ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th June 2020, 01:17 PM   #1
Rincewind
Philosopher

WinZip Driver Updater

Hi guys,

I've just had one of the regular Windows updates - I'm on Win 10.

One of the things that arrived with it was something called WinZip Driver Updater.

It tells me that I have 17 drivers that are obsolete, and it can update them 'for free', and then keep track of any new upgrades. However it requires me to sign up - $30!

Now it's not a huge price, but I thought I'd ask if anyone here knows of this (I can see it's a Canadian company) and if it's genuine?

Thanks in advance!
Old 29th June 2020, 01:45 PM   #2
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

It's genuine, but apparently annoying and can slow your PC.

Review and Removal Instructions

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 02:32 PM   #3
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
It's genuine, but apparently annoying and can slow your PC.

Review and Removal Instructions
Thank you very much for that. I've just uninstalled it.

I had noticed a big slow down since it arrived - and the article you linked to said that could happen.

So - reboot & see what it's like now!
Old 29th June 2020, 02:57 PM   #4
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

If you use Win 10 it has its own zip opening program, so unless you want to make zip files, there's not much need for Winzip anyway. If you open a zip file in Explorer, you'll find an unzipping menu appears.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 03:14 PM   #5
Rincewind
Philosopher

thank you both - and after a short test with Tropico6 I can tell that the laptop is running quicker than before the hit!
Old 29th June 2020, 06:29 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I have found the best option is to install the driver updater, let it do its stuff, and then uninstall it.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:38 PM   #7
marting
Graduate Poster

Note that It's easy to make zip files in Win 10. You just right click in explorer and select the option to create a compressed directory. Change it's name to whatever you want to name your zip file then just copy files you want to compress into it. Now you have a zip file.
Old 29th June 2020, 11:08 PM   #8
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Windows has had native support for zip files since, I think, XP.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 12:45 AM   #9
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

More worryingly is the fact that app is not part of any Window update?
Old 30th June 2020, 09:54 PM   #10
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
More worryingly is the fact that app is not part of any Window update?
My guess is that it hitched a ride with something else.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet