ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Old 22nd May 2020, 01:33 AM   #2481
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I was surprised at the Roddie charge myself. What we have seen so far doesn't seem to me to justify a felony charge. However, the police have seen more. It may very well be that he used his car as a deadly weapon in a threatening manner.
Why were you surprised? From the initial statement according to McMichae1 (sic) he was as involved as they were - from the police report:

"....McMichae1 stated the unidentified male turned around and began running back the direction from which he came and " Roddy" attempted to block him which was unsuccessful.... "
Old 22nd May 2020, 01:48 AM   #2482
IsThisTheLife
Muse

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Agreed. There is no concept of carrying for self defense. Aggression only.
Maybe. But we still don't know what the McMichaels already knew about Arbery. If they were at all aware of his penchant for threatening and aggressive behaviour, even with cops, they might have figured that they needed to be armed to intimidate him into acquiescence. And they'd have been right, but even that wasn't enough to stop the dumb bastard attacking them.

From the bodycam footage we've seen he was manifestly an unbalanced thug who'd be triggered in an instant into losing what little capacity he had for self-restraint - what would go through your mind running into someone dressed like him and with his demeanour (particularly in a secluded area), the low pants and boxers/basketball pants sticking out, bare-chested under a parka on a warm spring/summer's day?

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 22nd May 2020 at 01:49 AM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:03 AM   #2483
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Maybe. But we still don't know what the McMichaels already knew about Arbery. If they were at all aware of his penchant for threatening and aggressive behaviour, even with cops, they might have figured that they needed to be armed to intimidate him into acquiescence. And they'd have been right, but even that wasn't enough to stop the dumb bastard attacking them.

From the bodycam footage we've seen he was manifestly an unbalanced thug who'd be triggered in an instant into losing what little capacity he had for self-restraint - what would go through your mind running into someone dressed like him and with his demeanour (particularly in a secluded area), the low pants and boxers/basketball pants sticking out, bare-chested under a parka on a warm spring/summer's day?
This is the longest collections of euphemisms for the word “black” I’ve ever seen. Congratulations.

Come on, someone can do better. No mention of the hairstyle to start with.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:07 AM   #2484
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

According to McMichael their victim made at least one attempt to escape them and avoid a confrontation. They forced a confrontation.
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:08 AM   #2485
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This is interesting.

A previous defence of the McMichaels has relied on them not knowing who he was. Because if they knew who he was then they didn't need to do anything other than call the police and tell them who he was.

Now the defence is that they did know who he was.

Even then, it's a stupid defence, because it doesn't actually exonerate them. It doesn't make what they did any less of a felony, and it doesn't make his death any less of a murder. It just is an excuse for why they might have thought that the stupid felony they committed was a slightly less stupid felony.

Quote:
I see we're back to being afraid of black people.

At least the racists are openly admitting that it's all based on fear and paranoia.
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:49 AM   #2486
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
If you had to guess, what do you think Roddie will reveal when he spills the beans on the hillbillies?
I think I agree with you on this one. There's plenty of evidence to convict all three of felony murder without making a deal for anyone.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 03:00 AM   #2487
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
This is interesting.

A previous defence of the McMichaels has relied on them not knowing who he was. Because if they knew who he was then they didn't need to do anything other than call the police and tell them who he was.

Even then, it's a stupid defence, because it doesn't actually exonerate them. It doesn't make what they did any less of a felony, and it doesn't make his death any less of a murder. It just is an excuse for why they might have thought that the stupid felony they committed was a slightly less stupid felony.

...snip...
For them to have any kind of defence they need to say their initial statements to the police were all wrong, I can almost hear the prosecutor thinking "go on - you are doing my job for me".
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:11 AM   #2488
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
The video was released May 5. That's when GBI bot involved. New DA assigned on May 12. The previous DA accepted the offer of help from GBI and asked that the case be assigned to a new DA. So GBI was probably waiting until the new DA got assigned and up to speed before taking any action.

But maybe they got a phone or computer that showed communications between McMichaels and Roddie. But reports were that nobody saw GBI taking anything away.

So maybe they have new evidence. Or maybe it is just getting things in order proceeding with the new crew.
Thanks for this. Your point is well taken, the current crop of investigators hasn't really been on the case that long.

Arresting the McMichaels was probably a much easier conclusion to reach. Maybe it just took a bit more time to make a decision about Roddie. From the perspective of the current DA, not that much time has passed, so reading into timing like I was is probably unwise.

If all this had happened back in February, it really wouldn't have been that unusual. Things are only strange now because of the corrupt games the previous DA's were playing.
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:01 AM   #2489
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is not a good sign for the McMichaels.

I see this as an indicator that they view things the same way that most in this thread do - the McMichaels and Bryan were committing a felony, during the course of which someone was killed and under law that means it was felony murder.
I'm still a bit more pessimistic. Again my mind can't get past the fact of how long after the fact all of this is happening.

Again I can't fully grasp how the "I don't see how they can get away with it!" mentality works when they already well and good had.

As I stated before my fear is now they are going to pile on the charges specifically to set it up so them getting a slap on the wrist is seen as some "reasonable compromise."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:37 AM   #2490
whoanellie
Muse

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This is the longest collections of euphemisms for the word “black” I’ve ever seen. Congratulations.

Come on, someone can do better. No mention of the hairstyle to start with.
Those aren't 'euphemisms' more like racist dog whistles.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:40 AM   #2491
whoanellie
Muse

This is interesting.

If they knew who Arbery was it is actually much worse for the McMichaels. As you say, if they knew who he was they didn't need to chase after him at all, much less with guns. They just needed to identify him to the responding police officers.

Last edited by whoanellie; 22nd May 2020 at 05:41 AM.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:46 AM   #2492
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
If they knew who Arbery was it is actually much worse for the McMichaels. As you say, if they knew who he was they didn't need to chase after him at all, much less with guns. They just needed to identify him to the responding police officers.
Awww, there's no fun in that.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:46 AM   #2493
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Is there any credible evidence anywhere that the McMichaels knew who Arbery was?

I only see accusations by the racists trying to paint Arbery as a menace widely known by local law enforcement. This strikes me as purely speculative and wishful thinking by those motivated to paint a black victim as the aggressor.
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:47 AM   #2494
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
That's going to be a huge logical hurdle for the defense to leap if they try to claim they thought they were in pursuit of a thief. Did they think he stole a pocket's worth of nails? An uninstalled doorknob?
A bigger hurdle about their claim that they thought they were pursuing a thief is the fact that he hadn't stolen anything. So they weren't.

The Georgia Citizen's Arrest laws require immediate knowledge of a crime. "We thought he did something wrong" is not "immediate knowledge."

Heck, even if he had taken a doorknob, they had no knowledge of that when they chased him.
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:53 AM   #2495
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Is there any credible evidence anywhere that the McMichaels knew who Arbery was?

I only see accusations by the racists trying to paint Arbery as a menace widely known by local law enforcement. This strikes me as purely speculative and wishful thinking by those motivated to paint a black victim as the aggressor.
From the initial report "...Michae1 stated the unidentified male began to ..."

If it does turn out they already knew him that would make it even worse for them!
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:09 AM   #2496
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

It's hard to keep up with all the claims that have been made, and whether they are credible. I do remember seeing a claim that the father had been involved with one of the shoplifting cases, and therefore was familiar with the victim. Then again, credible or not, I have no idea but that claim is out there.
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:26 AM   #2497
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

If it does turn out they already knew him that would make it even worse for them!
As I understand it, they recognized him but didn't know his name, rank, and serial number. More like 'theres that guy again' than 'check it out, it's Ahmaud'

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:29 AM   #2498
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

This is a felony. They'll be going down hard if they run with that as a defense.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:38 AM   #2499
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Old 22nd May 2020, 07:30 AM   #2500
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm still a bit more pessimistic. Again my mind can't get past the fact of how long after the fact all of this is happening.

Again I can't fully grasp how the "I don't see how they can get away with it!" mentality works when they already well and good had.
Your second paragraph here is the reason for your first.

There's national attention, and the GBI is involved. The charges are felonies.

I expect the authorities (who are different authorities who let them get away with it - partially because they knew them personally) are going to do their jobs.

This doesn't mean that I think they will be convicted. Whether or not the jurors think it's okay to murder a black man will be very important.

But it seems like the authorities are doing their jobs properly and, from my layman's position, it looks like the case is pretty clear-cut against the McMichaels - unless you're starting from the position that it is okay to murder black men, or from the position that you move in the same circles as the McMichaels and therefore have to protect them. I think it's unlikely that the latter applies to the current authorities, and I think that the public attention will work to mitigate the former, if it needs mitigation.
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:47 AM   #2501
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Your second paragraph here is the reason for your first.

There's national attention, and the GBI is involved. The charges are felonies.

I expect the authorities (who are different authorities who let them get away with it - partially because they knew them personally) are going to do their jobs.
Yeah and I get that all of this should make me feel more confident it just... doesn't.

This level of corruption is very rarely this localized. If a DA is this sloppy, whoever was above her was letting her be this sloppy. It's government everyone answers to someone, theortically.

If the local DA (the now recused Jackie Johnson) is the kind of DA where an unarmed person takes two shotgun blasts to the chest in broad daylight and it doesn't even trigger an arrest or investigation I can't imagine her uppers were totally unaware of it. So they were okay with it until national media made them look bad. And the people above them. The stain only washes off a little with each step, we ain't high enough for me to have confidence yet.

Hope yes, confidence no. So yeah I'm not buying that if Georgia is the kind of state that can't even be bothered with one of their citizens being run down on the street and given two shots to the chest and their response is "There's no possible way this is a crime, we don't even have to look into it" then I'm having trouble buying that agencies like the GBI were A) not aware that crap like this was happening) and B) are the best choice to fix it.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 22nd May 2020 at 07:50 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:58 AM   #2502
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah and I get that all of this should make me feel more confident it just... doesn't.

This level of corruption is very rarely this localized. If a DA is this sloppy, whoever was above her was letting her be this sloppy. It's government everyone answers to someone, theortically.

If the local DA (the now recused Jackie Johnson) is the kind of DA where an unarmed person takes two shotgun blasts to the chest in broad daylight and it doesn't even trigger an arrest or investigation I can't imagine her uppers were totally unaware of it. So they were okay with it until national media made them look bad. And the people above them. The stain only washes off a little with each step, we ain't high enough for me to have confidence yet.

Hope yes, confidence no. So yeah I'm not buying that if Georgia is the kind of state that can't even be bothered with one of their citizens being run down on the street and given two shots to the chest and their response is "There's no possible way this is a crime, we don't even have to look into it" then I'm having trouble buying that agencies like the GBI were A) not aware that crap like this was happening) and B) are the best choice to fix it.
It should be noted, too, that the murderers were getting enough heat in the community that Poppa Murderer released the video, thinking (likely because he's a racist who truly can't understand why killing a black man would be a big deal) that it demonstrated their innocence. "But he ran straight at my boy!"
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:05 AM   #2503
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And yeah that's sort of my point.

When an ex-cop is soooooo confident in gunning down an unarmed black guy in the street for the vague crime of vaguely maybe doing some at some point maybe and his response to the idea that he might have done something wrong is pure, unapologetic confusion at the very idea, like literally the very idea that he might have done something wrong appears to by all accounts just be blowing this guy's mind, that's not the kind of mentality once tends to cultivate in a vacuum.

Again I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not getting a "Everything's coming up Milhouse" vibe just yet.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 22nd May 2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:19 AM   #2504
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

And yeah that's sort of my point.

When an ex-cop is soooooo confident in gunning down an unarmed black guy in the street for the vague crime of vaguely maybe doing some at some point maybe and his response to the idea that he might have done something wrong is pure, unapologetic confusion at the very idea, like literally the very idea that he might have done something wrong appears to by all accounts just be blowing this guy's mind, that's not the kind of mentality once tends to cultivate in a vacuum.

Again I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not getting a "Everything's coming up Milhouse" vibe just yet.
I wonder if you might humor me in doing a little bit of a mental exercise here.

The way you've framed what happened here leads me to wonder whether you're capable of doing this accurately... and yet, oddly also made me think maybe you can.

If you were to try to take your best guess at what Greg McMichael would say about the incident (what happened and why) - what would that look like? If you were to write "as him" ?
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:24 AM   #2505
dejudge
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
According to McMichael their victim made at least one attempt to escape them and avoid a confrontation. They forced a confrontation.
So now that Roddy has been charged ,it implies the attack on Arbery started long before the first shot was fired. Three men attacked Abery he first tried to escape then he was ambushed and shot to death.
dejudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:32 AM   #2506
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I was surprised at the Roddie charge myself. What we have seen so far doesn't seem to me to justify a felony charge. However, the police have seen more. It may very well be that he used his car as a deadly weapon in a threatening manner.
Well, if he was the chase vehicle that pushed Arbury into the trap, the he gets to eat the false imprisonment charge. Since that felony led to a death, he also gets to eat the felony murder charge.

Might be some aggressive charging, all well earned, designed to draw a plea out. But if he has to enjoy his full buffet, well, he earned it.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:33 AM   #2507
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The story is going to change everytime the story they tell makes them look bad because they didn't shoot him for a reason, they shot him for an excuse. And excuses, by their very nature, don't stay consistent.

He was a well known criminal who was a total stranger in the middle of a crime wave that both and was and wasn't happening who made them fear for their lives by fighting back while running from them after he was both trapped and running away.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 22nd May 2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:37 AM   #2508
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I wonder if you might humor me in doing a little bit of a mental exercise here.

The way you've framed what happened here leads me to wonder whether you're capable of doing this accurately... and yet, oddly also made me think maybe you can.

If you were to try to take your best guess at what Greg McMichael would say about the incident (what happened and why) - what would that look like? If you were to write "as him" ?
We don't need to guess we have what he did say.
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:38 AM   #2509
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
So now that Roddy has been charged ,it implies the attack on Arbery started long before the first shot was fired. Three men attacked Abery he first tried to escape then he was ambushed and shot to death.
That was known from the moment the police turned up.
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:39 AM   #2510
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

As I say, I don't disagree that the corruption could go that high. I just think that if it is, the international attention might cause them to do this one by the book.

Then again, brazenly getting away with racism and corruption isn't exactly unheard of in the US these days.
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:41 AM   #2511
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I think he'd agree with you, and feel that it wasn't particularly relevant that the letter of the law didn't agree with him.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:43 AM   #2512
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Well, if he was the chase vehicle that pushed Arbury into the trap, the he gets to eat the false imprisonment charge. Since that felony led to a death, he also gets to eat the felony murder charge.

Might be some aggressive charging, all well earned, designed to draw a plea out. But if he has to enjoy his full buffet, well, he earned it.
There's good reason to be broadly critical of felony murder charges, and it's something that criminal reform advocates have long discussed. Often they lead to convictions that seem disproportionate and unjust.

Plenty of people have caught a felony murder charge for far less involvement in a homicide than Roddie. I don't see this charging as particularly aggressive, but rather a consequence of the nature of felony murder laws. Even if felony murder wasn't so broadly defined, there's probably a case to be made that Roddie was still a direct accomplice to the murder of Arbery.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 22nd May 2020 at 08:45 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:45 AM   #2513
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The story is going to change everytime the story they tell makes them look bad because they didn't shoot him for a reason, they shot him for an excuse. And excuses, by their very nature, don't stay consistent..
Signed,
Esptein's Mother
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:17 AM   #2514
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Even if all of that is true, how does any of that create their authority to affect a citizens arrest? Even if they knew him down to his inseam or how he takes his coffee, they had zero authority to stop him. Less than that to brandish firearms in the attempt.

Hell, if they knew him that well, they didn't need to stop him, just report him to the authorities. But where is the fun in that.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:22 AM   #2515
Leftus
Graduate Poster

There's good reason to be broadly critical of felony murder charges, and it's something that criminal reform advocates have long discussed. Often they lead to convictions that seem disproportionate and unjust.

Plenty of people have caught a felony murder charge for far less involvement in a homicide than Roddie. I don't see this charging as particularly aggressive, but rather a consequence of the nature of felony murder laws. Even if felony murder wasn't so broadly defined, there's probably a case to be made that Roddie was still a direct accomplice to the murder of Arbery.
I've got no great love for how the felony murder charge can be misused. But in this case, since he was an active part of the posse, closing the door on the trap, he was an essential part of the unintended murder.

My point is that by swinging for the fences, which is what they all do, they do it so they can drop one or two, get a conviction and a witness.

Even if they convict him on both, he earned them.
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:30 AM   #2516
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
The Attempted False Imprisonment charge is interesting. It's going to neuter any claim of self defense for Travis and company. If they were planning on going that route. It also counters the citizens arrest claim. And provides the nexus by which to charge Roddy for murder.

It really shows how the GBI are putting this together. It was an unlawful chase, an attempted false imprisonment, which you are allowed to resist, followed by a murder.

I'd be OK with Roddy rolling on Travis and company, for a deal. I kinda expect it.
Hopeful this is what took them so long.
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:54 PM   #2517
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
It's hard to keep up with all the claims that have been made, and whether they are credible. I do remember seeing a claim that the father had been involved with one of the shoplifting cases, and therefore was familiar with the victim. Then again, credible or not, I have no idea but that claim is out there.

Wait a sec. How many "shoplifting cases" were there?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:27 PM   #2518
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Leave it up to those Alabamians to not know how to spell mussel.
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:05 PM   #2519
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Leave it up to those Alabamians to not know how to spell mussel.
Indeed, but that is how they spell it!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:02 AM   #2520
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I think you are assuming a level of oversight to a District Attorney that does not exist. A DA is pretty much independent. Especially in states like Georgia where the DA is elected rather than appointed. The DA doesn't really have a boss that they report to. They report to someone the way a mayor or governor or president does...to the people that elect them.

Sort of. The State Attorney General will typically have some oversight, but maybe only in assigning cases. Some states have oversight committees, but they can usually only do a slap on the wrist. Outside of impeachment by the legislature, there may not be much that can be done for an elected DA.

The GBI couldn't really do anything. And they work for the AG. They would work with DAs sometimes in that capacity, but probably not enough to identify some racist tendencies. And there isn't anything they could do but report it to the AG or some committee.

So the acts of a DA aren't really indicative of the higher levels of the State.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events