ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th February 2020, 07:18 AM   #41
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Florida's open government laws make information much more readily available to the media, so events in the state are publicized more often.
That's it. If you look around your State, these things happen every day.

Remember the time a kook drove through a voter registration booth in your State, and all the other daily tales flowing out of the Sunshine State? No? Well, shame on your reporters for not noticing these extremely public and outrageous stories. The journalists must have been on statewide coffee break.

Maybe it's a conspiracy of The Other 47 Big/Local Media. Yeah, that's it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 07:21 AM   #42
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"Florida man drives into group of Trump supporters"

Really, is that what actually happened?

I'm not saying what happened wasn't bad, it was, but William Parcher, please stop using the dishonest practice of giving your threads misleading titles.

"Florida man drives into group of Trump supporters" creats visions of a vehicle ploughing into people in the street like the Charlottesville murderer did.
With all of the daily mail links, he probably copies most of this nonsense from drudge report links. It wouldn't be a stretch that those are the actual misleading headlines from drudge.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 07:33 AM   #43
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Motivation is unknown at this time but lots of partisan speculation anyway.

Regardless of motivation this ******* needs to be taken out of circulation for a long time.
Considering he didn't hit anyone I'd say he'll get less than 5 years. I'm not sure if there's a felony charge that I saw, but even if that were the case it would be within the 5 year range. No one killed, no one hurt. If he gets more than probation I'd be pretty shocked.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 08:59 AM   #44
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

It's that time again. Open white nationalists where marching in the streets again, so the usual propagandists have to point out how leftists are the real violent ones. Andy Ngo and other "journalists" are firing up the propaganda mill.

100 masked members of Patriot Front, an openly neo-fascist organization, marched on DC this weekend.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN20301H

Patriot Front is largely a rebranding of Vanguard America, which broke up after the UTR terrorist attack.

So yeah, the left is the real danger here. Some guy ran over a tailgate tent with his car.

Pay no attention to the masked brownshirts marching and chanting fascist slogans.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 10th February 2020 at 09:01 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 10:18 AM   #45
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's that time again. Open white nationalists where marching in the streets again, so the usual propagandists have to point out how leftists are the real violent ones. Andy Ngo and other "journalists" are firing up the propaganda mill.

100 masked members of Patriot Front, an openly neo-fascist organization, marched on DC this weekend.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN20301H

Patriot Front is largely a rebranding of Vanguard America, which broke up after the UTR terrorist attack.

So yeah, the left is the real danger here. Some guy ran over a tailgate tent with his car.

Pay no attention to the masked brownshirts marching and chanting fascist slogans.
Hard to imagine what goes on in their heads when they realize they are being protected by armed black cops very close to them, and white people giving them the finger from the sidelines. Gotta be some world class cognitive dissonance going on there.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 10:39 AM   #46
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Hard to imagine what goes on in their heads when they realize they are being protected by armed black cops very close to them, and white people giving them the finger from the sidelines. Gotta be some world class cognitive dissonance going on there.
Ability to compartmentalize and ignore things has never been something humanity has struggled with.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 10:53 AM   #47
Donal
Illuminator

I am glad no one was hurt and I hope he gets whatever sentence he deserves or help he needs.
Old 13th February 2020, 10:14 PM   #48
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Vile. If this keeps up a Trump supporter might actually be killed. We shouldn't be attacking the people or the process with violence.

That's been the Trumper job. Leave it to them.
You're still at it with this tired old canard?

I remember giving you over a dozen examples of violence against Trump supporters in a different thread some time ago. Did you forget about them?

I'll give you a few more examples of non-Trumpers committing violence against "Trumpers" to prove that you are lying.

15-year-old Trump supporter slapped in the face by an anti-Trumper who also fractured the jaw of an adult Trump supporter.

67-year-old man has his MAGA hat knocked off and is spat on.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:25 PM   #49
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
He certainly appears in tents.
Don't worry, sphenisc. I got it.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 11:15 PM   #50
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I am finding it a bit tedious how some posters can go completely off topic like this and it just gets ignored while you get multiple posts deleted on other threads.
Did you report it as off-topic? The mods are unlikely to act on anything without a report.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 11:37 PM   #51
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Did you report it as off-topic? The mods are unlikely to act on anything without a report.
No. Fair point to be fair. Don't think I have ever reported a post. Just figured there were people reading given the amount of crap I get in my skeptics inbox about moves.

How do you do it?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 03:40 AM   #52
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a "false flag" attack staged by some pro-Trump group.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 04:04 AM   #53
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
You're still at it with this tired old canard?

I remember giving you over a dozen examples of violence against Trump supporters in a different thread some time ago. Did you forget about them?

I'll give you a few more examples of non-Trumpers committing violence against "Trumpers" to prove that you are lying.

15-year-old Trump supporter slapped in the face by an anti-Trumper who also fractured the jaw of an adult Trump supporter.

67-year-old man has his MAGA hat knocked off and is spat on.
I'll see your slap and hat knock and raise you

mass shootings

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/di...ture-maga-hat/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/u...shootings.html

pipe bombers

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/n...e-bombing.html

encouraged by Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...sidents-resort

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/12/opini...nce/index.html

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/t...ting-1.7622791

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/u...y-clinton.html

https://abcnews.go.com/US/verbal-tau...ry?id=62778248

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/back...ry?id=48415766
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 05:26 AM   #54
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Attempted murder is the least of his crimes. That haircut...Florida still has the death penalty, right?

I'm surprised it took this long for somebody to imitate the Brienne-of-Tarth look.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

But you're right. He should have put more effort into trying to get the hair right.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 15th February 2020 at 05:29 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 03:06 AM   #55
Ron Obvious
Scholar

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if this was a "false flag" attack staged by some pro-Trump group.
Come on; that's delusional. This is supposed to be sceptics' site.

If you read widely enough, you'll realise that "both" sides demonises and tells the same sort of delusional conspiracy nonsense about the "the other". I'm not saying it's equivalent, but a lot of it is startlingly similar.

Change all the party affiliations in the original story, and you'll get the same sort of false flag nonsense from the Republicans.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 08:42 PM   #56
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
No. Fair point to be fair. Don't think I have ever reported a post. Just figured there were people reading given the amount of crap I get in my skeptics inbox about moves.

How do you do it?
How do you report a post? Bottom left corner. Little triangle with a ! inside it.

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events