ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 4th October 2020, 11:58 AM   #41
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,739
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Um no.

It tends to come from both sides in the US.

Odd old place the US
Um, not so much. The vast majority of this kind of thinking comes from the far right, not the left.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2020, 12:50 PM   #42
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 21,867
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Could happen. Seems most every cop in the nation is friendly to the Proud Boys and envy the freedom to pound liberals at will. In the case of the goons taking over, Russia, Turkey, Poland, Hungary, the Saudis and Bolsonaro's Brazil, plus a few more, will cheer. Not a strong enough alliance of strategic interests, as this excludes both the EU and China. More of a losers club.

Whatever happens, it will be a very close call between private interests and the public interest. Will the 0.1% go for Hitler 2.0?
I promise you that the police agencies in DC are not friendly with The Proud Boys or any other white nationalists.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2020, 01:31 PM   #43
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 14,017
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I promise you that the police agencies in DC are not friendly with The Proud Boys or any other white nationalists.
DC Police are special, unique in the region. MD and VA are another story.
__________________
"Absolute truth" is opinion in disguise and often carrying a weapon.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 10:47 PM   #44
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 21,867
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
DC Police are special, unique in the region. MD and VA are another story.
Depends. In Prince Georges and Montgomery County the police are more like those in DC. Alexandria/Arlington police won't go be sympathetic to white nationalist. You're right though as you get farther south and west of DC. Being a white nationalist north of DC, getting into the Baltimore metro area would be assisted suicide. Baltimore cops don't discriminate; they'll kill anyone.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 09:30 AM   #45
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 13,718
And it has started:


https://eu.freep.com/story/news/loca...ia/5921409002/

Milita group planned to kidnap Governor Gretchen Whitmer, according to the FBI.
Six people arrested.
__________________
Ceterum autem censeo fox et amicis esse delendam.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 09:55 AM   #46
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 14,017
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Depends. In Prince Georges and Montgomery County the police are more like those in DC. Alexandria/Arlington police won't go be sympathetic to white nationalist. You're right though as you get farther south and west of DC. Being a white nationalist north of DC, getting into the Baltimore metro area would be assisted suicide. Baltimore cops don't discriminate; they'll kill anyone.
I think I ran into some difficulties into every county in MD, mostly traffic-related, and VA was a no-go zone. WVA, back in the day, was actually nicer. If you can believe it, back when it was National Airport and you could drive right up to a traffic circle at the main terminal, I use to practice spin and skid control when it rained or snowed. Place was entirely closed, or almost so, at night, so nobody around. Think I saw local security doing the same thing more than once. But the DC-MD line... ah, one of legend, with the Park Police thrown in for good measure. In DC the only real thing was not getting hit with a mega parking ticket, OMG.

Heck of a lot less traffic then. Maybe less than half, especially at night.

ETA: Favorite all-time encounter with Park Police was going up Capital Hill driving a Tourmobile. Damn things had busted engines and could barely crawl up, so you had to be bold when the traffic light in the middle turned yellow, and pray. Not that there was any meaningful traffic coming up that side street. Rookie new on the job pulled me over for no license plates (we had none), running the light, and so on. Real hot day, real hot. Swamp-humid, as the Mall can get. Eighty passengers suddenly with no breeze through the side windows, no AC, and pissed off at the cop. Black guy. I sympathized because I knew the powers that be would wave a wand when he called it in, so I wasn't all that upset. Got a lesson in how midwesterners can whisper racist curses as they disembarked... at the Capital Building. Hoooweee! ... Man was my narrator that day hot, too, as I recall, and my age. Good times.

Then there were the female tourists and free-lance narrators looking for one-night cowboys... Cushy job, pre-AIDS. Paradise, I believe they call it. Paid for my Masters at Georgetown.
__________________
"Absolute truth" is opinion in disguise and often carrying a weapon.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 8th October 2020 at 10:10 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 10:06 AM   #47
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 30,148
(Detroit News) - The FBI thwarted what they described as a plot to violently overthrow the government and kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and federal prosecutors are expected to discuss the alleged conspiracy later Thursday.

Quote:
The court filing also alleges the conspirators twice conducted surveillance at Whitmer's personal vacation home and discussed kidnapping her to a "secure location" in Wisconsin to stand "trial" for treason prior to the Nov. 3 election.

"Several members talked about murdering 'tyrants' or 'taking' a sitting governor," an FBI agent wrote in the affidavit. "The group decided they needed to increase their numbers and encouraged each other to talk to their neighbors and spread their message."
https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/new...er/5922301002/


Trump tweeted om 17th April
LIBERATE MICHIGAN!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 10:47 AM   #48
The_Animus
Illuminator
 
The_Animus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,250
Quite a distinction between the left and right. The left riots for the equal treatment of black people and their right not to be murdered by police.

The right wants to kidnap and overthrow democratically elected government because they have to wear masks during a pandemic.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 11:24 AM   #49
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,693
Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Quite a distinction between the left and right. The left riots for the equal treatment of black people and their right not to be murdered by police.

The right wants to kidnap and overthrow democratically elected government because they have to wear masks during a pandemic.
It's no contest. Left wing groups that take illegal direct action usually do not have the goal of murdering people. ALF might sabotage a farm or break into a lab, but they aren't going to walk into a church and gun down people based on their race.

Right wingers are the #1 domestic terror threat in this country and have been for decades.

Quote:
To evaluate the ongoing threat from different types of terrorists, however, it is useful to consider the proportion of fatalities attributed to each type of perpetrator annually. In 14 of the 21 years between 1994 and 2019 in which fatal terrorist attacks occurred, the majority of deaths resulted from right-wing attacks. In eight of these years, right-wing attackers caused all of the fatalities, and in three more—including 2018 and 2019—they were responsible for more than 90 percent of annual fatalities.11 Therefore, while religious terrorists caused the largest number of total fatalities, right-wing attackers were most likely to cause more deaths in a given year.
https://www.csis.org/analysis/escala...-united-states
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 11:28 AM   #50
rockysmith76
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's no contest. Left wing groups that take illegal direct action usually do not have the goal of murdering people. ALF might sabotage a farm or break into a lab, but they aren't going to walk into a church and gun down people based on their race.

Right wingers are the #1 domestic terror threat in this country and have been for decades.



https://www.csis.org/analysis/escala...-united-states
The ELF was left wing and little better than organized arsonists. the fact they never killed anyone was more luck than intent. They were domestic terrorists by definition, and were funded in part by the ALF and PETA.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 11:30 AM   #51
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,693
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
The ELF was left wing and little better than organized arsonists. the fact they never killed anyone was more luck than intent. They were domestic terrorists by definition, and were funded in part by the ALF and PETA.
Individual right wing gunmen have killed more people than years of total combined attacks by the left. It's quite clear where the most dangerous terrorists come from, and it's from radicalized right.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 8th October 2020 at 11:36 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 11:42 AM   #52
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,739
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
The ELF was left wing and little better than organized arsonists. the fact they never killed anyone was more luck than intent. They were domestic terrorists by definition, and were funded in part by the ALF and PETA.
Not supported by facts or evidence. This, from the Southern Poverty Law Center, suggests the lack of deaths is entirely due to intent:

Quote:
In fact, with dozens of terrorist attacks causing an estimated $30 million in damages since 1997 — the ELF disavows harm to "any animal, human or non-human," and so far, apparently, has not caused any
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 11:47 AM   #53
rockysmith76
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not supported by facts or evidence. This, from the Southern Poverty Law Center, suggests the lack of deaths is entirely due to intent:
Biased source either way, They were leftist and they engaged in violent acts of terror regardless, it was due to luck.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 11:49 AM   #54
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,613
Yeah if you think 2+2=a potato a textbook that says "2+2=4" is a biased source to you.

"Bias" is the most basic bedrock need for living in a post-fact world. Nobody is allowed to tell you that you are wrong because them disagreeing with you makes them "biased."
__________________
- No, someone having reality and facts on their side does not mean they have been given an unfair advantage and it is not a bias against you. You're just wrong.
- There is no Overton Window for facts.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 8th October 2020 at 12:17 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 12:15 PM   #55
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,739
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Biased source either way, They were leftist and they engaged in violent acts of terror regardless, it was due to luck.
If 'dozens of terrorist acts' all end in no deaths out of sheer luck, then I want to go to Vegas and gamble with these guys cuz, lord a mighty, they got the luck o' the Irish.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 12:25 PM   #56
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 30,148
Whitmer: "Our head of state has spent the past 7 months denying science, ignoring his own health experts, stoking distrust, fomenting anger, & giving comfort to those who spread fear ... just last week, POTUS stood before the people and refused to condemn white supremacists."
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 12:29 PM   #57
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient
 
Firestone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,639
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Whitmer: "Our head of state has spent the past 7 months denying science, ignoring his own health experts, stoking distrust, fomenting anger, & giving comfort to those who spread fear ... just last week, POTUS stood before the people and refused to condemn white supremacists."
Jason Miller (Trump campaign) reacts: "If we want to talk about hatred, then Gov. Whitmer, go look in the mirror! The fact that she wakes up every day with such hatred in her heart towards President Trump"

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/s...684572674?s=19
__________________
The method of science is tried and true. It is not perfect, it's just the best we have. And to abandon it, with its skeptical protocols is the pathway to a dark age. -- Carl Sagan
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 12:47 PM   #58
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,739
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Jason Miller (Trump campaign) reacts: "If we want to talk about hatred, then Gov. Whitmer, go look in the mirror! The fact that she wakes up every day with such hatred in her heart towards President Trump"

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/s...684572674?s=19
What an idiot. He should remember that old adage "It's better to be suspected a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 12:50 PM   #59
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 14,017
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Biased source either way, They were leftist and they engaged in violent acts of terror regardless, it was due to luck.
Hardly the same. But let's grant you your point. Now condemn this plan to engage in violent acts of terror and armed sedition against Whitmer in equal terms, adding the severity the "step up" in targets deserves.
__________________
"Absolute truth" is opinion in disguise and often carrying a weapon.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:24 PM   #60
Lurch
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,617
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Biased source either way, They were leftist and they engaged in violent acts of terror regardless, it was due to luck.
If it was purely down to luck only, then statistics would suggest some accidental killings or maiming.

In the end, though, results count for something. Leftists haven't killed, whereas rightists have.

Which form or terrorism would you prefer? Lefties blessed with the good luck to avoid casualties, or righties that are competent at killing?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:31 PM   #61
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 48,796
SO terrorism is OK if the left does it?
That seems to be the belief of a lot of people here.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:32 PM   #62
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,613
Even at face value (which we're nowhere near with arguments from Right) "I'm going to be violent to make the world a better place" and "I'm going to be violent to keep the world a worse place" are not morally equal.

And which is Right? Is the Left a bunch of snowflakes who need safe spaces or violent unhinged revolutionaries?
__________________
- No, someone having reality and facts on their side does not mean they have been given an unfair advantage and it is not a bias against you. You're just wrong.
- There is no Overton Window for facts.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 8th October 2020 at 01:37 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:35 PM   #63
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,739
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SO terrorism is OK if the left does it?
That seems to be the belief of a lot of people here.
I fail to see how you came to that conclusion based on what's been said here. No one said it's OK. It's certainly not mine.

ETA: Please identify those you think hold that belief.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:41 PM   #64
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 48,796
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I fail to see how you came to that conclusion based on what's been said here. No one said it's OK. It's certainly not mine.

ETA: Please identify those you think hold that belief.
Th eones basically makiing excuses for the ELF. if they hasve not killed somebody iy id putr luvk. That might not be t heir aim, but the methods they use certainly have the high potential of killing people.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:45 PM   #65
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster
 
jerrywayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,083
Governor Whitmer's statement:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mi...?ocid=msedgntp

13 members of two militias charged.

Last edited by jerrywayne; 8th October 2020 at 01:49 PM.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:57 PM   #66
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster
 
jerrywayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,083
More from the governor: Trump complicit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/go...?ocid=msedgdhp
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:06 PM   #67
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster
 
jerrywayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,083
Nancy Pelosi is saying she will talk about the 25th Amendment tomorrow. She's giving fuel to the militia movement, imho.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:07 PM   #68
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 30,148
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Jason Miller (Trump campaign) reacts: "If we want to talk about hatred, then Gov. Whitmer, go look in the mirror! The fact that she wakes up every day with such hatred in her heart towards President Trump"

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/s...684572674?s=19
I wonder what inspires people to try and kill her?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:11 PM   #69
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,835
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
The ELF was left wing and little better than organized arsonists. the fact they never killed anyone was more luck than intent. They were domestic terrorists by definition, and were funded in part by the ALF and PETA.
Yes, ELF would be more dangerous if they were more dangerous.

It’s like you listened to Pence’s swine flu argument last night and didn’t realize it was moronic.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:12 PM   #70
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,566
Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
Nancy Pelosi is saying she will talk about the 25th Amendment tomorrow. She's giving fuel to the militia movement, imho.
Voting Trump out will fuel the militia movement....

This doesn't mean we shouldn't vote the MF out.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:12 PM   #71
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,835
Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
Nancy Pelosi is saying she will talk about the 25th Amendment tomorrow. She's giving fuel to the militia movement, imho.
And they’ve been so well-behaved up until now.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:18 PM   #72
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,739
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Th eones basically makiing excuses for the ELF. if they hasve not killed somebody iy id putr luvk. That might not be t heir aim, but the methods they use certainly have the high potential of killing people.
I think I see your problem. By stating the fact that no one has been killed in the dozens of act of terrorism enacted by ELF which suggest intent rather than luck, you infer that means we think the acts themselves are OK. Um...no.

Of course their methods have the potential to kill people. But so far they haven't. That is not something you can say about the right wing acts of terrorism.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:21 PM   #73
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,739
I think we're at the stage where Trump needs to be assessed by a mental health team whether he agrees to it or not.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:24 PM   #74
Distracted1
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,071
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Even at face value (which we're nowhere near with arguments from Right) "I'm going to be violent to make the world a better place" and "I'm going to be violent to keep the world a worse place" are not morally equal.

And which is Right? Is the Left a bunch of snowflakes who need safe spaces or violent unhinged revolutionaries?
You highlight a reason why many find much to criticize on either end of this spectrum. "being violent" unnecessarily makes the world a worse place all by itself.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

Last edited by Distracted1; 8th October 2020 at 02:25 PM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:41 PM   #75
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,613
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
You highlight a reason why many find much to criticize on either end of this spectrum. "being violent" unnecessarily makes the world a worse place all by itself.
Oh pishtosh, balderdash, hogwash, and other assorted old timey swear words.

People punching you in the face always want to lecture you about "your" violence whenever you punch them back.

We didn't stop the Nazis by "using our words." Black people didn't stop being property because of a "civil debate among equals."
__________________
- No, someone having reality and facts on their side does not mean they have been given an unfair advantage and it is not a bias against you. You're just wrong.
- There is no Overton Window for facts.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:45 PM   #76
Distracted1
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,071
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh pishtosh, balderdash, hogwash, and other assorted old timey swear words.

People punching you in the face always want to lecture you about "your" violence whenever you punch them back.

We didn't stop the Nazis by "using our words." Black people didn't stop being property because of a "civil debate among equals."
Can't get that government boot off our necks without blowing up a few federal buildings then, I guess.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:54 PM   #77
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,613
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Can't get that government boot off our necks without blowing up a few federal buildings then, I guess.
Well tell you what when that happens we'll have a nice, deep conversation about with all the hair splitting and pettifogging and forced obtuseness and false equivalency your little heart desires.

But as it stands now it's the government's boot that has people planning to kidnap and assassination governors in order to protect it so.... *makes scurry off gesture*
__________________
- No, someone having reality and facts on their side does not mean they have been given an unfair advantage and it is not a bias against you. You're just wrong.
- There is no Overton Window for facts.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 03:00 PM   #78
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think we're at the stage where Trump needs to be assessed by a mental health team whether he agrees to it or not.
From your lips to Pelosi's ears


Quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Rep. Jamie B. Raskin (D-Md.) plan to introduce legislation Friday that would create a commission to “help ensure effective and uninterrupted leadership” in the presidency.

The panel would be called the Commission on Presidential Capacity to Discharge the Powers and Duties of Office, “the body and process called for in the 25th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution,” the offices of Pelosi and Raskin said in a statement announcing the move.

The 25th Amendment formalizes that the vice president takes over the duties of the presidency in the event of a president’s death, inability to perform his duties or resignation from office. It also lays out a process by which a sitting president may be removed from office. Congress’s role in this, however, is limited.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 03:16 PM   #79
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster
 
Mader Levap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,256
This kind of thing will trigger Trump even more, making him say even more unhinged things.

In other words, it's Friday in murica.
__________________
Sanity is overrated. / Voting for Republicans is morally equivalent to voting for Nazis in early 30's.
Mader Levap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 03:17 PM   #80
Distracted1
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,071
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Well tell you what when that happens we'll have a nice, deep conversation about with all the hair splitting and pettifogging and forced obtuseness and false equivalency your little heart desires.

But as it stands now it's the government's boot that has people planning to kidnap and assassination governors in order to protect it so.... *makes scurry off gesture*
Funny, I consider "Governors" to be part of the government. Something to do with spelling, I suppose.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.