ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th September 2020, 06:35 AM   #41
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I live deep inside a forest, on the drier side of the Olympic peninsula. It's 3/4 miles to a paved road. One of these years, there will be a major fire here. It doesn't help that we routinely get heavy winds.
Old 12th September 2020, 08:56 AM   #42
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I live deep inside a forest, on the drier side of the Olympic peninsula. It's 3/4 miles to a paved road. One of these years, there will be a major fire here. It doesn't help that we routinely get heavy winds.
You need to get out and rake that forest!
Was I the praying sort, I'd be praying for rain. We may get a little next week.
Old 15th September 2020, 03:14 PM   #43
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The rain fizzled out. Damn. Air quality is marginally worse today.

Sept has been dry, dry, dry.
Old 15th September 2020, 04:49 PM   #44
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

I have to take air samples as part of my job monitoring nuclear work in the shipyard. The naturally occuring isotopes in the smoky air are annoying. I had to briefly stop a job one time a while back during the BC fires just to prove my job was not the source.

Right now it is bad enough that I keep my mask on while outside (while distancing for the pandemic) as it is more comfortable than going unmasked.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 06:19 PM   #45
Ron Obvious
Thinker

We went to the Peninsula a couple of weeks ago to escape the heat and felt pretty lucky when we read about the smoke in Seattle and the Eastside, but the smoke followed us over there, even to Forks and Ocean Shores.

Blech. To be fair, this summer wasn't nearly as bad as 2017/18 was.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 08:20 PM   #46
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Smoke has reached the east coast. And there's a study out from the the bush fires in Oz that it is harmful to the fetus in utero.

Aussie Broadcasting: Expectant mothers urged to protect themselves from bushfire smoke
Quote:
Pregnant women living in bushfire areas are being urged to protect themselves and their unborn babies from smoke, as the fire season returns.

Doctors in the worst-affected areas say they're horrified by the effects of the smoke from last summer's catastrophic conditions.
It's a 5 minute broadcast segment, sorry no link to the study.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 04:19 AM   #47
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Smoke has reached the east coast. And there's a study out from the the bush fires in Oz that it is harmful to the fetus in utero.

Aussie Broadcasting: Expectant mothers urged to protect themselves from bushfire smokeIt's a 5 minute broadcast segment, sorry no link to the study.
Yup. We are seeing a little haze high in the sky. We are 6000 km from the west coast fires. Jet stream maps are interesting. Predicted to make some nice sunsets here.
Old 17th September 2020, 04:26 AM   #48
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

There's been some smoke haze here in the Boston area, originating in the wildfires out west. Just barely a taste of the hell world that the western states are living in, and I can't say I'm a fan. Air quality is still fine, but it's very unsettling for the sun to be so dim in the middle of the day.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/...th-jet-stream/
Old 17th September 2020, 06:29 AM   #49
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The local home improvement stores, and Amazon, are back-ordered on air purifiers. I was slow to the draw.
Old 18th September 2020, 08:17 AM   #50
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Our air in Western WA improved a bit yesterday. Still bad, but they say it will be a whole lot better by tomorrow morning. It would be easier to believe this if it wasn't way worse this morning.

I saw something bizarre yesterday -- a group of ten or so middle-aged men riding touring bikes on the highway.

Last edited by varwoche; 18th September 2020 at 08:20 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 09:13 AM   #51
Ron Obvious
Thinker

Our air in Western WA improved a bit yesterday. Still bad, but they say it will be a whole lot better by tomorrow morning. It would be easier to believe this if it wasn't way worse this morning.

I saw something bizarre yesterday -- a group of ten or so middle-aged men riding touring bikes on the highway.
It definitely looks worse to me as well on the Eastside this morning. My eyes are red, itchy, leaking worse than ever too. Rain supposedly by noon today and to continue on the weekend they say.

A consummation devoutly to be wished, but I'll believe it when I see it...
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 02:57 PM   #52
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Our air west of Portland improved dramatically thanks to the rain. I can see light at the end of our hazy tunnel.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2020, 02:10 PM   #53
deadrose
Illuminator

We have nice normal air quality readings today! In between that and the overcast, the Seattle natives are coming out of their hiding places and returning to our (naturally socially-distanced) lives!
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2020, 03:52 PM   #54
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
We have nice normal air quality readings today! In between that and the overcast, the Seattle natives are coming out of their hiding places and returning to our (naturally socially-distanced) lives!
Good news indeed. Are the fires under control or is this primarily due to weather/wind changes?l
Old 19th September 2020, 04:37 PM   #55
deadrose
Illuminator

Weather changes, unfortunately for the fire zones. We got a nice rain yesterday. At least it should help the western Washington fires, but I think they were mostly controlled anyway.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events