ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:27 AM   #1561
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Why not just email the excel file to you as an attachment?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:38 AM   #1562
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why not just email the excel file to you as an attachment?
That's ultimately what she did, so we could employ our workarounds to get the data. But she didn't send it initially because for the work we're doing we need a subset of the whole data, selected by her. It's a collection of particular ICD9 and 10 diagnosis codes, not the sort of thing we'd be able to determine ourselves from the whole set.
Old 22nd November 2019, 10:21 AM   #1563
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That's ultimately what she did, so we could employ our workarounds to get the data. But she didn't send it initially because for the work we're doing we need a subset of the whole data, selected by her. It's a collection of particular ICD9 and 10 diagnosis codes, not the sort of thing we'd be able to determine ourselves from the whole set.
ICD 9 and 10 have some quirks but it's how a lot of our data comes in along with bespoke codes from Cerner etc and we try to map it all to FHIR and SNOMED CT so they're all in one format before being loaded into a bunch of queryable DBs.
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:43 AM   #1564
CORed
Philosopher

Computing is a text-based medium. Yes, there are some end-users of some applications who just need pictures, but that's not us. It never ceases to amaze and depress me that a software developer will send a screenshot of job logs, instead of copying and pasting the logs.
Or just a copy of the log file as an attachment. I agree. Screenshots of text data are dumb. How exactly am I supposed to search for a string or a regex pattern in an image file?

Last edited by CORed; 22nd November 2019 at 11:45 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:48 AM   #1565
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Or copy and paste it into a Web search so you can find the relevant Stackoverflow articles?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 04:13 PM   #1566
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Or copy and paste it into a Web search so you can find the relevant Stackoverflow articles?
+1
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:23 PM   #1567
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

If meant this as snark, you hit me with a bulls-eye. For several years before I retired, I was responsible for a LINUX-based system for aggregating all sorts of network stats and logs. Even though I had all the documentation available for the system, I usually found that Google could answer my questions more quickly than I could look up the answer.

If this was meant as a straight-forward comment, you are so right.
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:28 PM   #1568
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
ICD 9 and 10 have some quirks but it's how a lot of our data comes in along with bespoke codes from Cerner etc and we try to map it all to FHIR and SNOMED CT so they're all in one format before being loaded into a bunch of queryable DBs.
That's not what we're doing. We're getting data out of the database but need the dx codes for the specific questions to ask. For instance we need all the applicable codes for the renal diseases that affect blood pressure so we can exclude those patients from quality measures on hypertension management. Stuff like that. Everything is great inside the EMR and its reporting databases; it's getting things out of there to fit the demands of users outside that gets tricky. Translating what they think they want to what they actually need, then providing as close to that as we actually can. It really shouldn't be fun but it kind of is!
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:47 PM   #1569
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Or just a copy of the log file as an attachment. I agree. Screenshots of text data are dumb. How exactly am I supposed to search for a string or a regex pattern in an image file?
Sometimes that is the only option, many environments disable cut and paste between the environment and your desktop.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2019, 08:54 AM   #1570
Wudang
BOFH

That's not what we're doing. We're getting data out of the database but need the dx codes for the specific questions to ask. For instance we need all the applicable codes for the renal diseases that affect blood pressure so we can exclude those patients from quality measures on hypertension management. Stuff like that. Everything is great inside the EMR and its reporting databases; it's getting things out of there to fit the demands of users outside that gets tricky. Translating what they think they want to what they actually need, then providing as close to that as we actually can. It really shouldn't be fun but it kind of is!
It sure can be. This is what I work on https://www.discoverydataservice.org...t/Overview.htm
Old 23rd November 2019, 09:19 AM   #1571
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elvis666 View Post
If meant this as snark, you hit me with a bulls-eye. For several years before I retired, I was responsible for a LINUX-based system for aggregating all sorts of network stats and logs. Even though I had all the documentation available for the system, I usually found that Google could answer my questions more quickly than I could look up the answer.

If this was meant as a straight-forward comment, you are so right.
Crafting the proper search query is a very real and valuable skill.
Old 23rd November 2019, 10:21 AM   #1572
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Crafting the proper search query is a very real and valuable skill.
That goes for dealing with users as well.
Old 24th November 2019, 01:42 AM   #1573
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Why didn't she upload it to OneDrive, and share the link address with you and send the password to the xls separately?
Old 24th November 2019, 08:47 PM   #1574
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

My interview for the Tier 2 position is in half an hour.

I am nervous, and I am not nervous.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2019, 08:51 PM   #1575
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
My interview for the Tier 2 position is in half an hour.

I am nervous, and I am not nervous.
Can't see how you could miss.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2019, 08:56 PM   #1576
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Can't see how you could miss.
That's why I'm not nervous. On the other hand, it's a job interview, which I find difficult on a personal level anyway.

But I've been on T1 for two years now, longer than anyone else on T1 right now, so the institutional knowledge I have for our environment and procedures makes me an obvious choice.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2019, 09:45 PM   #1577
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

And it's done. I think I did pretty well. I could see a lot of ticks in boxes and a lot of notes being taken. I think I hit most of the keywords that they wanted.

Now it's all over but the waiting.

- Randall Munroe
Old 25th November 2019, 02:21 AM   #1578
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
And it's done. I think I did pretty well. I could see a lot of ticks in boxes and a lot of notes being taken. I think I hit most of the keywords that they wanted.

Now it's all over but the waiting.
You might as well relax because the time will pass anyway.

Well done, old beast. Hope you get it.
Old 25th November 2019, 03:49 PM   #1579
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Just don't start counting the extra lolly in the pay-packet until you actually get it.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2019, 06:42 PM   #1580
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
You might as well relax because the time will pass anyway.
Yep, all the anxiety is pretty much gone now. I can't change the outcome, so there's no point in worrying.

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Well done, old beast. Hope you get it.
Thanks. So do I.

Just don't start counting the extra lolly in the pay-packet until you actually get it.
Oh believe me, I'm not anticipating anything. But you can bet your ass I'll be getting myself a little something something to celebrate if I do get it.

- Randall Munroe
Old 25th November 2019, 07:02 PM   #1581
Wudang
BOFH

Good luck.
Old 25th November 2019, 07:18 PM   #1582
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

But you can bet your ass I'll be getting myself a little something something to celebrate if I do get it.
Down the Tuggernong Razzle, eh?
Old 25th November 2019, 07:20 PM   #1583
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Down the Tuggernong Razzle, eh?
I'm in Belconnen now.

- Randall Munroe
Old 27th November 2019, 03:27 PM   #1584
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Good Luck! Did they say when they would make a decision?
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 07:42 PM   #1585
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
Good Luck! Did they say when they would make a decision?
They were hoping to have the decision by early December, but I don't think they will.

- Randall Munroe
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:03 PM   #1586
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

So... they've got me doing a task that used to be done by T2 before they lost three people but they're now farming out to the T1s. It's repetitive. Extremely repetitive. A lot of copy-pasting. Right now I have to do it 63 times to clear a backlog of service requests. But at least it gets me off the phones so it's got that going for it.

- Randall Munroe

Last edited by arthwollipot; 2nd December 2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:11 PM   #1587
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

So... they've got me doing a task that used to be done by T2 before they lost three people but they're now farming out to the T1s. It's repetitive. Extremely repetitive. A lot of copy-pasting. Right now I have to do it 63 times to clear a backlog of service requests. But at least it gets me off the phones so it's got that going for it.

I've probably got it wrong, but to save going back and re-reading lots of posts I'll just ask.

Isn't T2 what you're hoping to get promoted to?

Is this just a foretaste of what is to come if the promotion goes through?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:13 PM   #1588
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I've probably got it wrong, but to save going back and re-reading lots of posts I'll just ask.

Isn't T2 what you're hoping to get promoted to?

Is this just a foretaste of what is to come if the promotion goes through?
Now that this task has been delegated to T1, it'll probably stay there, but otherwise yes.

I want the job for the career effects, not because I get to do repetitive tasks.

- Randall Munroe
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:09 PM   #1589
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

One word: Powershell.

If you learn how to use it you can make you life a whole let easier. But a word of caution: if you're successful, don't let the higher-ups know. Sometimes bosses are afraid of technicians who know their stuff, and if you're really unlucky you can end up automating yourself out of a job.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 2nd December 2019 at 08:12 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:28 PM   #1590
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
One word: Powershell.

If you learn how to use it you can make you life a whole let easier. But a word of caution: if you're successful, don't let the higher-ups know. Sometimes bosses are afraid of technicians who know their stuff, and if you're really unlucky you can end up automating yourself out of a job.
This is one of those tasks that it seems like it should be ideal for automation. But it's fine. It really needed to be done by someone, and it was mostly repetetive because IT Security helpfully sent an email out to all Resource Group Owners saying "if you need to modify your Resource Groups, submit your Resource Group Management form now". And so they did. All of them. Which created hell for us.

Now that I've got through the RGM forms, the remaining service requests are quite easy and a lot more varied.

But damn if I won't be dreaming about those RGM forms tonight.

- Randall Munroe

Last edited by arthwollipot; 2nd December 2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:45 PM   #1591
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Blah. And it's done. An entire backlog of service requests that was in its 70s is now at 0. Most of those requests are now backlogging the downstream workflow...

- Randall Munroe
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:57 AM   #1592
erlando
Graduate Poster

Do it manually twice. Automate the third time.
Old 3rd December 2019, 01:00 AM   #1593
erlando
Graduate Poster

Obligatory Bastard Operator From Hell quote

Quote:
Go away or I will replace you with a very small shell script
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:26 AM   #1594
Wudang
BOFH

Obligatory Bastard Operator From Hell quote
I have that on a t-shirt.
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:38 PM   #1595
Blue Mountain

Here's a very interesting and extensive discussion, which started when someone automated their data entry job and deliberately introduced a few small errors to make it appear the work was still being done by hand: Is it unethical for me to not tell my employer Iíve automated my job? [workplace.stackexchange.com]
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:49 PM   #1596
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Do it manually twice. Automate the third time.
Well there are a couple of problems with that. First, it's an ongoing process. Inbox-outbox situation. There was just a backlog for the reasons I outlined. This morning when I came in there were nine new requests, which I will have to process. It's ongoing.

Second, I have no clue how to automate this. I'm not a programmer. If someone else were to do it, that'd be great, but it's buried right at the bottom of the list of priorities.

- Randall Munroe
Old 4th December 2019, 10:29 AM   #1597
Blue Mountain

Well there are a couple of problems with that. First, it's an ongoing process. Inbox-outbox situation. There was just a backlog for the reasons I outlined. This morning when I came in there were nine new requests, which I will have to process. It's ongoing.

Second, I have no clue how to automate this. I'm not a programmer. If someone else were to do it, that'd be great, but it's buried right at the bottom of the list of priorities.
I understand. As a programmer my first impulse on hearing of any computer issue is to figure out how to write a solution for it. Shocking as it may seem to me, there actually are things in life more important than programming or learning how to program.
Old 4th December 2019, 10:57 AM   #1598
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Shocking as it may seem to me, there actually are things in life more important than programming or learning how to program.
<gasps><clutches perl>
Old 4th December 2019, 11:06 AM   #1599
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

<gasps><clutches perl>
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 11:15 AM   #1600
catsmate
No longer the 1

<gasps><clutches perl>
PERL?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet