ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags boycott incidents , Chick-fil-A , UK incidents

Old 19th October 2019, 01:56 AM   #1
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Boycott dooms first UK Chick-fil-A

BBC News: Reading Chick-fil-A outlet to close in LGBT rights row

"A US fast-food chain will cease trading at its first UK outlet amid a row over donations to anti-LGBT groups.

Gay rights campaigners called for a boycott of Chick-fil-A, which opened its first branch at The Oracle shopping centre [mall] in Reading on 10 October.

A spokeswoman for the centre said "the right thing to do" was to not extend the restaurant's lease beyond the "six-month pilot period".

Chick-fil-A said its donations were purely focused on youth and education.

The family-owned company, founded in Atlanta in 1967, is one of the biggest fast-food chains in the USA and boasts about 2,400 outlets across North America.

According to US news website Think Progress, in 2017 the Chick-fil-A Foundation donated millions of dollars to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, the Paul Anderson Youth Home and the Salvation Army.

Campaigners from LGBT organisation, Reading Pride, said all three organisations have a reputation of being hostile to LGBT rights.

In 2012, the company's chairman sparked a US boycott when he said he opposed gay marriage."
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 02:09 AM   #2
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

That's just up the road from me, I wish I'd known so I could have not bought from them deliberately rather than unknowingly. As a country we don't have much to be proud of right now but let's give ourselves this one.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 02:39 AM   #3
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I suspect it will only have been a temporary site anyway. Prior to this one they had the vegan fast food one which was also marketing research rather than a full blown viable business.
Old 19th October 2019, 02:57 AM   #4
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
A US fast-food chain will cease trading at its first UK outlet amid a row over donations to anti-LGBT groups.
(...)

Which anti-LGBT groups do they donate to?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 03:17 AM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Which anti-LGBT groups do they donate to?
This seems to be the origins of the current claims

https://thinkprogress.org/chick-fil-...-62ca15281f17/
Old 19th October 2019, 05:40 AM   #6
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Damn, thought that Sir Geoffrey was involved
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 05:57 AM   #7
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Well, the real problem was when Chick-fil-A put up no-smoking signs that said "No fags on premises" and when, in regard to their menu, they also announced that "We do not serve faggots!"
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will

Last edited by shemp; 19th October 2019 at 05:59 AM.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 07:34 AM   #8
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I suspect it will only have been a temporary site anyway. Prior to this one they had the vegan fast food one which was also marketing research rather than a full blown viable business.
Well, possibly; the vegan burger place was testing marketing the product itself, before selling the burgers through supermarkets. I guess Chick-Fil-A (I have a real problem with that name*) could have been finding out how their products went down in the UK. Now they know.

Local news report on the situation.

*First, I want to pronounce it 'chick filer'; second, it doesn't work if pronounced as intended, since we say 'fillet' not 'fill-ay' in the UK; third, I'd never say chick fillet anyway.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 19th October 2019 at 07:40 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 08:07 AM   #9
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

And you just know the locals will have been pronouncing it "Chick Filler." Doomed from the start!
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 10:03 AM   #10
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
BBC News: Reading Chick-fil-A outlet to close in LGBT rights row

"A US fast-food chain will cease trading at its first UK outlet amid a row over donations to anti-LGBT groups.

Gay rights campaigners called for a boycott of Chick-fil-A, which opened its first branch at The Oracle shopping centre [mall] in Reading on 10 October.

A spokeswoman for the centre said "the right thing to do" was to not extend the restaurant's lease beyond the "six-month pilot period".

The family-owned company, founded in Atlanta in 1967, is one of the biggest fast-food chains in the USA and boasts about 2,400 outlets across North America.

According to US news website Think Progress, in 2017 the Chick-fil-A Foundation donated millions of dollars to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, the Paul Anderson Youth Home and the Salvation Army.

Campaigners from LGBT organisation, Reading Pride, said all three organisations have a reputation of being hostile to LGBT rights.

In 2012, the company's chairman sparked a US boycott when he said he opposed gay marriage."
The franchise was started by a fundamentalist Christian. I'm surprised the UK fundys allowed this to happen. I don't believe n God either and I believe gay fellow citizens have the right to be happy in a marriage. Having said that I still et at chik-filet because I like the food served there. The owner has the right to feel the way he does. It's in our Constitution.
Old 19th October 2019, 10:49 AM   #11
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
The franchise was started by a fundamentalist Christian. I'm surprised the UK fundys allowed this to happen. I don't believe n God either and I believe gay fellow citizens have the right to be happy in a marriage. Having said that I still et at chik-filet because I like the food served there. The owner has the right to feel the way he does. It's in our Constitution.
Which has absolute zero to do with a business operating in England.
Old 19th October 2019, 10:52 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Turns out the first CFA is doing fine, and not at all affected by this boycott.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 11:00 AM   #13
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Which has absolute zero to do with a business operating in England.
You do have similar freedom of religion or speech in the UK though.
Old 19th October 2019, 11:05 AM   #14
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

You do have similar freedom of religion or speech in the UK though.
The UK has stricter anti-discrimination and anti hate speech laws than the United States so it may very well be that some of the organisations supported by CFA might be censured under UK law.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 11:20 AM   #15
dann
Philosopher

This seems to be the origins of the current claims
https://thinkprogress.org/chick-fil-...-62ca15281f17/

The franchise was started by a fundamentalist Christian.

That sounds bad enough to make me consider eating at Los Pollos Hermanos from now on.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 12:13 PM   #16
Myriad
Hyperthetical

In the continental U.S., you can always get your chicken at PopeYes instead.

Although, for some reason I've always had the impression they support the Vatican stance on social issues.
Old 19th October 2019, 12:25 PM   #17
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

That sounds bad enough to make me consider eating at Los Pollos Hermanos from now on.
If I'm in The Oracle I like Mission Burritos

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 12:40 PM   #18
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

The Salvation Army is now evil?

Sorry. Will keep donating to them while they keep rocking up to our junior rugby games for free.

Have no idea about the 2 other groups, but presume the anti gay thing is just as tenuous
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 12:58 PM   #19
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Did a google of the "Fellowship of Christian Athletes"

Understand

Bye bye chick whatever. Don't let the door hit you on the way out idiots

https://www.outsports.com/2019/1/7/1...letes-gay-lgbt
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 01:18 PM   #20
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
The Salvation Army is now evil?

Sorry. Will keep donating to them while they keep rocking up to our junior rugby games for free.

Have no idea about the 2 other groups, but presume the anti gay thing is just as tenuous
They do appear to have reformed their ways a tad but still pretty much a cult.
Old 19th October 2019, 01:21 PM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

They do appear to have reformed their ways a tad but still pretty much a cult.
I believe the SA was involved in some of the less savory style of missionary work in Africa a while back, no idea if they're still up to that.
Old 19th October 2019, 04:40 PM   #22
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Turns out the first CFA is doing fine, and not at all affected by this boycott.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 05:47 PM   #23
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

It seems that Los Pollos Hermanos was taken over by Twisters after Gus Fring's criminal enterprise was discovered.

Twisters, btw, is the real-life restaurant chain whose restaurant was disguised and used in the Breaking Bad television series. The exterior of the same Albuquerque restaurant building was briefly shown in the recent El Camino movie with its real name.

It seems they are known for their burritos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisters

https://www.mytwisters.com/
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 05:54 PM   #24
mgidm86
Philosopher

Do people here research every company they do business with?

Ever buy anything made in China? Then there's a good chance you "support" slavery, including children, and many other human rights abuses.

Oh you don't ask? You just won't go to this restaurant because you happen to know where they donate their money because it was in the news. The other businesses - well you just don't have time to look them all up.

I guess it isn't actually that important to you is it? It's only important when other people know too and they see you go in.

The guy that owns the bar, the woman who runs the liquor store, the guy who fixes your call, all upstanding citizens who think just like you do, right?

No, you just don't ask. You didn't ask at Chik-Fil-A either. You were told by CNN.

Nobody is perfect (agrees with everything you think). But like any good religious follower you will pick and choose what really matters to you and ignore whatever would make your life too inconvenient.

What if you're in a strange town and hungry? Are you going to ask around and find out what restaurants support which causes? You should if you care so much.

Who here likes In-N-Out burger (not me)? Ever see those religious phrases printed on the bottom of their cups?

Better run! Someone might see you go in, which is what you really care about. It's okay because In-N-Out may not like you either if they knew more about you.

My point: I just think people are silly and too full of themselves.

Last edited by mgidm86; 19th October 2019 at 05:56 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 06:09 PM   #25
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Ever buy anything made in China? Then there's a good chance you "support" slavery, including children, and many other human rights abuses.

Oh you don't ask? You just won't go to this restaurant because you happen to know where they donate their money because it was in the news. The other businesses - well you just don't have time to look them all up.

I guess it isn't actually that important to you is it? It's only important when other people know too and they see you go in.

The guy that owns the bar, the woman who runs the liquor store, the guy who fixes your call, all upstanding citizens who think just like you do, right?

No, you just don't ask. You didn't ask at Chik-Fil-A either. You were told by CNN.

Nobody is perfect (agrees with everything you think). But like any good religious follower you will pick and choose what really matters to you and ignore whatever would make your life too inconvenient.

What if you're in a strange town and hungry? Are you going to ask around and find out what restaurants support which causes? You should if you care so much.

Who here likes In-N-Out burger (not me)? Ever see those religious phrases printed on the bottom of their cups?

Better run! Someone might see you go in, which is what you really care about. It's okay because In-N-Out may not like you either if they knew more about you.

Never heard of them.

But looking at their site I wouldn't go there if we had them as (pardon the conceit) I make the best beef burgers known to man and they don't do anything else.

I only buy chicken burgers or other varieties as I don't want to be disappointed.

Personally would probably try this chick a thingee, if it was good, donations or not.

We just don't have them either, so don't care if they got forced out.

Which seems a bit dodgy anyway as an excuse to close.

More likely just weren't making money.

Old 19th October 2019, 06:39 PM   #26
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Actually I wouldn't go there looking at it

They do this

Where KFC do this

Old 19th October 2019, 06:45 PM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

CfA chicken sandwiches are actually pretty good, for fast food. But they're not as good in chicken as other chains like Cane's and Zaxby's, so they're not the be-all and end-all of things chicken.

As far as their anti-gay tendencies those appear to be confined to the charitable foundation's choice of donor partners rather than the restaurant business itself. CfA hires openly gay staff. The only thing obviously wacky-religious about the restaurant side of things is being closed on Sunday, which is hardly a terrible thing.
Old 19th October 2019, 06:48 PM   #28
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The only thing obviously wacky-religious about the restaurant side of things is being closed on Sunday, which is hardly a terrible thing.
Speak for yourself. There's no particular day of the week I can't be both hungry and too lazy to cook.
Old 19th October 2019, 07:00 PM   #29
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Speak for yourself. There's no particular day of the week I can't be both hungry and too lazy to cook.
I'm a bit the opposite

Some people's way to chill is gardening, building, working on an old car, sewing, reading (Bit me as well tbf)

My main one is cooking wild and wacky things every Sunday.

My wife and I have the domestic duties the non perceived traditional way round.

I do all the cooking during the week watching pots, she gets to slog her **** off in the garden (which she enjoys)

Old 19th October 2019, 07:56 PM   #30
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Actually I wouldn't go there looking at it

They do this

Where KFC do this

Items shown in pictures may be smaller in reality.....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 11:04 PM   #31
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
CfA chicken sandwiches are actually pretty good, for fast food. But they're not as good in chicken as other chains like Cane's and Zaxby's, so they're not the be-all and end-all of things chicken.

As far as their anti-gay tendencies those appear to be confined to the charitable foundation's choice of donor partners rather than the restaurant business itself. CfA hires openly gay staff. The only thing obviously wacky-religious about the restaurant side of things is being closed on Sunday, which is hardly a terrible thing.
You are teasing me into salivation with these things of beauty I cannot have

Old 19th October 2019, 11:06 PM   #32
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

My god

I would divorce the wife for Zaxbys

Last edited by cullennz; 19th October 2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 19th October 2019, 11:23 PM   #33
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

You can't judge food by looks! Not even actual looks, much less staged photos.
Old 19th October 2019, 11:45 PM   #34
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The ones you see in the ads are going to look much better than what you actually get at the store. With fast food anyway.
Old 20th October 2019, 12:17 AM   #35
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Items shown in pictures may be smaller in reality.....
Or not resemble reality at all.
https://m.ranker.com/list/fast-food-...s/ashley-reign
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 12:35 AM   #36
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Lol

Food photographers are amazing really.

Lighting, pins, spray on oil, paint and other things.

Would not want to eat anything they have taken a photo of.

Old 20th October 2019, 02:53 AM   #37
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Well, possibly; the vegan burger place was testing marketing the product itself, before selling the burgers through supermarkets. I guess Chick-Fil-A (I have a real problem with that name*) could have been finding out how their products went down in the UK. Now they know.

Local news report on the situation.

*First, I want to pronounce it 'chick filer'; second, it doesn't work if pronounced as intended, since we say 'fillet' not 'fill-ay' in the UK; third, I'd never say chick fillet anyway.
And me.

Having never heard of it, my first attempt was to pronounce it as three seperate words, with a short "a" sound.

Chick... Fill... Ah...
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 03:02 AM   #38
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

One of the worst takes ever on this site. You aren't perfect so therefore you shouldn't even try to do anything is just a ridiculous standpoint.

Plus if a company is so prominent with their horrendous views that the media take notice and you still patronise them that is a whole different level of wrong to simply not being aware of wrongdoings.

That's the whole bloody point of the media. To raise awareness of these things so people can make informed choices.

Mind you in this case I don't know what publicity was carried out locally, but I was completely unaware there even was a Chick-Fil-A in the UK so its possible that the failure was unconnected to the boycott but simply because people didn't know who the hell they are and/or didn't like their food.
Old 20th October 2019, 03:49 AM   #39
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
It seems that Los Pollos Hermanos was taken over by Twisters after Gus Fring's criminal enterprise was discovered.

Twisters, btw, is the real-life restaurant chain whose restaurant was disguised and used in the Breaking Bad television series. The exterior of the same Albuquerque restaurant building was briefly shown in the recent El Camino movie with its real name.

It seems they are known for their burritos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisters

https://www.mytwisters.com/

The Twisters logo is very boring. I always thought that the 'Pollos' logo looked very gay.
I wonder if it was inspired by Disney's three gay caballeros:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 20th October 2019, 03:52 AM   #40
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
One of the worst takes ever on this site. You aren't perfect so therefore you shouldn't even try to do anything is just a ridiculous standpoint.

Plus if a company is so prominent with their horrendous views that the media take notice and you still patronise them that is a whole different level of wrong to simply not being aware of wrongdoings.

That's the whole bloody point of the media. To raise awareness of these things so people can make informed choices.

Mind you in this case I don't know what publicity was carried out locally, but I was completely unaware there even was a Chick-Fil-A in the UK so its possible that the failure was unconnected to the boycott but simply because people didn't know who the hell they are and/or didn't like their food.
100% this!

I choose to eat only free range eggs, chicken and bacon.

Why? Well its not because I think they taste any better - its because I do not wish to support those producers who cruelly cage their animals in spaces so confined that the animals are hardly able to move. I could not, with a clear conscience, buy a dozen eggs from a company that runs battery egg farms.

Oh, and before someone brings it up, yes, I know there are other distasteful things about the poultry industry (even in the free range one) such as the way the male chicks are disposed of.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events