ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th May 2020, 07:54 PM   #41
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
A good flint knapper (worker) can make a serviceable and attractive point in under 10 minutes.

A group I was in used to run a competition based on this premise.
Old 16th May 2020, 07:55 PM   #42
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ShadowSot View Post
Jason Colavitos blog is also a good skeptical reference.
There's also the Archy fantasies podcast, and Ken Feder and Jeb card have a few books out on it.
Jason is my "go-to-guy" for all things archaeology. I loved the comprehensive demolition job he did in of Scott Wolter's BS crackpot archaeology series "America Unearthed"

He's really worth a read if you like seeing crackpot history systematically debunked

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 16th May 2020 at 07:59 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 03:55 AM   #43
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Oh yeah I deal with pseudo-archaeology all the time of various forum. My favorite is 'ancient people could work rocks especially hard rocks' - impossible must have been done by aliens or Atlanteans.

A modern person doing the 'impossible' with stone tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ2bHE7mTi4
3.39 in length

Yeah but she used an anvil to break a stone and that set was commercially made!

Always like seeing “if you have a long time you can do amazing things”. After doing a few of these I’d bet she’d soon have her speed up.
Old 17th May 2020, 02:11 PM   #44
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Eric Von D is a gem. Once on AE he gushed over what he thought was an obvious Alien Landing strip on a "Cut off mountain top" it was, in fact, a plateau.

To Eric Von D "Done by Aliens" is the first thought to pop into his head about just about everything. He heavily relies on the ignorance of his readers - especially ignorance of matters technical.

When I visited Giza a number of year ago, I looked at the construction of the pyramids with a critical eye for detail. To Von D they were obviously made using machinery. To me they were obviously not!

If machinery was used the blocks of stone would have been uniform in size and this they certainly were not. Each was fitted to the adjacent stones and were different sizes, so the horizontal seams were crooked.
Old 17th May 2020, 04:46 PM   #45
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
To Eric Von D "Done by Aliens" is the first thought to pop into his head about just about everything. He heavily relies on the ignorance of his readers.
Which is why CotG fascinated me when I was 13 years old, but by the time I was 16, I was able to see through all the massive holes in his narrative.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 08:03 PM   #46
Thorkil2
Student

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Okay, so explain the pyramids. Explain Stonehenge.

It's been proven that humans couldn't do it.

Explain this: humans aren't smart, humans see spaceships, humans are now smart, microwave ovens, Google.

Seriously. Explain that.

Aliums.

I'm a Belieber.
Not sure what to make of this. I assume there's a touch of sarcasm, but it's uncertain, so in case I'm wrong, my question is "It's been proven" by whom?
Thorkil2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 09:32 PM   #47
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I watched Ancient Aliens today and the Easter Island statues were being undone.

The AA experts knew why and knew men could not move them without amazing technology.

Thor Heyerdahl knew in the early 50's that islanders could make them and walked them to the platforms, only with men and ropes.
Because he did it with them. He took pictures of them doing it and wrote a book.
What Thor H didn't know was exactly why they were made save for local legends. He didn't speculate it was for anything alien.

I read that book at the same part of my life Chariots of the Gods was new.
I knew in five pages which was plausible and which was lazy brainfarting.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 05:59 AM   #48
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thorkil2 View Post
Not sure what to make of this. I assume there's a touch of sarcasm, but it's uncertain, so in case I'm wrong, my question is "It's been proven" by whom?
The science men proved it. Simple men couldn't carry those blocks, although there's an interesting theory I read in Weekly World News once that suggested some kind of race of superhuman could've done it. I prefer the alien theory, because... Spaceships.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 02:50 PM   #49
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thorkil2 View Post
The science men proved it. Simple men couldn't carry those blocks, although there's an interesting theory I read in Weekly World News once that suggested some kind of race of superhuman could've done it. I prefer the alien theory, because... Spaceships.

Either heavily disguised sarcasm or thinly veiled stupidity methinks.
Old 19th May 2020, 04:39 PM   #50
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Either heavily disguised sarcasm or thinly veiled stupidity methinks.

He's a scouser, so it could be either, but I'm going with obvious sarcasm

Old 19th May 2020, 09:12 PM   #51
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Sarcasm all the way.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 05:20 AM   #52
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Very nicely done.

"I read in Weekly World News"

Genius, sir

Nominated.

My sarcasm detectors are working fine, and that's beautiful, also the last line.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 08:59 AM   #53
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I struggle to think how it could've been more obvious, tbh. Next time, I'll add a Ba-Dum-Tss

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; 20th May 2020 at 09:02 AM.
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 09:02 AM   #54
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And some people say you Kiwis are soft! A pint of Fosters for you! (Yes, that's also a joke!)

Old 20th May 2020, 09:03 AM   #55
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Very nicely done.

"I read in Weekly World News"

Genius, sir

Nominated.

My sarcasm detectors are working fine, and that's beautiful, also the last line.
My auntie is the real genius, she genuinely read Weekly World News, I merely found it under the couch and had a morbid giggle!

Old 20th May 2020, 04:55 PM   #56
Thor 2
Philosopher

My auntie is the real genius, she genuinely read Weekly World News, I merely found it under the couch and had a morbid giggle!

We have The Woman's Weekly here in Australia which may have the same publisher. We don't drink Fosters over here any more by the way. You Poms are the only ones who drink it now.
Old 20th May 2020, 08:01 PM   #57
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

We have The Woman's Weekly here in Australia which may have the same publisher. We don't drink Fosters over here any more by the way. You Poms are the only ones who drink it now.
The ENTIRE WORLD knows that Fosters is a joke!
Old 20th May 2020, 09:33 PM   #58
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

The last time I had a Fosters was that one year way back in the 90s where they experimented with banning sales of alcohol in glass for New Year's Eve. The only reason I drank it then was that I got to the bottle shop a bit late and literally everything else was already gone.

There's a reason we ship it all overseas.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:26 AM   #59
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Can't stand Fosters, myself! It's almost as bad as Stella. The Fosters comment was a joke for the bloke from New Zealand, though, because most Kiwi's, from what I've heard, don't like to be confused with Aussies, and vice versa. I don't see what the fuss is about, you're all from South Africa, you should learn to get along.

Old 22nd May 2020, 04:29 AM   #60
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I've spoken about it in the drinking threads, but all of those lagers are cheap and taste awful. You don't tend to see many Stella ads now, but about ten years ago, their adverts were huge, ridiculous productions. I always said that if they put even a fraction of that money into making beer, it might actually be nice. Like Britain's Carling, it's just awful stuff, foamy urine!

Old 22nd May 2020, 09:28 AM   #61
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I've spoken about it in the drinking threads, but all of those lagers are cheap and taste awful. You don't tend to see many Stella ads now, but about ten years ago, their adverts were huge, ridiculous productions. I always said that if they put even a fraction of that money into making beer, it might actually be nice. Like Britain's Carling, it's just awful stuff, foamy urine!
And the sad thing is that when Carling was a local Canadian brewery Black Label was at least drinkable. I guess that, like Fosters, internationalization has not been kind to it.
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:00 PM   #62
EHocking
Philosopher

Can't stand Fosters, myself! It's almost as bad as Stella. The Fosters comment was a joke for the bloke from New Zealand, though, because most Kiwi's, from what I've heard, don't like to be confused with Aussies, and vice versa. I don't see what the fuss is about, you're all from South Africa, you should learn to get along.
Years ago Fosters UK attempted to market a “cream ale/lager”. I tried Googling for it, but it looks like Fosters we’re so disappointed in its disgusting taste that they have removified its existence from the interwebs.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:29 PM   #63
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Probably an Everton fan.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:02 PM   #64
curious cat
Critical Thinker

I watched program "Ancient aliens" on Australian National TV yesterday. The fact they aired it shocked me immensely. A couple of some highschool dropouts were, with straight faces, presenting ideas like some major volcanic eruptions were deliberately caused by aliens. The reason was simple and straightforward: There are alien bases in the volcanoes and when the aliens were becoming uncomfortable with human cities coming too close, they just blasted the volcano and destroyed them. This is virtually word by word what these people were saying - besides of other similar pearls...
Is there any intelligent life on this planet?
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:36 PM   #65
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
Probably an Everton fan.
Thinly veiled stupidity it is then!

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd May 2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:06 PM   #66
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post
I watched program "Ancient aliens" on Australian National TV yesterday. The fact they aired it shocked me immensely. A couple of some highschool dropouts were, with straight faces, presenting ideas like some major volcanic eruptions were deliberately caused by aliens. The reason was simple and straightforward: There are alien bases in the volcanoes and when the aliens were becoming uncomfortable with human cities coming too close, they just blasted the volcano and destroyed them. This is virtually word by word what these people were saying - besides of other similar pearls...
I occasionally watch Ancient Aliens for its value as comedy gold. It is most entertaining watching idiots like Giorgio Tsoukalos repeatedly reaching clear, firm and definite conclusions from the flimsiest and most diaphonous of what laughingly passes as "evidence".

It can also be a useful educational tool - if you want to see practical examples of applications of logical fallacies such as "Affirming the Consequent", "Affirming a Disjunct", "Alleged Certainty", "False Dichotomy", "Anonymous Authority" and many, many more, its hard to go past an episode of Ancient Aliens

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd May 2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:07 PM   #67
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, there's some thread drift!
I just watched the video of the woman making the duck vase. Awesome. Nice to see something good come out of Russia.
Old 24th May 2020, 06:06 PM   #68
Thorkil2
Student

I struggle to think how it could've been more obvious, tbh. Next time, I'll add a Ba-Dum-Tss
Surely seems so now, though a backup band with a good drummer is always useful. Alas, I am apparently deprived intellectually in having no knowledge of the Weekly World News, but (again the assumptions) suppose from the context of these replies that it is equivalent to our own National Enquirer. Sorry for the uncertainty, but I encounter so many people who are true and absolute beliebers (though that should have given it away. Mea Culpa.).
Thorkil2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 06:11 PM   #69
Thorkil2
Student

At times I believe there is, undeterrably incognito, holding their true identities secret with the most effective and indiscernible disguise imaginable, as contributing consultants to "Ancient Aliens" (with speaking roles, no less).
Old 24th May 2020, 06:46 PM   #70
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Eric Von D is a gem. Once on AE he gushed over what he thought was an obvious Alien Landing strip on a "Cut off mountain top" it was, in fact, a plateau.
My favorite was when he discovered hexagonal basalt on Easter Island, evidently for the first time in his life, and wrote that there was no possible way it was a natural phenomenon.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 07:22 PM   #71
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

And some people say you Kiwis are soft! A pint of Fosters for you! (Yes, that's also a joke!)
Oi!

Old 24th May 2020, 07:43 PM   #72
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Yes, plenty.

Just not on that show.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM   #73
Rincewind
Philosopher

I believe the traditional reply to your question is, "Yes, but I'm only visiting!"
Old Today, 11:20 AM   #74
MohamedTaqi
Thinker

The thing with those who believe in ancient aliens is that they think that their belief is somehow smarter and more advanced than any belief in Gods or angels or saints... While the fact is that it is just as dumb as any other unjustified belief : that and new age nonsense and conspiracies.
Old Today, 10:18 PM   #75
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Ancient Aliens the program is an industry more than a belief. Giorgio is a magazine editor, others are writers and such.

The name under the face, with "author of Amazing Empty Woo" is more than a statement of some authority, it is some title you would want to get if you fall for the crap they say.

The plan goes usually a statement of the theme. Then they dig throgh a pile of history and mystery for any event or artifact that can "prove" the point made. Rinse and repeat a bunch of times with stuff dislocated by time and distances until it kinda sorta looks possible Bigfoot and Vlad Dracul co wrote Hamlet using alien technology.
Or some other odd idea.
It doesn't matter what as long as they looked scholarly presenting a big pile of donkey dung. And maybe inspired you as curious to find his magazine or book and pay for it.

If ratings stay up they get renewed for another season and stay fat paid too.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal