ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , 2020 elections , donald trump , presidential candidates , republicans

Old 15th July 2020, 06:10 AM   #641
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
And who one plans to vote for is definitely not personal information.
Got it.
As usual you do not, actually, have it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 06:21 AM   #642
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
As usual you do not, actually, have it.
Okay.
Are ones' intentions to vote for one candidate or another personal, or not?

If they are, do pollsters ask for them?, or not?
Old 15th July 2020, 06:22 AM   #643
Belz...
Fiend God

Okay.

Can they be linked to a name? Is that name recorded?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 06:26 AM   #644
Distracted1
Illuminator

A phone number can be linked to a name, quite easily.
If it is an old land line, it can be linked to an address as well- also quite easily.
It is also possible to link them in revers order- a name can be linked to a phone number, an address to a name, etc...

WRT the questions. Are ones' political intentions personal?, or not?

Last edited by Distracted1; 15th July 2020 at 06:27 AM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 06:27 AM   #645
Belz...
Fiend God

A phone number can be linked to a name, quite easily.
You dodged my question there.

Quote:
WRT the questions. Are ones' political intentions personal?, or not?
Any opinion or intention can be declared "personal" if you're using a broad enough definition.

Old 15th July 2020, 06:29 AM   #646
Distracted1
Illuminator

You dodged my question there.

Any opinion or intention can be declared "personal" if you're using a broad enough definition.
Your question was, can a phone number be linked to a name.
The answer is- yes. easily.
where is the dodge?

Is political intent personal?, or not?
Old 15th July 2020, 06:33 AM   #647
shuttlt
Philosopher

Personal information and personally identifying information aren't the same thing. Is the assumption that the issue is concern over the data governance of the polling organization? I had assumed it was more about people giving answers to pollsters that they thought would be socially acceptable to the pollsters, plus a bit of distrust in the news media ecosystem that pollsters are a part of... so why take part in the poll?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 06:38 AM   #648
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
so why take part in the poll?
Because Distracted1 for some reason* really, really needs a lot of people lying to pollsters instead of just hanging up.

* I can think about only one reason - to explain away polls unfavorable to his Fuhrer. Silent majority and all of that drivel.
Old 15th July 2020, 06:43 AM   #649
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Because Distracted1 for some reason* really, really needs a lot of people lying to pollsters instead of just hanging up.

* I can think about only one reason - to explain away polls unfavorable to his Fuhrer. Silent majority and all of that drivel.
Your psychic powers continue to disappoint.
Keep trying though, Miss Cleo.
Old 15th July 2020, 06:45 AM   #650
Belz...
Fiend God

Your question was, can a phone number be linked to a name.
Re-read the post.

Old 15th July 2020, 06:47 AM   #651
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My point was that trolling the polls, not lying exactly, is something I can imagine... enough Trump supporters (no I can't put some "This account for exactly X percent of the motivation of Y percent of Trump supporters as outlined in this chart here..." number on it.) doing so it might make a difference.

One of the biggest problems is dealing with Trump has always been how many of supporters are supporting him in some.... err sideways fashion I guess you could call it. There's like no single term for it but if you account for people doing it ironically, doing it for effect, doing to troll the libs, doing to prove some nihilistic point about nothing mattering, people doing to to make "The government doesn't work" a self fulfilling prophecy, doing it as a joke, people who think Trump is a joke but they are in on the joke, people who think Trump is a joke but they are above the joke, and all that related frippery you've got a fairly substantial number. Probably nearly as big or bigger than whatever we could call Trump's "honest" support base.

With mainstream candidates the distinction their supporters and their voters is usually pretty much non existent. With Trump.. I'm not sure. I think, and everyone has to respect that the language will have to be a little sloppy here, people are going to vote for Trump who don't support him (in the traditional political sense) in meaningful numbers is more likely with Trump then it is for most any other politician.

For instance any poll worded in such a way as to ask "Is Trump making X better" is immediately suspect in my mind since "We didn't elect him to make things better" is such an open secret among his base. He's a troll. Making things better isn't his job.

Again nothing would make that part of Trump's base happier than Trump winning after the Liberals had again talked themselves into him having no chance. That's probably their favorite possible narrative so I'm... just wary of it. That's all.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 15th July 2020 at 07:20 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 06:56 AM   #652
Distracted1
Illuminator

Can what be linked to a name?
The expressed opinion of someone asked an opinion over the telephone?

If that is what your question means. The answer is still yes.
If that is not what it means, please clarify, and i will too.
Old 15th July 2020, 07:03 AM   #653
Belz...
Fiend God

Can what be linked to a name?
Amazing. You've already lost track of the discussion. When I ask you to re-read the post, you might want to read what it was responding to as well.

Old 15th July 2020, 07:08 AM   #654
Distracted1
Illuminator

Amazing. You've already lost track of the discussion. When I ask you to re-read the post, you might want to read what it was responding to as well.
Just dense I guess.

We are discussing answering the questions of someone claiming to be a political pollster over the telephone, and why someone might lie to that person about something as personal as who they are planning to vote for.

Your question was "can they be linked to a name?"
well, since the responses are given over the telephone, they certainly can.

If you meant something else, please clarify.
Old 15th July 2020, 07:10 AM   #655
Belz...
Fiend God

Just dense I guess.

We are discussing answering the questions of someone claiming to be a political pollster over the telephone, and why someone might lie to that person about something as personal as who they are planning to vote for.

Your question was "can they be linked to a name?"
My other question was "Is that name recorded?", but I guess you're going to go back to not understanding what "they" refers to now.

Old 15th July 2020, 07:14 AM   #656
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

I'm still very unclear as to the point trying to be made.

Is the argument being made that there are enough people who think that pollsters who called them are trying to scam them AND will lie to to pollster to prevent the scam rather than just hang up AND such people are heavily weighted towards one candidate that it would make a significant error in polling?
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 07:15 AM   #657
Distracted1
Illuminator

My other question was "Is that name recorded?", but I guess you're going to go back to not understanding what "they" refers to now.
Is that name recorded?
Recorded by whom? The person asking the questions over the phone, I guess?
Certainly, the name can be written down, stored in a database, etc.. cross referenced with the answers to the questions asked.
That truly seems self-evident, which is why I am having a hard time groking your question.
Old 15th July 2020, 07:16 AM   #658
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
I'm still very unclear as to the point trying to be made.

Is the argument being made that there are enough people who think that pollsters who called them are trying to scam them AND will lie to to pollster to prevent the scam rather than just hang up AND such people are heavily weighted towards one candidate that it would make a significant error in polling?
That's the way that I interpret it, that Trump supporters won't hang up, but will lie whereas Democrats wouldn't lie or hang up.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 07:17 AM   #659
Belz...
Fiend God

Is that name recorded?
Recorded by whom?
Ok now you're clearly playing games.

Have fun with that.

Old 15th July 2020, 07:25 AM   #660
Distracted1
Illuminator

Ok now you're clearly playing games.

Have fun with that.
I truly do not understand what you are asking me.

If it is not: Can the expressed political opinions of someone answering questions over the telephone be linked to a name, and that name be recorded?.
I do not know what it is.

I have asked for clarification in good faith.
Old 15th July 2020, 07:30 AM   #661
Belz...
Fiend God

If it is not: Can the expressed political opinions of someone answering questions over the telephone be linked to a name, and that name be recorded?.
I do not know what it is.

And I've clarified it in good faith numerous times.

I don't believe you.

Old 15th July 2020, 07:31 AM   #662
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
That's the way that I interpret it, that Trump supporters won't hang up, but will lie whereas Democrats wouldn't lie or hang up.
...and there's enough of them to make a real impact on the results.

If that's the position, I find it highly questionable.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 07:35 AM   #663
Distracted1
Illuminator

And I've clarified it in good faith numerous times.

I don't believe you.
What post clarified it?
I will read it again.
and ignore that it was initially answering a question with a question.

Last edited by Distracted1; 15th July 2020 at 07:37 AM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 07:38 AM   #664
Belz...
Fiend God

What post clarified it?
I will read it again.
No you won't. I've already tried that. I won't fall for it again.

Old 15th July 2020, 07:43 AM   #665
Distracted1
Illuminator

No you won't. I've already tried that. I won't fall for it again.
Then I must consider those questions answered.

Perhaps now you will answer these: (asked before yours, BTW)

Old 15th July 2020, 07:46 AM   #666
Belz...
Fiend God

You don't even know what the question was but you consider it answered? Sure. That makes sense.

Them who?

Last edited by Belz...; 15th July 2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 15th July 2020, 07:56 AM   #667
Distracted1
Illuminator

You don't even know what the question was but you consider it answered? Sure. That makes sense.

Them who?
Indeed. the answers are "yes" and "yes". We can proceed from there if you like.

The intentions to vote for one candidate or another. (clearly stated in the previous sentence)
Old 15th July 2020, 07:57 AM   #668
Belz...
Fiend God

The intentions to vote for one candidate or another. (clearly stated in the previous sentence)
Sorry, what about these intentions?

Old 15th July 2020, 07:59 AM   #669
Distracted1
Illuminator

Sorry, what about these intentions?
Ahh, the entire thing was a dodge to avoid answering.
Explains why you would not clarify.
Okay.
Old 15th July 2020, 08:00 AM   #670
Belz...
Fiend God

Ahh, the entire thing was a dodge to avoid answering.
Explains why you would not clarify.
Okay.

Old 15th July 2020, 08:03 AM   #671
Distracted1
Illuminator

That's okay. Answer the question you think is being asked then.
Old 15th July 2020, 08:03 AM   #672
Belz...
Fiend God

That's okay. Answer the question you think is being asked then.
Ok: Spinach. It's definitely spinach.

Old 15th July 2020, 08:14 AM   #673
Distracted1
Illuminator

The voting intentions can be linked to a name, and recorded. (answered)
The respondents can be linked to a name, and recorded. (answered)

what else! are you referring to!?!?

The pollster!?? Can the pollster be linked to a name, and recorded- I really don't think you mean that yet there is nothing else there that is evident.
Old 15th July 2020, 08:15 AM   #674
Belz...
Fiend God

The voting intentions can be linked to a name, and recorded. (answered)
The respondents can be linked to a name, and recorded. (answered)

what else! are you referring to!?!?
Vegetables, at this point.

Old 15th July 2020, 08:20 AM   #675
Distracted1
Illuminator

Vegetables, at this point.
Just dodging, then.
Going a long way to not have to own up to your false statement that "pollsters do not ask for personal information"
Kudos, for going so far to avoid admitting you were wrong.
Old 15th July 2020, 08:22 AM   #676
Belz...
Fiend God

Just dodging, then.
I'm using performance art to explain my feelings of frustration by subjecting you to same.

But you knew that already.

Since I've already told you that I don't believe you, you can stop pretending to really wanting to discuss this with me.

Quote:
Going a long way to not have to own up to your false statement that "pollsters do not ask for personal information"
They don't.

Old 15th July 2020, 08:28 AM   #677
Distracted1
Illuminator

I'm using performance art to explain my feelings of frustration by subjecting you to same.

But you knew that already.

Since I've already told you that I don't believe you, you can stop pretending to really wanting to discuss this with me.

They don't.
Because who one intends to vote for is not personal?

or Because pollsters don't ask that?
Old 15th July 2020, 08:30 AM   #678
Belz...
Fiend God

Because who one intends to vote for is not personal?
I've already answred that: using that logic, any opinion is personal information, but that's playing with words.

Old 15th July 2020, 08:44 AM   #679
Distracted1
Illuminator

I've already answred that: using that logic, any opinion is personal information, but that's playing with words.
Not automatically.
Voting is typically done by secret ballot, because it is considered more personal than other information.

We call our orders for big macs' right into the little speaker in the drive-thru, because our order at a fast food restaurant is not personal.

In general conversation, our sexual preferences, income, and voting habits are considered rude to be asked about unless specific permission is given in advance.

What movie we saw last night, or what we had for breakfast, not so much.
Old 15th July 2020, 08:51 AM   #680
Belz...
Fiend God

Not automatically.
Voting is typically done by secret ballot, because it is considered more personal than other information.

We call our orders for big macs' right into the little speaker in the drive-thru, because our order at a fast food restaurant is not personal.

In general conversation, our sexual preferences, income, and voting habits are considered rude to be asked about unless specific permission is given in advance.

What movie we saw last night, or what we had for breakfast, not so much.
As I said: you're using the term very broadly. Polling isn't supposed to record that information. If they do, or if you suspect that they do, then don't answer them. Better yet, don't have a phone or the internet.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics