ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 29th June 2020, 01:52 PM   #1361
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Kayleigh McEninny just lied to us again. She claimed the reason the 'bounty' report wasn't brought to Trump's attention is because there "was no consensus among the intelligence agencies". That's a lie. Things of this importance are presented to the president where s/he will hear from both sides as to its probability.

What this is really all about is protecting Trump's failure to address it and his claim he didn't know about it.
Remember when there was consensus among the intelligence agencies? All of them? It was in the conclusion that Russia interfered in the 2016 Election.
Old 29th June 2020, 01:56 PM   #1362
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Remember when there was consensus among the intelligence agencies? All of them? It was in the conclusion that Russia interfered in the 2016 Election.
But Donny had Pootie's solemn word that Russia didn't. So there wasn't consensus at all.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 02:27 PM   #1363
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump and a good chunk of his supporters are various flavors of apocalyptic nihilists. They aren't worried about how history is going to judge them.
That may be true for Pence, Pompeo and their evangelical ilk, but not for Trump. He cares very much how he will be viewed. Trump is no Armageddon believing evangelical. He only give lip service to Christianity.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 02:28 PM   #1364
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

Not to mention this little thing called COVID-19.....
Old 29th June 2020, 02:35 PM   #1365
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Can you imagine being a black sailor and being assigned to serve on the USS Donald J Trump? Maybe a tugboat would be the most apt.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 02:42 PM   #1366
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Can you imagine being a black sailor and being assigned to serve on the USS Donald J Trump? Maybe a tugboat would be the most apt.
Tugboats are powerful and incredibly useful. I doubt there is a US Navy boat or ship useless enough to carry that name...maybe an icebreaker assigned to Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Babbylonian; 29th June 2020 at 02:44 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 02:48 PM   #1367
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Well, now that Trump has been embarrassed (or whatever you might call it) into taking down a 'white power' video, he has learned his lesson about retweeting videos. Right?

President Donald Trump, again accentuating racial tensions in America, on Monday posted a video showing a Missouri couple brandishing guns towards protesters who were calling for police reforms.

Seems like a pretty peaceful approach doesn't it?

(Note that city prosecutors are investigating the possibility of charging the couple.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 02:53 PM   #1368
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
A contagious disease, maybe?
If you say Trump disease, it sounds more like something mental.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 03:00 PM   #1369
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is a disgrace and all but my reaction on hearing the "bounty" story was of course Russia is doing this. Just as the U.S. probably did something similar in the '80s. This is a case in which even without a clear "consensus" I hope the national security establishment, including all those generals who left in disgust, still have the ear of GOP senators and are making persuasive cases out of the public eye. Most of what Trump wants, they want, but on national security there's a little bit of daylight. It's kind of too late for those guys to jump off the Trump train, though - if they had persuasive intelligence they would probably keep it under wraps for now so they can continue to publicly support Trump which they may feel is their best shot for winning re-election.

As usual all the drip-drip-drip of the most recent rumor builds my hope that there will come a time when the bulwark of Trump's institutional support will start to crumble, but it hasn't happened yet. So I kind of prefer not to get my hopes up. Still I look for small signs, like Pence wearing a mask and urging others to do so, and I hope Trump feels personally betrayed by anyone who does not back up his line 100 percent. Because he may expect that support to be absolutely unconditional, and any suggestion that it isn't could feed his insecurity and contribute to his unraveling. But it hasn't happened yet. Every week is the worst week of his presidency and it barely moves the needle.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:26 PM   #1370
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Trump is a disgrace and all but my reaction on hearing the "bounty" story was of course Russia is doing this. Just as the U.S. probably did something similar in the '80s.
That wasn't Russia. That was the Soviet Union.

And if you remember from history class, something called the Cold War was going on. The only thing that stopped it becoming an active war was that that war would be so horrible. That's a completely different backdrop than today. There is, officially, no animosity between the USA and Russia.

It seems your answer to a foreign nation posting bounties on American soldiers should be just a shrug and a "so what, things happened during the completely different times of the 80s".

And the collective shrug coming from the American conservatives shows that "support the troops" is just empty words.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:33 PM   #1371
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Corrupt Joe Biden’s team is running false ads. Almost everything in them is a knowing lie, just the opposite of what they are saying, & very much like their Fake News partners!

The Dems want to Defund and Abolish the Police. Not good!

Absentee Ballots are fine. A person has to go through a process to get and use them. Mail-In Voting, on the other hand, will lead to the most corrupt Election is USA history. Bad things happen with Mail-Ins. Just look at Special Election in Patterson, N.J. 19% of Ballots a FRAUD!

Is this one of those distinctions-without-a-difference thingies?

I don't know about other states, but here in NC, where there is no requirement for any special conditions needed to get an absentee ballot, the process is 1) submit request for absentee ballot. B) fill out ballot and have return form witnessed by two people or one notary. III) mail in ballot. (Although there is the option to drop it off at the county Board of Elections office.

It doesn't matter if I mail it in from home, which is roughly five miles from the BoE office, or if I am in San Francisco, Paris, or Kabul. As long as it gets there postmarked on election day it is treated the same. (In theory, of course. )

How many states make actual distinctions between an absentee ballot and a mail-in ballot? What, exactly are the differences?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:36 PM   #1372
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
As a species we have a tendency for stupidity, i agree.
I'm not sure that it's always a negative trait though,
failing stuff and having to think and try again could be a positive one, might even be what makes us what we are.
we are a species with the luxury to make mistakes and learn from them after all, I don't think there are that many others.

And we are a species with the ability, when blessed by good fortune to be able to indulge in luxury, to take it for granted or as our due, and to fail to appreciate it for what it is.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:53 PM   #1373
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Is this one of those distinctions-without-a-difference thingies?

I don't know about other states, but here in NC, where there is no requirement for any special conditions needed to get an absentee ballot, the process is 1) submit request for absentee ballot. B) fill out ballot and have return form witnessed by two people or one notary. III) mail in ballot. (Although there is the option to drop it off at the county Board of Elections office.

It doesn't matter if I mail it in from home, which is roughly five miles from the BoE office, or if I am in San Francisco, Paris, or Kabul. As long as it gets there postmarked on election day it is treated the same. (In theory, of course. )

How many states make actual distinctions between an absentee ballot and a mail-in ballot? What, exactly are the differences?
Are they not one and the same thing? If you can't vote at a booth in person but you are able to comply with the legal balloting process using the mail...that's an absentee vote by mail.

In Australia, an "absentee vote" is when you are not in your electorate but vote in person in another electorate. You do actually attend a polling booth, but instead of voting for candidates in the local electorate, you are given a ballot with candidates of your home electorate.

A "mail-in" vote, or "postal vote", is when you cannot attend a polling both at all, and get sent a ballot which you mail back to the electoral commission (we have a federal body who is mandated to run and count all state and federal elections). Usually this happens in advance of the election date. It's usually used by people living or traveling outside of Australia - military forces, Antarctic stations, tourists, etc.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:00 PM   #1374
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

An absolutely damming article reviewing the many, many ways Trump has helped destroy the foreign policy and national security of the USA.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/29/p...rns/index.html

Absolutely every bit of it consistent with Trump's day to day personality and behavior.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:08 PM   #1375
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Fox News host: Trump is bleeding support and ‘might drop out of the race’

Quote:
Fox News host Trace Gallagher suggested on Monday that President Donald Trump “might drop out” of the 2020 presidential race.

Gallagher made the remarks after a Fox News report speculated that Trump could exit the race “if his poll numbers don’t improve.”

“President Trump’s poll numbers declining in recent weeks amid criticism of his administration’s response to the coronavirus pandemic,” the Fox News host said, “which is leading some speculation that if his support keeps falling, the president might drop out of the race.”
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/fox...t-of-the-race/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:20 PM   #1376
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
An absolutely damming article reviewing the many, many ways Trump has helped destroy the foreign policy and national security of the USA.

Absolutely every bit of it consistent with Trump's day to day personality and behavior.
The name "Benedict Donald" applies today more then every.
If proven, the damage this will do to morale in the US military will be devasting. The POTUS looked the other way as US servicemen were killed.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:29 PM   #1377
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Corrupt Joe Biden’s team is running false ads. Almost everything in them is a knowing lie, just the opposite of what they are saying, & very much like their Fake News partners!

The Dems want to Defund and Abolish the Police. Not good!

Absentee Ballots are fine. A person has to go through a process to get and use them. Mail-In Voting, on the other hand, will lead to the most corrupt Election is USA history. Bad things happen with Mail-Ins. Just look at Special Election in Patterson, N.J. 19% of Ballots a FRAUD!
Of course this is all sowing the ground for claims of a rigged election by Trump if he loses. If he wins, we'll hear no such claims. However, election fraud can happen if someone really sets their mind to it and especially in a local election where less fraud can have a more major impact.

Quote:
This year, there has been clear evidence of improper activity. New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal announced charges against three men, including one of the election’s winners, focused on election fraud. There has been anecdotal evidence of bundled ballots, suggesting an improper harvesting operation.

The result? Nearly a fifth of the mail-in ballots cast in the election were rejected by the Passaic County Board of Elections, a sharply higher percentage than in any of the past three elections and nearly twice the number rejected two years ago.

According to the Paterson Press, the nearly 3,300 ballots thrown out were roughly split into three groups: those rejected because signatures on the ballot didn’t match the signature on file, those rejected for problems with the section filled out by a person submitting the ballot on another person’s behalf (the “bearer”) and those rejected for other reasons.
It’s important to note two things about those numbers.

The first is that the rejected ballots do not necessarily demonstrate proved fraud. Trump touts the idea that this 19 percent of ballots was evidence of fraud, though that’s not demonstrably the case. Some of those involved in the issue argue, in fact, that the high rejection rate is a function of the intense focus on rooting out any possibly fraudulent ballots. One candidate, for example, claims to have identified 100 people whose ballots were rejected for “bearer” problems but who say they submitted the ballots themselves, perhaps because they were mailed from mailboxes also used in apparent harvesting operations.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...hat-it-doesnt/

I had a mail in ballot rejected due to signature...which I had signed myself. All I had to do was contact my election official and confirm it was my signature and it was counted. I had 14 days to do it.
Old 29th June 2020, 05:52 PM   #1378
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That's a laugh! It would require Trump to admit he could possibly fail. That will never, ever happen. The admission, not the failure. He won't even admit to the possibility of failure after he's failed at something!
Old 29th June 2020, 06:19 PM   #1379
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That's a laugh! It would require Trump to admit he could possibly fail. That will never, ever happen. The admission, not the failure. He won't even admit to the possibility of failure after he's failed at something!
I don't think there's any possibility Trump would drop out, either. Sounds like the Fox News host is just saying something to be provocative.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:21 PM   #1380
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
He fails to fail at failing to fail! He's playing Infinite Dimensional Fail Chess!
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:21 PM   #1381
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Note the byline on that story. Trump is seriously effed.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:22 PM   #1382
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Now that's what I call a BTV news item. (Better Than Viagra) Because it gets me all hot and bothered in a very good way. Especially if it's coming from a Fox New source.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:24 PM   #1383
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Are they not one and the same thing? If you can't vote at a booth in person but you are able to comply with the legal balloting process using the mail...that's an absentee vote by mail.

<snip>

My point exactly.

More mindless drivel from Trump.

Except that it also seems to be a Repugnucan talking point.

I saw the exact same argument being made by some high level Repugnican pol on one of the talking heads pundits' programs. The same question was asked of him. He simply repeated his claims if the differences should be self-explanatory.

They aren't.

Old 29th June 2020, 06:35 PM   #1384
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. Just wow. If only we could get our hands on some of those phone call audios and play them before the election. Turkey wants him re-elected but maybe the Brits or Germans could just 'accidentally' leak them.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:40 PM   #1385
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I wonder if anything will ever be named after Trump.

Either infrastructure (like Reagan airport or Clinton airport), or military hardware (like the George HW Bush or Gerald Ford aircraft carriers, or the Jimmy Carter submarine.) Heck, even Nixon has a couple of schools named after him.
Traditionally, presidents get a library named for them. Imagine how empty Trump's will be.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:45 PM   #1386
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Traditionally, presidents get a library named for them. Imagine how empty Trump's will be.
It will be filled with all the books he 'wrote'.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:59 PM   #1387
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

There's only one explanation, and it has been the same one since long before Day One:

https://lowres.cartooncollections.co...903087_low.jpg
Old 29th June 2020, 06:59 PM   #1388
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I think presidential libraries are built through private fundraising, and receive material from the president.

I suspect that if Trump is involved, any money donated will be "diverted" into Trump's bank account. (That's assuming they get any donations... once Trump no longer has power, its possible he will lose all of his sycophants.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:01 PM   #1389
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Tugboats are powerful and incredibly useful. I doubt there is a US Navy boat or ship useless enough to carry that name...maybe an icebreaker assigned to Pearl Harbor?

How about a drone ship used for target practice? It's sole purpose is to be blown up and sunk.

We'll just keep adding numbers to the end of the name. "Droneship Donald J Trump 123 was blown up and sunk today by planes flying off the Aircraft Carrier Barrack H. Obama. The pilots said the target was unusually small, but its weak attempts to deflect the strike were ultimately ineffective. "
Old 29th June 2020, 07:04 PM   #1390
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Remember this old story about Trump's habit of ripping up any papers he's done reading? Donating their personal papers is a big part of setting up such a library.

Now imagine what Trump's displays will look like: a bunch of half-crumpled, ripped up and taped back together crap.

Almost poetic.
Old 29th June 2020, 07:15 PM   #1391
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Ah, but one only has to think of it from Trump’s perspective to realize the more important observation will be “imagine how full the gift shop will be.”

Has there ever been a billionaire who acts less like a billionaire?
Old 29th June 2020, 07:24 PM   #1392
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Of course this is all sowing the ground for claims of a rigged election by Trump if he loses. If he wins, we'll hear no such claims. However, election fraud can happen if someone really sets their mind to it and especially in a local election where less fraud can have a more major impact.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...hat-it-doesnt/

I had a mail in ballot rejected due to signature...which I had signed myself. All I had to do was contact my election official and confirm it was my signature and it was counted. I had 14 days to do it.
What are you talking about? He won in 2016 and spent 2+ years whining about how crooked the election was.

President Chucklehead could win 90% to 10% and still bellyache about how the crooked Democrats prevented him from getting 100%.
Old 29th June 2020, 07:25 PM   #1393
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

How do you know it was a mistake?

The apostrophe in "Supreme court Justice's" suggests ownership... maybe Trump is planning on giving the Supreme court "a new and powerful military"....

Each Supreme court judge will get their own aircraft carrier (with a steam powered catapult), a squadron of F35s (that are actually invisible) and a platoon of soldiers (that the Russians can put bounties on.)
Indeed.
LOL
Old 29th June 2020, 10:38 PM   #1394
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
What are you talking about? He won in 2016 and spent 2+ years whining about how crooked the election was.

President Chucklehead could win 90% to 10% and still bellyache about how the crooked Democrats prevented him from getting 100%.
Of course. How silly of me. I blame the exceptionally good pinot grigio.
Old 30th June 2020, 02:39 AM   #1395
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted
Ronna McDaniel
@GOPChairwoman
Joe Biden oversaw an anemic recovery while he was Vice President, and he would be a disaster for the economy as President.
@realDonaldTrump built the greatest economy in our history and he is doing it again now!

The White House
@WhiteHouse
"President @realDonaldTrump stands against defunding our great police officers, caving to mob rule, and cancel culture which seeks to erase our history."

Kayleigh McEnany
@PressSec
“Law and Order are the building blocks of the American Dream, but if anarchy prevails, this dream comes crumbling down!”
President @realDonaldTrump has taken ACTION to secure our streets!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 30th June 2020 at 02:41 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 02:44 AM   #1396
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Team Trump (Text TRUMP to 88022)
@TeamTrump
White House Press Secretary @KayleighMcEnany: There is no stronger advocate for our servicemen and women than President @realDonaldTrump

White House Press Secretary @KayleighMcEnany: President @realDonaldTrump stands against defunding our police, caving to mob rule and cancel culture which seeks to erase our history
Old 30th June 2020, 02:45 AM   #1397
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Geraldo Rivera
@GeraldoRivera
Here’s #RussianBounty story in a nutshell:
1-US raid randomly discovers wad of cash in Afghan hut (How much? In a safe? Under a bed? In Capone’s vault?)
2-Clever intell op exclaims, “Say I think this cash came from Moscow!”
3-During daily briefing @realDonaldTrump is told or not.
Old 30th June 2020, 03:29 AM   #1398
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I wonder if anything will ever be named after Trump.

Either infrastructure (like Reagan airport or Clinton airport), or military hardware (like the George HW Bush or Gerald Ford aircraft carriers, or the Jimmy Carter submarine.) Heck, even Nixon has a couple of schools named after him.
Depends if people will want to pay the licencing fee to use his name.
Old 30th June 2020, 03:30 AM   #1399
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Is there a named rule for making a stupid mistake while accusing someone else
of being stupid? (Actually the lack of parallelism bothers me more that the unnecessary “hyphen”)
You missed the first one - "RINOS "
Old 30th June 2020, 03:50 AM   #1400
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Remember this old story about Trump's habit of ripping up any papers he's done reading? Donating their personal papers is a big part of setting up such a library.

Now imagine what Trump's displays will look like: a bunch of half-crumpled, ripped up and taped back together crap.

Almost poetic.
At least everything will be available in large print!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics