ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:45 AM   #401
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Parsimony.
Since you are probably not saying that one hypothesis is cheaper than the other, I imagine that you are attempting to apply Occam's Razor (no gods is the simpler explanation).

Even if that applies, it has nothing to do with what made-up theory is more valid than the other.
Old 15th October 2020, 02:44 PM   #402
RolandRat
Muse

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
So why is one more valid than the other?
One is vastly more probable than the other.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 04:27 PM   #403
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
You are aware that here Facebook posts aren't part of the Bible ???
But it has its own FB page!?

Practically all of the content would violate FB’s fact checking policies?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 06:42 PM   #404
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
One is vastly more probable than the other.
That has nothing to do with "parsimony" and you have no idea about the probabilities.
Old 16th October 2020, 12:44 AM   #405
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This is the first time you have used the word "claim" in our exchange. What claim is that? What exactly do you want me to prove?
What I asked you.
Old 16th October 2020, 01:02 AM   #406
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Even if that applies, it has nothing to do with what made-up theory is more valid than the other.
Since you introduced the concept of validity to this discussion, please define what you personally mean by it, so that we know we're addressing the same issue.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 01:17 AM   #407
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What I asked you.
I think I will wait until you stop talking in circles.
Old 16th October 2020, 01:33 AM   #408
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think I will wait until you stop talking in circles.
If you have forgotten what you posted perhaps reread your posts?
Old 16th October 2020, 03:39 AM   #409
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

If you have forgotten what you posted perhaps reread your posts?
Your strange request was originally in response to an unrelated post. Maybe you need to reread the posts.
Old 16th October 2020, 08:19 AM   #410
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Your strange request was originally in response to an unrelated post. Maybe you need to reread the posts.
Just did and yep you still haven’t provided the evidence for your claim so I shall assume you made it up.
Old 16th October 2020, 12:38 PM   #411
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Just did and yep you still haven’t provided the evidence for your claim so I shall assume you made it up.
I didn't make a claim.
Old 16th October 2020, 10:08 PM   #412
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't make a claim.
Sure you did. This is a claim....
...it is quoting the bible that has effectively been outlawed.

... so is this...
She wasn't sacked for simply being a Christian but because she criticized a government educational policy.

... and this...
This has gone well beyond practising discrimination. It is now becoming unlawful to express biblical views if they are politically incorrect.
You have made these claims, you have failed to back them up with sources or evidence

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 10:36 PM   #413
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You have made these claims, you have failed to back them up with sources or evidence
Which one of these claims is Darat referring to and what do "scripture quotes that mention trans people" have to do with them.
Old 16th October 2020, 10:39 PM   #414
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Which one of these claims is Darat referring to and what do "scripture quotes that mention trans people" have to do with them.
Another dodge.

Just substantiate your claims.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 10:49 PM   #415
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I'm guessing that you don't regard a tribunal ruling as part of case law.
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Can you cite one that has ruled that anybody who quotes the bible, paraphrases the bible, makes statements consistent with the bible or indicates concurrence with what is written is the bible is to be labeled "homophobic" and punished?

Found one yet?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 10:54 PM   #416
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Another dodge.

Just substantiate your claims.
I am not interested in your derail. If you don't know what Darat is on about then butt out.
Old 17th October 2020, 01:36 AM   #417
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I am not interested in your derail.
Its not a derail. You said you have not made a claim - I proved that you did

The fact that you know the quotes I posted are not related to what Darat was asking show that you know exactly what he was asking

Time for you to stop dodging and playing childish games..

....butt out.
No!

Old 17th October 2020, 01:48 AM   #418
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

I am not interested in your derail. If you don't know what Darat is on about then butt out.
If this is the best her defenders can do it's no wonder she lost her tribunal.
Old 17th October 2020, 03:11 AM   #419
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
If this is the best her defenders can do it's no wonder she lost her tribunal.
The right to criticize the government - even on religious grounds - is not something that should need defending.
Old 17th October 2020, 04:22 AM   #420
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The right to criticize the government - even on religious grounds - is not something that should need defending.
And has no relevance to this story.
Old 17th October 2020, 09:23 AM   #421
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Anybody who quotes the bible, paraphrases the bible, makes statements consistent with the bible or indicates concurrence with what is written is the bible is to be labeled "homophobic" and punished.
Can you cite any authority for that?
Count the number of posters in this thread who haven't said that just the facebook posts alone prove that the woman in question is "homophobic" and her sacking is justified (it won't take long).

I realize that she wasn't dismissed because she is homophobic. Instead, it was decided that a facebook post pointing out the incompatibility of the relations program and biblically based teaching was an act of "gross misconduct".
The opinions of posters in this thread are not legal precedents. You need to cite legislation or case law.
Can you cite one that has ruled that anybody who quotes the bible, paraphrases the bible, makes statements consistent with the bible or indicates concurrence with what is written is the bible is to be labeled "homophobic" and punished?

Well?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 01:06 PM   #422
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

... As for other forms of transgenderism, they weren't an issue in those times but if they were then a reasonable person would suppose that they are off the cards too.
Isn't that a bit like assuming any foodstuff not mentioned is non-kosher? Why would you think it reasonable to assume a prohibition on any behaviour that wasn't considered worth mentioning?

When you say "they weren't an issue in those times" are you saying that humans have changed in a couple of thousand years? Also of course, there are other places as well as times. The OT is the law book of one culture in one area of the Middle East. Other world cultures have had different attitudes to sexuality and gender issues over the centuries. It's not as if there was a straight Golden Age with few transgressors and now suddenly the world has gone crazy. People have always just been people (unless you have some insight suggesting otherwise).
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 01:11 PM   #423
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Of course, that isn't what she was fired for... but you already knew that didn't you.

Old 17th October 2020, 01:18 PM   #424
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

And has no relevance to this story.
Is it your argument that whether she had made the facebook posts or not she would still have been accused of gross misconduct and sacked?
Old 17th October 2020, 01:22 PM   #425
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Isn't that a bit like assuming any foodstuff not mentioned is non-kosher? Why would you think it reasonable to assume a prohibition on any behaviour that wasn't considered worth mentioning?

When you say "they weren't an issue in those times" are you saying that humans have changed in a couple of thousand years? Also of course, there are other places as well as times. The OT is the law book of one culture in one area of the Middle East. Other world cultures have had different attitudes to sexuality and gender issues over the centuries. It's not as if there was a straight Golden Age with few transgressors and now suddenly the world has gone crazy. People have always just been people (unless you have some insight suggesting otherwise).
Are you really arguing that the bible left out sex change operations from the list of sins because they believed that it was ok and not because they had no idea that such a thing was possible?
Old 17th October 2020, 03:53 PM   #426
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Are you really arguing that the bible left out sex change operations from the list of sins because they believed that it was ok and not because they had no idea that such a thing was possible?
Do you eat shellfish? Or wear mixed fibre clothing? Because those sure seemed important enough to include in the commandments.

Or are you saying that your god never knew that transgender would be a thing at some point in the future?

Or are you saying that the magic book is wrong? Surely dog would have known in advance.

How about slavery? Are you all good with slavery?

How about human sacrifice? Because the magic book is all good with that too.

And the list goes on. Drunken rape? Genocide? War? All OK by you?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 03:56 PM   #427
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Is it your argument that whether she had made the facebook posts or not she would still have been accused of gross misconduct and sacked?
Back-to-back strawmen.... you must have an endless supply of straw!

Old 17th October 2020, 06:53 PM   #428
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Do you eat shellfish? Or wear mixed fibre clothing? Because those sure seemed important enough to include in the commandments.

Or are you saying that your god never knew that transgender would be a thing at some point in the future?

Or are you saying that the magic book is wrong? Surely dog would have known in advance.

How about slavery? Are you all good with slavery?

How about human sacrifice? Because the magic book is all good with that too.

And the list goes on. Drunken rape? Genocide? War? All OK by you?
It's bad enough that this thread has devolved into whether sex change operations are biblically lawful without all of the other cherry picked commandments thrown in as well.

"Judge not lest ye be judged" seems to cover most of it but YMMV.
Old 17th October 2020, 06:54 PM   #429
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Back-to-back strawmen air tight rebuttals....
ftfy.
Old 17th October 2020, 07:25 PM   #430
EHocking
Philosopher

Back-to-back strawmen.... you must have an endless supply of straw!
Exodus 5:11

Go ye, get you straw where ye can find it: yet not ought of your work shall be diminished.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 09:53 PM   #431
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

ftfy.
Nope, though one of the words in your FTFY does include the place where you pulled your arguments from!

Old 18th October 2020, 12:00 AM   #432
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Nope, though one of the words in your FTFY does include the place where you pulled your arguments from!
Yep. Contrary to your belief, mere denial or contradiction does not rebut an argument.

Of course, you have nothing else which is why you focus on the arguer in your posts.
Old 18th October 2020, 12:37 AM   #433
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Found one yet?

Old 18th October 2020, 12:43 AM   #434
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It's bad enough that this thread has devolved into whether sex change operations are biblically lawful without all of the other cherry picked commandments thrown in as well.

If you don’t want to discuss that, why not focus on supporting your claim that there is a tribunal ruling that supports your position?

Old 18th October 2020, 01:30 AM   #435
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Found one yet?
If you don’t want to discuss that, why not focus on supporting your claim that there is a tribunal ruling that supports your position?
This whole thread (aside from the derails) is about a tribunal ruling that her sacking on the grounds of "gross misconduct" was justified.
Old 18th October 2020, 02:01 AM   #436
Mojo
Mostly harmless

This whole thread (aside from the derails) is about a tribunal ruling that her sacking on the grounds of "gross misconduct" was justified.

Yes, but you claim that there is a tribunal ruling that supports this:
Anybody who quotes the bible, paraphrases the bible, makes statements consistent with the bible or indicates concurrence with what is written is the bible is to be labeled "homophobic" and punished.

The one this thread is about doesn’t. Try again.

Last edited by Mojo; 18th October 2020 at 02:05 AM.
Old 18th October 2020, 02:27 AM   #437
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Yes, but you claim that there is a tribunal ruling that supports this:

The one this thread is about doesn’t. Try again.
You can believe that it is pure coincidence that her postings were on religious grounds if you wish.
Old 18th October 2020, 03:07 AM   #438
Mojo
Mostly harmless

You can believe that it is pure coincidence that her postings were on religious grounds if you wish.

The ruling doesn’t support your claim. You need to find one (or some legislation if you prefer) that does, or withdraw the claim.

Old 18th October 2020, 03:26 AM   #439
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

The ruling doesn’t support your claim. You need to find one (or some legislation if you prefer) that does, or withdraw the claim.
If you believe that it is a pure coincidence then that is a reasonable conclusion.

If you were looking for a ruling that said "her sacking was justified on religious grounds" then you won't find anything so blatant.
Old 18th October 2020, 03:45 AM   #440
Mojo
Mostly harmless

If you believe that it is a pure coincidence then that is a reasonable conclusion.

If you were looking for a ruling that said "her sacking was justified on religious grounds" then you won't find anything so blatant.

Please, read the ruling. It doesn’t say what you claim it does.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy