ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 6th November 2019, 12:31 AM   #1281
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
How do you say “Trump uber alles” in Russian?
I know this is late, but how about "Дональд Иван Грожний"?
Old 6th November 2019, 12:35 AM   #1282
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Zelensky said that he doesn't want to get involved in US elections - and Trump and his posse pressured him to do exactly that.
Old 6th November 2019, 02:09 AM   #1283
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Sondaland has changed his testimony, now says that he told a Ukrainian official that military aid was dependent on them publicly announcing an investigation into Biden

[Edit]I see this has already been posted, but it got lost in the noise when I looked for it. Can't hurt to post it again.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 6th November 2019 at 02:15 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 02:14 AM   #1284
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
What kind of messed up ******** is that? You can just go back and say, "Sorry, I was jk lol. There actually was a quid pro quo" without any circumstances. I hope this ******* stubs his toe every day for a week.
He claims that hearing other testimony has refreshed his memory.
Old 6th November 2019, 02:21 AM   #1285
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Which gives President Trump, his Administration, his supporters and the whole of the GOP the opportunity to discount Sondaland's testimony on the grounds that he's clearly a liar, either in his first submission, his second submission or both
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 03:04 AM   #1286
Belz...
Fiend God

What kind of messed up ******** is that? You can just go back and say, "Sorry, I was jk lol. There actually was a quid pro quo" without any circumstances. I hope this ******* stubs his toe every day for a week.
Consequences?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 03:11 AM   #1287
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Don't you ever get tired of Trump lying to you?
Not as long as it pisses off the libtards, I'd guess.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 06:34 AM   #1288
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Remember when it was all about denying quid-pro-quo? Now the Trumpublicans are saying that the quid-pro-quo wasn't illegal or wrong. I have to wonder if anyone, but Trumpublicans, give any credibility to anything that the Trumpublicans say anymore.
1.) We didn't do it! What rubbish, it's all a made up lie. There's no reason to think we did it
2.) OK, I can see why you think we did it, but we didn't.
3.) OK, we did SOMETHING, but it was something different.
4): We didn't do it, and even if we did, it's not wrong
5.) Ok we did it, but there's nothing wrong with it. <--- WE ARE HERE
6.) OK, we did it, and there's something wrong with it, but everybody does it, so why are you picking on me?
7.) OK we did it and nobody else does it, but I'm in charge so I can do what I want. Shut up about it.

ETA: I missed a step

Last edited by bonzombiekitty; 6th November 2019 at 06:55 AM.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 06:51 AM   #1289
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
1.) We didn't do it! What rubbish, it's all a made up lie. There's no reason to think we did it
2.) OK, I can see why you think we did it, but we didn't.
3.) OK, we did SOMETHING, but it was something different.
4.) Ok we did it, but there's nothing wrong with it. <--- WE ARE HERE
5.) OK, we did it, and there's something wrong with it, but everybody does it, so why are you picking on me?
6.) OK we did it and nobody else does it, but I'm in charge so I can do what I want. Shut up about it.
There should be a step just before 4): We didn't do it, and even if we did, it's not wrong. Which usually indicates that they both did it, and it's wrong.

Old 6th November 2019, 06:55 AM   #1290
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
There should be a step just before 4): We didn't do it, and even if we did, it's not wrong. Which usually indicates that they both did it, and it's wrong.
You are correct. I have edited it.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:15 AM   #1291
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

"Refreshed" as in, "Oh, hell. I'd better see if I can head off the perjury charges.".

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:19 AM   #1292
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I find it funny that Trumpsters don't realize that when he said "I could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Ave. and not lose any supporters" he was insulting them.
I've been saying for a while now that to understand Trump and the Trumpers you have to understand how Trump could stand on stage in Iowa during the campaign, utter the phrase "How stupid are the people of Iowa?" and then win Iowa in a landslide.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:21 AM   #1293
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've been saying for a while now that to understand Trump and the Trumpers you have to understand how Trump could stand on stage in Iowa during the campaign, utter the phrase "How stupid are the people of Iowa?" and then win Iowa in a landslide.
It sure seems to put the lie to the idea that the Libruls' condescension is the reason why people voted for Trump.

Old 6th November 2019, 08:29 AM   #1294
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It sure seems to put the lie to the idea that the Libruls' condescension is the reason why people voted for Trump.
No it just means Trump is one of those people who can stand in front of a group of 10 people, all of whom he means to cheat, and say (either explicitly or implicitly) "Hey I'm going to cheat 9 of you and reward 1 of you" and somehow get all 10 people very clearly hear that they are 1 person who's going to get rewarded.

Trump has that "When I'm in front of Group X and say 'Lookit how stupid Group X is' I can somehow make everyone hear 'But not you *wink wink* the other members of Group X.'" It's weird.

That's the problem with Trumpers. All of them think they are either above or in on the joke. They are like the people who think they are the ones going to win in Vegas because they have 'system' or the ones who are actually going to make money on an MLM.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th November 2019 at 08:48 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:41 AM   #1295
Belz...
Fiend God

That's the problem with Trumpers. All of them think they are either above or in on the joke. They are like the people who think they are the ones going to win in Vegas because they have 'system' or the ones who are actually going to make money on an MLM.
Hum...

Yeah, I guess some humans are like that, and Trump is harnessing that.

Old 6th November 2019, 08:41 AM   #1296
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Delete

Last edited by acbytesla; 6th November 2019 at 08:44 AM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:52 AM   #1297
Armitage72
Illuminator

No it just means Trump is one of those people who can stand in front of a group of 10 people, all of whom he means to cheat, and say (either explicitly or implicitly) "Hey I'm going to cheat 9 of you and reward 1 of you" and somehow get all 10 people very clearly hear that they are 1 person who's going to get rewarded.

Trump has that "When I'm in front of Group X and say 'Lookit how stupid Group X is' I can somehow make everyone hear 'But no you.... the other members of Group X.'" It's weird.

It's like that woman in Florida, who said in an interview that she was upset because Trump's government shutdown was hurting her and her friends instead off "the people he needs to be hurting.”

Bad things are only supposed to affect people I don't like, not me.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:57 AM   #1298
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's like that woman in Florida, who said in an interview that she was upset because Trump's government shutdown was hurting her and her friends instead off "the people he needs to be hurting.”

Which is why I still think Trumps biggest group of supporters is going to stay people who think (right or wrong) that they don't have anything left to lose and who's primary motivation is doing as much damage as they can on the way out.
Old 6th November 2019, 09:08 AM   #1299
Belz...
Fiend God

Well, he does love the uneducated.

Old 6th November 2019, 01:25 PM   #1300
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sondaland has changed his testimony, now says that he told a Ukrainian official that military aid was dependent on them publicly announcing an investigation into Biden

[Edit]I see this has already been posted, but it got lost in the noise when I looked for it. Can't hurt to post it again.
Some of the news media are saying the deal was for announcing the investigation of Biden, and some are saying the deal was for investigating/dealing with Ukraine corruption.

I should have tracked who was saying which.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th November 2019 at 01:34 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 01:29 PM   #1301
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
"Refreshed" as in, "Oh, hell. I'd better see if I can head off the perjury charges.".
I can see this meeting after the testimony was released:

Sondland: Wait a minute, I thought we agreed everyone was supposed to lie, you mean none of you did? Crap.
Old 6th November 2019, 04:11 PM   #1302
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Sondland: Wait a minute, I thought we agreed everyone was supposed to lie, you mean none of you did? Crap.
The Prisoner’s Dilemma?
Old 6th November 2019, 04:41 PM   #1303
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I find it funny that Trumpsters don't realize that when he said "I could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Ave. and not lose any supporters" he was insulting them.
I just saw a Trump supporter asked if she'd still support Trump if he did shoot someone on Fifth Ave. Her answer: Why did he shoot him?

Watch the whole video. It's amazing. The woman in the back row, gray cardigan (Crystal Arlington) is exactly what I think of when I think of a Trump supporter. Some people's ability to rationalize things is amazing.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...someone-on-5th
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 04:56 PM   #1304
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I just saw a Trump supporter asked if she'd still support Trump if he did shoot someone on Fifth Ave. Her answer: Why did he shoot him?

Watch the whole video. It's amazing. The woman in the back row, gray cardigan (Crystal Arlington) is exactly what I think of when I think of a Trump supporter. Some people's ability to rationalize things is amazing.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...someone-on-5th
"I don't know why [the Ukrainian aid is] going there."

"I don't know that [every President does it] to be true either!"

I love how their arguments are founded on what they don't know, and don't care to know.
Old 6th November 2019, 05:17 PM   #1305
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That's all you can expect from their kind. Trumptrash aren't smart enough to know that the filthy Russian whore they are so enamored of doesn't give a **** about them. That's not a level of intelligence you can expect from such lesser beings.
Old 6th November 2019, 05:27 PM   #1306
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

That's the problem with Trumpers. All of them think they are either above or in on the joke.
...because the joke has already been popular among them since years before any of them knew who Trump was. That's what made the careers of Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, Larry The Cable Guy, and Ron White, and made Hee Haw popular in rural country and a legitimate place for country singers to go for publicity.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:16 PM   #1307
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
... it's a truism. Any lawyer who works for Trump will eventually require their own lawyer. And as often as not, Trump's lawyer's lawyer will also need a lawyer.
A new wrinkle. Giuliani has hired a new team of lawyers one of whom was Michael Cohen's lawyer.

This suggests there might be one or more lawyers who specialize in representing Trump's lawyers.

Last edited by varwoche; 6th November 2019 at 08:18 PM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 10:24 PM   #1308
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

A new wrinkle. Giuliani has hired a new team of lawyers one of whom was Michael Cohen's lawyer.

This suggests there might be one or more lawyers who specialize in representing Trump's lawyers.
How well did it work out for Cohen?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 04:36 AM   #1309
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Better than it would have done had he not flipped. And it was likely his lawyer who advised him to flip...
Old 7th November 2019, 05:51 AM   #1310
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Better than it would have done had he not flipped. And it was likely his lawyer who advised him to flip...
Significant is how deciding to aid prosecutors in the search for the truth, in order to hold wrongdoers responsible for their acts, has been reduced to a single word, “flip”.

Does seem like a strategy a crime boss would use.
Old 7th November 2019, 06:09 AM   #1311
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

If there's more amusing parts in the transcripts, I'd definitely like to know about them...!

Schiff: What do you deduce from that - that our ally is fighting with the Russians but all of these agencies that support this can't get a meeting with the President to discuss it?

Taylor: It turns our, Mr. Chairman, that those principals as we call them were on different trips at different times. I think this was also about the time of the Greenland question, about purchasing Greenland, which took up a lot of energy at the NSC.

Schiff: Okay. That's disturbing for a whole different reason.

Last edited by varwoche; 7th November 2019 at 06:11 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 06:47 AM   #1312
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

If there's more amusing parts in the transcripts, I'd definitely like to know about them...!

Schiff: What do you deduce from that - that our ally is fighting with the Russians but all of these agencies that support this can't get a meeting with the President to discuss it?

Taylor: It turns our, Mr. Chairman, that those principals as we call them were on different trips at different times. I think this was also about the time of the Greenland question, about purchasing Greenland, which took up a lot of energy at the NSC.

Schiff: Okay. That's disturbing for a whole different reason.
.... It wasn't possible to find an hour that they could organize at least a teleconference? I have people in my department going on various trips all the time... we can easily set up a remote meeting. Surely they can do that too.
Old 7th November 2019, 07:30 AM   #1313
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
.... It wasn't possible to find an hour that they could organize at least a teleconference? I have people in my department going on various trips all the time... we can easily set up a remote meeting. Surely they can do that too.
I guess it's not just the meeting, they'd have to find time to produce a shiny, colorful max. four-page picture book about the issue to explain it to Trump
Old 7th November 2019, 07:36 AM   #1314
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
I guess it's not just the meeting, they'd have to find time to produce a shiny, colorful max. four-page picture book about the issue to explain it to Trump
... fastidiously scraping out any facts that might trigger him.
Old 7th November 2019, 11:33 AM   #1315
autumn1971
Illuminator

... fastidiously scraping out any facts that might trigger him.
So, scraping out any facts
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 01:27 PM   #1316
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

He was only convicted on eight counts (well ... nine, counting the perjury conviction, but they let the sentence for that run concurrent with his other time), and only got three years behind bars.

I'd say it worked out pretty well. It could have been a lot worse.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 04:07 PM   #1317
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Rumors now abounding that GOPers in the House are considering a plan to make Giuliani the scapegoat for the Ukraine scandal, trying to portray it as a rogue operation Trump had no control over.....
Total BS of course, but it indicates the evidence of wrongdoing is so strong that they can't just hand wave it away or claim nothing happened.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 04:28 PM   #1318
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Rumors now abounding that GOPers in the House are considering a plan to make Giuliani the scapegoat for the Ukraine scandal, trying to portray it as a rogue operation Trump had no control over.....
Total BS of course, but it indicates the evidence of wrongdoing is so strong that they can't just hand wave it away or claim nothing happened.
Meanwhile, in the White House it's Mulvaney being thrown under the bus.
Old 8th November 2019, 04:56 PM   #1319
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Actually, I think Giuliani was running something of a rogue operation that got Yovanovitch fired, but that's a separate issue from Trump's "perfect" quid pro quo.
Old 8th November 2019, 04:59 PM   #1320
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Wait...

Guiliani was running a rogue operation and manipulated Trump into withholding aid while enforcing Guiliani's quid pro quo?

How is that actually better?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics