ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st December 2019, 01:03 PM   #1
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

How can the NRSC say that if you try to sue us, then weíll just choose arbitrator?

So, Iím getting unsolicited texts from the National Republican Senatorial Committee (packed with lies, but thatís another matter). I go to their website and I am reading all the fine print and I come across the claim that if there is any legal dispute, you agree to not file a class action suit and you agree to arbitration in Seattle, Washington.

If I havenít entered into an agreement with them, how can they say that I have to use arbitration in Washington?
Old 1st December 2019, 06:57 PM   #2
SezMe
post-pre-born

Warning: IANAL

They can't. There has to be an agreement to force arbitration.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 03:30 PM   #3
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
So, Iím getting unsolicited texts from the National Republican Senatorial Committee (packed with lies, but thatís another matter). I go to their website and I am reading all the fine print and I come across the claim that if there is any legal dispute, you agree to not file a class action suit and you agree to arbitration in Seattle, Washington.

If I havenít entered into an agreement with them, how can they say that I have to use arbitration in Washington?
Did you actually join, even inadvertently by pressing the wrong button? That's likely part of the agreement you accept when you join, just as it's often part of the terms when you open a bank account or get a credit card. Nobody can just proclaim "You can't sue me!" out of the blue.

Where is the language on their site?
https://www.nrsc.org/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 03:42 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

All the fine print for what?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 04:27 PM   #5
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Did you actually join, even inadvertently by pressing the wrong button? That's likely part of the agreement you accept when you join, just as it's often part of the terms when you open a bank account or get a credit card. Nobody can just proclaim "You can't sue me!" out of the blue.
Sure you can. All sorts of businesses put up signs disclaiming liability. They aren't all that enforceable, but if someone sees it and doesn't sue it pays for itself.

The federal arbitration act can be a bummer though. We are about two supreme court decisions away from "that you didn't agree to arbitration is a matter for the arbitration process" as a holding.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Sure you can. All sorts of businesses put up signs disclaiming liability. They aren't all that enforceable, but if someone sees it and doesn't sue it pays for itself.

The federal arbitration act can be a bummer though. We are about two supreme court decisions away from "that you didn't agree to arbitration is a matter for the arbitration process" as a holding.
But usually that's as a condition of providing service: "If you leave your coat with us, we're not responsible for losing it;" "If you use our car wash, we're not responsible for scratching your paint." You can choose not to accept the service. And even that doesn't protect them from their gross negligence or willful misconduct. That's why I asked what the site said. It's probably something like "By using our site, you are agreeing that any dispute will be resolved through arbitration." It's still a conditional trade; you can leave the site. But I can't just send random strangers a binding notice saying "You can't sue me."

Last edited by Bob001; 3rd December 2019 at 01:43 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:36 PM   #7
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
But usually that's as a condition of providing service: "If you leave your coat with us, we're not responsible for losing it;" "If you use our car wash, we're not responsible for scratching your paint." You can choose not to accept the service. And even that doesn't protect them from their gross negligence or willful misconduct. That's why I asked what the site said. It's probably something like "By using our site, you are agreeing that any dispute will be resolved through arbitration." It's still a conditional trade; you can leave the site. But I can't just send random strangers a binding notice saying "You can't sue me."
Like I said, meaningless disclaimers of liability, or at least meaningless if you don't take them at face value.

Just that nobody has figured out a way to make a sign claiming binding arbitration applies read as snappy and natural as "swim at your own risk."
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors