ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th October 2020, 01:16 PM   #681
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Aannnnddd ...

As expected the case has made it to the supreme Court. Sort of.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/13/trum...x-returns.html

Trump's lawyers have asked for access to his financial records to be temporary blocked from prosecutors until they hear/rule on the appeal.

At this point there is no guarantee the court will even hear his appeal. (They could simply look at lower court rulings and say "this case isn't worth our time to hear.)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 04:07 AM   #682
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

A quick&easy way to reform the tax system would be to start with the premise that everything that Trump did should be illegal.
Old 20th October 2020, 08:12 PM   #683
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Fun development: through a shell company, Trump has a previously-unreported bank account in China. While its balance and purpose isn't known, it has paid $188k in Chinese taxes.

CNN story

I'm sure the fact that Trump has paid more than 200 times as much in taxes to China as the US will not come up at all in Thursday's debate.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2020, 08:39 PM   #684
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Fun development: through a shell company, Trump has a previously-unreported bank account in China. While its balance and purpose isn't known, it has paid $188k in Chinese taxes.

CNN story

I'm sure the fact that Trump has paid more than 200 times as much in taxes to China as the US will not come up at all in Thursday's debate.
I think that it might be worth adding to that a little, to poke at another person's quoting of the NYT article -

Quote:
In 2017, the company [Trump International Hotels Management] reported an unusually large spike in revenue — some $17.5 million, more than the previous five years’ combined. It was accompanied by a $15.1 million withdrawal by Mr. Trump from the company’s capital account.

<snip?>

On the president’s public financial disclosures for that year, he reported the large revenue figure, and described it only as “management fees and other contract payments.”
That's more than a little fishy.
Old 21st October 2020, 12:35 AM   #685
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I think that it might be worth adding to that a little, to poke at another person's quoting of the NYT article -

That's more than a little fishy.
And here I thought it was the Bidens supposedly being paid by the Chinese!

Last edited by Stacyhs; 21st October 2020 at 12:38 AM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2020, 12:37 AM   #686
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
And here I thought it was the Biden's supposedly being paid by the Chinese!
Whatever Trump accuses someone else of doing is always a solid lead to something Trump is guilty of.
Old 21st October 2020, 12:40 AM   #687
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You just HAD to go and quote me before I could change "Biden's" to "Bidens", didn't you?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2020, 12:45 AM   #688
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
And here I thought it was the Bidens supposedly being paid by the Chinese!
But hey, at least Trump pays taxes in China.
Old 21st October 2020, 12:48 AM   #689
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
But hey, at least Trump pays taxes in China.
He probably cheats on those, too.
Old 21st October 2020, 01:25 AM   #690
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Not about his taxes, but his finances, Forbes is reporting that Trump's debts are larger than previously known, with nearly a billion coming due in the next 4 years
Old 21st October 2020, 06:14 AM   #691
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
But he's "under-levered".
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2020, 10:48 AM   #692
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Oh yay! An October surprise! Trump paid way more taxes to China than he paid to the US.

From the CNN link:
Quote:
Trump Organization lawyer Alan Garten, who refused to name the Chinese bank that holds the account, told the Times in a statement that the Trump Organization "opened an account with a Chinese bank having offices in the United States in order to pay the local taxes" tied with its push to do business in the country.
In order to pay taxes with his push to do business there? You mean like all that money Ivanka is making with her patented clothing line?

Or is this to pay taxes on all those vacation houses the Trumps were marketing to Chinese citizens as tickets to US citizenship?

But the large money transfers in 2017 remain the absolutely most surprising and between that and the 'paying more taxes to China than to the US' make for wonderful Oct surprises.
Old 21st October 2020, 10:59 AM   #693
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That NYT article is just full of surprises:
Quote:
Senate Republicans produced a report asserting, among other things, that Mr. Biden’s son Hunter “opened a bank account” with a Chinese businessman, part of what it said were his numerous connections to “foreign nationals and foreign governments across the globe.”

But Mr. Trump’s own business history is filled with overseas financial deals, and some have involved the Chinese state. He spent a decade unsuccessfully pursuing projects in China, operating an office there during his first run for president and forging a partnership with a major government-controlled company.

And it turns out that China is one of only three foreign nations — the others are Britain and Ireland — where Mr. Trump maintains a bank account, according to an analysis of the president’s tax records, which were obtained by The New York Times. The foreign accounts do not show up on Mr. Trump’s public financial disclosures, where he must list personal assets, because they are held under corporate names. The identities of the financial institutions are not clear.
I picture Hillary looking at this and thinking, 'Payback's a bitch', Bwahahahahahaha.
Old 27th October 2020, 01:24 AM   #694
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Most of the "charitable contributions" that Trump has boasted about were actually tax breaks he got for not developing land - after failed attempts to do so
Old 28th October 2020, 03:23 AM   #695
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Tax records show Trump had over $270 million in debt forgiven after failing to repay lenders.

Quote:
President Donald Trump has had more than $270 million in debt forgiven since 2010 after he failed to repay his lenders for a Chicago skyscraper development, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

An analysis of his tax records by the Times shows that after the Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago encountered financial problems, big banks and hedge funds cut Trump considerable slack, granting him years of additional time to repay his debts, much of which was ultimately forgiven.

And while the previously unreported forgiven debts would usually fuel a large tax bill, Trump appears to have managed to pay almost no federal income tax on them, the Times reported, partially because of the significant financial losses his other businesses were enduring.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/27/p...an/index.html?
Nothing to see here.

(I wonder what the quid pro quo could have been, as banks are not universally known for their forgiveness.)

Last edited by Firestone; 28th October 2020 at 03:28 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2020, 04:49 AM   #696
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Tax records show Trump had over $270 million in debt forgiven after failing to repay lenders.

Nothing to see here.

(I wonder what the quid pro quo could have been, as banks are not universally known for their forgiveness.)
As an actual successful billionaire put if "If you owe the bank $100 that's your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that's the bank's problem"
Old 28th October 2020, 05:24 AM   #697
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I recognized Trump’s incessant projection a year or two ago, but I didn’t realize how deep it went.
Even before the 2016 primaries, he was accusing others of having his faults with all his little nicknames:

Sanctimonious James C.
Leakin’ Diane
Shady James C.
Dummy Beto,
Lyin’ Ted
Cheatin’ Barack,
Wacky Jackie
Low-IQ Maxine
Slippery Hillary
Crazy Nancy

As well as Heartless, Crooked, Skank.

The only names that I found that I could not accurately apply back to Trump were those that make fun of people’s eyesight (Mr. Magoo, Mr. Peepers) or height (liddle’ [sic]). Oh, and Pocahontas.

Last edited by Ladewig; 28th October 2020 at 05:26 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2020, 03:56 PM   #698
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

The only names that I found that I could not accurately apply back to Trump were those .... Oh, and Pocahontas.
The Pocahontas name relates to Trump. He claims his NYC-born father was born in Germany.
Old 29th October 2020, 07:34 AM   #699
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The only names that I found that I could not accurately apply back to Trump were those that make fun of people’s eyesight (Mr. Magoo, Mr. Peepers) or height (liddle’ [sic]).
The way he squints at an autocue trying to form the words into something intelligible leads me to believe that he needs glasses but is too vain to wear them.

If Stephanie Clifford's accounts are to be believed, "liddle" is a term that could be applied to his "trouser mushroom"
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 10:30 AM   #700
GodMark2
Master Poster

The only names that I found that I could not accurately apply back to Trump were those that make fun of people’s eyesight (Mr. Magoo, Mr. Peepers) or height (liddle’ [sic]). Oh, and Pocahontas.
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The way he squints at an autocue trying to form the words into something intelligible leads me to believe that he needs glasses but is too vain to wear them.
The man, while under oath, told a judge that he couldn't read from the documents handed to him, because he forgot to bring his reading glasses. Forgot to bring his glasses necessary for reading, to a hearing on contracts: how convenient.
Old 29th October 2020, 11:23 AM   #701
Fonebone
persona non grata

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Aannnnddd ...
[message snipped]

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
Fonebone>

Google returns a number of posts on how to disable this annoying feature
in tapatalk . it appears the email sender has the option to disable the sig
or replacing that sig with an sig of your choosing

example from a poster named Aerest..........Aug 29, 2018#4
This signature only appears if people are using the app, so they have to edit the settings in the app.

Copying & pasting what I wrote our members:

Follow the little arrows at the upper left corner of your app's screen, until you left the board and are in your own menu. At the upper right, there's a person icon - click it.
Choose "settings".
Choose "signature".
Disable the signature, or at least remove the sentence about your phone.

Sorry for the Off Topic but .... Thanks sent from my string phone by tapatawk
All great truths begin as blasphemies __Shaw

Last edited by Fonebone; 29th October 2020 at 11:30 AM. Reason: format alterations for clarity
Fonebone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 06:51 PM   #702
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It's a fact. In his deposition, when he is asked to read a portion of some document, he puts glasses on. It didn't help with reading comprehension though.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics