ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags denial , aids

Old 8th December 2005, 09:11 PM   #1
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

20-20 Tonight--3-yr-old dies of AIDS and denial

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Heal...1386737&page=1
an excerpt...
Quote:
In 1992, Maggiore tested positive for HIV. While researching her diagnosis, she became a member of a small, but radical movement proclaiming that everything we thought we knew about AIDS was wrong — even the most basic premise, that HIV causes AIDS.

She addressed huge crowds at rock concerts, and sparked protests in Africa. Mainstream scientists dismissed her message as dangerous. But a defiant Maggiore was intent on practicing what she preached, refusing to take anti-viral medication like AZT when pregnant.

She and her husband, filmmaker Robin Scovill, had a son, Charlie, in 1998. When she began breastfeeding her son in public, there was outrage that an HIV-positive mother might be literally feeding her child a deadly virus. Evidence shows that breastfeeding increases the risk of transmitting the virus to children by up to 15 percent.

Authorities investigated, but in the end, determined that her son was well cared for and healthy.

When Eliza Jane was born in 2001, Maggiore — still healthy without anti-AIDS drugs — again refused anti-viral treatment when pregnant and later insisted on breastfeeding.

"Breastfeeding provides important antibody immunity," Maggiores said. "I wanted to give my children every advantage, and by doing so with Charlie, I raised a beautiful, healthy son. By breast feeding Eliza Jane, I had a beautiful, healthy daughter."

Refusal to Test Her Kids

Maggiore also refused to test her children to see if they were infected with the virus.

"Why would I risk the stigma, the medical label, the toxic drugs? It didn't make any sense to me at all to subject her to that. It's my job as a parent to protect my children, and do everything I can to ensure they lead a long, healthy, happy, productive life," Maggiore said.
I don't know whether to be angry or just sad.
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Freakshow

Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
an excerpt...

"Toxic drugs". As opposed to...a toxic virus?

Unreal...
Freakshow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2005, 10:59 PM   #3
clarsct
Illuminator

Well, the story isn't a new one:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=45105

But this development is. This woman is a f'kin idiot. The DA in her neck of the woods is obviously a ball-less wonder. She ought to be charged with neglect and manslaughter, at the least. She murdered her child. F**kwit.

But I've stated these opinions before. These people are no longer getting sympathy from me, because, from what I've seen, they choose to be ignorant, and that ignorance kills. If you choose to be ignorant, then too f'kin bad. I just feel sorry for the poor kid who had no say in her mother's stupidity. What a waste.

This woman doesn't even have the shame and decency to crawl under a rock. Pathetic.
clarsct is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2005, 11:50 PM   #4
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

I read the transcript. It was a freaking puff piece. 20/20 was way too lenient on her. I bet all they lobbed at her were softball questions.

If I had been conducting this interview, I guarantee, I'll ask the proper questions:

"Why did you let your daughter die?

"What makes you so stupid enough to deny reliable science regarding HIV that you would let your daughter die?"

"How does it feel to kill your daughter?"

"Why shouldn't I grab a heavy, blunt instrument and beat your empty head in for killing your daughter?"

"What excuses and quack "experts" are you going to use when your son and husband eventually die of AIDS, just like your daughter did?"

Now, THAT'S journalism.
"As the Corpse Lord knows, men today are ill-trained--ignoble: naught but wet anuses dribbling childish terrors and superstitions! Thus is knowledge--history, science, the world of the ancients--lost, never to be regained!" --M.A.R. Barker, "The Man of Gold"

Last edited by Achán hiNidráne; 8th December 2005 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling.
Achán hiNidráne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2005, 11:53 PM   #5
clarsct
Illuminator

I see we are of the same opinion, Mark.

But now I am torn. Do I go to Law School to put these idiots away, or go in for journalism to ask them these types of questions?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
clarsct is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2005, 07:47 AM   #6
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

Originally Posted by clarsct View Post
I see we are of the same opinion, Mark.

But now I am torn. Do I go to Law School to put these idiots away, or go in for journalism to ask them these types of questions?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Turst me, as a former reporter, go to law school. Journalism pays squat.
"As the Corpse Lord knows, men today are ill-trained--ignoble: naught but wet anuses dribbling childish terrors and superstitions! Thus is knowledge--history, science, the world of the ancients--lost, never to be regained!" --M.A.R. Barker, "The Man of Gold"
Achán hiNidráne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2005, 08:54 AM   #7
shecky
Master Poster

I saw it. Denial is the key word here. I don't think Maggiore will ever believe she caused her daughter's illness, even if she were browbeaten with the facts of the autopsy.

There was no new info on the matter, however, that hadn't been covered here in prior threads. I was hoping for more info on the matter.
shecky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2005, 08:58 AM   #8
Phil
Master Satyr

I saw the story on Primetime last night. Pretty sad case.
Old 9th December 2005, 10:23 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

an excerpt...

Angry, Mercutio. VERY angry.

So, what DOES she thinks causes AIDS ??

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2005, 10:48 AM   #10
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Angry, Mercutio. VERY angry.

So, what DOES she thinks causes AIDS ??
Listening to her arguments: Aliens did it. Together with the Illuminati, the Windsors, the Bush'es, the Vatican and the Kennedys.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2005, 12:35 PM   #11
I'll_buy_that
Critical Thinker

[quote=clarsct;1315193]Well, the story isn't a new one:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=45105

...But I've stated these opinions before. These people are no longer getting sympathy from me, because, from what I've seen, they choose to be ignorant, and that ignorance kills. If you choose to be ignorant, then too f'kin bad. I just feel sorry for the poor kid who had no say in her mother's stupidity. What a waste.
...QUOTE]

she may not get any sympaty for killing her daughter, but this is bigger than just her immediate family. She is just ignoring a serious desease and ignorance may kill more than just her surviving son. She may have more children.

if her children survive with the HIV virus into and past their teans, they might infect others. They won't know any better because they were raised ignorant by their mother, but they would be spreading a deadly virus.

look at what is happening with polio with the amish communities. http://www.thepowerhour.com/news2/polio_amish.htm

They don't believe in innoculations for thier children, some are getting polio. things like innoculations are for society as a whole and is bigger than one family. because the innoculations aren't 100% affective, everyone needs to be innoculated, or society as a whole is at risk. survivors of polio can carry the desease and spread it to those for whom were not innoculated because of when they were born or to those for whom the innoculations wore off or weren't effective. These things are faught with numbers not just one isolated community or family.
"Religion has convinced the world that there's an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do. And there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do or else you'll to to a burning place with a lake of fire until the end of eternity. But he loves you! ...he loves you and he needs money! He's all powerful, all knowing, and all capable but he just can't handle money!"
-George Carlin
I'll_buy_that is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2005, 12:59 PM   #12
Capsid
Graduate Poster

The recent polio infection in Amish communities arose from infection from someone who had received the live vaccine not the wild type virus. This is going to be a problem in the eradication of polio until the use of the live virus vaccine is discontinued and unvaccinated individuals exist. Polio does not have an asymptomatic carrier state.
Capsid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2005, 01:53 PM   #13
Chris Haynes
Perfectly Poisonous Person

I missed the program. What I read on their site seems to show that Maggiore just does not respond to questions if her answer does not fit her perception. I am starting to think she has either some serious psychological neurosis that is clouding reality for her... or that if she admits to wrong-doing it will cause sales of her books and her hubby's videos to go down.

ABC News Primetime did post the LA Coroner's report. There had been some initial problems with the file... but it works now:
http://abcnews.go.com/images/Primeti...r%20report.pdf

Edited to add: My accusation of her denial being part of a ploy to keep up sales of her book has just been reinforced by checking out the reviews of it on Amazon.com... She has added her own review claiming that there is going to be an "independent" review of the coroner's report. Failing (of course) to mention the reviewer is a member of the board of the "Alive and Well" bunch (who sell their video), and has absolutely no training in human medicine:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...nDate&n=507846

"HCN, I hate you!"
( so sayeth Deetee at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1077344 )...
What I get for linking to http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 10th December 2005 at 02:00 PM.
Chris Haynes is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2005, 02:22 PM   #14
Bone_Vulture
Appealing and hollow

Horrified is the key adjective for me. To think about that I'd meet an interesting partner, have a long term relationship, and then she'd casually mention one day that she's "HIV positive, but doesn't mind since AIDS is really a fabrication created by the vast pharmaceutical industry conspiracy". Thanks!
Bone_Vulture is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2005, 09:37 PM   #15
Chris Haynes
Perfectly Poisonous Person

Update: Because ABC News posted the LA Coroner's report online, some actual real medical doctors have gotton a crack at it. Here is an updated report from one (Nick Bennett, a UK Cambridge trained doctor with a PhD in HIV/AIDS research):
http://catallarchy.net/blog/wp-conte...Eliza_Ver2.pdf

Because there were initial problems downloading from the ABC News site (oh, clarification.. that is AMERICAN Broadcasting Company, not the other one down under), a very astute skeptic downloaded it on his site:
http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/commen...orecoroner.pdf (many of you will recognize the site as a must visit each week... newbies should become familiar with Peter Bowditch, a great Aussie skeptic... and should at a minimum check out his Skeptobear's travels to TAM II:
http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/bear/index.html ).

"HCN, I hate you!"
( so sayeth Deetee at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1077344 )...
What I get for linking to http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/
Chris Haynes is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology