ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th May 2020, 07:52 PM   #1
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Yet another believer in ancient aliens

In the e-book collection of my library, I found this:

Martin K. Ettington, "Strange Objects Which Should Not Exist" © 2019

I have never heard of this person, but in the Amazon link, I found a very long list of works by him. Does anyone know more than is listed there?

Here is the description from Amazon:

Quote:
Many objects have been found from the deep past which should not exist. We are talking about millions to hundreds of millions years ago.

The objects described in this book provide lots of evidence that they really originated in the deep past. These things include metal containers found in seams of coal, and spark plugs encased in rock which should not exist.

There are also ancient footprints of giants which were created before land animals are believed to have existed.

This information along with that from my previous books on ancient civilizations leads to the startling conclusion that an ancient race of giants existed in the distant past.

Learn more about what these objects are and how they all tie together to create a vision of an amazing past of civilization on Earth.

I downloaded it and skimmed it, but I'm sorry I did.

* I hope I got the link correct. but if not, at least I tried.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 9th May 2020 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
xterra is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 02:52 AM   #2
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Fixed the link for you

There are tons of youtube videos that talk about this pseudo scientific claptrap.

I'm sure I have seen this name among some, and listed among the contributors with Georgio McBadhair and Erich von Taxevader.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 03:39 AM   #3
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

I haven't read the Ettington book, but from your description, it sounds like a retread of Von Däniken's bestseller Chariots of the Gods. Maybe Ettington wants to cash in on the financial success of CotG. There's a huge, uncritical market for it.

xterra: You can always check a link before posting by using the "Preview" function.

Last edited by Sherman Bay; 9th May 2020 at 03:42 AM.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 03:46 AM   #4
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
This is the site I generally turn to when these kinds of claims pop up:

http://www.badarchaeology.com/

Needless to say, every single one of these claims is piffle- intentional or accidental, but piffle all the same.
Old 9th May 2020, 04:06 AM   #5
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
spark plugs encased in rock

This is a recent book? Without even researching, I remember that this was found to actually be a lump of hardened mud ages ago.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 06:12 AM   #6
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Eric Von D in rehash. I read girst prints of his books before it was all undone, it rang hollow then.

Now the backstory of many of them have been dug up and its not credible material for ancient.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 06:27 AM   #7
xterra
So far, so good...

Of course it's not credible — I never thought it was.

This is the first time I have encountered this particular nutter, which surprised me, considering the number of words he has emitted.
Old 9th May 2020, 09:44 AM   #8
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Thats all they have is words really.

I read first prints in my teens and it faded out a bit over the years. Now a new writer has tapped into a barrel of 40 plus year old garbage for a generation that would not likely find the copy I read.

Still word salad but with updated dressing for the kids.

This dude has the distinguished presence of Eric VonD as an established authority and everyone knows most readers won't look up Eric to see he hasn't really proven anything yet.

Marketing at its finest.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 10:18 AM   #9
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post

Needless to say, every single one of these claims is piffle- intentional or accidental, but piffle all the same.
Thank you +100 for that link! New to me - bad on me - I could have used this long before.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 06:27 PM   #10
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Eric Von D in rehash. I read girst prints of his books before it was all undone, it rang hollow then.

Now the backstory of many of them have been dug up and its not credible material for ancient.
Reading CotG as a young teen turned me on to scepticism.
I excitedly bought the book amid the frenzy of its release hoping/expecting great revelations of the most astonishing kind.

Instead I read crap pseudoscience that came to deeply unsatisfying conclusions that even a 13 year old saw as ludicrous.

The book actually angered me because of its lack of scientific integrity.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 07:20 PM   #11
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

My personal pet peeve is people who get really excited when ancient civilizations moved stones a long way. There is nothing magic about spending a lot of money on shipping.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 10:18 PM   #12
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
My personal pet peeve is people who get really excited when ancient civilizations moved stones a long way. There is nothing magic about spending a lot of money on shipping.
Mine is people who assume that, if they can't think of a way to do something, their ancestors couldn't have either. There seems to be a widespread unstated belief that everyone who is alive today is smarter than everyone who was alive 3000 years ago.
Old 10th May 2020, 02:22 AM   #13
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Mine is people who assume that, if they can't think of a way to do something, their ancestors couldn't have either.
"I can't think of an explanation, so it must be ghosts/aliens/a giant conspiracy, and if you disagree, you're narrow-minded!"
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2020, 03:00 AM   #14
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
"I can't think of an explanation, so it must be ghosts/aliens/a giant conspiracy, and if you disagree, you're narrow-minded!"

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2020, 05:24 AM   #15
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Reading CotG as a young teen turned me on to scepticism.
I excitedly bought the book amid the frenzy of its release hoping/expecting great revelations of the most astonishing kind.

Instead I read crap pseudoscience that came to deeply unsatisfying conclusions that even a 13 year old saw as ludicrous.

The book actually angered me because of its lack of scientific integrity.
There were two CoTG books as I recall and the 2nd was making even less efforts to make it coherent. Spectacular cover art lured me in, vapid drivel sent it back to the library unfinished.
It was the last Eric VonD book I ever picked up.
Old 10th May 2020, 07:51 AM   #16
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

There were two CoTG books as I recall and the 2nd was making even less efforts to make it coherent. Spectacular cover art lured me in, vapid drivel sent it back to the library unfinished.
I once attended a talk by Eric VonD, along with 30 or so other people, at which I was the only one who knew who he was (except, I guess, the person who arranged the meeting). I was a lot shyer then and did not ask a single question or even speak to him.
Old 10th May 2020, 09:12 AM   #17
xterra
So far, so good...

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post

xterra: You can always check a link before posting by using the "Preview" function.
Yes, but that doesn't always work in Firefox, my preferred browser. I have no idea the reason for that.

I also tried to use the method suggested in the thread Blue Mountain started, for Good Linking. Apparently, I got it wrong....

(To answer you with a quote, I am using Chrome.)

Last edited by xterra; 10th May 2020 at 09:14 AM.
xterra is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 12:39 AM   #18
EHocking
Philosopher

2?

Did you mean 21?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_...%A4niken#Books

After the first I never bothered with any others or any TV "documentaries" that mentioned him in a positive light.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 03:45 AM   #19
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Thank you +100 for that link! New to me - bad on me - I could have used this long before.
You're most welcome.
I'm sure I learned about it on this forum. One reason why I like it here.
Old 11th May 2020, 08:23 AM   #20
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Eric Von D is a gem. Once on AE he gushed over what he thought was an obvious Alien Landing strip on a "Cut off mountain top" it was, in fact, a plateau.
Old 11th May 2020, 08:33 AM   #21
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Eric Von D is a gem. Once on AE he gushed over what he thought was an obvious Alien Landing strip on a "Cut off mountain top" it was, in fact, a plateau.
Ah, but you see, that's why they're called 'plateaus'.
'Plateau', or 'Plato' as he is now known, wrote about Atlantis. Sites resembling the advanced technology of that civilisation are named in his honour.
Old 11th May 2020, 08:37 AM   #22
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post

This is now in my Favourites list. Thank you.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 08:51 AM   #23
Drewbot
Philosopher

Why wouldn't the Yeti believe in Ancient Aliens?

Isn't the Yeti an Ancient Alien?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 09:09 AM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Another one? It's like whack-a-mole! I thought they'd all become extinct.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 11:09 AM   #25
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Mine is people who assume that, if they can't think of a way to do something, their ancestors couldn't have either. There seems to be a widespread unstated belief that everyone who is alive today is smarter than everyone who was alive 3000 years ago.
Oh yeah I deal with pseudo-archaeology all the time of various forum. My favorite is 'ancient people could work rocks especially hard rocks' - impossible must have been done by aliens or Atlanteans.

A modern person doing the 'impossible' with stone tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ2bHE7mTi4
3.39 in length

Last edited by Hans; 11th May 2020 at 11:15 AM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 11:13 AM   #26
Hans
Philosopher

In my first Archaeology 101 class we were given part of that book and told to look it up - and comment. Pre-internet days and it took a while to do so - two days in a library.

It was about the tomb art he said depicted a guy in space ship.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 12:03 PM   #27
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I've always found the notion that beings capable of interstellar travel engaged in it just so they could help some primitive people move and pile up big rocks to be pretty silly.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 12:35 PM   #28
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I have never heard of this person, but in the Amazon link, I found a very long list of works by him. Does anyone know more than is listed there?

Quote:
Many objects have been found from the deep past which should not exist. We are talking about millions to hundreds of millions years ago.

The objects described in this book provide lots of evidence that they really originated in the deep past. These things include metal containers found in seams of coal, and spark plugs encased in rock which should not exist.

There are also ancient footprints of giants which were created before land animals are believed to have existed.

This information along with that from my previous books on ancient civilizations leads to the startling conclusion that an ancient race of giants existed in the distant past.

Learn more about what these objects are and how they all tie together to create a vision of an amazing past of civilization on Earth.

* I hope I got the link correct. but if not, at least I tried.
The spark plug in stone is called the Coso artifact. Even more mysterious than ancient aliens visiting the Earth is why they powered their spaceships with two stroke outboard engines. I imagine them pulling repeatedly on a starter rope and cursing until their ship’s engines finally caught and they could begin their voyage home.

Last edited by Giordano; 11th May 2020 at 12:37 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 01:15 PM   #29
CORed
Philosopher

My favorite quote abou Erich Von Daniken. I'm not sure who/where it's from:
Quote:
Erich Von Daniken attributes everything he doesn't understand to extraterrestrials.
There's a lot that Erich Von Daniken doesn't understand.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 03:22 PM   #30
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
The spark plug in stone is called the Coso artifact. Even more mysterious than ancient aliens visiting the Earth is why they powered their spaceships with two stroke outboard engines. I imagine them pulling repeatedly on a starter rope and cursing until their ship’s engines finally caught and they could begin their voyage home.
This has been successfully debunked. The whole mystery was in the age of the rock, the way of forming of which has been wrongly identified. The rock was only a few decades old and the "ancient" object was indeed a Bosh spark plug.
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 05:14 PM   #31
Carlotta
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Oh yeah I deal with pseudo-archaeology all the time of various forum. My favorite is 'ancient people could work rocks especially hard rocks' - impossible must have been done by aliens or Atlanteans.

A modern person doing the 'impossible' with stone tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ2bHE7mTi4
3.39 in length
Plus those guys who replicate Stonehenge and so forth on their own. Even one of our members, in his own CT thread, recently described moving a shed, single-handed, with basic machines. He's figured that out anyway! Unlike the author in the op

Last edited by Carlotta; 11th May 2020 at 05:16 PM.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 09:44 PM   #32
Thorkil2
Student

Crackpots

Quote:

I may try to acquire this book, but only because I have a pretty fair library of crackpot works. I collect them pretty actively. Taken as a whole they provide a fascinating window into the nature of the breed. Some favorite tomes: Atlantis and the Seven Stars, which is written with language and reasoning skills of a 7th grade book report and The Greatest Story Never Told, which is truly amazing in the scope of its incoherence. So many more, so much fun. (oops, many Greatest Story titles; the one I have in mind is Lana Cantrell's four inch-think wonder of irrational content.)

Last edited by Thorkil2; 11th May 2020 at 10:20 PM. Reason: clarification
Thorkil2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 10:08 PM   #33
Thorkil2
Student

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
This is a recent book? Without even researching, I remember that this was found to actually be a lump of hardened mud ages ago.
Indeed, but people like you spoil the novelty. No wanna-believer is going to buy into obvious truth if it's not as much fun. BTW, that's how charlatans get rich selling prayer hankies to old folks who see their options running short. Essentially the same principle and one that can make you rich if you have the stomach to cash in on it. Go for the spectacular and you'll have a life-long following. I'm thinking something like an Edsel in Ordovician limestone, but even a chicklet keyboard under a Triceratops femur would do.
Thorkil2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 10:33 PM   #34
ShadowSot
Graduate Poster

Jason Colavitos blog is also a good skeptical reference.
There's also the Archy fantasies podcast, and Ken Feder and Jeb card have a few books out on it.
ShadowSot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 05:36 PM   #35
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Okay, so explain the pyramids. Explain Stonehenge.

It's been proven that humans couldn't do it.

Explain this: humans aren't smart, humans see spaceships, humans are now smart, microwave ovens, Google.

Seriously. Explain that.

Aliums.

I'm a Belieber.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 06:19 PM   #36
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Deleted

Last edited by curious cat; 12th May 2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: wrong thread
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 02:21 AM   #37
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Explain this: humans aren't smart, humans see spaceships, humans are now smart, microwave ovens, Google.
This almost reminded me of the setup of a haiku.

man dumb
ufo leaps in
microwave sound
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 04:47 AM   #38
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
This almost reminded me of the setup of a haiku.

man dumb
ufo leaps in
microwave sound

I just love the possibility that someone out there could be so adept at writing a haiku, yet be so stumped about how humans developed their own intelligence and technology without the need for alien intervention. Life's little mysteries!

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 01:52 PM   #39
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Might as well put this here...

I came across this youtube channel, which has some quite good videos

Like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq2KGQajfAo
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

ETA: this also

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 16th May 2020 at 01:54 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 05:24 PM   #40
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Might as well put this here...

I came across this youtube channel, which has some quite good videos

Like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq2KGQajfAo
I AGREE

ETA: this also

I AGREE
Holy Cow, that woman has the persistence of Edison and the patience of a saint.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal