ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Closed Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 01:38 AM   #1121
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
short term predictions are hard.

Long term predictions are just a question of how big your error bars need to be.
Fair point

Weather arguments tend to always end up with old people pointing out anecdotes the "Great floods of 1963!" and the "Heatwave in 1932!" and "the storms of 1985!", when looked at in short terms.

But extremists are now talking short terms.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 01:42 AM   #1122
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10,247
The biggest crime of the Trump administration with regards to Climate Change is the defunding of projects that just gather data - without good data, even the best intended and funded projects will have far less impact.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 01:46 AM   #1123
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The biggest crime of the Trump administration with regards to Climate Change is the defunding of projects that just gather data - without good data, even the best intended and funded projects will have far less impact.

Agree 101%

(Added the 1 just too annoy pedants)

The more actual real time measured data the better the modeling
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 01:48 AM   #1124
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 18,727
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
This should be fun

Why?

Teach me 3point4 your vast array of knowledge.

A few simple bullet points will suffice
Oh, I've said my piece, you can read it above. You know, the bit where I point out that you think you know better than the massed ranks of climate scientists around the world. That bit.

You just carry on chap.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 01:55 AM   #1125
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Oh, I've said my piece, you can read it above. You know, the bit where I point out that you think you know better than the massed ranks of climate scientists around the world. That bit.

You just carry on chap.
You said this about my post.


It is a separate conversation

"You know that this statement shows anyone that knows what they're on about that you really are woefully uniformed, don't you? It appears you have attempted to educate yourself. You need a better, more exacting, less sloppy teacher."

I you don't have it the where with all to back it up that is fine.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 01:57 AM   #1126
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 18,727
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You said this about my post.


It is a separate conversation

"You know that this statement shows anyone that knows what they're on about that you really are woefully uniformed, don't you? It appears you have attempted to educate yourself. You need a better, more exacting, less sloppy teacher."

I you don't have it the where with all to back it up that is fine.

Ah yes, that's the one where you complain that climate science isn't accurate because the weather forecast isn't accurate.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 01:59 AM   #1127
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 44,721
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You said this about my post.


It is a separate conversation

"You know that this statement shows anyone that knows what they're on about that you really are woefully uniformed, don't you? It appears you have attempted to educate yourself. You need a better, more exacting, less sloppy teacher."

I you don't have it the where with all to back it up that is fine.
There have been countless links posted here from the likes of the IPCC and NASA. Did you read any of them? Highly unlikely.

Ignorance can be bliss I suppose.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:00 AM   #1128
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Ah yes, that's the one where you complain that climate science isn't accurate because the weather forecast isn't accurate.
I said when it came to computer modeling it was the least reliable, and could be dodgy

This not actually reading post thing really does seem to be catching.

Now we have this correction established teach me your wise words Obi Wan
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:01 AM   #1129
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,426
Seriously, stop bothering trying to convince a climate denier to come back to reality. The denial doesn't come from reason, and you can't use reason to dissuade it.

Ignore and move on. Climate denial is dying faster than the planet. Hopefully it'll be fast enough.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:02 AM   #1130
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Seriously, stop bothering trying to convince a climate denier to come back to reality. The denial doesn't come from reason, and you can't use reason to dissuade it.

Ignore and move on. Climate denial is dying faster than the planet. Hopefully it'll be fast enough.
So you didn't actually mean your post criticising my post for being ignorant?
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:04 AM   #1131
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
There have been countless links posted here from the likes of the IPCC and NASA. Did you read any of them? Highly unlikely.

Ignorance can be bliss I suppose.
Which all say AGW is happening, which I agree with.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:07 AM   #1132
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,238
Boy Trump is sure lucky the news cycle shifted to something else. He might still be being criticized for trolling a child with mild autism if something more interesting hadn't come along.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:09 AM   #1133
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 18,727
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I said when it came to computer modeling it was the least reliable, and could be dodgy
No, you said you thought it was a bit dodgy.

Quote:
This not actually reading post thing really does seem to be catching.

Now we have this correction established teach me your wise words Obi Wan

Okay, I will if you can lay down form me exactly what I would need to provide to convince you that you are wrong and that this is a much bigger issue than you think it is. Can you do that with any specificity?
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:09 AM   #1134
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 44,721
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You said this about my post.


It is a separate conversation

"You know that this statement shows anyone that knows what they're on about that you really are woefully uniformed, don't you? It appears you have attempted to educate yourself. You need a better, more exacting, less sloppy teacher."

I you don't have it the where with all to back it up that is fine.
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Which all say AGW is happening, which I agree with.
No you bloody don’t. You obviously don’t know what the “A” stands for. Time for some last minute googling.

You do not agree with AGW if you doubt human contribution to global warming.

Educate yourself.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:11 AM   #1135
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 18,727
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Which all say AGW is happening, which I agree with.
No, all say it is a looming crisis which needs dealing with. You deny that. Hence the label 'denier'.

What would it take to convince you that you're wrong? What do you need to see?
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:23 AM   #1136
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
No, you said you thought it was a bit dodgy.




Okay, I will if you can lay down form me exactly what I would need to provide to convince you that you are wrong and that this is a much bigger issue than you think it is. Can you do that with any specificity?
You claimed my post, or for some reason a "statement" as you call it.

"shows anyone that knows what they're on about that you really are woefully uniformed, don't you?"

Claims require evidence or at least justification.

I have already said don't worry about it if you have none.

I won't think too much less of you.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:23 AM   #1137
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 88,430
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
FFS

You asked what scientists I listen to and to name one

I did

You never said name a scientist that you agree with everything they say

You do get this.....

I mean it ain't that hard

I tell you what as it seems to be a point with you Darat.

Name scientists you listen to on climate change who you agree with every single point on

I meet your demand. Meet mine ..... courtesy thing.
You are really tying yourself in knots. Remember you said you listened to scientists about climate change, I asked you to name them, one of those names you gave was Cox. However as your posts above show you do not listen to Cox when he talks about climate change, so why did you mention his name?

So again which scientists do you listen to in regards to climate change?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:24 AM   #1138
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
No, all say it is a looming crisis which needs dealing with. You deny that. Hence the label 'denier'.

What would it take to convince you that you're wrong? What do you need to see?
No the links you mentioned say it is a crisis
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:25 AM   #1139
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,125
Greta Thunberg: The GOP’s Teenage Climate Nemesis | Full Frontal on TBS (min. 3:43)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


ETA: I didn't know that Bjørn Lomborg was one of the misogynists attacking Greta Thunberg:
The Misogyny of Climate Deniers (New Republic, Aug. 28, 2019)
That he is a climate denier (or is it now called a global warming centrist?) was clear a long time ago.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 26th September 2019 at 02:33 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:25 AM   #1140
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You are really tying yourself in knots. Remember you said you listened to scientists about climate change, I asked you to name them, one of those names you gave was Cox. However as your posts above show you do not listen to Cox when he talks about climate change, so why did you mention his name?

So again which scientists do you listen to in regards to climate change?

How does me not agreeing with his doom scenario say I don't listen to him?
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:27 AM   #1141
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
And where is your list of scientists?

Do you not listen to any?
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:27 AM   #1142
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 18,727
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You claimed my post, or for some reason a "statement" as you call it.

"shows anyone that knows what they're on about that you really are woefully uniformed, don't you?"

Claims require evidence or at least justification.
I told you. That you don't like it is not my issue. You can keep banging on about it if you like though?


Quote:
I have already said don't worry about it if you have none.
I'm not in the slightest worried.

Quote:
I won't think too much less of you.
That's bug of you, but your opinion of me is a matter of supreme indifference to me.



Now that's dealt with, can you tell me what evidence you would need to see to make you change your mind?
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:28 AM   #1143
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 44,721
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
No the links you mentioned say it is a crisis
Oh Christ. What does crisis mean? Not something that might happen in 100 years. Crisis does not need to be preceded by “looming” to convey the same message.

That’s all you have? It’s a crisis, but not a looming crisis?

Bloody hell.

Educate yourself.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:32 AM   #1144
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Oh Christ. What does crisis mean? Not something that might happen in 100 years. Crisis does not need to be preceded by “looming” to convey the same message.

That’s all you have? It’s a crisis, but not a looming crisis?

Bloody hell.

Educate yourself.
I am not the one claiming we have a looming CRISIS!!!!

You and Greta are

Teach me
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:34 AM   #1145
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 44,721
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I am not the one claiming we have a looming CRISIS!!!!

You and Greta are

Teach me
People have tried in this thread. Sometimes people are unteachable.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:36 AM   #1146
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 18,727
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I am not the one claiming we have a looming CRISIS!!!!

You and Greta are

Teach me
First tell us what you need to see that you have not yet seen in order to be convinced and we'll go find it.

If you can't do this, why should we, it's pointless. You've already decided you know better than the combined knowledge of climate and other scientists all over the world, so we know you have an astronomically high burden of proof.

In light of this, I don't think we should be running around getting evidence that you'll just ignore. To cut through the whole thing, you say what you want to see to be convinced and then we'll see if we can come up with it.

How's that?
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:37 AM   #1147
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I told you. That you don't like it is not my issue. You can keep banging on about it if you like though?




I'm not in the slightest worried.



That's bug of you, but your opinion of me is a matter of supreme indifference to me.



Now that's dealt with, can you tell me what evidence you would need to see to make you change your mind?
That we have a crisis?

Or that man is the sole contributor to current climate change as lionking claims?
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:38 AM   #1148
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 18,727
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
That we have a crisis?

Or that man is the sole contributor to current climate change as lionking claims?

Hey, why limit yourself? Do both.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:41 AM   #1149
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10,247
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I am not the one claiming we have a looming CRISIS!!!!

You and Greta are

Teach me
the Supertanker on a collision course analogy is apt: if you can see the iceberg with your own eyes, it is probably too late to avoid it.
The early we change course, the less radical the correction needs to be, the cheaper the effort and lesser the upset.

If we had started a global cap&trade 30 years ago, as had been suggested, normal economic forces would probably have kept greehouse gas emissions to a tolerable level.

But we've missed the window, and now we need dramatic change: not just carbon emission reduction, but active carbon capture. Not just cap and trade, but hefty carbon taxes.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:44 AM   #1150
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 88,430
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
How does me not agreeing with his doom scenario say I don't listen to him?
I see you have forgotten what you actually said.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:49 AM   #1151
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Hey, why limit yourself? Do both.
My personal opinion

Second one first as it is the easiest

"Man is the sole contributor to current climate change as lionking claims?"

Well nothing.

Because it is a stupid statement.

No one can actually measure how much, no matter how little is natural. You can measure how fast changes are, by industrial age, or population, but to pretend you can measure nature is silly, even if the man bit is 99%, nature is still 1%

"That we have a crisis?"

Or some say. An emergency.

Obviously tougher.

Based on computer modeling.

Pretty open minded on it actually

I am purely skeptical and suspicious about it, but if someone came up with real evidence we only have 11 years, then I am willing to go with it.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:50 AM   #1152
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I see you have forgotten what you actually said.
Okay

Then why have I not listened to him from what I said
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:52 AM   #1153
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 44,721
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
My personal opinion

Second one first as it is the easiest

"Man is the sole contributor to current climate change as lionking claims?"

Well nothing.

Because it is a stupid statement.

No one can actually measure how much, no matter how little is natural. You can measure how fast changes are, by industrial age, or population, but to pretend you can measure nature is silly, even if the man bit is 99%, nature is still 1%

"That we have a crisis?"

Or some say. An emergency.

Obviously tougher.

Based on computer modeling.

Pretty open minded on it actually

I am purely skeptical and suspicious about it, but if someone came up with real evidence we only have 11 years, then I am willing to go with it.
Pathetic.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:52 AM   #1154
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 18,727
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
My personal opinion

Second one first as it is the easiest

"Man is the sole contributor to current climate change as lionking claims?"

Well nothing.

Because it is a stupid statement.

No one can actually measure how much, no matter how little is natural. You can measure how fast changes are, by industrial age, or population, but to pretend you can measure nature is silly, even if the man bit is 99%, nature is still 1%

"That we have a crisis?"

Or some say. An emergency.

Obviously tougher.

Based on computer modeling.

Pretty open minded on it actually

I am purely skeptical and suspicious about it, but if someone came up with real evidence we only have 11 years, then I am willing to go with it.
You didn't answer the question. We all think we actually have the evidence you describe above. You think it doesn't exist. We, therefore, are working to different standards.

What would convince you you were wrong and we were right? What piece of evidence is it that you need to see to believe what you're being told?


Because if you don't know the answer to that, it's hardly reasonable to expect anyone else to.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:59 AM   #1155
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
the Supertanker on a collision course analogy is apt: if you can see the iceberg with your own eyes, it is probably too late to avoid it.
The early we change course, the less radical the correction needs to be, the cheaper the effort and lesser the upset.

If we had started a global cap&trade 30 years ago, as had been suggested, normal economic forces would probably have kept greehouse gas emissions to a tolerable level.

But we've missed the window, and now we need dramatic change: not just carbon emission reduction, but active carbon capture. Not just cap and trade, but hefty carbon taxes.

Sorry to be annoying but this whole carbon credit trading thing is the other one that gets on my tits.

We had the launch of a carbon trading thing here.

Org's could trade credits off low carbon emitting orgs to off-set their emissions.

(obviously more complicated but can't be bothered with scenarios)

End result

Who knows who gets rich

Big emitters are still emitting the same amount. They just charge the customer more, while saying they emit less.



Loads of money tradin
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:02 AM   #1156
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
You didn't answer the question. We all think we actually have the evidence you describe above. You think it doesn't exist. We, therefore, are working to different standards.

What would convince you you were wrong and we were right? What piece of evidence is it that you need to see to believe what you're being told?


Because if you don't know the answer to that, it's hardly reasonable to expect anyone else to.
Fair call.

Do you mind posting this evidence of a climate emergency/CRISIS!!! not based on computer modeling?

Wouldn't mind reading it.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:04 AM   #1157
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 18,727
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Fair call.

Do you mind posting this evidence of a climate emergency/CRISIS!!! not based on computer modeling?

Wouldn't mind reading it.

Are you saying that you'll accept the realities of global warming if I can prove without using computer modelling?
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:07 AM   #1158
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 88,430
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Okay



Then why have I not listened to him from what I said
I find I have no obligation to help you remember what you have posted in the last 24 hours.

What you have shown is that your views on climate change did not come from listening to scientists and you have simply pulled them from your nether regions and that you are not even willing to listen to scientists about the issue.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:10 AM   #1159
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,449
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I find I have no obligation to help you remember what you have posted in the last 24 hours.

What you have shown is that your views on climate change did not come from listening to scientists and you have simply pulled them from your nether regions and that you are not even willing to listen to scientists about the issue.
You questioned why I would listen to someone who I didn't wholly agree with.

No big deal
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:12 AM   #1160
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10,247
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Sorry to be annoying but this whole carbon credit trading thing is the other one that gets on my tits.

We had the launch of a carbon trading thing here.

Org's could trade credits off low carbon emitting orgs to off-set their emissions.

(obviously more complicated but can't be bothered with scenarios)

End result

Who knows who gets rich

Big emitters are still emitting the same amount. They just charge the customer more, while saying they emit less.



Loads of money tradin
you are highlighting exactly the point I was making: that was no political will to do it right, so it wasn't done right.
The companies that failed to innovate because there wasn't any real pressure to do so might go belly-up now that they'll have to adjust much quicker.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.