ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th October 2019, 08:05 PM   #41
Thermal
Philosopher

We'll be finding out right pronto, I think. Bill Perkins as put up a reward of $100 large for the shooter.

Still taking bets that it was unrelated to the Guyger matter.

https://twitter.com/bp22/status/1180852606714945536

Last edited by Thermal; 6th October 2019 at 08:30 PM. Reason: BAC interference with proofreading
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 08:52 PM   #42
Venom
Illuminator

I bet it's unrelated as well.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 09:08 PM   #43
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

During the trial a reported for WAFF at the courthouse had reported that one of the witnesses received a death threat. The reporter would not say who got the death threat. I think that was the firs or second day of the defense witnesses.

I thought the tee shirt in court was weird. Especially one with cartoon characters. Worn by a 28 year old jock. I kept waiting for him or the prosecution to bring up something that made the shirt relevant to the case, like it was what he was wearing the day of the murder. But it never came up. Not that it really matters.

A connection to the Guyger trial would seem strange. He wasn't a key witness. The verdict certainly didn't hang on his testimony. He talked about the apartment manager coming to his and Jean's apartment about a noise complaint and he met Jean at that time and talked about smoking weed. He cried when he talked about hearing Jean sing Gospel in his apartment.

He was the prosecution's witness, but he was the only one who said he heard to voices talking over each other before the gun shots. But he didn't hear what was said. He was in the hallway; everybody else was in their apartment. He said he had parked on the wrong floor a few times and had even put his key into the wrong door.

His testimony was maybe more beneficial to the defense than the prosecution. But it was the prosecution who wanted him to testify. So I'm not sure whether someone who wanted to murder him for his testimony would actually be a person who was for or against a Guyger conviction.

He had only minor legal trouble. Misdemeanor theft in 2011 and controlled substance in 2016 (I assume marijuana).

His job struck me as strange. He was doing roofing. But now he was trying start his own business and was managing two AirBnb's in Los Angeles and one in Atlanta. I'm not sure how someone manages an Airbnb from halfway across the country.

If his murder is related to the Guyger trial, it seems like it would have to be somebody who was very confused about his role in the trial. It just wasn't that significant.
Old 6th October 2019, 09:27 PM   #44
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
A connection to the Guyger trial would seem strange. He wasn't a key witness. The verdict certainly didn't hang on his testimony.
The thing is that he was the closest witness to the incident. Gugyer had to conform her testimony to what he and others told authorities. Without those accounts, Guyger might have been able to spin a tale of multiple warnings, a struggle at the door, Jean reaching into the couch cushions "for a weapon," or almost anything. If he didn't get her convicted by himself, he sure helped.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 09:31 PM   #45
Bob001
Philosopher

His job struck me as strange. He was doing roofing. But now he was trying start his own business and was managing two AirBnb's in Los Angeles and one in Atlanta. I'm not sure how someone manages an Airbnb from halfway across the country.
Most of AirBnB is handled online. He can maintain the web listings, schedule "guests" and collect their money from anywhere, and a pay a local to clean the unit and deliver the keys. Sounds manageable.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 10:55 PM   #46
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Not sure what the big deal about the t-shirt is.

I wouldn't have worn it, but he was a witness, not on trial.

Maybe he just didn't care about the dead dude enough to worry about coming across with a better image of reliability to the jury.

Didn't change the outcome any way.

Obviously you average person would at least wore a shirt.

As the collar covers up the tat, which apparently from the thread, some Americans are a bit precious about.

I
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 01:06 AM   #47
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The thing is that he was the closest witness to the incident. Gugyer had to conform her testimony to what he and others told authorities. Without those accounts, Guyger might have been able to spin a tale of multiple warnings, a struggle at the door, Jean reaching into the couch cushions "for a weapon," or almost anything. If he didn't get her convicted by himself, he sure helped.
I don't think so. Guyger could have made up a bit about Jean reaching into the couch for a weapon with or without Brown's testimony. Or even a struggle at the door or multiple warnings. Brown only heard the what happened right before the shots. Guyger could have claimed anything happened before that.

The only thing Guyger could possibly have made up as a result of this testimony is that Jean said "Hey, hey, hey." I don't think Guyger was forced into any position of making things up to fit Brown's testimony or was substantially limited in what she could have made up without being in direct contradiction to Brown's testimony.

It did establish some limits to some degree. It was reasonable for the prosecution to call him as a witness. But his testimony was probably more beneficial to Guyger. It's sort of a toss up.

But he wasn't a key. And it's arguable which side he helped more. It would seem odd to go to the extent of murdering him over testimony that wasn't even clearly one-sided.
Old 7th October 2019, 01:22 AM   #48
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Most of AirBnB is handled online. He can maintain the web listings, schedule "guests" and collect their money from anywhere, and a pay a local to clean the unit and deliver the keys. Sounds manageable.
Maybe. I don't know much about it. It just seems odd to me to start out managing a few places that are thousands of miles away.

If someone puts a place on Airbnb, the renting of the place and so on is handled by Airbnb. If he isn't there and isn't handling the cleaning and isn't handling handing over key or checking people in or out, then what is he actually doing?

How can you make a livable salary managing three AirBrb places half way across the country where Airbnb handles the transactions and you don't actually do anything at the property?

With all the ways these young whippersnappers make ridiculous money on the Internets these day, I guess it is possible, but confound if I understand it.
Old 7th October 2019, 01:29 AM   #49
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Like any good CTist, I will adamantly cling to the shot in the mouth scenario til the detectives investigating this case grow old and die.
"Remember the Liberty!"

"It's impossible to make the shot from that angle"

"Steel beams can't melt Jet fuel"
Old 7th October 2019, 01:30 AM   #50
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Me either. I thought it was odd when I first watched the testimony, but not enough to mention it.

Maybe he just didn't care about the dead dude enough to worry about coming across with a better image of reliability to the jury.
He cried on the witness stand talking about Jean. I don't think he didn't care about the dead dude.

Probably not. I don't think anybody is making that claim.

In most testimonial appearances you average person wore a shirt at least for sure. Nonsense.

As the collar covers up the tat, which apparently from the thread, some Americans are a bit precious about.
That's wut them collars on them tee shirts is for; cuvring up neck tats. Nonsense.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 7th October 2019 at 01:43 AM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 01:34 AM   #51
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I've been struggling to understand that, too. Cultural difference, I guess. I'd wear a t-shirt to court, no matter what the occasion was.

They certainly are - should probably check out the ABs.

Quite funny to see people so concerned about appearance.
Old 7th October 2019, 02:12 AM   #52
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The tee shirt looks like it reads Dragon Ball Z. Wiki says Dragon Ball Z is an animated Japanese martial arts film series.
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
No, it says DragonBallZ, a cartoon franchise.
It does say Dragonball Z, which is an Anime TV Series for kids. While the main character, Goku, is a martial artist in a way, it's definitely not what would be considered a Martial Arts movie in the US because it is more a fantasy/sci fi type of thing.

The basics are that Goku (who is a mixture of Sun Wukong, from Journey to the West, and Superman) and his friends spend each story line saving the Earth from villains intent of destroying it, all while training to get more and more powerful so that they can defeated greater foes.

I wouldn't call it a franchise any more than any other Anime is, though it does have a lot of merchandising due to its popularity, mostly because it was one of the first major Animes to make it to America.

It's a bit sad to see that people don't know this. Next we'll have people asking what Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and Mighty Morphing Power Rangers are...

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 02:17 AM   #53
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It does say Dragonball Z, which is an Anime TV Series for kids. While the main character, Goku, is a martial artist in a way, it's definitely not what would be considered a Martial Arts movie in the US because it is more a fantasy/sci fi type of thing.

The basics are that Goku (who is a mixture of Sun Wukong, from Journey to the West, and Superman) and his friends spend each story line saving the Earth from villains intent of destroying it, all while training to get more and more powerful so that they can defeated greater foes.

I wouldn't call it a franchise any more than any other Anime is, though it does have a lot of merchandising due to its popularity, mostly because it was one of the first major Animes to make it to America.

It's a bit sad to see that people don't know this. Next we'll have people asking what Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and Mighty Morphing Power Rangers are...
Dangermouse and Penfold in partnership with Hong Kong Fooey would beat all of their ****** either one by one or simultaneously.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 04:37 AM   #54
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Until yesterday I didn't know that he wore a printed graphic t shirt on the witness stand at the trial. My reaction is to think that that is unconventional and disrespectful.
It's DBZ so it's ok.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 06:15 AM   #55
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I bet it's unrelated as well.
Me too.

But you never know.

We had a case here in the Netherlands where two teenage girls got killed weeks apart in a small farming community.

Police threw a ton of manpower at the case, thinking it was a serial killer.
Both cases were solved. One girl was killed by a middle aged man, the other by a classmate.

Reality is weird, people are weird.
Old 7th October 2019, 06:39 AM   #56
Thermal
Philosopher

I wouldn't have worn it, but he was a witness, not on trial.

I
T-shirt: This is a nationally televised high profile murder trial, with a grieving family relying on your testimony. The choice of a child's comic tee shows a flippancy to the proceedings. While he is only a witness, this is not a quick appearance at traffic court. This was a more somber affair.

Neck tats: thinking about the couple hundred or however many people I know in a line, neck tats are strongly clustered at one end of the sharpness spectrum, if you catch my drift. Pretty much every bumbling, drooling idiot I know has tattoos, now that I think of it. The docs, lawyers, engineers, financiers, and successful entrepreneurs have a noticeable lack of ink. While it's not a slam-dunk proof via correlation, it's enough of an indicator to make some provisional assumptions.

That's the fun of these discussion threads, isn't it? We never have enough info to actually decide anything. Every thread should have as its first and only post 'Insufficient data for a meaningful conclusion'. But we deduce, and infer, and roll with it, then see how our extrapolations held water.

For instance, Brown was a college graduate and an entrepreneur. Sounds great, right? But his major was 'interdisciplinary sciences'. To me, that means no major/general studies. In terms of being a football player, it means he took Intro to Basket Weaving while he went to practice.

An Achilles tear ends his football career in school. So he becomes a roofer. Not exactly a line of work requiring a Bachelor of Science degree. Odd career choice, considering what roofers do to their ankles, but ok. Now he manages AirBnBs. That means he does nothing but makes a few phone calls and collects money. Common low-dollar hustle where I live (beach resort town). So I'm seeing an athlete with that career cut short, who is now hustling to make an honest living, as opposed to an educated entrepreneur.

Brown cried during testimony, and he had only met Jean that morning. I'm again provisionally guessing that his tears were guilty ones, because he was now fully aware that he peeped at Guyger through the peephole while Jean lay dying unattended. I think this indicates that he was remorseful for not having acted when he should.

But does any of this indicate he was 'whacked' by the police or others? No. Nothing indicates that, except for the coincidental timing. But the execution would serve no ends. His testimony amounted to nothing she hadn't been saying all along. He was just as much a supporting witness for the defense. For all the playing up about how Joshua Brown was a 'key' witness, he brought nothing to the table. Certainly nothing to incite a retaliatory execution. So I still have money on the table for 'unrelated foolishness' as the reason for his murder.
Old 7th October 2019, 06:55 AM   #57
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Neck tats: thinking about the couple hundred or however many people I know in a line, neck tats are strongly clustered at one end of the sharpness spectrum, if you catch my drift. Pretty much every bumbling, drooling idiot I know has tattoos, now that I think of it. The docs, lawyers, engineers, financiers, and successful entrepreneurs have a noticeable lack of ink. While it's not a slam-dunk proof via correlation, it's enough of an indicator to make some provisional assumptions.
Quote:
That's odd - as an engineer, I know quite a few engineers and professional programmers with various tattoos, piercings, and so forth - particularly among younger engineers and ex-military folks.But does any of this indicate he was 'whacked' by the police or others? No. Nothing indicates that, except for the coincidental timing. But the execution would serve no ends. His testimony amounted to nothing she hadn't been saying all along. He was just as much a supporting witness for the defense. For all the playing up about how Joshua Brown was a 'key' witness, he brought nothing to the table. Certainly nothing to incite a retaliatory execution. So I still have money on the table for 'unrelated foolishness' as the reason for his murder.
And after all, it's not like any other witness were the victim of out-of-hand retaliation of one type or another...

We've seen this again and again - the guy that recorded Eric Garner being choked, an entire neighborhood in Ferguson, high school kids on the day of Freddie Gray's funeral, even absurd lawsuits against BLM or Deray McKesson. Getting cops in trouble has repeatedly resulted in police and allies retaliating against people who organize, who merely record what's going on directly in front of them, or sometimes are merely in the general area, going about their business. It happens, it's worth looking into in this case.

Last edited by Mumbles; 7th October 2019 at 07:00 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 07:15 AM   #58
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
And after all, it's not like any other witness were the victim of out-of-hand retaliation of one type or another...

We've seen this again and again - the guy that recorded Eric Garner being choked, an entire neighborhood in Ferguson, high school kids on the day of Freddie Gray's funeral, even absurd lawsuits against BLM or Deray McKesson. Getting cops in trouble has repeatedly resulted in police and allies retaliating against people who organize, who merely record what's going on directly in front of them, or sometimes are merely in the general area, going about their business. It happens, it's worth looking into in this case.
Agreed that some astute and accomplished people will get inked, no question. My observation is regarding how many, versus how many at the less astute end of the spectrum. I may have a bias, as I think people getting tatted don't seem to think they might ever change, and not want this particular decoration anymore. Such short-sightedness does not normally correlate with the brighter bulbs, IME.

Bunny says she was fired resulting from the trial. Ok, I'll provisionally buy that. Employers don't like negative attention, warranted or not. It's not fair, certainly, but some degree of that comes with any high-profile involvement. Somebody, somewhere, is gonna hate you, and your boss doesn't want the grief.

And agreed, the possibility of a police hit has to be looked into, and intensely. But really, Joshua Brown gave nothing Guyger didn't willingly give all along. His testimony supported her recounting, which was rightly found to be murder. Who would want to kill him? Cops? Why? Set him up in a month to go down hard on a trumped-up charge. Bad cops are good at that.
Old 7th October 2019, 07:22 AM   #59
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

So we suspect the fashion police?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 08:00 AM   #60
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

And agreed, the possibility of a police hit has to be looked into, and intensely. But really, Joshua Brown gave nothing Guyger didn't willingly give all along. His testimony supported her recounting, which was rightly found to be murder. Who would want to kill him? Cops? Why? Set him up in a month to go down hard on a trumped-up charge. Bad cops are good at that.
The mere fact that he testified for for the prosecution against a (former) police officer could easily be enough for bad cops to use as an example or warning to others. The lack of effect of his testimony is really beside the point. The issue is that there was testimony at all.

The fact that this could be the motive of the shooters, it is perhaps more likely it isn't. Hopefully we'll find out in the fullness of time.
Old 7th October 2019, 08:33 AM   #61
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

This guy survived a shooting just last year. He and his family suspect he has an enemy from childhood.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/07/us/jo...now/index.html

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 08:35 AM   #62
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
This guy survived a shooting just last year. He and his family suspect he has an enemy from childhood.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/07/us/jo...now/index.html
The cops have been trying to get him for years. Guyger was supposed to be at his apartment that night, not Jean's.

Obviously the sexts were coded messages between her and her handler, about the status of the hit.

Last edited by theprestige; 7th October 2019 at 08:36 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 08:41 AM   #63
Thermal
Philosopher

So Brown had an old murderous rival who shot and killed his buddy but missed Brown at a strip club last year, and Brown lived in fear of him coming back to finish the job since?

Come on CT guys, hurry up, my betting window is still open.
Old 7th October 2019, 08:54 AM   #64
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Maybe. I don't know much about it. It just seems odd to me to start out managing a few places that are thousands of miles away.

If someone puts a place on Airbnb, the renting of the place and so on is handled by Airbnb. If he isn't there and isn't handling the cleaning and isn't handling handing over key or checking people in or out, then what is he actually doing?
Owning it, like a landlord. He would be managing the cleaning services as well.
Quote:
How can you make a livable salary managing three AirBrb places half way across the country where Airbnb handles the transactions and you don't actually do anything at the property?
Pretty easy, though sometimes somewhat illegally. If you get the APT for say $2000 a month, and can rent it for $150 a night it is pretty easy to turn a profit, though this often would run counter to local laws, and you can pass along the cleaning fee. AirBNB does not actually care if the places being rented are being rented legally though.
Quote:
With all the ways these young whippersnappers make ridiculous money on the Internets these day, I guess it is possible, but confound if I understand it.
Short term rentals are often vastly more profitable than long term. This drives the rents up nicely for owners.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 09:36 AM   #65
Bob001
Philosopher

Brown cried during testimony, and he had only met Jean that morning. I'm again provisionally guessing that his tears were guilty ones, because he was now fully aware that he peeped at Guyger through the peephole while Jean lay dying unattended. I think this indicates that he was remorseful for not having acted when he should.

I dunno about that. He knows the person who shot Jean is a cop who is still prowling around outside in an agitated state. Not many people would run out to say "Get outta my way, psychokiller! I'm gonna save this guy!"

It's more likely, as some have speculated, that as young black man he identified with Jean. "That coulda been me!" might have been more than enough to inspire tears.
Old 7th October 2019, 09:49 AM   #66
Thermal
Philosopher

I dunno about that. He knows the person who shot Jean is a cop who is still prowling around outside in an agitated state. Not many people would run out to say "Get outta my way, psychokiller! I'm gonna save this guy!"
I would hope some would, not assuming an actual psycho cop just yet, but just an emergency situation where you might help.

Quote:
It's more likely, as some have speculated, that as young black man he identified with Jean. "That coulda been me!" might have been more than enough to inspire tears.
Yeah, that's a good point. But would Brown have any reason to think any of this yet? At the time, he heard some voices, and two shots. Then he looked at the peeper and saw her pacing and using the phone. The whole event would not have been clear to him yet, even that Jean had been fatally shot. That would only have been pieced together later.
Old 7th October 2019, 10:01 AM   #67
Bob001
Philosopher

Yeah, that's a good point. But would Brown have any reason to think any of this yet?
I was thinking of his tears on the stand. By then, he could certainly have imagined himself in Jean's position.
Old 7th October 2019, 10:07 AM   #68
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The cops have been trying to get him for years. Guyger was supposed to be at his apartment that night, not Jean's.

Obviously the sexts were coded messages between her and her handler, about the status of the hit.
Be careful you know not what you may start!
Old 7th October 2019, 01:37 PM   #69
Thermal
Philosopher

I was thinking of his tears on the stand. By then, he could certainly have imagined himself in Jean's position.
Agreed, especially if being shot was already on his mind

Last edited by Thermal; 7th October 2019 at 01:39 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 12:58 AM   #70
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

He was the prosecution's witness, but he was the only one who said he heard to voices talking over each other before the gun shots. But he didn't hear what was said. He was in the hallway; everybody else was in their apartment. He said he had parked on the wrong floor a few times and had even put his key into the wrong door.

His testimony was maybe more beneficial to the defense than the prosecution. But it was the prosecution who wanted him to testify. So I'm not sure whether someone who wanted to murder him for his testimony would actually be a person who was for or against a Guyger conviction.
To date, there's no evidence Brown's killing is connected to the Guyger trial, his part in that proceeding so far noteworthy only in its proximity in time and helping to establish identity for the reader. But as long as we're speculating, I think your analysis here is off-base. The first four words of yours that I have quoted are fully sufficient to mark him as a valid target for a revenge killing: he was a witness who agreed to testify for the prosecution of a cop. If the idea is to terrorize potential future witnesses in cases against cops and dissuade them from cooperating with investigators at all, the efficacy of the victim's specific testimony is rather beside the point.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:34 AM   #71
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
… If the idea is to terrorize potential future witnesses in cases against cops and dissuade them from cooperating with investigators at all, the efficacy of the victim's specific testimony is rather beside the point.
Well, I just don't see it. If one imagined corrupt cops to be some kind of coherent organisation which acted with an overall plan to protect itself then maybe you could see the cop equivalent of Dr Evil ordering this witness to be made an example. But in reality it would have to come down to one or at most a few local individuals conspiring to take a big risk upon themselves to murder the man for the imagined future benefit of all corrupt-cop-kind.

You might write an enticing Strangers on a Train style movie plot about a killer cop travelling from out of state to shoot this witness to prevent someone testifying at a different trial elsewhere but really, no. Surely he was shot for a reason that was specific to this victim and not a general view that nobody should testify at a cop's trial.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:39 AM   #72
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Amber Guyger to serve sentence at Mountain View, a maximum security women's prison about 90 miles north of Austin, TX. The all female facility spans 94 acres, houses app 645 inmates, among them the state's female death row inmates, although the actual executions are not carried out there.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/08/us/am...son/index.html

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 8th October 2019 at 07:41 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:39 AM   #73
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Well, I just don't see it. If one imagined corrupt cops to be some kind of coherent organisation which acted with an overall plan to protect itself then maybe you could see the cop equivalent of Dr Evil ordering this witness to be made an example. But in reality it would have to come down to one or at most a few local individuals conspiring to take a big risk upon themselves to murder the man for the imagined future benefit of all corrupt-cop-kind.

You might write an enticing Strangers on a Train style movie plot about a killer cop travelling from out of state to shoot this witness to prevent someone testifying at a different trial elsewhere but really, no. Surely he was shot for a reason that was specific to this victim and not a general view that nobody should testify at a cop's trial.
Yeah, cops extra judiciously executing witnesses is not really a thing, so much as a B-movie plot. People testify against police all the time. There are not normally a pile of body bags after the conviction.
Old 8th October 2019, 08:31 AM   #74
Thermal
Philosopher

Hey, this is interesting. NY Post and others report that Brown lit off to California to duck testifying at the trial. He only came back after being threatened with arrest. He claimed that public testimony would alert 'these people' (note the pluralizing) who still meant to do him harm.

So he apparently didn't just piss off a childhood rival. Seems that he pissed of a group that lives under the radar and who hold a serious grudge. Sounds like maybe he was into some extremely bad **** with some extremely bad dudes.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/08/joshua...r-guyger-case/
Old 8th October 2019, 08:38 AM   #75
Joe Random
Master Poster

<..> Sounds like maybe he was into some extremely bad **** with some extremely bad dudes.

He was the key figure in an international pirated Dragonball Z merch ring. If only he'd had better sartorial sense come the day of his testimony.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 09:25 AM   #76
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Well, I just don't see it. If one imagined corrupt cops to be some kind of coherent organisation which acted with an overall plan to protect itself
Their called police unions.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 09:32 AM   #77
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
He was the key figure in an international pirated Dragonball Z merch ring. If only he'd had better sartorial sense come the day of his testimony.
Nah, I'm going full-on Sherlock here and deducing that the otherwise inexplicable DragonballZ shirt was a clever clue to the assassins' identity. Goku did it.
Old 8th October 2019, 09:53 AM   #78
chrispy
Muse

The whole shirt and tats thing is weird to me. Where I'm from everybody has serious ink. Lawyers, politicians, teachers are all inked. White, black, latino...all inked. I'm heavily inked, too and have showed up to court in a hoodie that doesn't come close to covering all my art. Just kind of a weird line of comments on this one trivial subject.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 10:15 AM   #79
Mumbles
Philosopher

Yeah, cops extra judiciously executing witnesses is not really a thing, so much as a B-movie plot. People testify against police all the time. There are not normally a pile of body bags after the conviction.
Cops going on trial at all is very rare - and being found guilty rarer still, even when things are fairly obvious (see: Philando Castile, John Crawford III, Eric Garner. And as I've already said, reprisals against witnesses, and sometimes entire communities, are rather common (Ferguson, Baltimore, NYC, Baton Rouge have all seen entire police forces run roughshod over civilian rights recent years).

Which is one reason I said I'd prefer an independent investigation. Normally I'd suggest the federal government get involved, but given Dolt 45's hatred of black people, and fondness of police violence against them (us), that won't happen - so possibly state police would be best.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 10:17 AM   #80
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
The whole shirt and tats thing is weird to me. Where I'm from everybody has serious ink. Lawyers, politicians, teachers are all inked. White, black, latino...all inked. I'm heavily inked, too and have showed up to court in a hoodie that doesn't come close to covering all my art. Just kind of a weird line of comments on this one trivial subject.
As a reference: you see anyone else at the murder trial with tats and Ts? Not normal in a high profile murder trial. The judge was not wearing My Little Pony robes, for instance. Merritt didn't sport a Sailor Moon cap.

Actually, the ink thing may not be fair. Ink has been cross-culturally common for years; suburban mommys get tattoos now. But the silliest characters I know have lots, and the sharpest have none, at least visible. My issue is more with a bright kiddie comic T in a freaking murder trial, where this guy is supposedly trying to keep a low profile. He's dressed like a 12 year old on a playground. Maybe he wears nothing else. Never a button down or polo. Maybe he had no other clean clothes than these or his Brony swag. Possible, I guess.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events