IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police misconduct charges , racism incidents

Old 20th May 2020, 10:18 AM   #161
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I can imagine several ways the return might have been a problem:
Oh, I can do these in.

Quote:
- No receipt
Nope. The membership number will easily pull up the receipt, and this is trivial to find for recent purchases with as easily searched terms as the brand, sn, size, item number, date of purchase, of an uncommonly purchased item. That shirt which could have any number of descriptions from last season is a pain, a tv from that year from a non-business is simple.

Quote:
- Item is unboxed
This is not a valid reason to refuse a return on anything besides software. It would be a horrible policy for televisions especially. Many large tv boxes are even designed in such a way that they can be opened and closed without breaking any seals or tape. (Those white or black plastic inserts at the base? Pinch them in, pull them out, and the top box comes completely off leaving the base box with the tv standing there.)

Quote:
- Item has damage
Only if they strongly believe the member damaged it themselves. A non-trivial number of large tvs will be damaged in shipping to the club or stocking them on the shelves. Lifting from the wrong part does it pretty easily, which is why even if you are strong enough to lift the big tv yourself, you should have a second person just to avoid torquing the box and breaking the screen.

Quote:
- Item is missing parts
This is a valid reason to refuse a return, but usually only temporarily, and only for non-packaging parts. Was this tv even opened?

Quote:
- No item in box
This is a valid reason to refuse a return. For smaller items it often happens as a mistake. This would also be trivial to prove so is exceedingly unlikely in this case.

Quote:
- Customer becomes belligerent when clerk proposes to look inside the box to confirm the item and all parts are being returned
That happens, but you just keep going. Again, trivial to show if that happened.

Quote:
- Customer wants cash but the store refunds credit card purchases back to the card
This one happens all the time, as does paying with a check and trying to return before the check actually cleared. The policy is to return the money the way it was paid originally or store credit. Another one that happens is people wanted us to put the money on a different card because they didn't have the old one anymore. This is actually not possible to do with the systems Sam's Club uses because the card companies put it in the use terms. People would insist we could do it, but it wasn't actually possible. One of the worst things to explain, because all the business members would insist they could do it at their businesses. I have no idea if that was true for them, but it absolutely was not possible for us, even accidentally.

Quote:
- Customer wants a refund but the store is only offering store credit
See above, policy is not for store credit unless they can't put it back the way it came.

Quote:
- There's no problem with the return, but the clerk is being a douchebag
Very possible. I've had to clean up returns where the first associate just decided it had to be a scam for no articulate reason, or a demonstrably false reason. Several members were very happy with the time and effort I'd spend proving them right.

Quote:
- There's no problem with the return, but the clerk is being a racist douchebag
Also very possible, and I've had to clean up returns where the first associate was just being a racist douchebag, and made more sales when the first associate was just being too racist a douchebag to take the time to explain things adequately to people not of their race, or primary language. I don't speak Spanish, but the Spanish speaking members would always find me.

Quote:
- There's no problem with the return, but the customer is getting belligerent due to misplaced anger over previous incidents
Possible, but pretty easy to show. See my other post about standard security processes (mostly to protect the member) can be seen as a personal affront.

Quote:
Etc. It's a long list. I haven't even gotten into all the variations on (racist) cop hanging around the returns counter instigating things.

I assume the grievance described in the suit is legitimate, but I'm still curious about how it got to that point at the returns counter.
It is puzzling, but not outside the realm of the very possible.

When our club was closing, we had several extreme angry members, high emotions with the associates, and towards the end a cop standing right by us at the Membership desk. There were people being much more belligerent while associates and management were literally crying. No one was cuffed.

EDIT: I don't think I mentioned it yet, but an electronics associate MUST check in electronics returns. This includes inspecting for damage, completeness, and troubleshooting so the member doesn't get another product that doesn't solve their problem (the number of returns I saved by informing people you don't get HD through a coaxial cable or composite (RCA) cables is large).

Last edited by tyr_13; 20th May 2020 at 10:21 AM.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 10:21 AM   #162
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Agreed, these are all possible issues with the return, but am I right to say that we don't have a source credibly claiming that any specific one of these actually occurred?
I think you're right to say that. I don't know for sure.

My understanding is that we don't have a source credibly claiming *anything* about what exactly happened at the returns counter, prior to the events seen in the video.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 10:24 AM   #163
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Oh, I can do these in.

Nope. The membership number will easily pull up the receipt, and this is trivial to find for recent purchases with as easily searched terms as the brand, sn, size, item number, date of purchase, of an uncommonly purchased item. That shirt which could have any number of descriptions from last season is a pain, a tv from that year from a non-business is simple.

This is not a valid reason to refuse a return on anything besides software. It would be a horrible policy for televisions especially. Many large tv boxes are even designed in such a way that they can be opened and closed without breaking any seals or tape. (Those white or black plastic inserts at the base? Pinch them in, pull them out, and the top box comes completely off leaving the base box with the tv standing there.)

Only if they strongly believe the member damaged it themselves. A non-trivial number of large tvs will be damaged in shipping to the club or stocking them on the shelves. Lifting from the wrong part does it pretty easily, which is why even if you are strong enough to lift the big tv yourself, you should have a second person just to avoid torquing the box and breaking the screen.

This is a valid reason to refuse a return, but usually only temporarily, and only for non-packaging parts. Was this tv even opened?

This is a valid reason to refuse a return. For smaller items it often happens as a mistake. This would also be trivial to prove so is exceedingly unlikely in this case.

That happens, but you just keep going. Again, trivial to show if that happened.

This one happens all the time, as does paying with a check and trying to return before the check actually cleared. The policy is to return the money the way it was paid originally or store credit. Another one that happens is people wanted us to put the money on a different card because they didn't have the old one anymore. This is actually not possible to do with the systems Sam's Club uses because the card companies put it in the use terms. People would insist we could do it, but it wasn't actually possible. One of the worst things to explain, because all the business members would insist they could do it at their businesses. I have no idea if that was true for them, but it absolutely was not possible for us, even accidentally.

See above, policy is not for store credit unless they can't put it back the way it came.

Very possible. I've had to clean up returns where the first associate just decided it had to be a scam for no articulate reason, or a demonstrably false reason. Several members were very happy with the time and effort I'd spend proving them right.

Also very possible, and I've had to clean up returns where the first associate was just being a racist douchebag, and made more sales when the first associate was just being too racist a douchebag to take the time to explain things adequately to people not of their race, or primary language. I don't speak Spanish, but the Spanish speaking members would always find me.

Possible, but pretty easy to show. See my other post about standard security processes (mostly to protect the member) can be seen as a personal affront.

It is puzzling, but not outside the realm of the very possible.

When our club was closing, we had several extreme angry members, high emotions with the associates, and towards the end a cop standing right by us at the Membership desk. There were people being much more belligerent while associates and management were literally crying. No one was cuffed.

EDIT: I don't think I mentioned it yet, but an electronics associate MUST check in electronics returns. This includes inspecting for damage, completeness, and troubleshooting so the member doesn't get another product that doesn't solve their problem (the number of returns I saved by informing people you don't get HD through a coaxial cable or composite (RCA) cables is large).
Thanks for the clarifications and insights. Much appreciated.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 10:24 AM   #164
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I must have been missing the "without receipt" qualifier from this incident in the several articles I skimmed (I'm not sure how I got sucked into caring about this incident in the fist place).

When I worked retail, we'd be very skeptical about giving a refund on a high dollar value item without a receipt. But nowadays, I'd think all of that stuff is usually captured by the store when the purchase is made. The scanned TV barcode, the customer name from their credit card, and the time and date of the transaction all go into the store's database. I guess the guy could have paid cash.
Sam's Club is a membership store, so all of your purchases are tracked to your account automatically. You have to provide your membership info at checkout for this purpose.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 10:37 AM   #165
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Sam's Club is a membership store, so all of your purchases are tracked to your account automatically. You have to provide your membership info at checkout for this purpose.
For an item still in the POS, it is literally as easy as typing in their membership number, going to the purchases screen, and typing in the item number. Then waiting the 30 seconds unjustifiably old/bad system takes to bring up the purchase. It isn't actually the receipt, but it's good enough for the return because the receipt number is there, and the register system will have the rest. If information is needed from the receipt that is not there, the receipt number can be used in a different even older MSDOS prompt system to bring up a copy of the receipt going back about two years.

EDIT: This will also show if and what items from that purchase have already been returned.

Last edited by tyr_13; 20th May 2020 at 10:48 AM.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 10:37 AM   #166
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Yeah, I figured that out after posting. The name Sam's Club should have tipped me off, but it wasn't until I read tyr's post above that I realized this.
Old 20th May 2020, 01:56 PM   #167
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Heh. Lowes used to accept returns unconditionally. Even when a return was an obvious scam the associates weren't allowed to refuse it. Five gallon drums of deck stain would be returned full of water. Christmas trees, natural and artificial, would be returned for a full refund, in January.

They've changed their return policies since then.
Old 20th May 2020, 02:03 PM   #168
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

One of my favorites was seeing a customer try to return a toilet in its box at Home Depot. The associate opened the cellophane taped box, and it contained the old toilet. Guy said 'put that down as reason for return, used'. The return was denied.
Old 20th May 2020, 02:36 PM   #169
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
One of my favorites was seeing a customer try to return a toilet in its box at Home Depot. The associate opened the cellophane taped box, and it contained the old toilet. Guy said 'put that down as reason for return, used'. The return was denied.
Now imagine someone doing that with an old TV in the new TV box, trying to bully the clerk out of doing their due diligence, getting the police called on them for their belligerence, escalating, and calling the whole thing racism because he happens to be black.
Old 20th May 2020, 02:36 PM   #170
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I can imagine several ways the return might have been a problem:

- No receipt

- Item is unboxed

- Item has damage

- Item is missing parts

- No item in box

- Customer becomes belligerent when clerk proposes to look inside the box to confirm the item and all parts are being returned

- Customer wants cash but the store refunds credit card purchases back to the card

- Customer wants a refund but the store is only offering store credit

- There's no problem with the return, but the clerk is being a douchebag

- There's no problem with the return, but the clerk is being a racist douchebag

- There's no problem with the return, but the customer is getting belligerent due to misplaced anger over previous incidents

Etc. It's a long list. I haven't even gotten into all the variations on (racist) cop hanging around the returns counter instigating things.

I assume the grievance described in the suit is legitimate, but I'm still curious about how it got to that point at the returns counter.
I suppose if you were actually curious, you might have read Sam's club return policy which YOU linked to which makes it clears several of these things are not issues.

But you're not curious, you're just JAQing off.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 02:39 PM   #171
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I suppose if you were actually curious, you might have read Sam's club return policy which YOU linked to which makes it clears several of these things are not issues.
It seems to me that all of those things are potentially issues, even under the Sam's Club policy.

Quote:
But you're not curious, you're just JAQing off.
... He said, in response to a post which didn't contain a single question.

Ż\(ş_o)/Ż

ETA: Here's an actual question for you.

Aren't you even the least bit curious, just in terms of having a complete story, what was the nature of the dispute at the returns counter, that resulted in the cops showing up and throwing beatings at people?

Last edited by theprestige; 20th May 2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 20th May 2020, 02:49 PM   #172
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I know people that do that for a living.

They're called actuaries.
Oh now I'm sad.
Old 20th May 2020, 03:29 PM   #173
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Heh. Lowes used to accept returns unconditionally. Even when a return was an obvious scam the associates weren't allowed to refuse it. Five gallon drums of deck stain would be returned full of water. Christmas trees, natural and artificial, would be returned for a full refund, in January.

I used to work for a department store that had one of those no questions asked return policies. Employees were told to issue a slight challenge like "This brand isn't and has never been sold by this store" and if the customer didn't leave then either issure a refund based on the price tag, or make them an offer.

One big scam was in fragrances. A customer buys ( or steals ) a plastic wrapped bod with a bottle of perfume in it, somehow opens the plastic wrapper. takes out the box and bottle, removes the bottle and replaces it with something of similar weight as the bottle, usually a rock, reseals the plastic wrapper and returns the box with the rock in it for a full refund.

Sales associates wouldn't examine the wrapping and issue a full refund. Later someone else some back with the actual bottle of perfume and returns it saying " I tried it for a week and I hate it, sorry I threw out the box" and gets a refund.

Stealing things and returning them was par for the course.

Then there was the buy an expensive item of clothing, wear it for a while then return it for a refund with the insistence that" No, it's never been worn" scam.

Thieves and scammers knew how store security worked and store security knew that thieves and scammers knew how store security worked so there was this constant dance with both groups trying to stay one step ahead of each other.

Got a really obvious thief scoping the place out ? Don't pay too that person because they're a distraction for the real thief whose no too far behind. Sometimes store security would act and look like thieves so the real thieves would relax and ply their trade confident that the other thief will have store securities attention.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 03:35 PM   #174
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I am not sure that the reason for the altercation is important. We know that it was not a fraudulent return because the police took possession of the television at the shop and returned it to the Grays. If it had been an old television set that they were trying to fraudulently return then the police would have kept it as evidence.

So here is an idea. The Grays come in with the television to return it for the reasons they give, because of the false accusation by the store that the son was trying to steal it. They also say they want to cancel their membership.

The on duty manager comes out to see if he can sort the issue out, given it is a long time member. They start to discuss the issue and it turns into an argument about who did what and why it was unreasonable. The argument becomes heated.

Tom Lehrer - Folk Song Army
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 03:51 PM   #175
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

The reason for the return is about as relevant as the color of the guy's socks. Nobody has a reasonable explanation for how or why the police got involved.

Why is the violence being questioned less than shopping habits?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 03:59 PM   #176
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Now imagine someone doing that with an old TV in the new TV box, trying to bully the clerk out of doing their due diligence, getting the police called on them for their belligerence, escalating, and calling the whole thing racism because he happens to be black.
Bingo. Now imagine a society that is full of people who are either white and trying desperately hard to be as non-racist toward blacks as possible (and distance themselves from their ancestors in this regard), giving them the benefit of the doubt automatically whenever they claim to be the victims of a racist incident OR black people who automatically side with other black people in such claims.

Now, if your society is that - or even vaguely like that, do we think such false claims become more, or less likely?

Hmm.

L.L. Bean recently changed a very unconditional return system too. These are all symptoms of moving from a homogeneous, high trust society to... this mess.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 03:59 PM   #177
cmikes
Muse

I used to work at Hills Department Stores (regional chain, they went out of business decades ago) and covered the service desk on occasion. The most frustrating part of the job was telling a customer that I couldn't accept a return because of our store policies, having them complain to a manager, then being told to process the return anyway. Everyone knew that management would accept anything, but we still had to go through the motions every time.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 04:13 PM   #178
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
The reason for the return is about as relevant as the color of the guy's socks. Nobody has a reasonable explanation for how or why the police got involved.

Why is the violence being questioned less than shopping habits?
What would questioning the violence look like?

Either the cops had a good reason to intervene, or they didn't. Unless you're already certain they had no good reason, then it seems like some inquiry into the circumstances around the return is appropriate.
Old 20th May 2020, 04:19 PM   #179
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

"Hey, why'd the cops beat those two up? Doesn't look like they were committing a crime or anything."
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 04:33 PM   #180
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I think it would look like a black guy and his grandma asking "Why are you doing this to me?!?"

Quote:
Either the cops had a good reason to intervene, or they didn't. Unless you're already certain they had no good reason, then it seems like some inquiry into the circumstances around the return is appropriate.
Agreed. As skeptics, kind of a no-brainer
Old 20th May 2020, 07:19 PM   #181
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

It seems to me that you and others are very willing to dream up all sorts of scenarios for what the Grays were doing, such as returning an old television to commit fraud, although we know that this is not the case.

But you are not willing to ask why the cops rush straight in to grab the son without getting an explanation of what is going on or trying to de-escalate.

Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 07:57 PM   #182
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Hey, why'd the cops beat those two up?
Makes sense.

Quote:
Doesn't look like they were committing a crime or anything."
How closely have you looked? This seems less like questioning the violence and more like having an answer.
Old 20th May 2020, 07:59 PM   #183
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

I am not aware of any evidence that any crime was committed by the customers. If I'm missing something, let me know.
Old 20th May 2020, 08:09 PM   #184
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
But you are not willing to ask why the cops rush straight in to grab the son without getting an explanation of what is going on or trying to de-escalate.
Okay. Why did the cops rush straight in to grab the son without getting an explanation of what is going on or trying to de-escalate?

Are we even sure that's exactly what happened?
Old 20th May 2020, 09:47 PM   #185
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Okay. Why did the cops rush straight in to grab the son without getting an explanation of what is going on or trying to de-escalate?

Are we even sure that's exactly what happened?
Did you see the video?

Old 20th May 2020, 09:51 PM   #186
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I am not aware of any evidence that any crime was committed by the customers. If I'm missing something, let me know.
Also, no-one has suggested a crime that they could plausibly have been committing.

Old 20th May 2020, 10:49 PM   #187
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Did you see the video?
Yes, we have store security video of it, did you not watch it or read my previous post summarizing what happened in it?

The first cop to arrive walks over to where Derek and his mother are talking with the employee. Derek and the cop exchange words (sorry not a lip reader) and then the cop tries to grab Derek's arm in an attempt to cuff him.

So yes, the cop walks in and immediately determines that the agitated black guy need to be in handcuffs, an action that started the entire incident.

This is the same cop that decided that since the black guy didn't allow him to put on those cuffs and was now walking away from him back to where his mother was, that the black guy needed to be tackled forcefully into a wall where a fire extinguisher was hanging, and then suplexed into the concrete floor of the store.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 10:53 PM   #188
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Also, no-one has suggested a crime that they could plausibly have been committing.
The police did claim that Derek pulled the fire extinguisher from the wall in an attempt to attack the cop with it, though strangely he was never charged with it. Probably because the store video clearly shows that what really happened was that after being slammed into the wall and fire extinguisher by a cop tackling him from behind, Derek grabbed the fire extinguisher to try and prevent the cop from suplexing him into the concrete floor, an action that failed when the extinguisher simply came loose from its housing.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 11:24 PM   #189
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Are you suggesting that’s what happened this time?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 11:42 PM   #190
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Remember, this happened in America, land of the free and home of the brave -

- where a white cop can harass and detain a black man for picking up trash outside his home;

- where a white cop can walk into a black man's apartment and gun him down while he is sitting on his sofa eating ice-cream

- where white cops can bust into wrong house (and by "wrong", I mean 10 miles away from the one they were looking for), looking for a black suspect they already had in custody and shot the black woman owner eight times in her bed, killing her

- where two white rednecks (one an ex-Cop) can gun down and kill black jogger in cold blood, and it takes a leaked video months later, and a public outcry before law enforcement are shamed into taking action.

So, what the **** ever gave you the idea that a cop even needs a good reason to intervene when a black man is having an argument in a shop - he's ******* black isn't he? Hell yeah!!! That is the only ******* reason he thinks he needs!!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th May 2020 at 11:50 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 12:07 AM   #191
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Yes, we have store security video of it, did you not watch it or read my previous post summarizing what happened in it?

The first cop to arrive walks over to where Derek and his mother are talking with the employee. Derek and the cop exchange words (sorry not a lip reader) and then the cop tries to grab Derek's arm in an attempt to cuff him.

So yes, the cop walks in and immediately determines that the agitated black guy need to be in handcuffs, an action that started the entire incident.

This is the same cop that decided that since the black guy didn't allow him to put on those cuffs and was now walking away from him back to where his mother was, that the black guy needed to be tackled forcefully into a wall where a fire extinguisher was hanging, and then suplexed into the concrete floor of the store.
I can't see the video due to the sites lazy approach to GDPR regs in Europe. Is there any video of the moments before the cops turn up or does it start with the cops walking in?

Is this the video?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I believe the full 27 minute video is available at this location I can't access it though. If it is 27 minutes long that suggests a fair bit of "something" before the cops became involved. Can somebody go over and have a looksee?

Last edited by bluesjnr; 21st May 2020 at 12:21 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:26 AM   #192
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

While ST's overcome with excitement at finally having a fan fiction scenario where the black guy is in the wrong to get his teeth into, let's remember, of course, that even if this had happened, it was after Derek Grey had been accused by a police officer of committing a crime that had occurred only in that officer's imagination. There's literally no way Grey could be seen to be in the wrong in the encounter that led to the later incident (as well as, of course, not a shred of evidence that either Grey did a single thing illegal, immoral or even vaguely questionable at any point in the entire proceedings).

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:50 AM   #193
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I can't see the video due to the sites lazy approach to GDPR regs in Europe. Is there any video of the moments before the cops turn up or does it start with the cops walking in?

Is this the video?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I believe the full 27 minute video is available at this location I can't access it though. If it is 27 minutes long that suggests a fair bit of "something" before the cops became involved. Can somebody go over and have a looksee?
That is it, though it's a bit chopped up. It doesn't show the initial grab which happened prior to first part of the video shown starting, and then later on for some reason they jump over it with an edit. It does show the tackle and "supplex" with Derek vainly grabbing hold of the fire extinguisher to stop himself from being thrown backwards.

The rest of the 27 minutes really is just the two on the ground with the cops holding them down before they are taken out as is shown in this edited version. Most of the "action" happens in the first couple of minutes.

Old 21st May 2020, 02:05 AM   #194
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Oh now I'm sad.
Sorry

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 03:14 AM   #195
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
While ST's overcome with excitement at finally having a fan fiction scenario where the black guy is in the wrong to get his teeth into, let's remember, of course, that even if this had happened, it was after Derek Grey had been accused by a police officer of committing a crime that had occurred only in that officer's imagination. There's literally no way Grey could be seen to be in the wrong in the encounter that led to the later incident (as well as, of course, not a shred of evidence that either Grey did a single thing illegal, immoral or even vaguely questionable at any point in the entire proceedings).

Dave
The surname is Gray not Grey. It's not a colour thing.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 03:18 AM   #196
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
The surname is Gray not Grey. It's not a colour thing.
Damn, accidental racism. Mea culpa

Dave

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 06:44 AM   #197
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

You're missing that you have to imagine that's what they were doing. If you imagine hard enough you can convince yourself that everything's alright.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 06:48 AM   #198
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Remember, this happened in America, land of the free and home of the brave -

- where a white cop can harass and detain a black man for picking up trash outside his home;

- where a white cop can walk into a black man's apartment and gun him down while he is sitting on his sofa eating ice-cream

- where white cops can bust into wrong house (and by "wrong", I mean 10 miles away from the one they were looking for), looking for a black suspect they already had in custody and shot the black woman owner eight times in her bed, killing her

- where two white rednecks (one an ex-Cop) can gun down and kill black jogger in cold blood, and it takes a leaked video months later, and a public outcry before law enforcement are shamed into taking action.

So, what the **** ever gave you the idea that a cop even needs a good reason to intervene when a black man is having an argument in a shop - he's ******* black isn't he? Hell yeah!!! That is the only ******* reason he thinks he needs!!
Why are you yelling at me?

ETA: Also, the attitude expressed in this post is every bit as bigoted as the attitude it condemns.

Last edited by theprestige; 21st May 2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 21st May 2020, 07:06 AM   #199
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It does show the tackle and "supplex" with Derek vainly grabbing hold of the fire extinguisher to stop himself from being thrown backwards.
It also shows Derek Gray repeatedly exhibiting clearly threatening behavior by backing away from police officers. The poor dears must have been terrified.

Dave

Old 21st May 2020, 07:11 AM   #200
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Did you see the video?
I've read PW's summary, which I trust to be accurate.

We don't know what happened before the beginning of that clip. We don't have any audio of what was said, before or during the clip.

So no, I don't think we can be sure that "without getting an explanation of what is going on or trying to de-escalate" is exactly what happened.

But okay, whatever. We can still question why what happened in that video happened in that video. Why did it happen? Do you know?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events