IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 10:02 AM   #1
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Will Trump See Covid-19 as an Opportunity?

I'm not thinking of a business opportunity. The virus is probably going to affect the whole tourist and hospitality industry negatively: travel agencies, airlines, cruise lines, theme parks and hotels.
We also know that he has no idea whatsoever what a virus or a pandemic is.
But he has already stated several times that he might try to stay in office if he is not reelected in November.
Declaring a state of emergency could be the way for him to cancel or postpone the primaries as well as the presidential election altogether - at least until a vaccine is ready if it ever is.
Having to cancel his own ego-boosting rallies might be the only thing preventing him from doing so.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 10:06 AM   #2
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Step away from the koolaid.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 10:07 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I'm not thinking of a business opportunity. The virus is probably going to affect the whole tourist and hospitality industry negatively: travel agencies, airlines, cruise lines, theme parks and hotels.
But he has already stated several times that he might try to stay in office if he is not reelected in November.
Declaring a state of emergency could be the way for him to cancel or postpone the primaries as well as the presidential election altogether - at least until a vaccine is ready if it ever is.
Having to cancel his own ego-boosting rallies might be the only thing preventing him from doing so.
What if the CDC actually recommends postponing elections due to risk of contagion?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 10:09 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Last thing Republicans want is more people voting by mail.
Much harder to harass voters or keep impossible voting hours.
Old 26th February 2020, 10:09 AM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What if the CDC actually recommends postponing elections due to risk of contagion?
Isn't the CDC down to three interns working out of a Starbucks? Nobody ever listens to the CDC, especially these days.
Old 26th February 2020, 10:24 AM   #6
eeyore1954
Philosopher

I suspect he is working with Putin to bring the virus to the US and then he will declare himself dictator for life.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 10:29 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I suspect he is working with Putin to bring the virus to the US and then he will declare himself dictator for life.
Well, it's a possibility as apparently the virus is transmissible by the fecal-oral route.
Old 26th February 2020, 10:32 AM   #8
Belz...
Fiend God

The thing is, that doesn't sound as crazy as it did would have a year ago.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 10:39 AM   #9
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If there is one country I doubt can deal with Corona it's Russia.
Old 26th February 2020, 10:52 AM   #10
Meadmaker

The first time I ever heard about Presidential Derangement Syndrome it was Clinton Derangement Syndrome. However, for the varieties labelled Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Hillary (an honorary title), it was just a mildly sarcastic was of saying, "Oh, get over it. Not everything bad is caused by (insert politician's name here)".

But with Trump Derangement Syndrome, I think it really has reached the level of mental illness for some people.

Is the OP author one of those? Well, that depends. Was the OP meant to be taken seriously? Then yes. The idea that Donald Trump is going to declare himself dictator is simply nuts.

Uhmmmm…..let me revise slightly. The idea that Donald Trump will successfully declare himself dictator is simply nuts. I don't know what goes on in his head. He might just imagine that he could do it, but no. Even with a Coronavirus pandemic going on, there will still be elections, and Donald Trump will still respect the results of those elections.

I shiver to think what he might do during his lame duck period, but come January 20, 2025, there will be a President of the United States, and he won't be named Donald Trump. Hopefully, January 20, 2021, but that's not as easy to foretell.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 10:55 AM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The first time I ever heard about Presidential Derangement Syndrome it was Clinton Derangement Syndrome. However, for the varieties labelled Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Hillary (an honorary title), it was just a mildly sarcastic was of saying, "Oh, get over it. Not everything bad is caused by (insert politician's name here)".

But with Trump Derangement Syndrome, I think it really has reached the level of mental illness for some people.
Gee, if it's true for Trump, it was ten times true for Obama and Hillary.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 11:02 AM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

What are you basing this on? He's said that he wants to stay in the White House and he's floated the idea to get a reaction more than once. It's not like this is some "out of left field" type of idea. Calling someone mentally ill should require them to at least contradict the words spoken by the target of their ire.

Is the OP author one of those? Well, that depends.
His concept is no more crazy than claiming someone is mentally ill without any ******* evidence to support the claim at all.

Was the OP meant to be taken seriously? Then yes. The idea that Donald Trump is going to declare himself dictator is simply nuts.
Even if it's a hypothetical, again, it's not far off the mark. Trump has floated the idea more than once (with regards to staying in office). You guys just calling someone mentally ill isn't really refuting a ******* thing. It's the actual definition of an ad hom attack. You didn't contest anything about his argument. You said he was deranged and nothing else. That's the antithesis of skepticism.

Uhmmmm…..let me revise slightly. The idea that Donald Trump will successfully declare himself dictator is simply nuts. I don't know what goes on in his head. He might just imagine that he could do it, but no. Even with a Coronavirus pandemic going on, there will still be elections, and Donald Trump will still respect the results of those elections.
LoL the OP never said it would be successful, just that Trump would try it. How do you know he'll respect the elections? There's way more evidence to support the OP saying Trump will try to stay in office than your claim that he will respect the elections. Do you have actual evidence Trump will respect the elections? He respects absolutely nothing else. I think what you mean is Trump will be forced to adhere to the election results.

I'd say it's more deranged and mentally ill to think Trump would adhere to any respected norm as he hasn't shown any evidence he will up to this point.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 11:09 AM   #13
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Is the OP author one of those? Well, that depends. Was the OP meant to be taken seriously? Then yes. The idea that Donald Trump is going to declare himself dictator is simply nuts.

I shiver to think what he might do during his lame duck period, but come January 20, 2025, there will be a President of the United States, and he won't be named Donald Trump. Hopefully, January 20, 2021, but that's not as easy to foretell.
I first saw it with Clinton. All of the murder conspiracies. My sister said he had a red nose because of his cocaine use.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 11:11 AM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I first saw it with Clinton. All of the murder conspiracies. My sister said he had a red nose because of his cocaine use.
Plainly ridiculous! Everyone knew he got his cocaine injected directly into his scrotum during swinger parties. Ah, the 90s! When journalism was about facts and Facebook wasn't a thing!
Old 26th February 2020, 11:17 AM   #15
Armitage72
Philosopher

Even with a Coronavirus pandemic going on, there will still be elections, and Donald Trump will still respect the results of those elections.

He screamed voter fraud at the top of his lungs and demanded an investigation when he WON. Do you genuinely think he'll quietly accept a loss?
But that's not really the topic of this thread.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 11:20 AM   #16
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

The only way that this would be comparable to so-called “Trump Derangement Syndrome” is if Clinton was on record implying multiple times that he committed murder and snorted cocaine.

I think a more appropriate term to use during the Trump era is Head-In-Sand Syndrome.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 11:21 AM   #17
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The thing is, that doesn't sound as crazy as it did would have a year ago.
In my opinion it should sound crazy.
Old 26th February 2020, 11:29 AM   #18
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I remember the Asian flu which I had at age 11 and had there been a way to avoid that level of misery I certainly would have done it. I doubt if this current virus is as bad as that one was. These things come along and people get hurt even if they are able to avoid the virus themselves. You lose money and that's all there is to it. The misery level of being sick is what scares people away and I don't blame them.

Its been 61 years since the Asian flu was around but it was a serious illness that cost the lives of thousands of elderly patients and young children with compromised immune systems or weak in some way already.

Prior to to getting sick I was healthy as a horse but I will never forget the fever, the aches, the pains and the overall feeling of agony that coame with the Asian flu.
Old 26th February 2020, 11:37 AM   #19
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
He screamed voter fraud at the top of his lungs and demanded an investigation when he WON. Do you genuinely think he'll quietly accept a loss?
But that's not really the topic of this thread.
He may not quietly accept a close loss but I don't think he would do anything other than legal channels to contest it.
Old 26th February 2020, 11:46 AM   #20
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

And that's the part where you got it wrong. Obama Derangement Syndrome was so significant, it literally took over the mainstream of the Republican Party, got Trump elected, and still dictates a large part of their agenda. The earlier examples of Presidential Derangement Syndromes were largely confined to the Alex Jones type fringe nutcases.

Quote:
And this is wrong again.

ODS was based on virtually nothing. It was drawn entirely out of the minds of the people who went nuts seeing Obama in the Oval Office.

In contrast, "TDS" is based on things that Trump has actually done and said. Oh, sure, he's "just joking"; oh sure, his agenda "isn't as bad as you make it out to be". But there's worlds of difference between concerns based at least somewhat on reality, and concerns pulled entirely out of thin air.
Old 26th February 2020, 11:51 AM   #21
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The issue is that Trump is entirely transactional, and he no longer has any adults around him that might stop him from doing something that, at first glance, looks like it would give him a short-term advantage.
We can see right now how he tries to manipulate the Stock Market by lying about the scope of the Pandemic.
It's not that Trump would plan to use the virus scare to delay elections, but neither is there reason to believe he wouldn't do so if given the opportunity and motivation; Trump hasn't shown any restraint of his own so far.
Old 26th February 2020, 11:54 AM   #22
Armitage72
Philosopher

He may not quietly accept a close loss but I don't think he would do anything other than legal channels to contest it.

Legal channels, while he's currently saying that two Supreme Court Justices should recuse themselves from any cases involving him because they aren't his subservient toadies.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 11:55 AM   #23
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Even with a Coronavirus pandemic going on, there will still be elections, and Donald Trump will still respect the results of those elections.

I agree Trump will get out of office, but Trump doesn't respect elections. He didn't even respect the election that put him in office. Millions of illegal votes was his claim.

ETA: Ninja'd I'm not surprised to see.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 26th February 2020 at 11:56 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 11:58 AM   #24
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
LoL the OP never said it would be successful, just that Trump would try it.
Fair enough.

I think that is far fetched, but not nuts.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 12:14 PM   #25
johnny karate

Fair enough.

I think that is far fetched, but not nuts.
Which part do you find far-fetched? The part where Trump has expressed the desire and will to do it? Or just the part where he would actually try it?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 12:19 PM   #26
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Which part do you find far-fetched? The part where Trump has expressed the desire and will to do it? Or just the part where he would actually try it?
Just the part about actually trying it.
Old 26th February 2020, 12:25 PM   #27
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

The problem is, everything about his presidency is far-fetched. You simply can't make a prediction about what he might do, or what might happen, based on previous presidencies. We're in uncharted waters, here.
Old 26th February 2020, 12:26 PM   #28
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I shiver to think what he might do during his lame duck period...
Well, we can probably start with

1. Nominate as many unqualified partisan sycophants to the Federal benches as he can and have Moscow Mitch jam them through Senate confirmation just as fast as possible.

2. Pardons galore for all the criminals who were loyal to him - Manafort, Flynn, Stone.

3. Withdraw from NATO

...but come January 20, 2025, there will be a President of the United States, and he won't be named Donald Trump. Hopefully, January 20, 2021, but that's not as easy to foretell.
There might be one named Donald Trump Jr though. I have no doubt that Dump will try to create a presidential dynasty by grooming Junior to become his successor. Of course, he would have to win the Republican nomination first, but I am sure Dump's base would support Junior 100%.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 12:29 PM   #29
johnny karate

Okay, even though we've down-graded from "mental illness" to "far-fetched", I am curious to know why you think it is far-fetched.

Trump has expressed a desire and willingness to stay in office beyond the legal term limit (I acknowledge that these are supposed to be "jokes", but that he said it cannot be denied). Trump has also exhibited a flagrant disregard for norms, protocols, and even the law.

So where is the far-fetched part?
Old 26th February 2020, 12:33 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not likely given there will be an anti-viral med if not a vaccine by then.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 12:35 PM   #31
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The problem is, everything about his presidency is far-fetched. You simply can't make a prediction about what he might do, or what might happen, based on previous presidencies. We're in uncharted waters, here.
When stupid, crazy, and evil intersect, anything is possible!

That's a great tagline for a movie.
Old 26th February 2020, 12:43 PM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
When stupid, crazy, and evil intersect, anything is possible!

That's a great tagline for a movie. Trump Documentary
FTFY
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 12:45 PM   #33
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

FTFY
Who'd watch that? I was thinking a comedy with David Mitchell in it.
Old 26th February 2020, 12:46 PM   #34
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

The part where Trump goes full retard.

Do you think he could succeed in what would amount to a coup? No, he couldn't. Do you think he doesn't know he couldn't succeed? Of course he knows. Do you think he doesn't know that he would pay a price for trying and failing? Again, of course he knows. So even with the worst reading of Trump's motives, why would he do something so obviously self-destructive?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 12:47 PM   #35
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
There might be one named Donald Trump Jr though.
When does Pence officially become Trump's running mate for 2020?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 12:49 PM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Do you think he could succeed in what would amount to a coup? No, he couldn't.
So far, Congress hasn't been great at stopping him, and he's getting bolder.

Old 26th February 2020, 12:54 PM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, even though we've down-graded from "mental illness" to "far-fetched", I am curious to know why you think it is far-fetched.

Trump has expressed a desire and willingness to stay in office beyond the legal term limit (I acknowledge that these are supposed to be "jokes", but that he said it cannot be denied). Trump has also exhibited a flagrant disregard for norms, protocols, and even the law.

Here you go:
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
There might be one named Donald Trump Jr though. I have no doubt that Dump will try to create a presidential dynasty by grooming Junior to become his successor. Of course, he would have to win the Republican nomination first, but I am sure Dump's base would support Junior 100%.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 12:58 PM   #38
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
When does Pence officially become Trump's running mate for 2020?
At the convention
Old 26th February 2020, 01:02 PM   #39
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Do you think he could succeed in what would amount to a coup? No, he couldn't. Do you think he doesn't know he couldn't succeed? Of course he knows. Do you think he doesn't know that he would pay a price for trying and failing? Again, of course he knows. So even with the worst reading of Trump's motives, why would he do something so obviously self-destructive?
Zig correctly stated my response to several related queries.
Old 26th February 2020, 01:08 PM   #40
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

What are you basing this on? He's said that he wants to stay in the White House and he's floated the idea to get a reaction more than once. It's not like this is some "out of left field" type of idea. Calling someone mentally ill should require them to at least contradict the words spoken by the target of their ire.

His concept is no more crazy than claiming someone is mentally ill without any ******* evidence to support the claim at all.

Even if it's a hypothetical, again, it's not far off the mark. Trump has floated the idea more than once (with regards to staying in office). You guys just calling someone mentally ill isn't really refuting a ******* thing. It's the actual definition of an ad hom attack. You didn't contest anything about his argument. You said he was deranged and nothing else. That's the antithesis of skepticism.
Next we will see Meadmaker posting about how no man in this nation ever meant anything serious when mentioning how funny it would be to have a threesome.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics