ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th January 2020, 06:55 AM   #1
Armitage72
Illuminator

Self-Repairing Biological Microbots

Scientists at the University of Vermont and Tufts University have created millimeter-wide biological robots from frog stem cells, shaped by a supercomputer and capable of movement, self-repair, and coordinated action.

Quote:
Scientists have created the world's first living, self-healing robots using stem cells from frogs.
Named xenobots after the African clawed frog (Xenopus laevis) from which they take their stem cells, the machines are less than a millimeter (0.04 inches) wide -- small enough to travel inside human bodies. They can walk and swim, survive for weeks without food, and work together in groups.
These are "entirely new life-forms," said the University of Vermont, which conducted the research with Tufts University.
Stem cells are unspecialized cells that have the ability to develop into different cell types. The researchers scraped living stem cells from frog embryos, and left them to incubate. Then, the cells were cut and reshaped into specific "body forms" designed by a supercomputer -- forms "never seen in nature," according to a news release from the University of Vermont.
Xenobots don't look like traditional robots -- they have no shiny gears or robotic arms. Instead, they look more like a tiny blob of moving pink flesh. The researchers say this is deliberate -- this "biological machine" can achieve things typical robots of steel and plastic cannot.
Xenobots could be used to clean up radioactive waste, collect microplastics in the oceans, carry medicine inside human bodies, or even travel into our arteries to scrape out plaque. The xenobots can survive in aqueous environments without additional nutrients for days or weeks -- making them suitable for internal drug delivery.

It reminds me a little of a novel I read, in which the author did research into actual nanotech research and featured nanobots that looked like starfish.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 07:07 AM   #2
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Ingenious! There's no way these things could possibly go wrong.
Old 14th January 2020, 07:27 AM   #3
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
biological robots from frog stem cells,
Or as James Jeffrey put it "I, Ribbit'
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 08:16 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Ingenious! There's no way these things could possibly go wrong.
Nope, no way at all, at least they aren't grey.
Old 15th January 2020, 12:27 AM   #5
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Scientists at the University of Vermont and Tufts University have created millimeter-wide biological robots from frog stem cells, shaped by a supercomputer and capable of movement, self-repair, and coordinated action.

It reminds me a little of a novel I read, in which the author did research into actual nanotech research and featured nanobots that looked like starfish.
Nice. I've been waiting for this since reading Engines of Creation nearly 20 years ago. It always seemed to me that adapting existing biology was the right way to go.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology