already talked to the police and admitted making the threat; said she did not mean it though.
Tough one then given US law (or what I know about it)

If she is a nutter who would actually do it then all good, but how do they actually prove it?

Old 18th September 2019, 05:38 AM   #31
HawksFan
Muse

Originally Posted by Scootch View Post

I've got that many just for my 1911. Saves time reloading at the range, especially if you're paying by the hour.
Old 18th September 2019, 05:39 AM   #32
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Whats with the 'slight teen with large brown eyes' description? They lift that from her Tinder page?

Having a gun and a lot of sicko talk used to be commonplace when I grew up. Talk is cheap, and an expensive fetish totem isn't necessarily more than that. I mean, if a crime in the works was stopped, thank god. How do you differentiate talk and accessorizing from actual intent? I think a lot of knuckleheads romanticize weapons and buy them. Even idly fantasize about shooting hyperbolic amounts of people. Sounds more like too many video games to me. Big difference between keeping an unused gun bought at Wal-mart under your bed and being a mass murderer.

eta: can't read the article, even with adblock off

Man, you are soooooooooo close to understanding the actual problem here.
Old 18th September 2019, 05:40 AM   #33
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Early this week some of the housekeeping staff (we contract with a service) reported that one of the workers had an AR-15 in his backpack, and was selling drugs as well.
The next day, officers waiting at the housekeeping office confronted the fellow and found....

An AR-15 “pistol” and drugs in his backpack, and also outstanding warrants for domestic abuse and drug charges from other departments.

A case where “concerned citizens” actually did some good. There’s no indication that Junior was intending any sort of attack at the university.... Just a typically-paranoid drug dealer.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 05:48 AM   #34
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Tough one then given US law (or what I know about it)

If she is a nutter who would actually do it then all good, but how do they actually prove it?
After she has carried out an attack?
Old 18th September 2019, 06:05 AM   #35
Mike!

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
She is if she's five foot seven and weighs 55 lbs
The story made no mention of her being severely malnourished though.
Old 18th September 2019, 07:02 AM   #36
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Man, you are soooooooooo close to understanding the actual problem here.
Oh, I get it, and I think that's what the discussion will be about. She didn't do anything, didn't appear to be stockpiling ammo, and her crime seems to be that she openly made a couple silly, childish comments to her friends. Not sure if law enforcement will really go after her for terroristic threats if the threats were delivered with a 'tee-hee', check out this vid of me with my new gun! I'm totes gonna shoot like a million people for funsies! You could shave with my edge!'.

eta: correction, she is being charged with felony terrorist hoax. They didn't take the threat as real, either.

Last edited by Thermal; 18th September 2019 at 07:16 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 07:08 AM   #37
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Maybe because she is, you know, "slight" with "large brown eyes".
Is that how they typically describe thwarted terrorist mass murderers? 'Broad manly shoulders...smoldering blue eyes you could just lose yourself in...his throbbing loins trembling with anticipation...' I mean, seriously: what does her build and size and color of her eyes have to do with anything? Was it an admirer, maybe Incel reporter?
Old 18th September 2019, 07:15 AM   #38
Belz...
Fiend God

Is that how they typically describe thwarted terrorist mass murderers? 'Broad manly shoulders...smoldering blue eyes you could just lose yourself in...his throbbing loins trembling with anticipation...' I mean, seriously: what does her build and size and color of her eyes have to do with anything? Was it an admirer, maybe Incel reporter?
I think you're reading too much into this. The phrase was probably just to contrast her size with her violent intent.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 07:17 AM   #39
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Oh, I get it, and I think that's what the discussion will be about. She didn't do anything, didn't appear to be stockpiling ammo, and her crime seems to be that she openly made a couple silly, childish comments to her friends. Not sure if law enforcement will really go after her for terroristic threats if the threats were delivered with a 'tee-hee', check out this vid of me with my new gun! I'm totes gonna shoot like a million people for funsies! You could shave with my edge!'.
And if she had gone on to a killing spree, everyone could scream about why were all these obvious warning signs ignored, the cops/her friends/her teachers all have blood on their hands for not doing anything to stop her because they should have known.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, so you may as well err on the side that has the lower casualty rate.
Old 18th September 2019, 07:23 AM   #40
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I think you're reading too much into this. The phrase was probably just to contrast her size with her violent intent.
Eye size and color factor into violent intent? If you say so.

Methinks the reporter was a tad taken with her.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events