ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , 2020 elections , donald trump , presidential candidates , republicans

Reply
Old 17th July 2020, 09:36 AM   #681
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,016
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
If one fears that they are in an environment wherein certain political viewpoints are goodthink, and others badthink, they might choose to give the answer that indicates they are in the goodthink cohort.
Yep, and they do the same at the ballot box.

The vast majority of voters will always vote for 'their' party, no matter what opinion they might have expressed about it beforehand - simply out fear. The vote itself might be secret, but if they vote for the 'other' party they have to lie about it to their peers. This is particularly disturbing if the 'other' party wins. Not only are you a liar, but also a traitor! And they can probably tell that you are lying...

Pollsters OTOH, who cares? It's much easier to unload your real feelings onto an anonymous stranger who doesn't care what you think and won't be tittle-tattling about it.

That's the problem with polls. The question they should be asking is - "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party democrat?"
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.

Last edited by Roger Ramjets; 17th July 2020 at 09:38 AM.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:07 AM   #682
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,977
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
As I said: you're using the term very broadly. Polling isn't supposed to record that information. If they do, or if you suspect that they do, then don't answer them. Better yet, don't have a phone or the internet.
Or give the response that seems the least likely to cause trouble for one.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:09 AM   #683
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,977
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Yep, and they do the same at the ballot box.

The vast majority of voters will always vote for 'their' party, no matter what opinion they might have expressed about it beforehand - simply out fear. The vote itself might be secret, but if they vote for the 'other' party they have to lie about it to their peers. This is particularly disturbing if the 'other' party wins. Not only are you a liar, but also a traitor! And they can probably tell that you are lying...

Pollsters OTOH, who cares? It's much easier to unload your real feelings onto an anonymous stranger who doesn't care what you think and won't be tittle-tattling about it.

That's the problem with polls. The question they should be asking is - "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party democrat?"
That's why polls in North Korea show such a high approval rating for Kim?

Hyperbole aside, though. you are probably correct. It is always best to act as if the person on the other end of the phone is exactly who they say they are.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:28 AM   #684
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 15,149
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
That's why polls in North Korea show such a high approval rating for Kim?

Hyperbole aside, though. you are probably correct. It is always best to act as if the person on the other end of the phone is exactly who they say they are.
Yes your Lordship Ndugu. Where again is your address in Nigeria?
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
My authority is total - Trump
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:41 AM   #685
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,165
I've been convinced. Pollsters are really members of the Deep State out to discover who people plan on voting for so they can report them to their employers or otherwise harm them in some way.

Seriously, is paranoia a requirement to be a Republican these days? It used to be only a suggestion.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:16 PM   #686
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,977
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I've been convinced. Pollsters are really members of the Deep State out to discover who people plan on voting for so they can report them to their employers or otherwise harm them in some way.

Seriously, is paranoia a requirement to be a Republican these days? It used to be only a suggestion.
Does that indicate that suspecting that the stranger on the other end of the telephone, who is asking for personal information, may be someone other than they are claiming, is paranoia?
In spite of numerous examples of that exact thing?
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:27 PM   #687
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,165
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Does that indicate that suspecting that the stranger on the other end of the telephone, who is asking for personal information, may be someone other than they are claiming, is paranoia?
In spite of numerous examples of that exact thing?
Pollsters don't ask for personal information. Scammers looking for credit card/bank account/social security numbers do.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:28 PM   #688
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,977
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Pollsters don't ask for personal information. Scammers looking for credit card/bank account/social security numbers do.
Who one plans to vote for is personal.

Also, you have sidestepped the question. A person on the other end of the telephone claiming to be a pollster is always a pollster, right?
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:36 PM   #689
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 27,848
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Who one plans to vote for is personal.
Sure if words don't mean anything.

Which at this point they don't. They are right up there with facts.

By your "logic" anyone ever asking you anything in any context is them trying to get personal information out of you.
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:40 PM   #690
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,165
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Who one plans to vote for is personal.

Also, you have sidestepped the question. A person on the other end of the telephone claiming to be a pollster is always a pollster, right?
Stop playing word games. We're talking about identifying information: name, address, etc.

'Always' is a very limiting word. Very little in life is always "always". Are the vast majority of pollsters really pollsters? I think so. A scammer wants financial info, not who you're going to vote for. They'll pose as the IRS, a Nigerian prince, a collection agency, etc. Not a political pollster.

Remember that this convo started out by a claim that Trump voters lied about who they would vote for out of embarrassment, not fear of harm or being scammed.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:56 PM   #691
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 15,149
Why is 538 just now adding polls from 2018?
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
My authority is total - Trump

Last edited by varwoche; 17th July 2020 at 12:57 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:57 PM   #692
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 27,848
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Why is 538 just now adding adding polls from 2018?
//Wild guess//

For comparison, but they aren't formatting it in a way that makes that clear?

Although there's not really much comparison to be made with 2018, 2016 would make more sense for that.

Maybe it's just a simple formatting or uploading error?
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 01:27 PM   #693
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,622
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
//Wild guess//

For comparison, but they aren't formatting it in a way that makes that clear?

Although there's not really much comparison to be made with 2018, 2016 would make more sense for that.

Maybe it's just a simple formatting or uploading error?
It might be data they found that just gets fed into the predictive models.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 01:46 PM   #694
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin
 
Agatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 13,879
Mod Warning Please refrain from personalising your posts.
Posted By:Agatha
__________________
Why can't you be more like Agatha? - Loss Leader
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:50 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.