ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st December 2019, 08:36 AM   #1
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

The Guardian website 'broken' in Firefox?

Well, 'damaged' anyway. When I go to it I get a brief glimpse of the front page headlines, then it skips straight to the bottom of the page. Clicking "Back to top" or "home" sorts that out. But if I then click a link the same thing happens.

This is happening on two laptops, but in Firefox only. Chrome is fine.

Any clues?
Old 1st December 2019, 08:37 AM   #2
Wudang
BOFH

I just noticed that as well.
Old 1st December 2019, 08:58 AM   #3
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

It's Firefox' new fake news evader.

No problem here (Firefox 70.0.1 (=current), Linux).
Old 1st December 2019, 09:27 AM   #4
GlennB

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
It's Firefox' new fake news evader.

No problem here (Firefox 70.0.1 (=current), Linux).
Hmmm, so it's because I was being exposed to too much propaganda?

We have FF 70.0.1. Weird.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Wudang
BOFH

70.0.1 as well but windows 10.
On my linux box(Mint 18) FF 63.0.3 also jumps to the bottom. Upgraded to 70.0.1 and same problem.
Old 1st December 2019, 12:47 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Worked fine for me just now.
ETA: And I much enjoy the lead article about Giuliani. Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 1st December 2019 at 12:48 PM.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 12:58 PM   #7
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Works for me. I use Chrome. Suggest if it still does not work you start using Chrome.
Old 1st December 2019, 01:00 PM   #8
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

Try clearing your temporary internet files?
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 02:03 PM   #9
GlennB

Originally Posted by JimOfAllTrades View Post
Try clearing your temporary internet files?
Tried that, but it didn't help.

Seems strange to me that it affected two laptops at the same time, but only in one browser. Oh well, worse things happen at sea
Old 1st December 2019, 02:22 PM   #10
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

FWIW I tried it in a mint version of Waterfox without any add-ons which I have for test cases. I have a ton of ad-blockers and other filters on the Firefox so I thought it would be possible that some stupid third-party thing caused it at yours but not here. Still works fine (beside the overload of completely annoying blinking and moving stuff - almost worse than the content).

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 1st December 2019 at 02:24 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 03:45 PM   #11
GlennB

It stopped happening, though I did nothing in the interim. They fixed it. Can I sue The Guardian for the emotional distress experienced? Bastages!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet