ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assassinations , JFK assassination , John F. Kennedy , Kennedy conspiracies

Old 5th May 2020, 03:21 AM   #3241
HSienzant
Illuminator

Here's a review of Bugliosi's tome from 2007:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/20/b...urrough-t.html

Hank

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 08:11 PM   #3242
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HSienzant View Post
It's not necessarily more complete but it is more detailed.
One of the common complains about Posner's book is that he did not address everyone's pet CT about JFK. Too bad for them. I suppose if your CT was good enough (but still trash) it got a mention in Case Closed.

I read Posner's book and was happy with the detail. I have Bugliosi's but have not read it yet.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 10:42 PM   #3243
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Just dropping by....

Quote:
In the years since Jack Kennedy’s death there have been a plethora of theories, conspiracy theories, speculations, and plain explanations for why JFK was assassinated. They show why, at a certain level, Kennedy is a Ghost of Langley. One theory is that Castro reached out and retaliated for the CIA’s murder plots against him. That is largely speculation–the CIA had a dedicated counterintelligence operation it ran against the Cuban DGI and G-2, and had both Miami and Mexico City wired for sound. The FBI had an even more intense program. They recorded reactions to Kennedy’s death but no preparations for an attempt against him. Another theory is that the CIA murdered the president. That seems unlikely. Yet another is that it was the Cuban exiles, furious at their betrayal at the hands of Kennedy and the CIA. The exiles were not aware of the inner workings of JFK’s intense vendetta against Castro. Then there is the Mafia, said to be enraged their Havana clubs and hotels had been nationalized without a U.S. response. Lee Harvey Oswald, the putative assassin, was also acutely aware of Kennedy’s Cuba policy.

I shall leave it to Kennedy assassination historians to unravel the skeins of all these threads. There are two important points to carry away: First, all these threads revolve around CIA operations from one side or the other–Kennedy as a Ghost of Langley. Second, all the CIA assassination plotting that the Rockefeller Commission and Church Committee uncovered and investigated in the middle 1970s–all of it ended with Kennedy.
http://johnprados.com/2017/11/21/is-...y-a-cia-ghost/

and...

Quote:
The real conspiracies of the assassination aren’t about who killed JFK or how. They began in the moments after his murder and have yet to untangle completely, because they’re about what the instruments of American power were up to while Kennedy was president.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017...dark-side.html

Last edited by Allen773; 14th May 2020 at 10:44 PM.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 12:08 AM   #3244
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
Kind of over-thinking it.

All of the CT's were fully formed by June, 1964. The CIA's Mexico City Station put them all in a three or four page memo.

The simple truth is people can't stand the idea that a nobody (Oswald) killed the President.

Cuba, Castro, Mongoose, the Chicago Mob, LBJ, JMWAVE, and Vietnam are all parallel JFK issues which never intersect with the Assassination. JFK's murder has become nothing more than a parlor game similar to Jenga, wherein no matter how good you are, the whole thing comes crashing down under the weight on non-existent facts and evidence.
Old 15th May 2020, 02:52 AM   #3245
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Kind of over-thinking it.
No, you're missing his point.

All of the CT's were fully formed by June, 1964. The CIA's Mexico City Station put them all in a three or four page memo.

The simple truth is people can't stand the idea that a nobody (Oswald) killed the President.

Cuba, Castro, Mongoose, the Chicago Mob, LBJ, JMWAVE, and Vietnam are all parallel JFK issues which never intersect with the Assassination. JFK's murder has become nothing more than a parlor game similar to Jenga, wherein no matter how good you are, the whole thing comes crashing down under the weight on non-existent facts and evidence.
He doesn't disagree. From the second article Allen cited:
If you’re wondering what to make of the assassination of John F. Kennedy in light of the National Archives’ not-quite-final release of government documents related to the case, start with this: Lee Harvey Oswald was a loser with a lot to prove.

Oswald himself was murdered before the country got to know him as anything more than a smirk, and conspiracy theories buried the details of his personal life almost immediately afterward. But by the age of 13, he was already “turning around the topics of omnipotence and power … to compensate for his present shortcomings and frustrations,” according to a report written by the chief psychiatrist at Youth House, a New York detention facility where Oswald spent six weeks in 1953. At 17, he joined the Marines, but was court-martialed twice, once for accidentally shooting himself with a handgun, and another time for fighting. Oswald picked up Marxism, taught himself Russian, and defected to the Soviet Union in 1959, slashing his wrists in Moscow when it appeared he might not be able to stay. But after less than three years of working a lathe in Minsk, he returned to the U.S. He drifted from job to job, and from Dallas back to his hometown of New Orleans, where he got into a street fight and a catastrophic radio debate with anti-Castro Cuban exiles, then back to Dallas. There he tried to murder former Army General Edwin Walker, a prominent anticommunist and segregationist, by shooting a rifle into Walker’s home. He missed.

In an era before weaponized young loners seemed like a type, Oswald, by November 1963, was an anxiety-ridden 24-year-old who loathed America and had failed at essentially everything he tried. His one great stroke of luck came when newspapers announced that President Kennedy’s motorcade would pass the schoolbook depository building where Oswald had just begun working.

The newly released documents do nothing to alter the basic ballistics findings of all four government investigations into what happened at Dealey Plaza when Oswald finally made his mark: His Mannlicher-Carcano rifle fired three shots, two of which hit Kennedy from behind, and one of which killed the president.
The author, and Allen, is not arguing for a conspiracy, but against one.

The only thing I would argue against above is Oswald "taught himself Russian". There's no evidence for that, and in fact, his own diary notes how his Russian is improving only after he's spent nearly a year in Russia after his defection to the USSR.

Defected October, 1959:
https://www.history-matters.com/arch...ol16_0059b.htm

Forces himself to read self-teaching language books 8 hours a day to learn Russian Nov/Dec 1959:
https://www.history-matters.com/arch...ol16_0061b.htm

Still had an interpreter in January, 1960:
https://www.history-matters.com/arch...ol16_0062a.htm

"Russian Improves" Aug/Sept 1960:
https://www.history-matters.com/arch...ol16_0062b.htm

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto

Last edited by HSienzant; 15th May 2020 at 03:16 AM.
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 01:06 PM   #3246
Allen773
Graduate Poster

My point in posting those links was a reminder that the allegedly martyred-by-the-CIA Kennedy brothers were second to none in the Cold War era US government in terms of using the CIA as a covert tool for assassinating - or attempting to, at least - foreign leaders.

Given that Lee Harvey Oswald was a self-professed Castro fanboy, and given just how deeply invested JFK was in the CIA and NSC plots to kill Castro - right up until 11/22/1963 - and given that the CIA reviewed their existing files on Oswald right after JFK’s assassination, it stands to reason that the CIA (and Bobby Kennedy) would then be deeply invested in covering up their persistent and extensive covert ops to liquidate Castro and his regime.

Note that all those CIA assassination operations directed against foreign leaders shut down almost overnight after JFK was killed. To say those operations would have been bad optics for the CIA and the immediately constructed “Camelot” propaganda - especially given the battle for the ideological soul of the world during the Cold War - would be a dramatic understatement indeed. During the 1970s Congressional investigations into the CIA and its uses and abuses by Presidents, the revelation of the “Family Jewels” on assassination plots against foreign leaders - among other revelations - created such outrage that there were serious calls to abolish the Agency outright.

The bottom line is that for all the conspiracy theory talk about the CIA killing the Kennedys, it was precisely Jack and Bobby who were the worst offenders in using the CIA and its proxies as a hit squad against foreign leaders - especially the hated Fidel Castro.

Last edited by Allen773; 15th May 2020 at 01:12 PM.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 05:20 PM   #3247
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Which is difficult to comprehend, because history shows that many people who kill or attempt to kill people of sufficient import that that action is called "assassination" rather then "murder", turn out to be nobodies.

James Earl Ray (MLK)
Sirhan Sirhan (RFK)
John Hinckley Jr (Pres. Ronald Reagan)
Mark David Chapman (John Lennon)
Gavrilo Princip (Archduke Ferdinand)
Nathuram Godse (Mahatma Gandhi)

All nobodies.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 06:24 PM   #3248
heymatto70
Scholar

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Which is difficult to comprehend, because history shows that many people who kill or attempt to kill people of sufficient import that that action is called "assassination" rather then "murder", turn out to be nobodies.

James Earl Ray (MLK)
Sirhan Sirhan (RFK)

All nobodies.
Not to mention the other Presidential assassins other than Boothe really were nobodies as well. Czolgosz, who killed McKinley, and Guiteau who killed Garfield were randos who were crazy enough and got lucky.
heymatto70 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 06:55 PM   #3249
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by heymatto70 View Post
Not to mention the other Presidential assassins other than Boothe really were nobodies as well. Czolgosz, who killed McKinley, and Guiteau who killed Garfield were randos who were crazy enough and got lucky.
Sarah Jane Moore and Lynette "Squeeky" Fromme as well. Their attempts failed, but they deserve to be counted here.

Of course Boothe was a well-known actor, but he was one of only a few that were part of a conspiracy. Curious, aint it?

Hank

- Manifesto
Old 17th May 2020, 10:31 PM   #3250
Allen773
Graduate Poster

James Earl Ray (MLK)
Sirhan Sirhan (RFK)

All nobodies.
Wasn’t Princip actually part of a terrorist conspiracy?
Old 17th May 2020, 10:33 PM   #3251
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Sarah Jane Moore and Lynette "Squeeky" Fromme as well. Their attempts failed, but they deserve to be counted here.
Both of them women, both in Northern California, both in the same month, both targeting President Ford. Weird.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:57 PM   #3252
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Wasn’t Princip actually part of a terrorist conspiracy?
He was, (a member if "Young Bosnia" which IIRC had ties to the "Black Hand") but he was still a nobody.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 08:22 AM   #3253
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

James Earl Ray (MLK)
Sirhan Sirhan (RFK)

All nobodies.
I've said it before, but the idea that a nobody couldn't assassinate the President is completely wrong, and, in fact, opposite of the truth. Basically, ONLY a nobody could do it. A "high flyer" is going to have way too much attention on them to be able to get away with it, as would (at least in modern times) some massive conspiracy (the secret service learned from Lincoln). The only way anyone can get close enough to the President with ample ability to assassinate is going to be a quiet lone nut.
Old 18th May 2020, 07:16 PM   #3254
KDLarsen
Illuminator

He was, (a member if "Young Bosnia" which IIRC had ties to the "Black Hand") but he was still a nobody.
.. who got incredibly lucky. His co-conspirators suffered a comedy of errors to say the least, with my personal favourite being Čabrinović. First his bomb bounced off the Archduke's car, then he attempted suicide with an old cyanide pill, which only made him ill, and then he tried to throw himself off a bridge and drown himself, only to land in 13 cm of water...
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 06:19 AM   #3255
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I've said it before, but the idea that a nobody couldn't assassinate the President is completely wrong, and, in fact, opposite of the truth. Basically, ONLY a nobody could do it. A "high flyer" is going to have way too much attention on them to be able to get away with it, as would (at least in modern times) some massive conspiracy (the secret service learned from Lincoln). The only way anyone can get close enough to the President with ample ability to assassinate is going to be a quiet lone nut.
Of course history/reality proves this but then the CTs don't read about history as they merrily dance is la-la land believing nonsense theories.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 01:44 PM   #3256
Axxman300
Illuminator

I am currently binge-watching "Narcos". It relates to this thread because it is a Masters Class in assassination. You learn about planning, and execution, and all the things that will go wrong before, and after.

You learn the obvious: Every successful assassination is conducted in the simplest way possible - at close range.
Old 19th May 2020, 02:28 PM   #3257
Allen773
Graduate Poster

I am currently binge-watching "Narcos". It relates to this thread because it is a Masters Class in assassination. You learn about planning, and execution, and all the things that will go wrong before, and after.

You learn the obvious: Every successful assassination is conducted in the simplest way possible - at close range.
The first three presidential assassinations happened at close range, while Oswald, a man who had training in shooting a rifle courtesy of the US Marine Corps, killed JFK - who was riding in the back seat of a slow-moving open convertible, completely exposed - with a high-powered rifle from several floors up a building right next to the presidential motorcade route (a route which had been public knowledge for several days prior) at a distance of a few hundred feet, in broad daylight. He fired three shots, of which the second two hit Kennedy - the third, of course, being the instantly fatal shot to the head.

So that’s three presidential assassinations at very close range, and one at close enough range for a man trained with a high-powered rifle who faced favorable conditions for his task. And of the four US presidential assassins, only one - the first - was part of a conspiracy, and that was a small conspiracy that unraveled rather rapidly.

Conspiracy theories and speculation might be fun or intriguing for some folks, but at the end of the day, 99 times out of 100 an assassin is a single troubled and marginal individual, with most of the remaining 1 percent being a conspiracy of a few people who more often than not fail miserably. To the extent that high-level assassination plotting happens - at least, by the US government - the scenario is stuff like the beloved Kennedy brothers using the CIA and NSC in a vendetta against Fidel Castro.

That’s the bitter irony of the Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories; Jack and Bobby were the PERPETRATORS of assassination plots involving the CIA, not the victims. I’m actually angry at the “Camelot” revisionism and its associated assassination conspiracy theories, and I’m pretty liberal/left of center in American politics. It’s a historical lie perpetrated by grifters like Mark Lane and Oliver Stone, and judging by public opinion polls about the Kennedy assassination, it’s been remarkably successful. And it’s certainly been financially lucrative for said grifters - which only adds to my disgust and resentment.

Last edited by Allen773; 19th May 2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 21st May 2020, 07:50 PM   #3258
HSienzant
Illuminator

The first three presidential assassinations happened at close range, while Oswald, a man who had training in shooting a rifle courtesy of the US Marine Corps, killed JFK - who was riding in the back seat of a slow-moving open convertible, completely exposed - with a high-powered rifle from several floors up a building right next to the presidential motorcade route (a route which had been public knowledge for several days prior) at a distance of a few hundred feet, in broad daylight. He fired three shots, of which the second two hit Kennedy - the third, of course, being the instantly fatal shot to the head.

So that’s three presidential assassinations at very close range, and one at close enough range for a man trained with a high-powered rifle who faced favorable conditions for his task. And of the four US presidential assassins, only one - the first - was part of a conspiracy, and that was a small conspiracy that unraveled rather rapidly.

Conspiracy theories and speculation might be fun or intriguing for some folks, but at the end of the day, 99 times out of 100 an assassin is a single troubled and marginal individual, with most of the remaining 1 percent being a conspiracy of a few people who more often than not fail miserably. To the extent that high-level assassination plotting happens - at least, by the US government - the scenario is stuff like the beloved Kennedy brothers using the CIA and NSC in a vendetta against Fidel Castro.

That’s the bitter irony of the Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories; Jack and Bobby were the PERPETRATORS of assassination plots involving the CIA, not the victims. I’m actually angry at the “Camelot” revisionism and its associated assassination conspiracy theories, and I’m pretty liberal/left of center in American politics. It’s a historical lie perpetrated by grifters like Mark Lane and Oliver Stone, and judging by public opinion polls about the Kennedy assassination, it’s been remarkably successful. And it’s certainly been financially lucrative for said grifters - which only adds to my disgust and resentment.

- Manifesto
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:39 PM   #3259
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

I signed up to Amazon Prime today and have just watched Conspiracy Theorists Lie.
The Common Potato is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:52 PM   #3260
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
I signed up to Amazon Prime today and have just watched Conspiracy Theorists Lie.
Yes, that's pretty much my conclusion too, after an exhaustive reading of all 26 volumes of the Warren Commission Hearings and Exhibits.

https://www.history-matters.com/arch...s/contents.htm

What led me to read all that was that reading the various critics, they would sometimes come to different conclusions after citing the same evidence. All of them, however, argued the Warren Commission got it wrong, but none pointed out how other critics got it wrong too.

I wanted to resolve it to my own satisfaction, and hence began my reading. Originally I was spending time on my lunch hour, after work, and Saturdays reading the volumes at the NYC Public Library (the big one - I worked in mid-town). But I eventually sprung for my own set of the 26 volumes - I bought that from The Presidents Box Bookshop in the 1980s for $2500 (that was back when $2500 was real money, at least to me). I wound up reading the volumes through twice and spent a lot of nights up until two or three in the morning. My conclusion was Conspiracy Theorists Lie.

They were, in short, committing every sin they claimed the Warren Commission committed, and then some.

Hank

PS: Here's the two trailers concerning the film:

https://www.d-word.com/documentary/7...-Theorists-Lie

- Manifesto

Last edited by HSienzant; 22nd May 2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:39 AM   #3261
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

Yes, that's pretty much my conclusion too, after an exhaustive reading of all 26 volumes of the Warren Commission Hearings and Exhibits.

What led me to read all that was that reading the various critics, they would sometimes come to different conclusions after citing the same evidence. All of them, however, argued the Warren Commission got it wrong, but none pointed out how other critics got it wrong too.

I wanted to resolve it to my own satisfaction, and hence began my reading. Originally I was spending time on my lunch hour, after work, and Saturdays reading the volumes at the NYC Public Library (the big one - I worked in mid-town). But I eventually sprung for my own set of the 26 volumes - I bought that from The Presidents Box Bookshop in the 1980s for $2500 (that was back when $2500 was real money, at least to me). I wound up reading the volumes through twice and spent a lot of nights up until two or three in the morning. My conclusion was Conspiracy Theorists Lie.

They were, in short, committing every sin they claimed the Warren Commission committed, and then some.

Hank

I've been a member here for about a year but was one of those lurkers that are occasionally appealed to for a while before that. I spent about two months reading pretty solidly, catching up on this thread from part 1, post 1 to part 4, the one with the Wales, which had then just started.

I am aware your of own history regarding JFK :-)

It was reading here that informed me as to how mixed up conspiracists are.

Last edited by The Common Potato; 23rd May 2020 at 12:42 AM.
The Common Potato is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:36 AM   #3262
bknight
Master Poster

Hank

Which goes to prove that the CTs are still out there and still believe that a conspiracy occurred in this assignation and the WC hid the "truth" and lied to everybody. What I find interesting s that the most simple dynamics are disproved easily, but the CTs still don't get it. The main pro-conspiracy tell a suave appealing story that is full of fallacies that normal people get connected unless they do critical thinking that defeats the story with hard physical evidence and science.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:32 PM   #3263
Axxman300
Illuminator

The root of the JFK Assassination CTs is the Vietnam War.

The theories started in 1964 as Mark Lane did work for Oswald's mother. He, like any good defense lawyer, knowingly took advantage of the gray areas by using the conflicting testimonies which came out of of the chaos to weave a counter narrative.

Basically, "Forget what these two hundred people saw, I've got six witnesses who saw something else."

Lifton and other "researchers jumped into the CT game too, maybe because they genuinely believed there was a conspiracy, but mostly to make a buck. Even today a JFK CT book will sell well.

All of this occurred in the vacuum of the 1960s and 70s before the Zapruder Film became available to public viewing. By that time Hollywood movies had become more violent and gory thanks to evolving special makeup effects. By the time most Americans viewed the film they had been conditioned that the skull explodes outward from a frontal gunshot wound. It made the "Back and To the Left" nonsense believable to the average person who's never shot anyone, nor seen anyone shot with a high powered rifle. Hence the second gunman lunacy was given eternal life.

Flash forward to 2020. Americans are all too familiar with what one man with a gun can do. Oswald is just one of a list of shooters who killed someone on their lunch hour. The Assassination CTs are beginning to die off with the Boomers who spread them and accepted them as gospel. Younger Americans have grown up understanding that the US Government is fully capable of colossal blunders without resorting to false flags or conspiracies to manipulate the masses.
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:39 PM   #3264
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Flash forward to 2020. Americans are all too familiar with what one man with a gun can do.
Look at how much damage Anders Breivik and Stephen Paddock did, to give two examples.

Neither had help.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #3265
bknight
Master Poster

Look at how much damage Anders Breivik and Stephen Paddock did, to give two examples.

Neither had help.
I had not heard of him, but I was working offshore during that period and news came either through the internet or the three main TV channels. Interesting reading, exploded a bomb in a van and then a year later shot the remaining victims attributed to him. I wonder if he had been know as the bomber in the first incident when committing the second?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories