IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:37 PM   #41
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
For that matter, governors can't do it either. On what basis could anybody say "You are required to hold church services!" when the church doesn doesn't want to?
Trump never said they had to hold services, just that they had to be opened. And you're right, they can't be ordered open, but they can be ordered closed by governors. This is just Trump bloviating yet again. Oh....new nickname: The Great Bloviator.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:28 PM   #42
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

3 years ago, after Jeff Sessions recused himself, the Fraudulent Mueller Scam began. Alabama, do not trust Jeff Sessions. He let our Country down. That’s why I endorsed Coach Tommy Tuberville (@TTuberville), the true supporter of our #MAGA agenda! https://secure.winred.com/tommytuberville/donate

@deanbaquet is to be seriously respected. He has long been considered one of the dumbest men in the world of journalism, and he became Executive Editor of the Failing New York Times. Not easy to do. He has given up on “figuring Trump out”. Called it all wrong from the....

....beginning, was forced to apologize (Fake News!) after the seriously wrong call of the 2016 Election, and is now willing to write anything, even if not truthful. He laughs at his boss, Publisher A.G. Sulzberger, and I laugh at them all. The @nytimes is a total mess!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:31 PM   #43
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
What a strange thing to say. Putting to one side for the moment Henry Ford's dubious political stance, does he think that Ford assembly line workers are blood relations to Henry Ford ?
Given 4 of 5 of his kids work for him, one could be forgiven for thinking that he does harbor that notion.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:35 PM   #44
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Do nothing A.G. of the Great State of Michigan, Dana Nessel, should not be taking her anger and stupidity out on Ford Motor - they might get upset with you and leave the state, like so many other companies have - until I came along and brought business back to Michigan. JOBS!

The Wacky Do Nothing Attorney General of Michigan, Dana Nessel, is viciously threatening Ford Motor Company for the fact that I inspected a Ventilator plant without a mask. Not their fault, & I did put on a mask. No wonder many auto companies left Michigan, until I came along!
=============================================
Is this even possible to believe? Can this be for real? Where is this nursing home, how is the victim doing? (? does anyone have contaxt for this?)
Please separate Trump's tweets from your additions such as I suggest above. What nursing home are you talking about.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:48 PM   #45
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

That is a trump Tweet, I only added the bit in italics because he posted this with no indication as to the subject matter or what it referred to?
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:49 PM   #46
SezMe
post-pre-born

Bill Mitchell host of 'Your Voice America TV'

"Some have called me "sycophant" for unrelenting support of the president. I am not.
I believe Trump was sent by God to lead America through this most perilous moment in our history, blessed with a vision and second-sight beyond his innate strategic brilliance. He is our voice."

At first I thought it was some kind of parody channel but it seems it's serious .

https://yourvoiceamerica.tv/
From the little bit that I've heard from Mitchell on the radio, that sounds like him.

Dictionary.,com defines a sycophant as "a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite." No, Billy, you're not a sycophant but you are a self-seeking, servile flatterer and a fawning parasite
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:56 PM   #47
SezMe
post-pre-born

That is a trump Tweet, I only added the bit in italics because he posted this with no indication as to the subject matter or what it referred to?
OK, but I still suggest you make the distinction clearer.
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:10 PM   #48
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
OK, but I still suggest you make the distinction clearer.
I noted my confusion back in post #21. I even asked a question about it. I suppose I could be on Ignore but I can't fathom any reason why.

Last edited by alfaniner; 22nd May 2020 at 06:12 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:49 PM   #49
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

"Coach Tommy Tuberville"

That can't be a real name, can it? Tell me this is a character in a cartoon like "Veggie Tales" or something.....
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:53 PM   #50
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I don't think Trump said he could force governors to require church services. He said he could force them to exempt curches from the lockdown rules. Which he can't, but at least get what he's wrong about right.
To be honest, I would let the people who worship Trump think that he has that power, and let them all congregate (in triumph over the Deep State conspiracy!) in large groups together for long periods on a regular basis.

At this late stage of their denialism, it is going to need a disproportionate number of actual self-perpetuated deaths across their communities, from infants to elders, to drive home the reality of the COVID situation and their abject stupidity. Plus it will reduce their voting numbers overall, now and in the future.

Really, if there are going to be unavoidable COVID deaths due to defiance, it may as well be them.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:01 PM   #51
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
"Coach Tommy Tuberville"

That can't be a real name, can it? Tell me this is a character in a cartoon like "Veggie Tales" or something.....
'Tis real: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Tuberville

Football coach, securities investment fraudster, and now senate candidate.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:50 PM   #52
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
To be honest, I would let the people who worship Trump think that he has that power, and let them all congregate (in triumph over the Deep State conspiracy!) in large groups together for long periods on a regular basis.

At this late stage of their denialism, it is going to need a disproportionate number of actual self-perpetuated deaths across their communities, from infants to elders, to drive home the reality of the COVID situation and their abject stupidity. Plus it will reduce their voting numbers overall, now and in the future.

Really, if there are going to be unavoidable COVID deaths due to defiance, it may as well be them.
Oh, how I agree. If only it could be confined to that lot.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:24 PM   #53
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Republican-driven, 18-month investigation into Florida ‘voter fraud’ turns up ZERO voter fraud

Just not quite prosecutable offenses by Republican, by the look of it. Broke the law, but no provable fraudulent intent is their defense of that choice.

Trump's repeated claims of voter fraud going on at the time seem to be baseless. Such a shock.
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:13 PM   #54
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Republican-driven, 18-month investigation into Florida ‘voter fraud’ turns up ZERO voter fraud

Just not quite prosecutable offenses by Republican, by the look of it. Broke the law, but no provable fraudulent intent is their defense of that choice.

Trump's repeated claims of voter fraud going on at the time seem to be baseless. Such a shock.
Shows how deep the conspiracy goes. The fact that no evidence has been found is proof positive that there must be a cover up of massive proportions.

There must be voter fraud - otherwise there wouldn't be all these investigations into it.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:26 PM   #55
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Oh, how I agree. If only it could be confined to that lot.
My exact thoughts too.

But they do insist that casualties due to friendly fire still make the victory worthwhile. So I guess some of you are just going to have to die.

And I did not put sarcasm quotes or anything around that statement. Because it is, regrettably, true.
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:32 PM   #56
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Given that the ONLY fraud found was by the GOP, perhaps they should have heeded Trump's other advice about COVID testing: Just stop looking and you won't find any bad results.

Simples.
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:11 PM   #57
Aridas

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Given that the ONLY fraud found was by the GOP, perhaps they should have heeded Trump's other advice about COVID testing: Just stop looking and you won't find any bad results.

Simples.
To poke at that... the breaking the law in question doesn't fall under fraud so much as allowing unlawful means of voting for some uncertain number of voters in a very heavily Republican area. Specifically, voting by e-mail.

Of course, I think that we're all pretty well aware that if a Democrat did it, the Republicans would be howling outrage from the rooftops.
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:17 PM   #58
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I noted my confusion back in post #21. I even asked a question about it. I suppose I could be on Ignore but I can't fathom any reason why.
Don't feel too bad, I posted an explanation of the tweet in post 14 which no one seems to have read, so I must be one of those posters on super ignore, and only I can see this.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:34 PM   #59
Aridas

Alright, then, Mr. Super Ignored! Have a response.

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
If you look in the replies to that tweet there's a video which has been going round the twittersphere which appears to show a well built black male nurse knocking seven bells out of a white care home resident. If genuine the guy needs to be locked up. It allegedly happened in Detroit.
Based on that description, honestly, it could be the case easily enough, but... "cherry-picking" comes to mind.

Care homes are a very mixed bag, so to speak. There are plenty of good ones, I think, but there are also a heck of a lot of ones where the people being "cared for" are outright abused on a regular basis. Systemically, there's serious problems in a number of ways.

Still, here's a not so random link that touches on some basics of the subject.

From that, some important and quick takeaways are -

Quote:
Between 2017 and 2018, 1 in 6 adults aged 60 or older suffered some type of abuse while in a community setting, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
The WHO also notes that 2 in 3 nursing home staff members reported that they abused nursing home residents over the past year.
Nearly 1 out of 3 nursing homes in the U.S. have been issued citations for abuse.
Nursing home abuse, along with elder abuse in general, goes greatly underreported, according to the Office of the Inspector General.
As of 2015, 1.3 million people lived in nursing homes throughout the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:37 PM   #60
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

To poke at that... the breaking the law in question doesn't fall under fraud so much as allowing unlawful means of voting for some uncertain number of voters in a very heavily Republican area. Specifically, voting by e-mail.

Of course, I think that we're all pretty well aware that if a Democrat did it, the Republicans would be howling outrage from the rooftops.
And spiraling frenzied calls of FAKE NOOZ! Followed by the people who found the irregularities being fired.
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:44 PM   #61
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Alright, then, Mr. Super Ignored! Have a response.

Based on that description, honestly, it could be the case easily enough, but... "cherry-picking" comes to mind.

Care homes are a very mixed bag, so to speak. There are plenty of good ones, I think, but there are also a heck of a lot of ones where the people being "cared for" are outright abused on a regular basis. Systemically, there's serious problems in a number of ways.

Still, here's a not so random link that touches on some basics of the subject.

From that, some important and quick takeaways are -
Hey great, someone can see my posts. I should correct something from my first post, I read a little bit more about the case and apparently the aggressor is not a nurse, but a fellow resident of an 'assisted living facility' rather than a care home.
My suspicions about whether the video is genuine are mainly because it's so clear and well framed.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:18 AM   #62
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
Don't feel too bad, I posted an explanation of the tweet in post 14 which no one seems to have read, so I must be one of those posters on super ignore, and only I can see this.
Hey, don't be sad, if that was true it'd mean you could get away with anything you wrote. You could do anything !
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:27 AM   #63
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

What a strange thing to say. Putting to one side for the moment Henry Ford's dubious political stance, does he think that Ford assembly line workers are blood relations to Henry Ford ?
Well he gives jobs to his family....

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:57 AM   #64
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

wrong thread
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:30 AM   #65
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I had a Silverado for a while. It had fuel lines, hydraulic lines, even some water lines. But I don't think it had any blood lines.
Have you ever see what comes out of a cut power steering line? Have you!?!!1!11?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:43 AM   #66
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Who are the 4%? A RINO or two!

Sleepy Joe cannot bring us to greatness. He is the reason I’m here!

USA will be bigger and stronger than ever before!
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:45 AM   #67
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

...And Sleepy Joe!
Quote Tweet

Jesse Watters
@JesseBWatters
One of the main reasons @realdonaldtrump got elected in the first place was Barack Obama
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:30 AM   #68
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Hey, don't be sad, if that was true it'd mean you could get away with anything you wrote. You could do anything !
Thank goodness we don't have a President who thinks he can get away with anything he writes!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:35 AM   #69
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I've read many stories about Henry Ford and on so many levels he was really an awful person.
But how about that terrific bloodline, though! Amirite?
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:33 AM   #70
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

...And Sleepy Joe!
Quote Tweet

Jesse Watters
@JesseBWatters
One of the main reasons @realdonaldtrump got elected in the first place was Barack Obama
Not really wrong about that. Trump hating that ****** was what made him popular among so many Republicans.
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:54 AM   #71
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's Press Secretary appears to have revealed his bank details on television
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:10 AM   #72
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The best people.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:26 AM   #73
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

I will be very dissapointed in the internet if someone doesn't get up to no good with those details.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:48 AM   #74
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
I will be very dissapointed in the internet if someone doesn't get up to no good with those details.
I was going to the store anyway, might as well buy some popcorn.

I wonder if he'll ignore this, pretend they were trolling, like with the bleach scandal, or fire McEnany while pretending he didn't know her, or some combination of #2 and #3.
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:53 AM   #75
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt that anything could go wrong. In the UK at least, sort code and account number alone only allow deposits
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:57 AM   #76
carlitos
"más divertido"

I doubt that anything could go wrong. In the UK at least, sort code and account number alone only allow deposits
That's probably it. They were signaling exactly where to send the funds to bribe Trump.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:33 AM   #77
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Not here. I pay credit card bills by phone, just give them the routing number and account number.
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:34 AM   #78
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, and he's hitting the links today!
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:01 PM   #79
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Heshmat Alavi
@HeshmatAlavi
Mr. President,
I am an Iranian & I want to thank you for your maximum pressure policy & specifically targeting the mullahs' regime ruling #Iran.
I want the world to know that for 41 years the regime has made life a living hell for us Iranians.

JT Lewis
@thejtlewis
President Trump is beating Biden by 7+ points in the latest CNN poll. And you can add 10% just because it’s a CNN poll!

kathy strube
@kathystrube_com
You gotta love love love. Trump 2020! Best President America has ever had.

LORI HENDRY TEXT TRUMP TO 88022
@Lrihendry
May 20th, 2020 Trump polls ahead of Biden in battleground states Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin.
NO surprise!

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 23rd May 2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:15 PM   #80
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Oh, and he's hitting the links today!
I remember when a president going golfing was a bad bad thing.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics