ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , belief in god , Leonardo Blair , mental health issues

Old 13th January 2020, 09:13 PM   #201
sackett
Philosopher

Alas, Akhenaten

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
joobz! Next thing you know, pharaoh will return.
But Akhenaten can never return. Have you forgotten? Years ago, DOC announced, more sorrowfully than angrily, that he had "blocked" the pharaoh. Yes, blocked his majesty! Although it was immediately explained to him that he had only blocked himself, DOC disdained to understand the functioning of the iggy button, and loftily refused to acknowledge Akhenaten's existence.

And it worked! Have you seen the pharaoh lately, here or in any other thread? Oh, beware the blockage of DOC!

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:04 PM   #202
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

I remember the blocking fondly. .
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 12:27 AM   #203
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
The worst hell of heaven would be eternally knowing that many loved ones are suffering eternal torture in hell.
No worries for me - all my friends & family are headed down under, with me.

Imagine heaven, full of self-righteous fundies and bloody Catholics.
Old 14th January 2020, 01:34 AM   #204
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I think a psychoanalyst is a follower of Sigmund Freud and his theories, whereas a therapist could be something else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoanalysis
Old 14th January 2020, 04:58 AM   #205
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Divided by an unscaleable, soundproof wall, 'cause both groups think they're the only ones there.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 06:50 AM   #206
sackett
Philosopher

DOC hath shewn the Way

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Divided by an unscaleable, soundproof wall, 'cause both groups think they're the only ones there.
Heck, they just block each other. Prob solved.

sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 06:55 AM   #207
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Heck, they just block each other. Prob solved.
There is no DOC-blocking in heaven.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 07:00 AM   #208
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Does Turtullian represent the current state of morality in modern theology?
Certainly seems to be in line with some Christians I've read about.

Have to remember that there isn't an official body that tells all.chrisitans what they have to believe. It's quite a pick 'n' mix religion.
Old 14th January 2020, 07:15 AM   #209
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Have to remember that there isn't an official body that tells all.chrisitans what they have to believe. It's quite a pick 'n' mix religion.
"That's the great thing about Catholicism. It's so vague and no one really knows what it's about."

- Father Ted

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 07:23 AM   #210
sackett
Philosopher

What?!?

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
There is no DOC-blocking in heaven.

Dave
If DOC and I can't cup our ears and go neener neener neener in heaven, then we're not going!

But that's okay, I take Metamucil every day, and you couldn't block me if you tried.

Old 14th January 2020, 07:53 AM   #211
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Hah, this one.
Thanks. I hadn't seen this one before. Can anyone tell me what the presumably jewish guy in the lower right has in his hand? And why he seems to be wearing a pith helmet? Or is this another horrible stereotype altogether?

Also - joobz!
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 07:53 AM   #212
joobz
Tergiversator

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
joobz! Next thing you know, pharaoh will return.
Hi!
FZ told me DOC was back, so I figured I'd reply for old times sake.

DOC's ministry helped me on my path to atheism. He helped demonstrate to me just how bad the evidence is for religion. For that, I'll always be grateful.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 07:56 AM   #213
carlitos
"más divertido"

I don't believe you unless you can cite the exact posts that DOC "brought in" that made you unbelieve.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 08:05 AM   #214
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Thanks. I hadn't seen this one before. Can anyone tell me what the presumably jewish guy in the lower right has in his hand? And why he seems to be wearing a pith helmet? Or is this another horrible stereotype altogether?

https://i.imgur.com/M5W41rv.jpg

Also - joobz!
An evil 'evolutionist', holding a bone. Looking like a Jewish caricature is just a nice extra dogwhistle. Chick has a lot of big nosed beady eyed stooped over bad guys for some reason.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 09:22 AM   #215
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Some of the venomous critters found in Australia do make for a proper hell don't they?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 09:59 AM   #216
sackett
Philosopher

Know what I think? DOC has blocked us all. We're in limbo.

Or in hades, maybe. Like the mouthless shades, we loiter by the farther bank of Lethe, endeavoring forever to remember something we've forgotten.

DOC, if you can read this -- aw what's the use? He's left us here, and will never return. Probably. Most likely. Dare we hope?

I mean, hope that he'll come back. Sorry, Mods.

Old 14th January 2020, 10:19 AM   #217
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 11:18 AM   #218
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Some of the venomous critters found in Australia do make for a proper hell don't they?
The critters are no sweat, but most of the non-desert part of Aussie's has had a very good glimpse of Dantean Infernal Hell lately.
Old 14th January 2020, 11:44 AM   #219
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by joobz View Post
Hi!
FZ told me DOC was back, so I figured I'd reply for old times sake.

DOC's ministry helped me on my path to atheism. He helped demonstrate to me just how bad the evidence is for religion. For that, I'll always be grateful.
Sorry this wasn't enough for you:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...65#post9829265

Now back to the topic.

Last edited by DOC; 14th January 2020 at 11:48 AM.
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 11:47 AM   #220
carlitos
"más divertido"

LOL. I'd never seen this before:

Originally Posted by DOC's bad link
404: Planet X Not Found
Old 14th January 2020, 01:34 PM   #221
joobz
Tergiversator

Originally Posted by DOC View Post
Sorry this wasn't enough for you:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...65#post9829265

Now back to the topic.
It was more than enough.
It's why I no longer believe.
You've been extremely effective at creating atheists.
Keep up the good work!

You can start by telling us more about how lying is good.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 08:22 PM   #222
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Certainly seems to be in line with some Christians I've read about.
Those would be the extreme ones like Westboro, which in no way are a representative sample.

Except of course for Catholicism, which literally has exactly such a body. Unlike Westboro, Catholicism does comprise a majority of Christians, and I'm pretty sure they don't still teach what Tertullian wrote.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 09:05 PM   #223
sackett
Philosopher

Doc says, "Now back to the topic."

Still convinced that you get to call the shots, huh Doc?

The topic is -- what? The chrrrristian rightness of lying to children? The virtue of filling their heads with ugly Iron Age fairy tales? Come on now, doc. State your own views. Don't try to rely on vaguely topical (in your own view) authoritative voices. Be a man.* Talk in your own voice.

*Okay, be a woman then. But knock off this humming monotone.

Old 14th January 2020, 09:55 PM   #224
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by joobz View Post
You can start by telling us more about how lying is good.
Well this one time my son asked, "Daddy, what's your favorite thing to do with Mommy". In that case lying was good for everyone.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 11:00 PM   #225
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Those would be the extreme ones like Westboro, which in no way are a representative sample.

Except of course for Catholicism, which literally has exactly such a body. Unlike Westboro, Catholicism does comprise a majority of Christians, and I'm pretty sure they don't still teach what Tertullian wrote.
It only takes a single example to answer your question.

And even if you want to ignore all non catholic churches there is still no body that sets out what theology they are all meant to follow
Old 14th January 2020, 11:19 PM   #226
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It only takes a single example to answer your question.
Right, but a single example is not necessarily representative.

And even if you want to ignore all non catholic churches there is still no body that sets out what theology they are all meant to follow
Isn't there a body called the Office of the Doctrine of the Faith or something which is supposed to do that? I thought there was. I could be mistaken.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 01:28 AM   #227
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
But Akhenaten can never return. Have you forgotten? Years ago, DOC announced, more sorrowfully than angrily, that he had "blocked" the pharaoh. Yes, blocked his majesty! Although it was immediately explained to him that he had only blocked himself, DOC disdained to understand the functioning of the iggy button, and loftily refused to acknowledge Akhenaten's existence.

Are you sure it wasn’t Aberhaten that he blocked? I’ve certainly not see that guy lately.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 01:36 AM   #228
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Isn't there a body called the Office of the Doctrine of the Faith or something which is supposed to do that? I thought there was. I could be mistaken.
Still exists in the Holy Roman church, but has no effect on other christian sects.
Old 15th January 2020, 01:43 AM   #229
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Right, but a single example is not necessarily representative.

That's just for the RCC.
Old 15th January 2020, 03:58 AM   #230
Mojo
Mostly harmless

That's just for the RCC.

And often unexpected, especially in Spain.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 05:10 AM   #231
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I didn't lie to my son when he asked about me not going to church or believing. He has to go because mom makes him but isn't a believer even at 9 years old.
It is just more stuff to do, illogical stuff.

I told him the classes end in june and he was thrilled. He has no concept of faith as a guiding force in life.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 07:19 AM   #232
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Well this one time my son asked, "Daddy, what's your favorite thing to do with Mommy". In that case lying was good for everyone.
No need to lie, just honestly relate alternate facts.
Old 15th January 2020, 07:26 AM   #233
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
With a young kid in the house, surely the honest answer would be "sleep"
Old 15th January 2020, 02:53 PM   #234
Thor 2
Philosopher

I don't know how you can be "pretty sure".

Tertullian is a respected father of the church although there is a cloud over him because of some heresy he may have been guilty of. He never got to be a saint as a result, but still may have made the grade and entered Heaven, after a stint in Purgatory I suppose. Probably getting his rocks off gazing down at the poor bastards writhing in agony in Hell now.

Saint Augustine did get the nod for sainthood, so I would suspect his views would be regarded as being without blemish. He had a similar optimistic view about the pleasures on offer in Heaven to Tertullian.
Old 15th January 2020, 03:56 PM   #235
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DOC View Post
I realize that the Greek and subsequent Roman gods of antiquity could be interesting to read about but the growth of Christianity pretty much put them on the ash heap of history.

One of the reasons why that happened can maybe be explained by what Thomas Jefferson said about this person (Christ) that Christians believe is God in the flesh.

Jefferson said this about the teachings of Christ:

"{they're} the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man."

So maybe it might be better to tell your kids about a possible God who offered humanity what Jefferson said were the most sublime and benevolent code of morals ever offered.

And yes I know Jefferson had the opinion that the miracles of Christ could not be supported by reason but then again I have a feeling Jefferson (who could read Greek French and Latin), didn't believe in the existence of the Greek gods either. So given the choice, why not go with a god that some say offered the most sublime and benevolent code of morals ever given humanity and also go with a god that is still relevant in our society today unlike the Greek gods.
This is amusing. I intentionally refused to pass on my atheism to my kids. Who am I to impose my position on them.

I was rather proud when they came to me with atheism. They reached that all of their lonesome. I can still recall their uncertaintity when they saw fit to reveal their lack of belief, and their relief when they found that we shared that position.

Weirdly enough, we now read the bible together. And laugh at it.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 05:59 PM   #236
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Still exists in the Holy Roman church, but has no effect on other christian sects.
That's just for the RCC.
Yes, I was indeed referring specifically to the Roman Catholic Church:

- Randall Munroe

Last edited by arthwollipot; 15th January 2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 15th January 2020, 06:02 PM   #237
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I don't know how you can be "pretty sure".

Tertullian is a respected father of the church although there is a cloud over him because of some heresy he may have been guilty of. He never got to be a saint as a result, but still may have made the grade and entered Heaven, after a stint in Purgatory I suppose. Probably getting his rocks off gazing down at the poor bastards writhing in agony in Hell now.

Saint Augustine did get the nod for sainthood, so I would suspect his views would be regarded as being without blemish. He had a similar optimistic view about the pleasures on offer in Heaven to Tertullian.
I didn't ask whether he was respected. I asked whether his writings were considered representative of the current doctrine of morality in the church.

- Randall Munroe
Old 16th January 2020, 12:31 AM   #238
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yes, I was indeed referring specifically to the Roman Catholic Church:
Which catholicism?
Old 16th January 2020, 12:33 AM   #239
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I didn't ask whether he was respected. I asked whether his writings were considered representative of the current doctrine of morality in the church.
And as was mentioned there are definitely still chrisitan denominations that share his theology, you even mentioned one yourself.
Old 16th January 2020, 02:09 PM   #240
Thor 2
Philosopher

Yes it would be nice to have that "current doctrine of morality" clearly defined and nailed down. Perhaps you could have a go at it by drawing on your "pretty sure" instinct.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy