IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 15th November 2020, 09:41 AM   #2521
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Promotion in the Empire is quick - because the top echelons keep getting force-choked.

there is a beautiful SW series called The Freemaker Adventures, which feature among others an Imperial Officer hell-bent on never getting promoted for exactly that reason.
Old 15th November 2020, 11:35 AM   #2522
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Two senior DHS officials have been forced to resign.

The assistant director for cybersecurity and the assistant secretary for international affairs
Looks like the head of cybersecurity is in a bad spot as well.

https://twitter.com/FrankFigliuzzi1/...31339485331456
Old 15th November 2020, 11:41 AM   #2523
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Two senior DHS officials have been forced to resign.

The assistant director for cybersecurity and the assistant secretary for international affairs
It doesn't matter much. If their positions were political appointed jobs, they would be gone in 45 days anyway.. Trump is livid that the AD for cybersecurity refuted his claims that the election was rigged.
Old 17th November 2020, 12:43 AM   #2524
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Promotion in the Empire is quick - because the top echelons keep getting force-choked.

there is a beautiful SW series called The Freemaker Adventures, which feature among others an Imperial Officer hell-bent on never getting promoted for exactly that reason.
To be fair, we only see Vader dispose of two officers in this way, and with at least one of them it is inferred they have failed Vader multiple times. Admiral Peitt survived a similar failure.

Now having said that it is clear that officers were aware of Vader's actions and punishments, so...

I'd also note that Thrawn had a slightly different technique, if someone failed him then it was the trainer of the person that paid the price. And far from canon, when I used to RP as what would now be considered an Imperial Intelligence DeathTrooper Commando, my character had a reputation for throwing people out of airlocks if they crossed them. So yeah, it was a thing, but not all of them got force choked.

Even the Emperor didn't just force choke those that disappointed him. check out the ways he executed Bevel Lemelisk. Yes, I did say "ways", he kept having him cloned and executed again, seven times!

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 06:59 AM   #2525
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
<snip>

Even the Emperor didn't just force choke those that disappointed him. check out the ways he executed Bevel Lemelisk. Yes, I did say "ways", he kept having him cloned and executed again, seven times!

A textbook case of overkill.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 09:06 AM   #2526
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
To be fair, we only see Vader dispose of two officers in this way, and with at least one of them it is inferred they have failed Vader multiple times. Admiral Peitt survived a similar failure.

Now having said that it is clear that officers were aware of Vader's actions and punishments, so...

There was a Robot Chicken sketch that revealed that Vader doesn't actually have the power to choke people. His underlings just pretend that he does so he doesn't shoot them or cut them in half. When he holds out his hand, they pretend to choke, collapse to the floor, and their coworkers drag them away. Later, they return to work wearing a fake beard or mustache.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 02:35 PM   #2527
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

There was a Robot Chicken sketch that revealed that Vader doesn't actually have the power to choke people. His underlings just pretend that he does so he doesn't shoot them or cut them in half. When he holds out his hand, they pretend to choke, collapse to the floor, and their coworkers drag them away. Later, they return to work wearing a fake beard or mustache.
That's brilliant.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 04:16 PM   #2528
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That's brilliant.
Found it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:32 PM   #2529
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Looks like the head of cybersecurity is in a bad spot as well.

https://twitter.com/FrankFigliuzzi1/...31339485331456
Aaaaaand he's gone

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...52352787484677
Old 17th November 2020, 05:41 PM   #2530
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

The way Rudi is spectacularly failing to succeed at spoiling the election, I'm betting he will not survive the Trump reign either.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:46 PM   #2531
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Shameless.

But we knew that.
Old 18th November 2020, 02:50 PM   #2532
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Found it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Thanks.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 03:21 PM   #2533
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The way Rudi is spectacularly failing to succeed at spoiling the election, I'm betting he will not survive the Trump reign either.
One former US Attonrey who worked with Rudy when Rudy was going after the Mob Bosses said he can't believe the smart lawyer who got the first serious convictiions in ages on previous untourchable Mafis Dons is now doing stuff that would get him a F grade in any decent Law School.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 10:19 PM   #2534
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
One former US Attonrey who worked with Rudy when Rudy was going after the Mob Bosses said he can't believe the smart lawyer who got the first serious convictiions in ages on previous untourchable Mafis Dons is now doing stuff that would get him a F grade in any decent Law School.
Everything Trump touches, dies.
Old 19th November 2020, 05:36 AM   #2535
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I've been thinking more about this in the waning days of Trump's reign, and what continues to amaze me (though it doesn't really surprise me) is the death star mentality we keep seeing. What could possibly possess a person at this stage to join Trump's toppling team?
Doesn't seem to stop people in totalitarian states. Did Stalin really have difficulty filling the openings he made?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2020, 08:06 AM   #2536
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Quote:
I've been thinking more about this in the waning days of Trump's reign, and what continues to amaze me (though it doesn't really surprise me) is the death star mentality we keep seeing. What could possibly possess a person at this stage to join Trump's toppling team?
Doesn't seem to stop people in totalitarian states. Did Stalin really have difficulty filling the openings he made?
A big difference is that nobody knew when Stalin would leave power. Someone promoted to a higher office could spend years with more power and a higher rank, and if they thought they could avoid any purges, might end up doing even better in the future.

Trump as a "best before" date. Despite some MAGAchuds thinking Trump might still win the election, most people with even a smidgeon of brains realize he's out of office in January. Even if you survive Trump's regular temper tantrums, getting promoted at this point will just give you a few extra months, after which you become just another Trump bootlicker (which doesn't look good on the resume for many people).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2020, 08:32 AM   #2537
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
A big difference is that nobody knew when Stalin would leave power. Someone promoted to a higher office could spend years with more power and a higher rank, and if they thought they could avoid any purges, might end up doing even better in the future.

Trump as a "best before" date. Despite some MAGAchuds thinking Trump might still win the election, most people with even a smidgeon of brains realize he's out of office in January. Even if you survive Trump's regular temper tantrums, getting promoted at this point will just give you a few extra months, after which you become just another Trump bootlicker (which doesn't look good on the resume for many people).
Trump knows he himself has a "Use by..." date for his Office. And he's going to do things to his full extent before that time is up. Bad things.
Old 19th November 2020, 09:38 AM   #2538
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Trump knows he himself has a "Use by..." date for his Office. And he's going to do things to his full extent before that time is up. Bad things.
Yep. (Link is to Politico via MSN)-

Quote:
While Trump still refuses to concede the election, the Senate GOP is moving quickly to ensure that the presidentís stamp sticks to the Federal Elections Commission, Federal Reserve Board, the federal judiciary and beyond.

The effort played out in dramatic fashion this week, as Senate Republicans tried to muscle Judy Shelton onto the Fed by the narrowest of margins but fell short amid senatorsí absences from the coronavirus. Theyíre also plotting a confirmation vote for Christopher Waller, Trumpís less controversial Fed pick.

The last-minute push to confirm Shelton, Waller and others is a key part of the Senate GOPís bid to wield power in the dwindling days of a Republican presidency ó even if most in the party still wonít acknowledge Bidenís victory.
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) is moving quickly to advance a new tranche of judicial nominees, including Thomas Kirsch to take a seat on the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals to replace Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett. Democrats are protesting the committee moving forward on new judicial nominees after Trumpís defeat, but Graham dismissed their concerns in an interview.
The GOP in 2016, when Obama had a SC nomination with almost a year left in his duly-elected presidency- "no, no, we should wait for the voice of the people to be heard before we advance any noms by a lame-duck president."

The GOP in 2020, when Trump pushes nominations with just two months remaining in his duly-rejected presidency- "****, we gotta hurry up, the voice of the people has been heard and our president is a lame duck!"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 01:18 AM   #2539
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Yep. (Link is to Politico via MSN)-

The GOP in 2016, when Obama had a SC nomination with almost a year left in his duly-elected presidency- "no, no, we should wait for the voice of the people to be heard before we advance any noms by a lame-duck president."

The GOP in 2020, when Trump pushes nominations with just two months remaining in his duly-rejected presidency- "****, we gotta hurry up, the voice of the people has been heard and our president is a lame duck!"
....and from 2021 until 2025 the excuse will be "we cannot consider any nominations from a President where the legitimacy of election itself is in doubt"
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2020, 09:08 AM   #2540
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post

Talking of lame ducks, has there been any serious proposal to reduce the time between the result of the election being known, and the new president taking over? I imagine the two months were originally needed in order to count the votes and get the representatives together in the age of horse and steam, but that's no longer the case.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2020, 09:18 AM   #2541
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Talking of lame ducks, has there been any serious proposal to reduce the time between the result of the election being known, and the new president taking over? I imagine the two months were originally needed in order to count the votes and get the representatives together in the age of horse and steam, but that's no longer the case.
When the Constitution was written, before steam, it was even later. I think it was March 4. It was sometime in March.

Today, with airplanes and teleconferencing, it really ought to be very fast, so I think an amendment is in order. The lame duck period is bad for the country, in my opinion. I'm puzzled why counting the votes and settling the related disputes take so much longer here than in other countries. I suppose it's related to the fact that we have fifty one ways of casting votes, and sometimes it isn't even uniform in a state.

ETA: But I haven't a call for such an amendment that would be taken seriously, i.e. either from a prominent politician or from major media outlets.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 21st November 2020 at 09:19 AM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2020, 09:37 AM   #2542
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

actually, the two months are barely enough to for a normal transition, because so many posts must change hands.
The only way to shorten the time would be to make far more positions permanent instead of politically appointed.
Old 21st November 2020, 11:34 AM   #2543
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

actually, the two months are barely enough to for a normal transition, because so many posts must change hands.

The only way to shorten the time would be to make far more positions permanent instead of politically appointed.
I think the March date was a carryover from the Julian calendar.
For transition, the election winner becomes President December one but the outgoing is President emeritus or some such, retaining a White House office for a while.
Old 21st November 2020, 05:14 PM   #2544
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
When the Constitution was written, before steam, it was even later. I think it was March 4. It was sometime in March.

Today, with airplanes and teleconferencing, it really ought to be very fast, so I think an amendment is in order. The lame duck period is bad for the country, in my opinion. I'm puzzled why counting the votes and settling the related disputes take so much longer here than in other countries. I suppose it's related to the fact that we have fifty one ways of casting votes, and sometimes it isn't even uniform in a state.

ETA: But I haven't a call for such an amendment that would be taken seriously, i.e. either from a prominent politician or from major media outlets.
As Meadmaker says, no, there have been no serious conversations about shortening that lame duck period. I can see TGZ's point here too, that the federal government is a big, complicated machine that a new set of drivers need time to get in gear properly; in normal circumstances (i.e., with a lame duck President who isn't throwing a hissy fit about being one), that wouldn't be an issue. But Trump's presidency seems, if nothing else, to be a lesson in how that machine can be broken by someone determined to make his successor's voter-sanctioned use of it a failure from the get-go. Maybe, instead of shortening the lame-duck period, some provisions could be made, via Constitutional amendment if necessary, that would limit an outgoing President's ability to kneecap the next guy- for example, no SC justices (even other federal judges) to be nominated during this period. And I've seen where Mnuchin has taken some action (Reuters article), re the Fed, that will impact the economy well into Biden's term, even if he reverses the action quickly- that might be another area that could be addressed by limitations on lame duck Presidential action.

Hell, you would think the GOP would be at least half on board for something like this, based on their mealy-mouthed antics in Obama's last year. And I predict that if a SC vacancy occurs during Biden's last year in office before an election (never mind after his possible defeat in it), they will revive their empty "let the people have a voice!" rhetoric. Their standards are like their rhetoric though, entirely situational and tactical- they would never support such limitations on lame ducks if he's one of theirs, so it's better to not be bound by them in any way stronger than easily-disavowed speechifying.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2020, 08:10 PM   #2545
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I do hope you win that bet.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 06:06 PM   #2546
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Sidney Powell didn't last long.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 06:19 PM   #2547
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Even more reason for Trump to not pay him.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 06:20 PM   #2548
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Wait what? (Googles)
Well that didn't take long. Apparently she's a Q-nut. Or maybe Rudi thought she made him look bad.
Hint for Rudi: It wasn't her that made you look stupid.
Old 22nd November 2020, 10:42 PM   #2549
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I wonder if she managed to piss away Flynn's chance at a Pardon with her failure to torpedo the vote count.
Old 30th November 2020, 10:05 PM   #2550
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Scott Atlas resigns.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 10:53 PM   #2551
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Scott Atlas resigns.
it's a bit late to leave the ship when it has already sunk.
Old 1st December 2020, 04:03 PM   #2552
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

it's a bit late to leave the ship when it has already sunk.
He was only a Temp hire, he had 131 days and that was ending this week.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 04:04 PM   #2553
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Odds on if Trump is going to fire Barr for saying that there was no election fraud?

Old 1st December 2020, 04:46 PM   #2554
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

There's always been a tendency for bad actors and criminals to reach a certain point and then "find god" or the like, thus getting away with a bunch of stuff. I somehow suspect that this is the latest Trump-staff gesture. See how long you can suck on the administration teat and then, at the last minute, get yourself honorably fired.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 06:07 PM   #2555
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
There's always been a tendency for bad actors and criminals to reach a certain point and then "find god" or the like, thus getting away with a bunch of stuff. I somehow suspect that this is the latest Trump-staff gesture. See how long you can suck on the administration teat and then, at the last minute, get yourself honorably fired.

I'm not sure about that last part.

Getting fired by Trump just means you didn't lie, cheat, steal, or kiss his ass well enough or often enough to keep him from getting pissed at you. It doesn't mean you didn't lie, cheat, steal, or kiss his ass.

Getting hired by him in the first place ought to forestall any ability to get honorably fired.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 07:09 PM   #2556
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I'm not sure about that last part.

Getting fired by Trump just means you didn't lie, cheat, steal, or kiss his ass well enough or often enough to keep him from getting pissed at you. It doesn't mean you didn't lie, cheat, steal, or kiss his ass.

Getting hired by him in the first place ought to forestall any ability to get honorably fired.
Of course, but the people involved don't necessarily think that way. The rats that jump off the ship of fools don't remember what they once were, only that they jumped. The last minute conversion wipes out a lifetime of sin.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 08:17 PM   #2557
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Barr broke with Trump over the charges of massive election fraud.You cannot take foot on the deck of the SS Trump White House withour stepping on rats fleeing the ship.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 08:20 PM   #2558
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Barr broke with Trump over the charges of massive election fraud.You cannot take foot on the deck of the SS Trump White House withour stepping on rats fleeing the ship.
Ray will get canned right after Barr. Barr announced it but it was the FBI that investigated.
Old 1st December 2020, 11:50 PM   #2559
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Generally, I would say that firing Barr and Wray would be stupid.

But for his fans, it might not be. It might give his voting fraud CT more life.
Old Today, 07:05 AM   #2560
Armitage72
Illuminator

Dr. Fauci has accepted an offer to retain his current position in President Biden's administration.
Dead man walking!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics