ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th February 2020, 11:03 AM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"There are too many white people in here"

'There are too many white people in here': Black woman shouts 'this is a space for people of color' at students in multicultural center - before University of Virginia says the facility is open to everyone

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A black student telling white students that 'there are too many white people' in the University of Virginia's multicultural center has sparked a fierce row on social media.

The University of Virginia (UVA) put out a statement asserting that the space was for all students after conservative pundits shared the video of the woman asking her peers to be considerate of the space.

Many predominantly white colleges and universities across the United States have spaces designated as safe spaces for minority students. While these spaces are open to all, they do offer some a unique space to exist in.

In the footage, the woman grabs everyone's attention and then states: 'If you all didn't know, this is an MSC (multicultural student center) and frankly there are just too many white people in here.

'This is a space for people of color, so just be really cognizant of the space you're taking up because it does make some of us POCs feel uncomfortable when we see too many white people in here.'...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ple-color.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (31.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 14th February 2020, 11:08 AM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Well to be fair there probably were too many.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 11:11 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes I wonder if the American university system isn't doing too good a job of preparing minorities to completely fall apart when they encounter the real world.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 11:15 AM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Don't Lett multiculturalism become a Hmongous problem!
Old 14th February 2020, 11:21 AM   #5
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Let’s all make broad generalizations based on an article in the Daily Mail! After all, that's what the 'S' in ISF stands for.
Old 14th February 2020, 11:22 AM   #6
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Honestly, does one person being an arse warrant an international news story?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 11:22 AM   #7
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Well to be fair there probably were too many.
There should be an alarm that goes off when whiteness capacity is exceeded.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 11:24 AM   #8
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
She's a hero, not an arse.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 11:25 AM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The person is a racist caught on camera and that always makes the news.
Old 14th February 2020, 11:52 AM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This. A college student says some really dumb crap. How shocking.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 11:52 AM   #11
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Of course it is. Its the Daily Fail.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 11:58 AM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Click bait. What they publish matters not a whit.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:15 PM   #13
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Don't Lett multiculturalism become a Hmongous problem!
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-hmong/485291/
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 02:02 PM   #14
dann
Philosopher

"There are too many white people in here"
I often feel the same way, but since I'm one of them, I have an easy solution to the problem.
And it's the attitude more than the color that I object to.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 02:30 PM   #15
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I've learnt something from this thread.

I had no idea Americans spelt cognisant with a "z".

Odd bunch. But meet a few cool ones.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 02:49 PM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Same story now being covered by the BBC...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51506733
Old 14th February 2020, 03:13 PM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Same story now being covered by the BBC...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51506733

click bait
Old 14th February 2020, 03:45 PM   #18
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Haha! I thought the thread was about this forum.

Although, I guess it would have said men, not people.
Old 14th February 2020, 04:20 PM   #19
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

So...are we going with #LivingWhileBlack, #BeingNumberousWhileWhite, or #ClickingWhileBaited?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 01:15 AM   #20
Planigale
Illuminator

The racist element is failing to recognise that white people may be members of minority cultures. Perhaps all the white people were romany, jews , muslims, deaf etc.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 06:48 AM   #21
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
The racist element is failing to recognise that white people may be members of minority cultures. Perhaps all the white people were romany, jews , muslims, deaf etc.
Did any in the center have red hair?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 07:41 AM   #22
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The problem is that this is not a 'minority group' center. It is a multicultural center.

But does the woman raise a valid point, historically? Put enough white people together and somebody's culture is getting wiped out.

Old 15th February 2020, 08:30 AM   #23
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

What culture would that be? 2 for $5 Big Macs at McDonald's?

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 09:45 AM   #24
Stout
Illuminator

Well good for her !

When are there stupid entitled white people going to get the message that they're not welcome at diversity centers, no matter how "woke" they claim to be.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 10:03 AM   #25
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Haha! I thought the thread was about this forum.

Although, I guess it would have said men, not people.
That was the impression I got from the thread title too. As far as I can tell, the downslide to this becoming a white sausage fest happened with the "departure" of Rebecca Watson.

Any diversity initiatives in the works. I'd be more than happy to identify as a woman to help with that.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 10:33 AM   #26
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Maybe there were too many Jews in the room, trying to run things like they always do.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 15th February 2020, 10:40 AM   #27
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The problem is that this is not a 'minority group' center. It is a multicultural center.

But does the woman raise a valid point, historically? Put enough white people together and somebody's culture is getting wiped out.
Just have the FOI guard the door. Somebody's culture will be just fine.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 15th February 2020, 12:00 PM   #28
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder -- would "There are too many fat people in here!" have been an acceptable response? Never mind the fact that it would be true almost anywhere you go in America.
Old 15th February 2020, 12:07 PM   #29
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
As far as I can tell, the downslide to this becoming a white sausage fest happened with the "departure" of Rebecca Watson.
How can you even tell who is what? Aside from a few weirdos, all the avatars are ambiguous as to race and gender.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 12:12 PM   #30
catsmate
No longer the 1

Given that the Fail's readership is basically limited to the Dumb, the Desperate and the Deplorable, the incident was chosen to appeal to their racist, Little Englander mentality.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 12:27 PM   #31
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
How can you even tell who is what? Aside from a few weirdos, all the avatars are ambiguous as to race and gender.
I've been here a long time and I read way more than I post. People say things.
Old 15th February 2020, 12:31 PM   #32
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Given that the Fail's readership is basically limited to the Dumb, the Desperate and the Deplorable, the incident was chosen to appeal to their racist, Little Englander mentality.
Given that the story made the BBC then. logically, the same descriptors should be applied to their readership as well.
Old 15th February 2020, 04:34 PM   #33
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Given that the story made the BBC then. logically, the same descriptors should be applied to their readership as well.
I'd be saying that about the staff rather than the readers.

There appears to be an element of "We must be cool" at the Beeb nowadays that I don't recall from the past, which means they feel the need to cover clickbait subjects some of the time.

I'm sure even some of the Beeb's smarter listeners & readers use Farcebook.

The BBC is still one of the most trusted and accurate new sites available, but they can't be right all the time.
Old 15th February 2020, 05:53 PM   #34
Stout
Illuminator

I would have picked the writers as a target as well and looked for any tabloid style misreprentations about the story and gone after those. but it doesn't appear to be the skeptical way anymore. now it's more about the source rather than the content.

I think the BBC is trying to attract a younger demographic and the video in the OP is pretty much porn to the young and woke. We have a black woman, a woman of size laying on some verbal smackdown tho whitey. Highly satisfying if like most young people, you just watch the video portion and ignore the written part.

I think the BBC is alright, one source I use among many. They "miss" things like int heir article about Prince Charles arriving at Davos in an electric Jaguar yet failed to mention that he's flown to Switzerland in a private plane. Every other news outlet had that information yet somehow the BBC "missed" it.
Old 15th February 2020, 06:02 PM   #35
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That was the impression I got from the thread title too. As far as I can tell, the downslide to this becoming a white sausage fest happened with the "departure" of Rebecca Watson.

Any diversity initiatives in the works. I'd be more than happy to identify as a woman to help with that.
The departure of a white heterosexual woman? What, did she take all the POCs with her?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 06:05 PM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

NVMD

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th February 2020 at 06:06 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 08:02 PM   #37
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

"Too many white people? You know what no one ever says? Too few black people." - AJ
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2020, 02:12 AM   #38
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Which sort of begs the question observation: in the long run, all news will trend toward "click bait" rather than "serious news" if that's what the news consumers prefer to click on.

Stories like this exist because stories like this are what many people actually want to read about. The Daily Mail would not exist if there wasn't a large audience for the rubbish they publish.
Old 20th February 2020, 06:22 AM   #39
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Stories like this exist because stories like this are what many people actually want to read about.
Stories like this exist because a significant segment of our culture believes that (voluntary) racial segregation is sometimes a good idea, especially for young people.

That strikes me as newsworthy, but to each his or her own.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2020, 02:18 PM   #40
carlitos
"más divertido"

Quote:
'This is a space for people of color, so just be really cognizant of the space you're taking up because it does make some of us POCs feel uncomfortable when we see too many white people in here.'...
She misspelled POS.

I actually thought that "safe spaces" was just a talking point / metaphor. They literally have "safe spaces" for "people of color" to congregate? That sounds insane.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events