IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:32 PM   #81
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Well in Canberra maybe, but in lots of other places ships can unload directly onto trains. (And load directly from)
Lots of ships being loaded here in Canberra.

But I was referring to driving a train into a ship, which as I acknowledged a lot of posts ago wasn't what was happening anyway.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:40 PM   #82
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The engineer is the person who operates the engine.

Funny how it works like that.
Just like people who operate pions, mountains, buccans, and mousekets.
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:44 PM   #83
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I think it is easy to understand this guy; just imagine that Donald Trump’s father had been a fireman on a steam engine instead of a multi-millionaire.
Now imagine that Donald Trump’s father had been a fireman on a steam engine and a multi-millionaire. It would explain a few things.
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:45 PM   #84
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
...he was suspicious of the Mercy and believing it had an alternate purpose related to COVID-19 or a government takeover.
That Mercy ship is here to WRECK OUR TRAINS!!!
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:49 PM   #85
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Sorry to derail the thread (so to speak), but I really wish the US would adopt the UK and Commonwealth parlance and start referring to locomotive operators as "drivers," rather than "engineers." Of course, that will never happen.
Let's just settle on "locomotiveeringerdrivers" and keep things simple.
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:01 PM   #86
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the video of the accident!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:02 PM   #87
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Seriously, this discussion is reminding me of how I once chastised my electrical-engineer father for using the word "current" when there was no water involved.
I assume he was talking about jelly.
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:38 PM   #88
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Still not getting it. Train tracks don't end at ships.
In Picton (not far from where I live) railway tracks run right onto ships. They literally shunt the rolling stock directly onto the ship using a shunting engine.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:32 AM   #89
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I feel like there's a trolley problem joke just begging to be made here.

I wonder if a person was tied to the track and that news just hasn't hit yet?
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:37 AM   #90
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I feel like there's a trolley problem joke just begging to be made here.

I wonder if a person was tied to the track and that news just hasn't hit yet?
America itself was tied, not to the track, but to the pier. This brave engineer pilot driver loco-man crashed his train trying to save the country from the boat. Less trolley problem, more Speed 2.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:38 AM   #91
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Let's just settle on "locomotiveeringerdrivers" and keep things simple.
Trainswain (pronounced train-sen)
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:21 AM   #92
Sherkeu
Illuminator

I'm still just broken up and sitting on the fence about this whole situation.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:22 AM   #93
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I don't know why he did this but I'm sure he had a loco motive.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:45 AM   #94
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Trainswain (pronounced train-sen)
Tra'sun, surely.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:00 AM   #95
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Doesn't sound like a great new entry in the series, but I guess Keanu and Sandra need the cash!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:11 AM   #96
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Doesn't sound like a great new entry in the series, but I guess Keanu and Sandra need the cash!
Keanu seems to be doing just fine without the franchise.
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:31 AM   #97
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
So about 10 years back there was a halfway decent but forgettable disaster film called Unstoppable about a runaway freight train loaded with hazardous material that will derail in a major populated area if it isn't stopped. Standard disaster movie fair; evil businessman that wants to save the company money, one of our hero's estranged wife and daughter just so happen to live in the populated area, scene were heroic guy has to get on the moving train, all very good and well.

Well it was mentioned in some of the reviews for the film that it was based on a "real life incident" which intrigued me so I read up on it.

In May of 2001 locomotive CXS 8888 did in fact leave an Ohio under power but without control and was out of control for 2 hours, reaching speeds of over 50 mphs and was indeed carrying several traincars of toxic chemicals, not the "Kill thousands and ecological disaster" of the stuff in the film but surely stuff you wouldn't want a big area to take a bath in for sure and while everything was very highly dramatized for the film a lot of beats where the same, including failed attempts at using protable derailing devices to slow/stop the train and the police shooting out the tires.

It's just so weird to see the film, shot in Tony Scott's patented (and missed) high energy action movie style and the real world footage, like comparing Chris Pine in the film having to jump onto the uncontrolled train from another train and the real world footage of "They got the train to slow down enough that a chubby, middle aged rail engineer at a light job was able to catch up with and climb on board and take control."
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:10 AM   #98
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Keanu seems to be doing just fine without the franchise.
Check out unstoppable.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:49 AM   #99
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Check out unstoppable.
The train movie that doesn't have Keanu Reeves in it? Did you mean Unbreakable, the superhero movie that doesn't have Keanu Reeves in it? Or possibly Unforgettable, the psychological thriller move that doesn't have Keanu Reeves in it?

Why would I be checking out any of these, in the context of Keanu Reeves' career success?
Old 3rd April 2020, 03:01 PM   #100
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The train movie that doesn't have Keanu Reeves in it? Did you mean Unbreakable, the superhero movie that doesn't have Keanu Reeves in it? Or possibly Unforgettable, the psychological thriller move that doesn't have Keanu Reeves in it?

Why would I be checking out any of these, in the context of Keanu Reeves' career success?
I believe the title of the movie referred to is Unwatchable. It started a trend that a lot of movies followed.
Old 3rd April 2020, 03:16 PM   #101
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
People are trying to engineer it as that. But they went off the rails.

[next contestant, please!]
This is literally a train wreck.

What?

Too obvious?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 03:43 PM   #102
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I believe the title of the movie referred to is Unwatchable. It started a trend that a lot of movies followed.
If it didn't have Keanu Reeves in it, then of course it was unwatchable.
Old 3rd April 2020, 04:07 PM   #103
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Tra'sun, surely.
Nah; trainswain isn't going to work because -swain indicates a command/management position. Engineers literally just operate the engine. The person "in command" as it were of the train is the conductor.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 05:18 PM   #104
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Nah; trainswain isn't going to work because -swain indicates a command/management position. Engineers literally just operate the engine. The person "in command" as it were of the train is the conductor.
or, using the more usual understanding of swain, just a very ardent trainspotter?

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 05:26 PM   #105
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
or, using the more usual understanding of swain, just a very ardent trainspotter?
That's actually the etymology of the word. The boat swain was (and is) the person whose main responsibility is knowledge of and care for the boat itself. I'm thinking it must have started as poking fun at the boat maintenance guy, and evolved into an honorable name for an honorable profession.

"Guy who operates the train" can totally be a train swain in my book.
Old 3rd April 2020, 05:28 PM   #106
BobTheCoward
Banned

Train whip?
Old 3rd April 2020, 05:56 PM   #107
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Multi track drifting?
Old 3rd April 2020, 05:57 PM   #108
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

That's actually the etymology of the word. The boat swain was (and is) the person whose main responsibility is knowledge of and care for the boat itself. I'm thinking it must have started as poking fun at the boat maintenance guy, and evolved into an honorable name for an honorable profession.

"Guy who operates the train" can totally be a train swain in my book.
Still doesn't work - the engineer doesn't operate the train, just the engine. I know that may sound semantic but it really isn't: the conductor operates the train. He tells the engineer what to do with the engine specifically, and does everything else manually - so uncoupling or decoupling cars, operating track switches if required, handling communications and etc. Way back a long time ago train crews had another position called the brakeman and the conductor gave him orders too, but in modern trains that job is automated.

Interestingly, I don't think the guys who operate small locomotives just to shunt cars around a railyard get called engineers (though I forget what they ARE called).

Last edited by Checkmite; 3rd April 2020 at 06:00 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:56 PM   #109
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Still doesn't work - the engineer doesn't operate the train, just the engine. I know that may sound semantic but it really isn't: the conductor operates the train. He tells the engineer what to do with the engine specifically, and does everything else manually - so uncoupling or decoupling cars, operating track switches if required, handling communications and etc. Way back a long time ago train crews had another position called the brakeman and the conductor gave him orders too, but in modern trains that job is automated.

Interestingly, I don't think the guys who operate small locomotives just to shunt cars around a railyard get called engineers (though I forget what they ARE called).

During the middle part of the Age of Steam, most American freight trains had five crew members: the conductor, engineer, fireman, flagman (senior brakeman, also responsible for signaling), and brakeman. One of the brakemen's jobs when the train was moving was to watch along the cars for any problems with the equipment. One of the brakemen also usually prepared the crew's meals in the caboose ("brake van" or "guard's van," for you British and Commonwealth types) when necessary, so conductors generally tried to get at least one who was a good cook.

Also, the driver of a switch engine ("shunting engine") is still referred to as an engineer, though there may be a qualifier such as "yard" attached. Possibly you are thinking of a hostler, who is authorized to move a locomotive from one location to another within a yard, usually to or from a maintenance area. See here.
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:06 PM   #110
EHocking
Philosopher

I know a guy that does this for a job.

Most people think he’s a real shunt.

(I’m sorry, I can’t pronounce the letter sh)

"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:12 PM   #111
crescent
Philosopher

So a train tried to sink a ship.

Hasn't anyone here geeked out enough to reference the time a submarine attacked a train?
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:24 PM   #112
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
So a train tried to sink a ship.

Hasn't anyone here geeked out enough to reference the time a submarine attacked a train?
The crew of a sub went ashore and attacked a train, not quite the same as the sub itself launching an overt attack on a train, which, we have to agree, would be pretty impressive.

That's not to short change the impressive naval maneuver they pulled off before the crew's on shore anti-rail antics by any means.
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:39 PM   #113
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So about 10 years back there was a halfway decent but forgettable disaster film called Unstoppable about a runaway freight train loaded with hazardous material that will derail in a major populated area if it isn't stopped. Standard disaster movie fair; evil businessman that wants to save the company money, one of our hero's estranged wife and daughter just so happen to live in the populated area, scene were heroic guy has to get on the moving train, all very good and well.

Well it was mentioned in some of the reviews for the film that it was based on a "real life incident" which intrigued me so I read up on it.

In May of 2001 locomotive CXS 8888 did in fact leave an Ohio under power but without control and was out of control for 2 hours, reaching speeds of over 50 mphs and was indeed carrying several traincars of toxic chemicals, not the "Kill thousands and ecological disaster" of the stuff in the film but surely stuff you wouldn't want a big area to take a bath in for sure and while everything was very highly dramatized for the film a lot of beats where the same, including failed attempts at using protable derailing devices to slow/stop the train and the police shooting out the tires.

It's just so weird to see the film, shot in Tony Scott's patented (and missed) high energy action movie style and the real world footage, like comparing Chris Pine in the film having to jump onto the uncontrolled train from another train and the real world footage of "They got the train to slow down enough that a chubby, middle aged rail engineer at a light job was able to catch up with and climb on board and take control."
That incident probably was not the only one it was inspired by. In 1989 there was an incident near San Bernardino in which a train was unable to slow down on a long downward gradient due to the wagons being overweight and several of the locomotives having faulty dynamic brakes. The train could not stop and derailed on a bend in the track, ploughing through a residential area killing four people including two crews. This was actually a double disaster, as the clean-up crew damaged gas pipes with earthmoving equipment, and that lead to a gas explosion two weeks later which killed another two residents.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 3rd April 2020 at 10:40 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:41 PM   #114
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I know a guy that does this for a job.

Most people think he’s a real shunt.

(I’m sorry, I can’t pronounce the letter sh)
Try it with the letter "k".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:51 PM   #115
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
That incident probably was not the only one it was inspired by. In 1989 there was an incident near San Bernardino in which a train was unable to slow down on a long downward gradient due to the wagons being overweight and several of the locomotives having faulty dynamic brakes. The train could not stop and derailed on a bend in the track, ploughing through a residential area killing four people including two crews. This was actually a double disaster, as the clean-up crew damaged gas pipes with earthmoving equipment, and that lead to a gas explosion two weeks later which killed another two residents.
This one from 1959 in New Jersey was thrilling for me to read as a kid.
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:45 PM   #116
EHocking
Philosopher

Try it with the letter "k".
What.
Spell shunt with a k?

Oh! I never thought of that before! What a silly shunt!

Old 4th April 2020, 08:24 AM   #117
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I mean, it works just fine for me. Natural languages aren't systems of formal logic. I'm content just to see a line of kinship, in the meanings of related words, and the meanings of the same word in different times and places.

Last edited by theprestige; 4th April 2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 4th April 2020, 09:13 AM   #118
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Although, this one postdates Joe's movie by three years it's as if it has cast a large Mégantic cloud over the entire industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-M%..._rail_disaster
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 10:07 AM   #119
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Thanks for sharing that; I remember my dad's telling me about this episode when I was a kid. The detail about the attempt to throw a flare into the cab to see if there was anyone in it jogged my memory. I wonder if he read that particular article, because that seems like a detail that might not have been reported by most newspapers.
Old 4th April 2020, 03:56 PM   #120
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Thrilling for me to read as an adult.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events