ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th February 2020, 02:38 PM   #41
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Since when as idiots being anti-immigration qualified them as being Nazis?
Sweden was full of Nazis before the war and were Nazis in every way, shape, and form during WW2 except they were the gutless type who didn't actually go to war. Maybe the poster is somehow arguing that because the country and forefathers of the current crop of homegrown Swedes were all Nazi scum - they must all be Nazi scum too?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 12th February 2020 at 02:40 PM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:04 PM   #42
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Since when as idiots being anti-immigration qualified them as being Nazis?
When they are posting on neo-nazi forums such as the Northern Front and 4Chan?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:16 PM   #43
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Which part of 4Chan?

I think you need to read a bit more on what it is
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:17 PM   #44
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

No, no, no! The people posting there are just ordinary "idiots being anti-immigration."
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:19 PM   #45
dann
Philosopher

Which part of 4Chan?

And don't forget: Which part of Northern Front! I think you need to read a bit more on what it is!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:20 PM   #46
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Seems to me to me that the same group of posters who deny the existence of racism, no matter the evidence, in the "...while Black" threads have arrived here to deny any Nazis/Right Wingers were upset by the ad.

Apparently they are so convinced that such people and motivations do not exist that they apply levels of "skepticism" that would similarly deny that there is evidence of gravity. How could such folks exist? Inconceivable! to quote "The Princess Bride.

Last edited by Giordano; 12th February 2020 at 03:22 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:20 PM   #47
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Sweden was full of Nazis before the war and were Nazis in every way, shape, and form during WW2 except they were the gutless type who didn't actually go to war. Maybe the poster is somehow arguing that because the country and forefathers of the current crop of homegrown Swedes were all Nazi scum - they must all be Nazi scum too?

So you also know nothing about Nazis in Sweden, but that's OK. You can learn a lot from Wikipedia: Nazism in Sweden: First period
I love your strawman! Did you come up with it yourself or did somebody help you?
Old 12th February 2020, 03:21 PM   #48
carlitos
"más divertido"

No True NaziTM
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:22 PM   #49
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Which part of 4Chan?

The parts where they think that there is a Jewish Conspiracy to destroy the white race?

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:23 PM   #50
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Seems to me to me that the same group of posters who deny the existence of racism, no matter the evidence, in the "...while Black" threads have arrived here to deny any Nazis/Right Wingers were upset by the ad.

Yes, but I think the first two gave up already.
Old 12th February 2020, 03:23 PM   #51
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by dann View Post
And don't forget: Which part of Northern Front! I think you need to read a bit more on what it is!
I haven't a post on here saying the two you posted Soeren Espersen or Richard Jomshof post on the Northern Front.

Please provide evidence
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:23 PM   #52
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Good posters on both sides...

Old 12th February 2020, 03:29 PM   #53
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post

Apparently they are so convinced that such people and motivations do not exist that they apply levels of "skepticism" that would similarly deny that there is evidence of gravity. How could such folks exist? Inconceivable! to quote "The Princess Bride.
I don't deny racism exists and I don't deny some Nazi types don't like the ad.

I

Old 12th February 2020, 03:31 PM   #54
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

So you also know nothing about Nazis in Sweden, but that's OK. You can learn a lot from Wikipedia: Nazism in Sweden: First period
I love your strawman! Did you come up with it yourself or did somebody help you?
It was an exaggeration. You know - like you are doing in this whole thread.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:37 PM   #55
dann
Philosopher

Scandinavian Airlines are doubling down:

Quote:
- We regret nothing. We are completely behind the values we have presented the whole time, the head of press adds and says that more versions are on the way.
SAS om omdiskuteret reklame: 'Vi står fuldstændig på mål for de budskaber' (DR.dk, Feb. 12, 2020)

So congratulations, Nazi scum! With your campaign you have managed to make people sympathize with the airline, which doesn't seem to fear your boycot threats at all. On the contrary, it has given SAS favorable publicity.
I look forward to traveling on Nazi-free planes in the future!
Old 12th February 2020, 03:41 PM   #56
dann
Philosopher

It was an exaggeration.

Yes, it was! A grotesque exaggeration and as far from the truth as it could possibly be:

Sweden was full of Nazis before the war and were Nazis in every way, shape, and form during WW2 ...
Old 12th February 2020, 03:50 PM   #57
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Sweden "Neurality" had a definite pro German tilt.until 1942 when it became clear who was going to win the war...
but the what the hell does this have to do with Denmark?

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 12th February 2020 at 03:52 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:52 PM   #58
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I wish I had a English translation of the ad....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:54 PM   #59
dann
Philosopher

Most of it is in English - one version has Danish subtitles.
Old 12th February 2020, 03:57 PM   #60
Stout
Illuminator

That has got to be the greatest anti-tourism ad I've ever seen. I was thinking Scandinavia but further research on what is, and what isn't Scandinavian has revealed some ugly truths.

The Swedish Chef isn't real
The Swedish Bikini Team is American
Greta Thunberg ? A Canadian did it first.
PewDiePie moved to England.
There's a local IKEA
The ABBA people are old and wrinkly now
It's really freakin' cold in those ice hotels
Norwegians=The Borg
Vikings is filmed in Ireland
There appears to be Nazis everywhere

Off my bucket list.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 04:05 PM   #61
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And Sweden "Neurality" had a definite pro German tilt.until 1942 when it became clear who was going to win the war...
but the what the hell does this have to do with Denmark?

It's Scandinavian Airlines, not Danish or Swedish Airlines. By the way, a lot of the so-called nationalist conservatives in both Denmark and Sweden stopped sympathizing with Hitler after the occupation of Denmark and Norway. And even during the occupation of Denmark, the Danish Nazis remained without influence:

Quote:
At the height of its popularity, the DNSAP had about 20,000 members and 20,000 sympathizers. However, the party fared relatively poorly in the 1939 elections, winning only three seats in the Folketing. A year later, when Germany invaded Denmark, Clausen became a strong supporter of the German occupation and took credit for the lenient way in which Germany governed the country.
The Germans attempted to reward Clausen for his services by trying to persuade King Christian X to let Clausen and his followers have roles in the nation's government in 1940 and 1943, but the King opposed any such suggestions. Much to Clausen's chagrin, the German government was unwilling to forcibly put him in charge of Denmark for fear of angering its people, although there were talks of doing so in 1940 and 1942. The Germans did hope, however, that Clausen would legally seize power over the nation in the 1943 elections, but the DNSAP performed just as poorly in the elections as it did in 1939, once again winning only three seats in the Folketing.
Frits Clausen (Wikipedia)

In Sweden, too, the Nazis never really gained any parliamentary influence. And when the Danes helped their Jewish compatriots escape in 1943 (Wikipedia), Sweden took them in.
Old 12th February 2020, 04:12 PM   #62
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
That has got to be the greatest anti-tourism ad I've ever seen. I was thinking Scandinavia but further research on what is, and what isn't Scandinavian has revealed some ugly truths.

The Swedish Chef isn't real
The Swedish Bikini Team is American
Greta Thunberg ? A Canadian did it first.
PewDiePie moved to England.
There's a local IKEA
The ABBA people are old and wrinkly now
It's really freakin' cold in those ice hotels
Norwegians=The Borg
Vikings is filmed in Ireland
There appears to be Nazis everywhere

Off my bucket list.

And ABBA were only popular in Australia anyway: What made Australians the world's most feverish Abba fans? (Sydney Morning Herald)
And you forgot to mention Ace of Base: Turns Out '90s Swedish Pop Group Ace Of Base Had A Secret Neo-Nazi Past (Ranker)
Old 12th February 2020, 04:19 PM   #63
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Mission accomplished I guess.

They got people to share the ad and discuss it on social media.

Also, a textbook example of poisoning the well. Preemptively accuse anyone who might not like the ad of being a Nazi. Can't possibly be any legitimate basis for criticism, right? Like maybe the fact that it's an airline and airplanes contribute to global warming. Let's change the topic to something else, right? So we don't have to confront what we're doing to the planet.
Old 12th February 2020, 04:32 PM   #64
Stout
Illuminator

ABBA were ( and still are ) popular everywhere. They're like Simon and Garfunkle, everybody loves them even if they won't admit to it.

What's SAS doing advertising anyway ? Haven't they head about climate change and Flygskam ? Maybe these Nazis are really environmental activists ?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 04:58 PM   #65
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Mission accomplished I guess.

They got people to share the ad and discuss it on social media.

Also, a textbook example of poisoning the well. Preemptively accuse anyone who might not like the ad of being a Nazi. Can't possibly be any legitimate basis for criticism, right? Like maybe the fact that it's an airline and airplanes contribute to global warming. Let's change the topic to something else, right? So we don't have to confront what we're doing to the planet.

Um, no. The claim was that the people who were leading the outrage against the ad were Nazis, not that they were Nazis because they were outraged by the ad. And their criticisms line up with their Nazi beliefs.

What a weird dismissal. 'If you accuse Nazis of being Nazis you're calling everyone who doesn't like the ad of being a Nazi'. Naw.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 05:05 PM   #66
Arcade22
Philosopher

Russian trolls, useful idiots and their anti-western far-right allies just love to bash Sweden and naturally pounce on stuff like this just to "prove" what a truly horrible country it is.
Old 12th February 2020, 05:37 PM   #67
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Scandinavian Airlines are doubling down:

So congratulations, Nazi scum! With your campaign you have managed to make people sympathize with the airline, which doesn't seem to fear your boycot threats at all. On the contrary, it has given SAS favorable publicity.
I look forward to traveling on Nazi-free planes in the future!

This is something which has a certain amount of promise to it.

Done right, we could get all the neo-Nazis to boycott everywhere decent people wanted to go.

Unless, of course, the neo-Nazis were lying, hypocritical scum.

Oh well. So much for that idea.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 07:19 PM   #68
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I'd be upset by any commercial that's two minutes and forty seconds long.

No wonder the nazis object to it. Hitler had plenty of faults, but he wouldn't have let advertisers or networks air quintuple-length commercials. Just sayin'.
Old 12th February 2020, 07:58 PM   #69
Baylor
Philosopher

I think the SAS ad is quite good, but I also liked the Gillette ad.
Who cucks wins.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 09:48 PM   #70
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It did not appear to me that that was what they did, though. They identified the Scandinavian talent for absorbing things and making them Scandinavian, mocking the idea that the origin is the most important thing. I have no idea who was actually offended, but I'm guessing the most likely candidates would be people who decry assimilation.
I know these people - they march in the streets carrying cheap wicker tiki torches they bought at Walmart for $3.99, and chant things like "The Jews will not replace us."

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th February 2020 at 09:50 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:56 PM   #71
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

I think it's a great ad. Good photography, good editing, insightful narration. I would say it has a subtext, "Celebrate diversity." If that bothers you, don't travel. Anywhere.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 12:55 AM   #72
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Well, some of the Swedish Nazis did go to war, fighting as volunteers in the Waffen-SS. For example, the founder of the party who's top brass is quoted above decrying the ad.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 02:12 AM   #73
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Who cucks wins.

In your dreams, Baylor!

Quote:
According to Justin Lehmiller’s book, “Tell Me What You Want,” that studied 4,000 sexual fantasies, cuckolding fantasies were more common among Republicans.
All the Real ’Cucks’ Are in the Republican Party (Democracy Guardian, Mar. 8, 2019)

Quote:
I surveyed 4,175 adult Americans from all 50 states about what turns them on and published the findings in a book entitled Tell Me What You Want.
Republicans also reported more fantasies with voyeuristic themes, including visiting strip clubs and practicing something known as “cuckolding,” which involves watching one’s partner have sex with someone else.
Republicans and Democrats Don’t Just Argue about Politics. They Have Different Sexual Fantasies. (Politico Magazine, Oct. 27, 2018)

Quote:
But the greatest irony is how self-defeating cuck is as an emasculating insult. For a man to use cuck is to admit that his entire understanding of masculinity revolves around the actions of women – which turns masculinity into a quality that women, not men, control. Just as a women who uses bitch to insult other women in earnest is, inevitably, also kind of a bitch, a man who accuses another of being a cuck is, inevitably, the most fragile man of all.
Cuckolding’s Wild Journey from Porn to the West Wing (The Cut, April 30, 2017)

Quote:
For those unfamiliar, a cuckold or “cuck” is, in its simplest form, a man whose wife is cheating on him. There are, however, heavy racial connotations to the term, with the “cuck” often portrayed as a weak white man surrendering his wife to a stronger, more powerful black man. The term has since been co-opted by the alt-right movement as a blanket insult for less overtly racist Republicans and RINOs, otherwise known as “cuckservatives.”
Yet despite their distaste for the cuck cowards of the world, for some reason, it really gets Republicans off. According to xHamster, “Of all the [red] states, the most viewed categories were “Cuckold” and “Mature.”
Report: Republicans Get Hard for Cucks (Gawker, July 14, 2016)

Quote:
You’ve probably never heard of Bella and the Bulldogs, a relatively new show on Nickelodeon about a perky cheerleader-turned-quarterback. It’s fairly popular among tweens and has just been renewed for a second season. It’s also popular among infuriated, far right-wing racists, who have become positively obsessed with the show’s supposedly anti-white “race cuckoldry.”
Internet Racists Are Obsessed with Nickelodeon’s Show about “Cuckoldry” (Gawker, July 8, 2015)

I never heard about the series Bella and the Bulldogs till now, but then I never watch Nickelodeon. Is it good, Baylor?!
Old 13th February 2020, 02:18 AM   #74
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Just read a good opinion piece on this in Swedish media. It made an excellent point that I think is applicable here as well.

In the frenzy that follows this fake culture war battle, where people rush to dig trenches in a completely made up battle, instigated by fascists, the real story is forgotten: SAS is in a business that is bad for the environment. They have also recently announced plans to form a low-price daughter company in Ireland with crew and staff taken from Eastern Europe in order to pay them lower wages, thus pushing down wages for existing employees in the mother company. Nobody is outraged over this except for the current employees. Instead, we're busy fighting off the latest fascist attack on freedom of expression.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 02:24 AM   #75
dann
Philosopher

Scandinavian airline ad pulled after online criticism (BBC, Feb. 12, 2020)
Nordic Airline SAS Cans Ad After Online Hate Campaign (NYT/Reuters, Feb. 12, 2020)
Scandinavian Airlines pulls 'self-hating' advert as trolls hijack message (New Zealand Herald, Feb. 13, 2020)
SAS Re-Launches 'Disgusting' Ad Amid Mounting Controversy – Video (Sputnik News, Feb. 13, 2020)
Old 13th February 2020, 02:27 AM   #76
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Spot the propaganda.

Old 13th February 2020, 02:30 AM   #77
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Just read a good opinion piece on this in Swedish media. It made an excellent point that I think is applicable here as well.

In the frenzy that follows this fake culture war battle, where people rush to dig trenches in a completely made up battle, instigated by fascists, the real story is forgotten: SAS is in a business that is bad for the environment. They have also recently announced plans to form a low-price daughter company in Ireland with crew and staff taken from Eastern Europe in order to pay them lower wages, thus pushing down wages for existing employees in the mother company. Nobody is outraged over this except for the current employees. Instead, we're busy fighting off the latest fascist attack on freedom of expression.

That is a very good point, uke2se. And the only concern of the fascists will probably be that the low-wage employees are foreigners who don't deserve to be employed by a Scandinavian company.
Do you have a link to the "good opinion piece on this in Swedish media"?!
Old 13th February 2020, 02:44 AM   #78
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

That is a very good point, uke2se. And the only concern of the fascists will probably be that the low-wage employees are foreigners who don't deserve to be employed by a Scandinavian company.
https://www.aftonbladet.se/kultur/a/...tat-kulturkrig

Old 13th February 2020, 02:50 AM   #79
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No idea where you live but here we have a left wing govt made up of to major parties and a green party.

The PM is the current lovey of world politics and "caring"

Jacinda Ardern

Before they were elected both the main two current govt parties campaigned on slashing immigration.

I think they were wrong on this. But don't think Ardern is a nazi

Last edited by cullennz; 13th February 2020 at 03:00 AM.
Old 13th February 2020, 03:02 AM   #80
dann
Philosopher

A good article! I don't know if Google Translate will make version that can be understood by native speakers of English. But the reaction from the chairman of the Swedish airplane pilots union is scary:

Quote:
I en kommentar till Expressen säger ordföranden för SAS-sektionen på svensk Pilotförening att ”reaktionerna från våra kunder (…) visar att man uppskattar och bryr sig om det skandinaviska varumärket. Vi delar deras uppfattning att med irländska flygplan, spanska piloter och baltisk kabinpersonal så känns det skandinaviska allt mer avlägset”.

He seems to agree with the fascists: "Vi delar deras (!!!) uppfattning ..."
'Make Scandinavian Airlines Scandinavian again!'
Does he actually think that the hate campaign = "reaktionerna från våra kunder"?!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events