ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 13th December 2019, 04:52 PM   #2721
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I agree that it should probably have been a slam-dunk case. But, according to the article, there were 'no noted dissents' to taking the case, so for some reason the more Liberal judges also think there are valid reasons rule on it.
I read that. But I've been reading every other report and that is the only story that says that. And I was under the impression is that is not how it works. An appeal is made to the full court. There are hundreds even thousands of such appeals. They don't vote on them. A minimum of 4 Justices must declare they want to accept a case and rule on it.
Old 13th December 2019, 05:03 PM   #2722
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Who would start it? What side would the military take? Who would win?
Who would I shoot?

If things devolve to that point maybe I do need a gun, but mainly to protect my stuff or steal someone else's. Everyone armed with no established command structure would be a mess.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:05 PM   #2723
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

My Approval Rating in the Republican Party is 95%, a Record. Thank you! #2020Election
Wasn't it "98%, a Record" just a few weeks ago?
Old 13th December 2019, 05:16 PM   #2724
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I read that. But I've been reading every other report and that is the only story that says that. And I was under the impression is that is not how it works. An appeal is made to the full court. There are hundreds even thousands of such appeals. They don't vote on them. A minimum of 4 Justices must declare they want to accept a case and rule on it.
I don't have any special insight into how the justices work. But I do have an idea of how journalists work, and it's very common to ignore "details" like that. Even when they offer significant clues to the thinking behind a decision.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:21 PM   #2725
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
~ 10-20% of Trump supporters have honestly and truly turned him, on some level, into a kind of demagogue figure.
I often read this as "demigod." Similar in context.
Old 13th December 2019, 05:24 PM   #2726
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't have any special insight into how the justices work. But I do have an idea of how journalists work, and it's very common to ignore "details" like that. Even when they offer significant clues to the thinking behind a decision.
I'm pretty sure (almost positive) they don't publish a vote on the acceptance of a case. So no dissents would ever be listed.

Only when the case is finally decided.

But perhaps an actual attorney could weigh in on this.
Old 13th December 2019, 05:38 PM   #2727
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

My Approval Rating in the Republican Party is 95%, a Record. Thank you! #

Fivethirty eight has him at an overall disapproval rating of 53.2%/ 41.9% approval. Funny now he ignores 11% more Americans disapprove of him than approve.

Quote:
Poll numbers have gone through the roof in favor of No Impeachment, especially with Swing States and Independents in Swing States. People have figured out that the Democrats have no case, it is a total Hoax. Even Pelosi admitted yesterday that she began this scam 2 1/2 years ago!
Another Trump lie. Notice that Trump did not identify that poll he claims shows a 95% approval rating

Quote:
The overall change since the late-September launch was an increase of 9.2 points in support for impeachment. Among independents, whom Trump identified specifically, support is up 8.8 points. More dramatically, net support for impeachment among both groups rose by double digits, with respondents overall now supporting impeachment more than they oppose it.
Quote:
It’s also possible that Trump is referring to polls conducted by his campaign or — like the ones that consistently show him with 95 percent approval among Republicans — ones he may well have made up. In which case, sure, they’re going through the roof, in the same way that you can win a footrace against Usain Bolt anytime you want if you get to pick who plays Usain Bolt.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...f/?arc404=true

Quote:
So why isn’t he citing the source on these polls? Perhaps they’re internal, like the polls his 2020 campaign manager Brad Parscale referenced obliquely back in January. Parscale claimed Trump was at “his highest national approval rating since I started tracking,” despite public polls all showing Trump flailing during the government shutdown.

Maybe he’s citing something that isn’t really a poll, like one of those useless online surveys he likes. When Trump was talking about being at 93 percent approval earlier this year, we determined that the 93 percent number had come from a poll done at a conservative political conference, rendering it about as scientific as astrology.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...he-says-it-is/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:41 PM   #2728
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Melania's defense is that Barron isn't "an activist who travels the globe giving speeches".

Somehow, in her mind, that justifies her bully of a husband mocking a teenager on the autism spectrum. Trump wasn't replying to anything Thunberg had said or done. He was attacking her because she was chosen to be Time's Person of the Year and he wasn't. Just Be Best, Donnie!
That was Grisham's language, though I would imagine Melania signed off on it. Grisham is vicious. Worse than Huckabee-Sanders or Spicer. Or better, from Trump's point of view. Almost a parody.

I am not as hard on Melania as some people. She scored points with me by flicking Trump's hand away once and a few other things that made me think she might be trolling Trump.
Old 13th December 2019, 05:42 PM   #2729
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I read this and concluded democracy has died in America. The court should have just passed on taking the case. There is nothing new in this case that hasn't been ruled on countless times before. The ONLY reason the court took up the case was political partisanship. It's clear that they are protecting Trump.

The AMERICAN experiment is over.

Hyperboyle much?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 06:00 PM   #2730
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I wish that after all the time I invested in having the hearing on yesterday, I had seen the final moments. I simply had to watch something else for a while, and missed it.
You can still see it. I'm only sorry you subjected yourself to so much crap.
I'm pretty sure (almost positive) they don't publish a vote on the acceptance of a case. So no dissents would ever be listed.

Only when the case is finally decided.

But perhaps an actual attorney could weigh in on this.
I used to expect someone to leak Trump's financials. It kind of baffles me that no one has. It wouldn't have to be the government. Lots of people would have seen those documents.

Some people hope for lost tribes of sane voters. I hope for a Wikileaks-scale document dump that would moot the hell out of this case.

I also expected the unredacted Mueller Report by now.

Last edited by Minoosh; 13th December 2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 13th December 2019, 06:06 PM   #2731
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hyperboyle much?
You think? Hey, I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

It's just that the sycophants have been anxious to get in line to plant big wet ones on the big Orange man's big brown one.

Trump has made the argument that the House cannot investigate. Only the DOJ can. This would handcuff any chance at oversight not only of this President, but any future Presidents. This would guarantee the Executive branch unchecked power. Anyone with any knowledge of political history knows that such power is an anathema to democratic principles.
Old 13th December 2019, 06:08 PM   #2732
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Hyperboyle much?
Wait, you're saying that? I thought he was being unduly pessimistic, but I thought you were pretty much in the same space.

The weird thing is, I am usually not an optimist at all.
Old 13th December 2019, 06:16 PM   #2733
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has made the argument that the House cannot investigate. Only the DOJ can. This would handcuff any chance at oversight not only of this President, but any future Presidents. This would guarantee the Executive branch unchecked power. Anyone with any knowledge of political history knows that such power is an anathema to democratic principles.
Maybe justices want expedited review to get the info out sooner rather than later. Even if they are doing it to help Trump, would they want to risk giving a Democratic executive that much power?

Seriously, I'm NOT an optimist, but I haven't written the Supreme Court off. What, is everyone in Russia's pocket?
Old 13th December 2019, 06:23 PM   #2734
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

The most disapointing and even shocking thing is when the GOP claim that Democrats have "no case" and "no evidence" that Trump did anything wrong.

Are they blind? Deaf? Or simply hypnotized by blind loyalty.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 06:28 PM   #2735
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

You think? Hey, I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

It's just that the sycophants have been anxious to get in line to plant big wet ones on the big Orange man's big brown one.

CT INCOMING...

Is it possible that McConnell and scum know something the rest of us don't? Maybe they have a foolproof plan for electoral manipulation that guarantees Republican wins in the future. After all, they'd be fools to cede unchecked power to the executive branch otherwise.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 06:49 PM   #2736
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe justices want expedited review to get the info out sooner rather than later. Even if they are doing it to help Trump, would they want to risk giving a Democratic executive that much power?

Seriously, I'm NOT an optimist, but I haven't written the Supreme Court off. What, is everyone in Russia's pocket?
I can't imagine the court agreeing with that argument. Except in my nightmares.

There has always been one very important principle of American jurisprudence and government. And that is, you can't rule on your own case. The Executive administers the DOJ, it is unreasonable to believe that the DOJ can fairly investigate the Executive.

To deprive Congress from the ability to investigate the Executive would run counter to its role in impeachment and oversight. The idea that Article 2 says the Executive can do whatever he wants also runs counter to our system of checks and balances.

I keep waiting, expecting that people are going to do the right thing. And the reality seems to be that it's never going to happen. Big money owns the process and the rest of us are just puppets on strings.
Old 13th December 2019, 06:50 PM   #2737
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

You can still see it. I'm only sorry you subjected yourself to so much crap.
I hit the mute button a lot. Mostly when the Republicans came on and I was actively listening. The numerous votes/roll calls also called for muting. I admit that no one had anything much new to say today.

But, when I nap I like to have something not too interesting on in the background. This fit the bill nicely.
Old 13th December 2019, 07:43 PM   #2738
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Supreme Court will hear three cases over Trump’s financial records
Quote:
A decision is expected by the end of June, in the midst of the 2020 presidential election.
This should be fun.
Old 13th December 2019, 08:18 PM   #2739
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

The weird thing is, I am usually not an optimist at all.
I used to think that, but now I look back, and consider what things have come to, I actually was being optimistic.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 08:20 PM   #2740
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Where do the "Trump supporters who would support Mickey Mouse If he were a Republican" come in?
I think we need to rethink that expression. After all, M. Mickey is a cheerful and clever. He treats women with respect. Dogs like him. He is very much a step up from our current POTUS.
Old 13th December 2019, 08:25 PM   #2741
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I can stomach the ones who say he is a tool that God is using. I cannot stomach the ones who say he good Christian.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Well, that's obviously also God's will!

And that's what really pisses me off about these guys - it's all "God's will!" when their candidate wins, but they never stop to ask, oh, let's say, "Why did God want Obama to win?"
But they know the answer: that was a punishment for America turning away from its rich Christian heritage and duties.
Old 13th December 2019, 08:26 PM   #2742
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
The most disapointing and even shocking thing is when the GOP claim that Democrats have "no case" and "no evidence" that Trump did anything wrong.

They're simply following the script, mouthing the words without thought to what they might mean or how they could be justified. The important thing is that everybody in the phalanx stays in step; as long as they do it's impregnable.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 10:47 PM   #2743
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Trump Tweets

We have agreed to a very large Phase One Deal with China. They have agreed to many structural changes and massive purchases of Agricultural Product, Energy, and Manufactured Goods, plus much more. The 25% Tariffs will remain as is, with 7 1/2% put on much of the remainder....

.....The Penalty Tariffs set for December 15th will not be charged because of the fact that we made the deal. We will begin negotiations on the Phase Two Deal immediately, rather than waiting until after the 2020 Election. This is an amazing deal for all. Thank you!
Sadly, there's likely not much to actually celebrate here for Trump, despite the noise being made about it. In related news, it looks like Democrats managed to add a bunch of things to make NAFTA (USMCA, I suppose we could call it) much better for American workers and jobs before agreeing to support it. Thanks, Democrats!

Melania's defense is that Barron isn't "an activist who travels the globe giving speeches".

Somehow, in her mind, that justifies her bully of a husband mocking a teenager on the autism spectrum. Trump wasn't replying to anything Thunberg had said or done. He was attacking her because she was chosen to be Time's Person of the Year and he wasn't. Just Be Best, Donnie!
After that planes to Davos comment, I keep being reminded of a picture of Thunberg being posted. She was on a train, eating a meal provided there, and smiling. She was bashed like crazy for such horrible things like riding a train and accepting the use of plastic containers while being actively for reducing carbon emission. Also, for smiling at all. Yes, she was bashed for smiling.

That is indeed the kind of thing that makes me completely disregard that line of complaints from the right, because they're largely and clearly not being made in good faith at all.

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
It's 2%.

I doubt he knows but I am absolutely sure he doesn't give a damn. He's mainstream GOP on this ... to the world's detriment (to say the least).
While he may not truly care, I admit that I'm also not particularly fond of excessive jet travel. It may well be worthwhile to point out that 2% actually is a pretty big number overall when it comes to this, and it's well worth looking into options to reduce carbon emissions from plane travel, especially given that every bit matters, at this point.

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post

No. Just lying and using political strategies that, at best, can yield personal gain in trade for welcoming horrors and destruction. They would hardly be the first, of course, but that doesn't make it any less despicable.
Old 13th December 2019, 11:14 PM   #2744
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Which is why I contiure to suggest it might come down to literal civil war.
Between whom?
Old 13th December 2019, 11:38 PM   #2745
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I read this and concluded democracy has died in America. The court should have just passed on taking the case. There is nothing new in this case that hasn't been ruled on countless times before. The ONLY reason the court took up the case was political partisanship. It's clear that they are protecting Trump.

The AMERICAN experiment is over.
The SCOTUS may actually want to reaffirm the role of Congress in oversight and compliance with its subpoena power. Let's not man the barricades just yet.
Old 14th December 2019, 12:04 AM   #2746
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Did she actually say that?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 02:55 AM   #2747
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Did she actually say that?
As far as I can tell... not necessarily directly? That's the Press Secretary making a statement for her, by the look of it, with I don't know how much direct wording from Melania, because the Trump Press Secretaries lie like crazy about all kinds of stuff, big and little, but that fairly certainly sums up her excuse just fine.

Last edited by Aridas; 14th December 2019 at 02:58 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 03:14 AM   #2748
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“The FBI declares in a court filing that it has absolutely no records of disciplinary action against any lawyers in Russia Fisa Case despite 17 acts of misconduct. There is nothing noble about their leadership. FISA Court appears to be either corrupt or incompetent.” @LouDobbs

25 Million Evangelical Christians are not registered to vote. We are working hard to get them registered!
@robertjeffress @LouDobbs
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 04:22 AM   #2749
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Just to be clear - we've talked about the latest twist in the Trump Foundation saga, right? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9241531.html

Quote:
In a settlement reached on 7 November, Mr Trump admitted to "persistent" violations of federal and state campaign finance laws by abusing the tax-exempt status of his Donald J Trump Foundation and using it as "little more than a chequebook" to support his campaign and his business.

[...]

Mr Trump also admitted "that he and his campaign took credit for the grants that the foundation made" with funds he raised from the public.

The president also admitted using foundation funds to "settle legal obligations of companies he controlled" and to pay for a portrait that cost him $10,000.
We knew all that already, but now he's admitted to it nobody can deny that he actually did it.

Quick question, though - if you were found to have stolen money from a charity, do you think you'd have got just a fine? A fine that adds up to less than you stole? If you had allowed someone to steal money from a charity do you think the consequences for you would have just been a mandatory training course?
Old 14th December 2019, 07:27 AM   #2750
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
We knew all that already, but now he's admitted to it nobody can deny that he actually did it.
Except him, of course. And he already has. Via tweet, naturally:

All they found was incredibly effective philanthropy and some small technical violations," Trump tweeted.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 14th December 2019 at 07:31 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 07:48 AM   #2751
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Hyperboyle much?
Dude you're the one already polishing up his "I told you so" speech for the upcoming civil war.

You and him are on the exact same level.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 08:16 AM   #2752
Distracted1
Illuminator

Hyperboyle much?
You have advocated arming oneself in multiple posts since Trump.
If you see the previous post as hyperbole, I am going to be forced to assume that you have done so because you own a gun store.
Old 14th December 2019, 09:12 AM   #2753
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

After watching the disgraceful way that a wonderful man, @BrettKavanaugh, was treated by the Democrats, and now seeing first hand how these same Radical Left, Do Nothing Dems are treating the whole Impeachment Hoax, I understand why so many Dems are voting Republican!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 09:12 AM   #2754
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Except him, of course. And he already has. Via tweet, naturally:

All they found was incredibly effective philanthropy and some small technical violations," Trump tweeted.
That's very different from what he's now admitted to.
Old 14th December 2019, 11:03 AM   #2755
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
That's very different from what he's now admitted to.
Almost like alternative facts!
Old 14th December 2019, 12:48 PM   #2756
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Quote:
Which is why I contiure to suggest it might come down to literal civil war.
Between whom?
I doubt you would see a situation where the entire country erupts in violence simultaneously.

IF it were to happen, I figure it would begin with some of the more liberal states (such as California or New York) seeing populist politicians elected who complain about being 'shut out of power' after more elections where the republicans gain power despite losing the popular vote. There would be demands for electoral form (ignored by Republicans in power), then talk of separation. The disgruntled states might pass a referendum to separate, the federal government would respond with troops, and things would go from there.

A comparison might be the rise of the separatist cause in Quebec. (However, there are differences... in Quebec, they are hardly shut out of power; instead they have more political influence than other provinces. Plus, Quebec is a 'have not' province, which benefits more from Canada than it pays in.)

Of course as I said, that is a hypothetical situation. I doubt it would actually come to that. Such events would take years/decades to unfold, and the U.S. is undergoing a shift in demographics that mean that eventually the republicans would lose power before that would happen.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 12:54 PM   #2757
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
<snip for brevity> ... Of course as I said, that is a hypothetical situation. I doubt it would actually come to that. Such events would take years/decades to unfold, and the U.S. is undergoing a shift in demographics that mean that eventually the republicans would lose power before that would happen.
There's something to be said for things coming to a dramatic head in some form or another, as opposed to returning to business as usual. Things were broken before Trump. The thought of a truth and reconciliation commission, requiring that Trump appointed judges be impeached en mass (among other measures), has certain appeal.
Old 14th December 2019, 01:28 PM   #2758
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The SCOTUS may actually want to reaffirm the role of Congress in oversight and compliance with its subpoena power. Let's not man the barricades just yet.
They could have done that by simply refusing to review the case and let the lower court rulings stand.
Old 14th December 2019, 05:26 PM   #2759
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

They could have done that by simply refusing to review the case and let the lower court rulings stand.
Not with the same power or clarity that a decision would have.
Old 14th December 2019, 05:58 PM   #2760
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Chuck Schumer sat for years during the Obama Administration and watched as China ripped off the United States. He & the Do Nothing Democrats did NOTHING as this $ carnage took place. Now, without even seeing it, he snipes at our GREAT new deal with China. Too bad Cryin’ Chuck!

The last time I spoke to Debbie Dingell was her call thanking me for granting top memorial and funeral service honors for her then just departed husband, long time Congressman John Dingell. Now I watch her ripping me as part of the Democrats Impeachment Hoax. Really pathetic!
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics