ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Aaron Zelinsky , donald trump , Jonathan Kravis , roger stone , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 13th February 2020, 09:15 AM   #81
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Yes. He can blow off all criticism for a month, then have Trump block his testimony the night before and tell Congress to go **** themselves all while "cooperating." You don't think he's actually sincere about testifying, do you?
Also, on that day, the Supreme Court might make a decision about Trump's tax returns. Barr wants to draw attention away from that.
Old 13th February 2020, 09:25 AM   #82
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

Now it looks like the fore person in the jury, in the Roger Stone case, had significant bias. Add that to everything else, and this is not looking good for the “Justice” Department. @foxandfriends @FoxNews
On the Alex Jones show when they were still selecting the jury for this trial, on the air Jones "identified" and named the foreperson of the jury as someone who worked under the Obama administration. That person ended up not even being on the jury at all, and they weren't in the same position that Jones identified. I wonder if this latest mess is related to that?

ETA - we now live in a world where the sitting President of the United States is using scare quotes around "Justice" Department.

Last edited by carlitos; 13th February 2020 at 09:26 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:08 AM   #83
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Quote:
Trump Tweeted

Now it looks like the fore person in the jury, in the Roger Stone case, had significant bias. Add that to everything else, and this is not looking good for the “Justice” Department. @foxandfriends @FoxNews
On the Alex Jones show when they were still selecting the jury for this trial, on the air Jones "identified" and named the foreperson of the jury as someone who worked under the Obama administration. That person ended up not even being on the jury at all, and they weren't in the same position that Jones identified. I wonder if this latest mess is related to that?
I don't listen to Alex Jones, so I'm not sure if this is the same case or not...

Supposedly, Stone's lawyers request a retrial because one of the jury members worked for the IRS on tax cases. However, the judge had determined that there was no reason to suspect bias (and the person would not have been working on any cases that would have involved Stone).

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/12/polit...ial/index.html

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:26 AM   #84
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Why can't a guy just leave well enough alone and wait for the wheels of justice to spin and then pardon him or whatever.

Doesn't he have a wall to build, I can send him a bag of hammers.

And some pesos.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:41 AM   #85
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I don't listen to Alex Jones, so I'm not sure if this is the same case or not...

Supposedly, Stone's lawyers request a retrial because one of the jury members worked for the IRS on tax cases. However, the judge had determined that there was no reason to suspect bias (and the person would not have been working on any cases that would have involved Stone).

Thanks. Different person, same type of objection. More than 10% of jobs in the DC area are with the federal government, and a jury has 12 members. Go figure.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:53 AM   #86
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a little bit more of the trial request and juror issue...

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/12/trum...on-pardon.html
Quote:
Stone had argued that the juror “should have been removed for bias” because the juror “is employed in a division of the Internal Revenue Service ‘that works hand-in-hand with the Department of Justice prosecuting criminal tax matters,’” and because they ”‘violated the Court’s order to avoid media coverage of the case,’” Jackson wrote. The judge noted that there was nothing in the juror’s questionnaire or their testimony to support Stone’s claim that they work on “on criminal matters or interacts with the Department of Justice at all....”... Jackson took a shot at Stone’s attorney for not researching the background of the juror, who, the judge wrote, works on ”’civil tax administration, mainly for large and international businesses, and they do not even refer matters to the” Justice Department.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 11:08 AM   #87
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Cry me a river, the defendant stuck 54 jurors for cause and he didn't get this one?

bottom of page 6

https://www.scribd.com/document/4468...or-New-Trial-1

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 12:38 PM   #88
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I think Joe is right - trolling. And a distraction. Which makes me wonder what he's trying to distract us from.
He simply has no self control, he just reacted.
Old 13th February 2020, 12:40 PM   #89
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
He simply has no self control, he just reacted.
Yea it seems weird that people still think there is a sophisticated mind behind everything. There isn't this is pure lack of impulse control.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 12:40 PM   #90
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

DC isn't Trump country. Every jury ever assembled in that city is going to have people who are ambivalent, if not outright hostile, to Trump.

Trump assumes that every jury that isn't assembled from MAGA cultists is an unfair one.
Old 13th February 2020, 03:24 PM   #91
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Barr has said that Trump's tweets make it impossible for him to do his job
Old 13th February 2020, 03:25 PM   #92
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Yeah, paper protest from Barr. Nothing behind it or he'd have quit already.

Just trying to make a smokescreen while he shovels s*** for the boss.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 03:30 PM   #93
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Barr has said that Trump's tweets make it impossible for him to do his job
Quote:
Yeah, paper protest from Barr. Nothing behind it or he'd have quit already.
Actually I think Barr is being honest here.

His job is to enable Trump's corruption. But Trump the tweets makes it harder for Barr to hide it.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th February 2020, 04:53 PM   #94
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

His job is to enable Trump's corruption. But Trump the tweets makes it harder for Barr to hide it.
I think you hit the nail on the head there.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 06:19 PM   #95
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This, I think Barr is genuinely angry at Trump''s stupidity. THe kind of thing Trump is trying to do you do in private, behind closed doors. You don't do it in front of God and everybody.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 09:29 PM   #96
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Slightly OT:

I looked up sentencing guidelines....
RS was convicted on 5 counts of making false statements to Congress.

The guideline is:

7-9 years is not unreasonable.
I think one of the other things that went into the sentencing recommendation is the fact that Stone 1) Broke a gag order while awaiting trial, and 2) did so by posting a picture of the judge with 'crosshairs' (which could be seen as inciting violence)
As meager as it is, 5 years for each count would still be 25 years. And it should be hard time, no parole or "good time" service reductions. Lying to Congress and obstructing justice should be dealt with harshly.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 09:32 PM   #97
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
There is no question of being allowed to do anything. Federal Judges are pretty much free to sentence as they like within the guidelines of the Law, regardless of the Prosecution's recommendation.
Every other norm of society has been crapped on. Why would an independent judiciary be any different?

All of our institutions have failed us. The US has no legitimate government.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 09:50 PM   #98
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Then he should quit - what a crybaby.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 13th February 2020 at 10:49 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:48 PM   #99
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This. The "job" Barr is referring to is protecting the president. He's certainly not referring to his job as the chief law enforcement officer of the United States.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:21 AM   #100
Cain
Straussian

When Barr's asked about Trump's corruption.

Last edited by Cain; 14th February 2020 at 12:23 AM. Reason: I don't know what that lady actually asked him. And it's not as though I don't care BECAUSE she's female. She's also Black.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:47 AM   #101
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
This, I think Barr is genuinely angry at Trump''s stupidity. THe kind of thing Trump is trying to do you do in private, behind closed doors.
Indeed. Why didn't Trump have the good sense of Loretta Lynch?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 01:17 AM   #102
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Indeed. Why didn't Trump have the good sense of Loretta Lynch?
Or Barr for that matter.
Old 14th February 2020, 01:47 AM   #103
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
As meager as it is, 5 years for each count would still be 25 years. And it should be hard time, no parole or "good time" service reductions. Lying to Congress and obstructing justice should be dealt with harshly.
This article argues that what Barr has done is to eliminate the recommendations connected to the threats of violence.

It's worth bearing in mind, though, that the author is not herself a lawyer.
Old 14th February 2020, 02:22 AM   #104
KDLarsen
Illuminator

That's something I don't understand. AFAIK Barr was totally willing to blow off the House in impeachment hearings (actually I'm not really sure how much the House pursued him). But then Nadler says, "come over, we want to ask you some questions about what may be unethical behavior in the Stone case, " and he just days "sure" and it's penciled in for next month?

Does Barr think this will be good for the Trump administration?
Keep in mind, the last time Barr subjected himself to open questions, it resulted in in exchanges like this:
Quote:
“Has the president or anyone at the White House ever asked or suggested that you open an investigation of anyone? Yes or no, please, sir,” Harris, the former California attorney general, asked Barr.

“Seems you would remember something like that and be able to tell us,” Harris said.

Barr told Harris that he was trying to “grapple with the word ‘suggest.’” The White House, he said, had not asked him to open an investigation.

“Perhaps they have suggested?” Harris asked.

“I don’t know. I wouldn’t say ‘suggest,’” Barr said.

“Hinted?” Harris asked.

“I don’t know,” Barr said.
I'd bet a dollar or two this is going to more of the same.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 03:18 AM   #105
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
I'd bet a dollar or two this is going to more of the same.
Absolutely. There is, after all, no penalty for lying or being evasive in testimony.
Old 14th February 2020, 11:24 AM   #106
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I don't read a lot of CNN but this got me to click:

Barr 's stunning Trump rebuke sparks debate over his true motives
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/polit...stice-loyalty/

What I wonder is, even if it were a fully vetted stunt, might Trump get offended anyway and start tweeting attacks on Barr?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 11:48 AM   #107
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I don't read a lot of CNN but this got me to click:

Barr 's stunning Trump rebuke sparks debate over his true motives
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/polit...stice-loyalty/

What I wonder is, even if it were a fully vetted stunt, might Trump get offended anyway and start tweeting attacks on Barr?
I don't have the link to hand and I can't remember whether he tweeted it or said it in an interview, but Trump has already said that it's perfectly fine and Barr is still his bestie.

[Edit]Here you go: https://twitter.com/PaulaReidCBS/sta...90144932143104

Quote:
JUST IN: WH reax to Barr interview 👀
Quote embedded in tweet.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:02 PM   #108
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have the link to hand and I can't remember whether he tweeted it or said it in an interview, but Trump has already said that it's perfectly fine and Barr is still his bestie.

Quote embedded in tweet.
Yeah, I wonder though if Trump will still react reflexively. Just because he was publicly challenged. Though he's allowed Lindsey Graham to get away with a few things.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:04 PM   #109
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I'm calling it. Barr is out within a month. The one thing we know about Trump is that he's full of ****. If he says he's cool with Barr, Barr is doomed. We've see it before.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:05 PM   #110
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Yeah, I wonder though if Trump will still react reflexively. Just because he was publicly challenged. Though he's allowed Lindsey Graham to get away with a few things.

He doesn't have the power to fire Graham. With Barr, he does.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:13 PM   #111
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I'm calling it. Barr is out within a month. The one thing we know about Trump is that he's full of ****. If he says he's cool with Barr, Barr is doomed. We've see it before.
You got a bet.
Trump won't fire Barr unless he got someone even more gelded.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:26 PM   #112
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Fox TV host Lou Dobbs wants Barr fired:
Quote:
Dobbs—a devout Trump supporter—suggested to One America News' Tom Fitton that Barr was allowing the "deep state" to overtake the Justice Department. Link
Dobbs also repeated, everyone at DOJ works for Trump. They're part of the Executive Branch. Dobbs went on to say there has been massive infiltration of the Department of Justice (and the FBI) by the Deep State and that DOJ was "rancid and corrupt." How come the Democrats who tried to take Trump down, Dobbs wonders, how come they're not being indicted?

Answer: 'cause of that doggone Deep State again, that's why!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kool-aid.jpg (102.5 KB, 7 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:48 PM   #113
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
You got a bet.
Trump won't fire Barr unless he got someone even more gelded.
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

If it's being said on Fox News, you know Trump is listening.

Sure, this whole dog&pony show was intended for the masses, but the other thing we know about Trump, besides the fact that he lies, is that he also starts believing his own lies almost immediately. Even if he directly coordinated this whole affair, he'll also completely believe that he and Barr are at odds with each other.
Old 14th February 2020, 01:05 PM   #114
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Quote embedded in tweet.
That's not Trump saying it's okey dokey, it's Stephanie Grisham doing damage control. Trump is undoubtedly steaming. And claiming he has every right to interfere in criminal justice.
Old 15th February 2020, 02:00 AM   #115
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

So he's accusing him of obstruction of "Justice".
Old 15th February 2020, 03:19 AM   #116
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/...665736193?s=20

Quote:
THREAD: What should we make of news that Barr has assigned a team of prosecutors to review “politically sensitive” cases, like Michael Flynn’s?
Old 17th February 2020, 02:38 AM   #117
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/...885850624?s=20

Quote:
�� Barr personally tried to push SDNY away from indicting Turkish bank Halkbank but US Attorney Berman resisted, per CNN.

Same bank case NYT cited—via John Bolton book—as Trump wanting to do favor for Turkey’s Erdogan cabal for Trump’s personal interest.
More in subsequent tweets.

I wonder if Barr should have his own thread? It's hard to keep up with all the different interconnected and related malfeasance of this administration.
Old 17th February 2020, 02:41 AM   #118
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/...885850624?s=20

More in subsequent tweets.

I wonder if Barr should have his own thread? It's hard to keep up with all the different interconnected and related malfeasance of this administration.
bets are Barr will be out before his Testimony.
Old 17th February 2020, 03:41 AM   #119
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It depends, if someone says to Trump (I. e. a commentator on Fox news says it) "Trump looks ridiculous being told off by his DA, only a weak President would let that happen". Barr would be gone in a heartbeat.
Old 17th February 2020, 04:00 AM   #120
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

Dobbs also repeated, everyone at DOJ works for Trump. They're part of the Executive Branch. Dobbs went on to say there has been massive infiltration of the Department of Justice (and the FBI) by the Deep State and that DOJ was "rancid and corrupt." How come the Democrats who tried to take Trump down, Dobbs wonders, how come they're not being indicted?

Answer: 'cause of that doggone Deep State again, that's why!
It's The Apprentice on steroids. Best ratings ever.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics