ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , healing

Old 11th March 2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Coronavirus and faith

There used to be a “story” making the rounds about a community that was suffering from a drought so the local minister got the congregation to meet to pray for rain but after everyone was assembled the preacher looked over the crowd and told them to go back home because no one brought an umbrella.

https://deadstate.org/christian-mega...&ICID=ref_fark

O, ye of little faith.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 04:19 PM   #2
BigFace42
Scholar

Well at least they're not putting a bunch of people at risk who if attending are likely to be vulnerable.

Given faith healing is generally touch feely I'm sure they're serving their own interests first. Truly an example of not practicing what you preach.
BigFace42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 04:55 PM   #3
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
There used to be a “story” making the rounds about a community that was suffering from a drought so the local minister got the congregation to meet to pray for rain but after everyone was assembled the preacher looked over the crowd and told them to go back home because no one brought an umbrella.

https://deadstate.org/christian-mega...&ICID=ref_fark

O, ye of little faith.
Lightening rods on church steeples also indicate a certain lack of faith.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 02:56 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Lightening rods on church steeples also indicate a certain lack of faith.
Remember reading an essay by Issac Asimov about this. Apparently many churches resisted lightning conductors for quite some time, and guess what, often tallest building in area gets struck by lightning! Hard to maintain your faith when god keeps blasting your church but the brothel next door is safe and sound.
Old 12th March 2020, 06:20 AM   #5
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

'We are gathered here to pay our last respects to the dearly departed, because your prayers did jack ****'

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:03 PM   #6
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by BigFace42 View Post
Well at least they're not putting a bunch of people at risk who if attending are likely to be vulnerable.

Given faith healing is generally touch feely I'm sure they're serving their own interests first. Truly an example of not practicing what you preach.

You know, you’re right. I didn’t even think of the “hands on” aspect when I posted this. I just hope that one of the sects doesn’t convince anyone to take up serpents to combat this most recent pandemic.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2020, 07:48 AM   #7
carlitos
"más divertido"

In a logical world, watching churches put away the holy water during a pandemic might reduce religious belief among the congregants.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2020, 08:19 AM   #8
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Come to think of it, I haven't heard mention of any interviews with heads of religious faiths about the virus and I suppose that is a good thing. I wonder if they have been asked and have managed to bluff their way vaguely through some ridiculous reply. I wonder if any of the multiple religious web sites have any prayer advice for their twitter messages.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2020, 08:52 PM   #9
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Remember reading an essay by Issac Asimov about this. Apparently many churches resisted lightning conductors for quite some time, and guess what, often tallest building in area gets struck by lightning! Hard to maintain your faith when god keeps blasting your church but the brothel next door is safe and sound.
And that's why you store the local supply of gunpowder in the church. Because it wil be protected from lightning by God Himself.

(Note. This is a meme I have believed for the longest time but I and too lazy to check right now as it's past bedtime. )
Old 13th March 2020, 11:13 PM   #10
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
Come to think of it, I haven't heard mention of any interviews with heads of religious faiths about the virus and I suppose that is a good thing. I wonder if they have been asked and have managed to bluff their way vaguely through some ridiculous reply. I wonder if any of the multiple religious web sites have any prayer advice for their twitter messages.
Yep. Lots of churches have suspended services and are preaching to the flock through the internet.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...-religion.html

One of my favourite stories in the humour thread is that faith healing is cancelled. Their god must be pretty useless if it can cure cancer but not a virus. I was reminded of the iron chariots that the god couldn't stop either in the Old Testament.
Old 14th March 2020, 01:23 AM   #11
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Notably the Greek Orthodox church in Australia has declared that the virus cannot be spread by communion, so will continue to dip the same saliva dripping spoon into everyone's mouths:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...-them/12055476
Quote:
Greek Orthodox churches across the country will allow congregations of hundreds of people to sip wine from the same spoon during mass because "the holy cup cannot carry disease," the Archdiocese said.
Old 14th March 2020, 01:35 AM   #12
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Notably the Greek Orthodox church in Australia has declared that the virus cannot be spread by communion, so will continue to dip the same saliva dripping spoon into everyone's mouths:

Outstanding.

The Blood of Christ couldn't have viruses in it.

These people are insane.
Old 14th March 2020, 05:10 AM   #13
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

God, please protect the athetits

Well, here’s a nice Christian who wants to share.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFTProp...72588835762177
Old 14th March 2020, 06:35 AM   #14
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

Yuk" That's disgusting!
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 08:06 AM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Outstanding.

These people are insane.
From the same article:
Quote:
Victory Life Centre, which is a non-denominational Christian church in Perth founded by Margaret Court, also believes its faith will protect its congregation.

The church issued a statement on its website that said COVID-19 "will not come near our dwelling or our church family".

"We are praying daily for you, knowing that we are all protected by the Blood of Jesus," the statement said.
Old 15th March 2020, 05:07 PM   #16
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Outstanding.

These people are insane.
Religion is an insanity, it should be classified as such like schizophrenia, paranoia, etc.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 05:09 PM   #17
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
From the same article:
Well I guess we had all better book our flights to Perth right away, we can get good rates right now!
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 05:19 PM   #18
gypsyjackson
Muse

In Malaysia, things looked pretty good, as an aggressive contact tracing policy followed by self-isolation seemed to be keeping spread slow paced. Then this:

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...mic-conference

Leading to more than half of cases being linked to this one event:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/74639543.cms

Others decided to get in on the action:

https://www.thestar.com.my/metro/met...ch-at-festival

And now we have a truly bizarre situation where a mosque - which wanted to close for cleaning following confirmation one of its followers had tested positive - has been forced to stay open:

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2...closure-notice
gypsyjackson is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 05:24 PM   #19
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Religion is an insanity, it should be classified as such like schizophrenia, paranoia, etc.
Religious (god) beliefs are insane beliefs, and those that believe them are insane in that regard and to that degree.

(waits for Arth to arrive with his pedantic, sacred cow mental health term rules)

Last edited by ynot; 15th March 2020 at 05:31 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 05:35 PM   #20
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

South Korea's Patient 31.

Refused tests, went to 2-hour church services twice, and out to dinner. 1160 people potentially infected.

And SK is actively tracking this stuff. Here? It's a plot against Trump.
Old 16th March 2020, 03:53 PM   #21
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I just posted this in the Humour thread, but it's all about faith:

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...cid=spartandhp

I won't even accept the defence that he didn't know he had Covid at the time - he had just returned from USA, where he dined with sick people and the guy he actually wanted to meet up with was too sick to attend and has since died.

I know the bloke involved, and I'm pretty sure his mate had died before he went to church, so it's one where any sane person would keep themselves out of the way and not go slurping a communal cup.

And yes, I did burst out laughing when I saw it.
Old 17th March 2020, 05:20 AM   #22
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

One of the few upshots of this pandemic is the record-setting amount of darwin award winners it will produce.
Old 17th March 2020, 05:54 AM   #23
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

this virus could be very devastating to Islamic countries, where meeting up multiple times a day for prayer might be expected.
Old 17th March 2020, 08:26 AM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I just posted this in the Humour thread, but it's all about faith:

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...cid=spartandhp

I won't even accept the defence that he didn't know he had Covid at the time - he had just returned from USA, where he dined with sick people and the guy he actually wanted to meet up with was too sick to attend and has since died.

I know the bloke involved, and I'm pretty sure his mate had died before he went to church, so it's one where any sane person would keep themselves out of the way and not go slurping a communal cup.

And yes, I did burst out laughing when I saw it.
From that article:
Quote:
Father Murphy said hand sanitiser was used during the service and that people would not have sipped from the same part of the chalice.
How the heck does that work? Oh, right. It doesn't. Maybe they should give them a straw.
Old 17th March 2020, 08:52 AM   #25
gypsyjackson
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
this virus could be very devastating to Islamic countries, where meeting up multiple times a day for prayer might be expected.
Second death (of 2 at time of writing) in Malaysia was a 34 year old who attended the Islamic ceremony I mentioned above.

First was a Catholic priest of 60.

However from tomorrow all gatherings including prayers are banned.
gypsyjackson is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2020, 11:28 AM   #26
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Second death (of 2 at time of writing) in Malaysia was a 34 year old who attended the Islamic ceremony I mentioned above.

First was a Catholic priest of 60.

However from tomorrow all gatherings including prayers are banned.
I guess their faith only carries them so far before the small portion of their brain responsible for critical thinking takes over for pure survival.
Old 17th March 2020, 12:26 PM   #27
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

I have a cousin who LOVES Trump and Melani. She is also a 'born again' and always thanking the lord for Trump.

My only contact with her is rare and limited to some facebook posts. This morning she posted something that I could not ignore - as i usually do. She used bible passages to illustrate her point. She claimed that only sinners, whores, those who have taken the lords name in vain, will come down with the corona virus. She said she has no fear of the disease, because she is certain that being a non sinner, she won't bother protecting herself, because "the lord will always protect" her.

I think I need to scream now.
Old 17th March 2020, 12:33 PM   #28
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I have a cousin who LOVES Trump and Melani. She is also a 'born again' and always thanking the lord for Trump.

My only contact with her is rare and limited to some facebook posts. This morning she posted something that I could not ignore - as i usually do. She used bible passages to illustrate her point. She claimed that only sinners, whores, those who have taken the lords name in vain, will come down with the corona virus. She said she has no fear of the disease, because she is certain that being a non sinner, she won't bother protecting herself, because "the lord will always protect" her.

Another example of selective Christianity. A tenet of that faith is that everyone is a sinner. Being "saved" does not change that.
Old 17th March 2020, 01:18 PM   #29
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has met with several people and insisted to shake hands with them, and later they turned out to be infected. He, however, wasn't.
In my opinion, this proves either that
a) there is no god,
or that
b) the alleged author of The Art of the Deal has made one with the devil.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 17th March 2020 at 02:24 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2020, 01:54 PM   #30
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Trump has met with several people and insisted to shake hands with them and later they turned out to be infected. He, however, wasn't.
In my opinion, this prove either that
a) there is no god,
or that
b) the alleged author of The Art of the Deal has made one with the devil.
Or c) his hands are too small for a virus to attach to.
Old 17th March 2020, 02:10 PM   #31
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post

Millions of equally faithful people died of the black plague and 1918 Flu. The Lord helps them what help themselves.
Old 17th March 2020, 03:15 PM   #32
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Millions of equally faithful people died of the black plague and 1918 Flu. The Lord helps them what help themselves.
You really don't understand how this works do you? The fact that these people died proves that they weren't Truly Faithful. QED
Old 17th March 2020, 04:05 PM   #33
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I sent you a truck, a boat, and a helicopter. What more do you want?
Old 18th March 2020, 07:16 AM   #34
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
Paula White's message is "send me money":

Quote:
Paula White, the evangelical pastor and spiritual adviser to President Donald Trump, says her ministry is like a hospital and is asking people to send her money as a result.

Except it’s not a real hospital.

“We are a hospital to the sick,” White said over piano music during an online coronavirus prayer session, quickly adding that it’s for “not necessarily the physically sick.”

“We are a hospital for those who are soul-sick, those who are spiritually sick,” she said.

White, who leads Trump’s Faith and Opportunity Initiative, then asked followers for “seed” money. For those who espouse the so-called prosperity gospel, that typically means giving money in the belief that some form of larger prosperity will then be returned to the giver.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 09:07 AM   #35
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I sent you a truck, a boat, and a helicopter. What more do you want?
Old 19th March 2020, 05:30 AM   #36
gypsyjackson
Muse

95 Malaysians went to Indonesia, to another international gathering run by the same organisation that ran the one here which caused more than 500 of the 700 cases. Fortunately that wasn't allowed to start, but it seems as if 10,000 people went to Sulawesi and will now return to other parts of Indonesia, or their home countries.

BBC Monitoring also sent me a digest which included the news that because Indonesia is limiting Friday prayers, some groups plan mass prayer sessions to combat the virus. The more people praying together, the better, apparently.

Trying to find a source for that led me to this very similar story about Bangladesh:
https://www.thejakartapost.com/seasi...ks-outcry.html
Between 10k and 25k people praying together to stop the spread.

However in Myanmar, it seems the prayers of Buddhists and Catholics have been answered: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...leader-suu-kyi
Old 19th March 2020, 05:53 AM   #37
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51955509

Quote:
Bangladeshi mass prayer meeting criticised

On Wednesday thousands of people gathered in southern Bangladesh to pray for the country to be rid of coronavirus, in a move that has not gone down well with the rest of the country.

The prayer meeting, held in Raipur, saw 10,000 Muslims offering "healing verses" for the country. A local police chief told news agency AFP the organisers had not sought permission from the authorities to hold the event,

Photos and videos of the event, such as the footage below, show people standing and praying shoulder to shoulder in a field. Many Bangladeshis have expressed shock and anger online over the event.

Officially the country has 14 positive cases of the virus but many experts fear that not enough testing has been done and that there are many more undetected cases.
Old 21st March 2020, 06:28 PM   #38
Thor 2
Philosopher

Yes well Pixel, if people become infected as a result of attending these prayer meetings, the church leaders have a ready answer: Their faith wasn't strong enough. The line has always worked when faith healers don't come up with the goods.
Old 21st March 2020, 07:48 PM   #39
Thor 2
Philosopher

Just went past the Hillsong Church and the carpark was empty. It would seem these Pentecostals don't think their god is going to protect them from coronavirus then. I wonder what's happening in the mega churches elsewhere?
Old 21st March 2020, 09:06 PM   #40
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
White, who leads Trump’s Faith and Opportunity Initiative, then asked followers for “seed” money. For those who espouse the so-called prosperity gospel, that typically means giving money in the belief that some form of larger prosperity will then be returned to the giver.
If you look closely at the results to the giver of giving money to churches, I think the Spiritual Reserve Bank has cut their interest rates to below zero.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy