ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 15th September 2020, 02:19 PM   #1441
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The standing President of the United States just called a political rival a pedophile and not only will absolutely nothing come of it it's not surprising or shocking.
Wow! From a man with a habit of walking into beauty constestants dressing rooms...
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 02:25 PM   #1442
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The standing President of the United States just called a political rival a pedophile and not only will absolutely nothing come of it it's not surprising or shocking.
Oh, it's shocking, just not surprising.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 02:36 PM   #1443
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Okay, for full disclosure, I found out today that three of my cousins and their families lost their homes in Oregon. One of those cousins had the home of a favorite aunt and uncle (uncle now deceased thankfully), a farm where I spent large parts of my summer as a child.
Craig, I am so sorry. There is a farm in Texas that I am also attached to because of childhood memories. It is a type of loss, I believe. I hope you have photos.
Old 15th September 2020, 02:40 PM   #1444
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
Wow! From a man with a habit of walking into beauty constestants dressing rooms...
Now now... don't paint with TOO broad a brush.
Of his pageants, it's not his Miss America contest but rather his Miss Teen America pageant that it is claimed he "peeked" into the changing rooms of.
Just claims mind you, but let's keep to as he says... "the facts". Not "miss" but "miss teen".
Got it?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 02:42 PM   #1445
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, for full disclosure, I found out today that three of my cousins and their families lost their homes in Oregon. One of those cousins had the home of a favorite aunt and uncle (uncle now deceased thankfully), a farm where I spent large parts of my summer as a child.
I'm sorry, Craig. It's so awful here right now. The smoke is so thick and smell is so strong.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 03:13 PM   #1446
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Also, "Conservative Girl, @ConservUSA38" is such a generic handle that I'm leaning towards it being a troll.
“I AM AN EAGLE WEARING A HAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!”

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 03:15 PM   #1447
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Biden so needs to challenge Trump to a bike ride test.
My vote would be for an IQ test. Or SAT.

I’d pony up for pay-per-view for either of those.
Old 15th September 2020, 03:39 PM   #1448
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

How about a contest to see who could go the longest without telling a bald faced lie?
Old 15th September 2020, 03:42 PM   #1449
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it still explode?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 03:43 PM   #1450
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

After decades of division and conflict, we mark the dawn of a new Middle East. Congratulations to the people of Israel, the people of the United Arab Emirates, and the people of the Kingdom of Bahrain. God Bless You All!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 03:46 PM   #1451
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

After decades of division and conflict, we mark the dawn of a new Middle East. Congratulations to the people of Israel, the people of the United Arab Emirates, and the people of the Kingdom of Bahrain. God Bless You All!
I can now turn all of my attention to promoting even more division and conflict within my own country.
Old 15th September 2020, 04:14 PM   #1452
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Trump Tweets

Conservative Girl
@ConservUSA38
We can beat them at their game #PedoBiden
I see. That's how you want to play it.

MeidasTouch has a response to that.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I just never thought I'd see the day where a US president would behave is such a despicable manner as Trump. To sink so low as to push this QAnon pedophile CT against Biden and to allow his son to do so, too, is beyond disgusting. He has taken the Office of the Presidency and turned it into a peepshow, the kind you only go to after dark, alone and with your head down in fear someone might recognize you.
I'm not surprised, on the other hand. Remember, Trump projects and accuses others of his sins like crazy.
Old 15th September 2020, 04:27 PM   #1453
Aridas

To poke at a couple not quite random other things -

Here's a nice short comic to demonstrate what Defund the Police is supposed to mean.

WaPo Publishes Gaslighting Op-Ed by AEI Snowflake Terrified of Competent Government

Short summary?

Quote:
the Washington Post has published an op-ed by a “senior fellow” of the right-wing American Enterprise Institute named Danielle Pletka, who claims that she “never considered voting for Trump in 2016” but “may be forced to vote for him this year” because she is terrified, absolutely riven with fear and consumed with dread, of “the tyranny of the woke left.”

Of course, everything that terrifies her comes straight from the annals of Republican fan fiction

That though, reminded me of a couple amusing Republican paradoxes. To poke at a couple there...

Quote:
Only the tyranny of Trump can save us from tyranny.
Our cities must burn under Trump to prevent our cities from burning.
It's fine to reject facts as they are, as long as you tell it like it is.
Allowing Americans to forfeit their lives to a deadly disease is the only way to stop panicky Americans from risking their lives.
Trump has no choice but to rig the election in order to prevent the election from being rigged.
After making America great again, the only remaining challenge is to make America great again again.
The best people quit and write nasty tell-all books because they are the worst people.
It's racist to claim that racism is racist, but it's not at all racist to claim that it's racist to claim that racism is racist.
Only tax cuts for the rich can save the economy and prevent us from having to implement more tax cuts for the rich.
Trump's lifetime of screwing over the little guy makes him the ideal champion of the screwed-over little guy.

Moving on...

Trump confirms Woodward report he decried as 'fiction' in 2018

Quote:
And since Trump’s brain is essentially blood pudding at this point, a lie from 2018 is sure to escape his notice. As it did this morning during an interview with Fox & Friends.

CNN:

Quote:
In perhaps the most notable moment of the session, Trump said he had previously wanted to order the assassination of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, and "had him all set," but that then-Secretary of Defense James Mattis opposed the idea.

This was a complete contradiction from Trump's comments two years ago. After journalist Bob Woodward reported in 2018 that Trump had wanted Assad assassinated after a Syrian chemical attack on civilians in 2017, Trump told reporters that the report was "fiction" and that an assassination "was never even contemplated, nor would it be contemplated."
Old 15th September 2020, 04:50 PM   #1454
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
And? What was true in 2018 isn't necessarily true today.

I'm sure Putin told Trump it was now okay to say he wanted to kill Assad so that Trump can look like a tough guy instead of the pathetic, whining mess we've been seeing so clearly the last few months.

Also, who could possibly believe the current account? That he would accept advice from one of his cabinet officials is ******* preposterous.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 05:04 PM   #1455
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“Players take knee, raise fist, stay in locker room, during National Anthem”.
@FoxNews No thanks, tell them to “protest” some other time!
From Trump's greatest hits, but today's situation is different than last fall - NBA players have an extremely compelling reason to protest, almost a duty at this point. If Trump is dissing LeBron James he can get stuffed. IMO the leadership athletes can provide would be the sincerest form of patriotism. There's the virus response; there's attacks on voting rights; and of course the is the ongoing issue of police violence. This isn't the time for widespread street protests, IMO. It should be direct marketing to increase turnout, addressing every single impediment to voting possible. And the politicians should be getting literally tons of postcards etc. so they understand their constituents' concerns. The registration deadline is Oct. 5 in many states. Don't let a single voter go uncontacted. This needs to be a full-court press.

This needs to be happening with Latinos, too. IMO Jeb Bush or similar would be a good choice. With the dropping of the DACA protections, Trump told another massive lie. Where is the legislative solution? Legislators need to be called out on this. There are probably a dozen issues that could help motivate would-be voters.

Please tell me this is happening already - in person, by mail, on TV, on *billboards*, and all over social media. Get granular: I'm talking about reaching individuals, not a top-down media strategy to push the whole Democratic agenda. Focus on some down-ticket races. Lawmakers need to be getting mail from constituents concerned about public health, access to health care (not the same thing), the Dream Act, local and global pollution, police training, reproductive rights, universal background checks on gun purchases, gay and trangender rights, voting by mail and voter suppression. Don't target everyone on all issues, just pivotal ones for their demographic. Use big data as necessary.

This comes down to a lot of individuals believing they can affect the outcome. I don't think it can happen any other way.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 05:28 PM   #1456
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Conservative Girl
@ConservUSA38
We can beat them at their game #PedoBiden
OK. Is that a retweet? Usually you say. "Conservative Girl" and "PedoBiden" totally sounds like a real person and not a sock puppet.

He's trolling either way.

BTW: I don't think he does this for his fans. It's part of a strategy to keep the left triggered and complaining amongst themselves. Piss off, Donald.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 05:32 PM   #1457
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Retweeted

Scott W. Atlas
@SWAtlasHoover
I was asked by the President of the United States to help formulate healthcare policy during the biggest healthcare crisis in a century. My extensive background in both medical science and healthcare policy provides a unique and urgently needed perspective on this matter.
Kinda late for policy planning, isn't it? Maybe he's so good he can produce what the GOP has been promising for over a decade.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 05:35 PM   #1458
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
If only America had some sort of intelligence service and advisors who could keep the president up to date on these things, so he wouldn't have to learn of them from the news.
I got a case of whiplash upon seeing that Trump was relying on the FAKE NEWS for his information.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 05:38 PM   #1459
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I just never thought I'd see the day where a US president would behave is such a despicable manner as Trump. To sink so low as to push this QAnon pedophile CT against Biden and to allow his son to do so, too, is beyond disgusting. He has taken the Office of the Presidency and turned it into a peepshow, the kind you only go to after dark, alone and with your head down in fear someone might recognize you.
The kind with sticky floors? (I've heard.)

He said a week or so ago that he was going to get much nastier. But really, at this point, who is he tweeting at? I don't think it's his base, because how much more bonded could they be? IMO, it's a distraction. It's always a distraction.

Last edited by Minoosh; 15th September 2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 15th September 2020, 06:22 PM   #1460
Venom
Illuminator

The deplorables don't care that a sitting president is behaving this way.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 06:26 PM   #1461
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
In the complaint, it involved one doctor in particular, albeit with support by the people around him, if I read it correctly. I wouldn't assume that Trump's involved directly, though Trump certainly has worked to emphasize (sadly not create) a general culture and trend in ICE that makes it entirely unsurprising, though no less disgusting.

Of note, though, this kind of thing has been documented as having been done to Native American and black women, too, in the past.

White women, too.

It was a handy way to get rid of pesky young relatives who let themselves get knocked up and accused daddy or uncle Bill of raping them. Get a cooperative doctor to certify that the kid was nutso, have the baby put out for adoption, and send the kid to the funny farm, where hysterectomies for immorality were not an unusual prescription.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 06:33 PM   #1462
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
OK. Is that a retweet? Usually you say. "Conservative Girl" and "PedoBiden" totally sounds like a real person and not a sock puppet.

He's trolling either way.

BTW: I don't think he does this for his fans. It's part of a strategy to keep the left triggered and complaining amongst themselves. Piss off, Donald.

I don't think it's any sort of a strategy at all. Trump doesn't do strategy. He doesn't need to. Strategy implies forethought, and that's one thing Trump has never been accused of by anyone. Some of the people around him may try, but only to a small extent. If they try too hard they won't be around him anymore.

I think that these twits from Trump used to come in smaller bursts because his handlers would get his phone away from him from time to time. But they have since realized that it really didn't matter what he posted,because his cult members loved all of it, and nobody else could do anything about it.

So why bother trying to stop him?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 06:40 PM   #1463
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

Or even a Montreal Cognitive Assessment Test. Live. In real time. Unedited. In front of a person, woman, man, camera, and TV.
Old 15th September 2020, 07:27 PM   #1464
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I can now turn all of my attention to promoting even more division and conflict within my own country.
America First! Vote Biden!
Old 15th September 2020, 09:22 PM   #1465
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Hillary Clinton said "you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables." At this point, anyone still supporting Trump belongs in that basket. Anyone.
Old 15th September 2020, 11:10 PM   #1466
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

In case you missed the Trump town hall, here's a 2 minutes recap by CNN's amazing fact checker Daniel Dale: https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/st...68705634287622
Old 16th September 2020, 12:08 AM   #1467
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
In case you missed the Trump town hall, here's a 2 minutes recap by CNN's amazing fact checker Daniel Dale: https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/st...68705634287622
Unfortunately anyone who actually cares about any of that is already vehemently anti-President Trump - maybe 40% of the electorate.

Another 40% will support President Trump regardless of what he says.

20% or so are lower information voters who won't fact-check or listen to the fact check but will get the soundbites from President Trump's speech so might believe him
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 01:21 AM   #1468
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Now now... don't paint with TOO broad a brush.
Of his pageants, it's not his Miss America contest but rather his Miss Teen America pageant that it is claimed he "peeked" into the changing rooms of.
Just claims mind you, but let's keep to as he says... "the facts". Not "miss" but "miss teen".
Got it?

Actually, that's wrong, although the two are conflated. It was the Miss America pageants that he boasted of going into the changing rooms of. The Miss Teen contestants called him creepy and dehumanising.
Old 16th September 2020, 01:45 AM   #1469
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump denies downplaying severity of virus

Quote:
US President Donald Trump has denied downplaying the seriousness of Covid-19, despite admitting in a recorded interview to having done that.

At a televised event with voters, Mr Trump said he had "up-played" it.

The claim contradicts comments Mr Trump made to journalist Bob Woodward earlier this year, when he said he minimised the virus's severity to avoid panic.

Mr Trump also repeated on Tuesday that a vaccine could be ready "within weeks" despite scepticism from health experts.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54172311
Old 16th September 2020, 01:59 AM   #1470
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump retweeted

thebradfordfile™
@thebradfordfile
President Trump had a historic event for world peace today, and the only thing the media reported on was who was wearing masks.

Trump isn't running against Biden.
He's running against the media.
And he's still going to win.
Old 16th September 2020, 02:03 AM   #1471
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Actually, that's wrong, although the two are conflated. It was the Miss America pageants that he boasted of going into the changing rooms of. The Miss Teen contestants called him creepy and dehumanising.
I'll buy that. Thanks.
Gawd knows he needs every thing he can get that'll raise my opinion of him. Even that little bit.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 02:09 AM   #1472
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Trump retweeted

thebradfordfile™
@thebradfordfile
President Trump had a historic event for world peace today, and the only thing the media reported on was who was wearing masks.

Trump isn't running against Biden.
He's running against the media.
And he's still going to win.
Many here on the forum (myself included) find Biden a less than perfect candidate, and hoped for someone else to be the Democratic nominee.

But the way Trumpworld tweets and campaigns, they really would like to run against anyone but Biden.

The "real" candidate is Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, the Squad, BLM, Antifa, the evil media, etc ..
The last days I also saw a new theme emerging, where Biden is just a placeholder, and if elected will soon resign (or die), and then the new "real" candidate, Harris, will take power and both defund the police (hear that, suburban "housewives") and imprison Black men as she's also a bad cop (hear that, POC).

I still feel that they expected that Burisma would bury Biden in the primaries, and that Sanders or Warren would be the candidate.

Last edited by Firestone; 16th September 2020 at 02:12 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 02:22 AM   #1473
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump denies downplaying severity of virus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54172311
Who you gonna believe, President Trump or your own lyin' eyes ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 02:48 AM   #1474
Mojo
Mostly harmless

'I up-played it': Donald Trump disputes own admission he downplayed Covid pandemic

Quote:
At the ABC town hall, the president also said the virus would “go away”, with or without a vaccine. This would happen because of “herd mentality”, he said. It is unclear whether he meant heard immunity, because he repeated the phrase several times.

“It would go away without the vaccine, George,” he told ABC journalist George Stephanopoulos. “With time it goes away. And you’ll develop like a herd mentality. It’s going to be herd developed, and that’s going to happen. That will all happen.”

“Herd mentality”. That what his supporters have, right?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 02:52 AM   #1475
TofuFighter
Master Poster

I consider myself well read on the histories of presidents, particularly those who served in my lifetime. Those stretch from Nixon to Trump. I simply can't imagine any of them being on the campaign trail while the entire west coast was up in flames and a major hurricane was about to strike the Gulf Coast. I have every confidence that all those other presidents, including Nixon would have been in the White House (or Camp David which has been used as an emergency command post when the Situation Room was down for some reason), making sure the full force and power of the US Government was being applied to protect American Citizens and ease their burdens.
Typical blue-staters. Treat me badly, very badly, worse than anyone thought possible, then expect me to help them.
Old 16th September 2020, 02:53 AM   #1476
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Trump threatens to retaliate with '1,000 times greater' force against any Iran attack

That Nobel Peace Prize must be in the bag now.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 02:54 AM   #1477
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Herd mentality. A new term for living in Trump's post-fact world.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 02:59 AM   #1478
Aridas

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Ahh, right. I think that this whopper is one of the new champions in the up is down and down is up, black is white and white is black style of GOP propaganda. After all, he's literally saying that down is up now.
Old 16th September 2020, 03:19 AM   #1479
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Your quite wrong.
They are happy that he is behaving this way.

Some are happy because they think it is true.
Some are happy because they say to themselves and others, “maybe this is the straw that will break the camel’s back. Maybe this is the thing that will finally show rank and file liberals how evil the Democratic leadership is.”
Old 16th September 2020, 03:25 AM   #1480
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump saying he up-played it is the perfect move.

The right wing talking heads will say, “It’s obvious the MSM doesn’t know what they are doing - first they say he downplayed it, then they say he up-played it. Message to fake media: “make up your mind.’”

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics