IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Parler

Old 31st December 2020, 12:05 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

What is Parler? / Parler gets owned

I'm seeing references to Parler but I don't know what it is. Seems like another new social media thing.
Old 31st December 2020, 12:09 PM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I'm seeing references to Parler but I don't know what it is. Seems like another new social media thing.
I gather it is an uncensored Facebook kind of thing. Kind of like the 4chan of social media. White supremacists took a fancy to it when FB gave them the boot. Parler means 'to talk' in French IIRC.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:14 PM   #3
Cavemonster
Philosopher

A new social media space in reaction to what some on the right view as censorship by Facebook and Twitter.

It's meant to be a place of greater freedom.

Voat was a similar "anything goes" space. In that case, the wild west lack of rules made it a haven for the more toxic side of things, which lost them any more mainstream users who wandered over and got turned off, leaving the remaining discussion to get even more toxic.

I expect Parler will either experience a similar effect or they'll exercise some restrictions or moderation while arguing about how theirs are different.

Over on Reddit, the conservative subreddits tend to be both incredibly vocal about the evils of social media moderation as a violation of free speech. They also tend to be the most moderated spaces. r/conservative has about half of their threads limited to confirmed conservatives.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:37 PM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I didn't think it was something I'm interested in. I don't even do Facebook, so no thanks for this one. I was just curious. Uncensored can be really ugly.
Old 31st December 2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Let’s Parler Franglais c’est un book par le remarkable author Anglais Monsieur Miles Kington. Il a ete aussi le player de bass pour le beat combo populaire Instant Sunshine.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 01:37 PM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Now you've done it...

Hope you brought your Piece of Eight!
Old 31st December 2020, 04:15 PM   #7
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
A new social media space in reaction to what some on the right view as censorship by Facebook and Twitter.

Voat was a similar "anything goes" space. In that case, the wild west lack of rules made it a haven for the more toxic side of things, which lost them any more mainstream users who wandered over and got turned off, leaving the remaining discussion to get even more toxic.

I expect Parler will either experience a similar effect or they'll exercise some restrictions or moderation while arguing about how theirs are different.

Over on Reddit, the conservative subreddits tend to be both incredibly vocal about the evils of social media moderation as a violation of free speech. They also tend to be the most moderated spaces. r/conservative has about half of their threads limited to confirmed conservatives.
You have the freedom to express any far right idiocy you like on Parler. The slightest hint of liberalism will get you banned right quick.
Old 31st December 2020, 08:21 PM   #8
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

From the Nashville Bombing thread, some comments from the Parler braintrust:

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Seen on Twitter:

I'm in awe of the towering intellect on display.

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 12:36 AM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post

Oh, not to mention the extraordinary level of literacy!

"blue up the building"
"a escape goat"
"domino machine"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 05:12 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That sure isn't any mainstream chatting.

Last edited by William Parcher; 1st January 2021 at 05:13 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 09:57 AM   #11
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oh, not to mention the extraordinary level of literacy!

"blue up the building"
"a escape goat"
"domino machine"
I keep my escape goat in the garage behind the freezer. Still no one has found it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 10:34 AM   #12
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I keep my escape goat in the garage behind the freezer. Still no one has found it.
The Escape GOAT, of course, is nothing other than The Amazing Randi.

(OK, maybe after Houdini...)
Old 5th January 2021, 10:41 AM   #13
ahhell
Illuminator

Its a conservative facebook, even other conservatives are making fun of it.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:54 PM   #14
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The Escape GOAT, of course, is nothing other than The Amazing Randi.

(OK, maybe after Houdini...)
It took me 3 reads to figure this out. I like it!

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:00 PM   #15
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
It took me 3 reads to figure this out. I like it!
Old 10th January 2021, 08:26 AM   #16
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This thread talks about why, given recent events, Parler is likely dead for good.
Old 10th January 2021, 08:40 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah - William probably should ask the mods to edit the title to “What was Parler?”
Old 10th January 2021, 09:07 AM   #18
Ron Obvious
Critical Thinker

"Escape Goat" I've heard a few times before, but what is a "Domino Machine"? I tried saying it out loud and didn't figure it out. Deux Ex Machina? What?
Old 10th January 2021, 10:21 AM   #19
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
"Escape Goat" I've heard a few times before, but what is a "Domino Machine"? I tried saying it out loud and didn't figure it out. Deux Ex Machina? What?
Dominion vote counting machines, the ones which stole the election.

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 10:24 AM   #20
Ron Obvious
Critical Thinker

Dominion vote counting machines, the ones which stole the election.
Ah, duh! Thanks!
Old 11th January 2021, 04:04 AM   #21
Wudang
BOFH

For a moment I thought they meant Lotus Domino servers.
Old 11th January 2021, 05:17 AM   #22
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied

Parler is a sloppily hacked together, joke of a social-media site which has so many security flaws, this just happened.

TL;DR, the entire Parler database, including deleted posts (which weren't actually deleted, just removed from public view), images and their metadata (locations, IP address of uploader etc), account information, and even verified account information has been downloaded and stored in various places online. How do you get a Parler verified account? You upload a copy of the front and back of your driver's license and link it to your account.

I won't link to the online copies of Parler's content, but I don't suppose that it's too difficult to find, should you be curious. There might be a bottleneck on downloading the data, as quite a few law enforcement agencies are probably downloading the information also. If you're wondering why the FBI were so quickly and easily able to populate the no-fly list and take into custody certain people, this is probably part of the reason why.

Congratulations to all involved.

Used to have another username, but I hated it.
cow_cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 05:29 AM   #23
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
For a moment I thought they meant Lotus Domino servers.
Thanks for bringing on my PTSD.
Old 11th January 2021, 08:26 AM   #24
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Parler gets owned

https://twitter.com/mattsheffield/st...73748450918402

Quote:
This Parler user explains it quite well here. Because of yet more security flaws at Parler, it's now possible for all that "free speech" to be shared and archived with the world, even if the posters tried to erase their not-at-all innocent videos and GPS data.

In slightly more technical terms, it seems as though Parler never closed some of their developer-friendly security holes (sort of the programming equivalent of game cheat codes made by devs) and as a result, their anyone with the right knowledge could have admin access.

Parler never actually deleted anything its users posted. And, stupidly, they also kept it accessible to admin users.

This meant that anyone with admin access could still download it.

Once Parler's two factor authentication feature was disabled, because it was designed for developer convenience rather than security, anyone with the knowledge could become an administrator. And that's how Parler just got owned.

People have been downloading the raw videos, photos, and text posts by the gigabyte and archiving it for later public distribution.

All that perfect, totally harmless free speech will still be searchable, even now that Amazon locked out Parler from its servers.

I haven't confirmed this yet but it's possible that among the not-actually-deleted data might be the archived photos of the state identification cards that Parler invited users who wanted to be verified to upload.
Look forward to massive Wikileaks-type data dumps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parler data.jpg (48.8 KB, 61 views)
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 08:29 AM   #25
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Truly taking the democratization of free speech seriously by letting anyone be an admin.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 08:31 AM   #26
Wudang
BOFH

Thanks cow_cat.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b1785343.html

Quote:
‘There is nothing you can do to prevent what’s already happened. All you can do is prepare for the fallout’ a message from the North Central Florida Patriots Telegram chat reads.
As the saying goes: oh look it's the consequences of your actions.

Estimates seem to differ between 70 and 80 TB of data.
Old 11th January 2021, 08:33 AM   #27
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post

I don't even think you can post on r/conservative until you give yourself flair showing off your political leanings. This makes it much easier for them to steer the narrative.
Old 11th January 2021, 08:36 AM   #28
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Assuming this is real, but if not it would also work as an amazing prank, if one wanted to troll those charming consequence-free speech advocates into abandoning parler.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 08:42 AM   #29
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Thanks cow_cat.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b1785343.html

As the saying goes: oh look it's the consequences of your actions.

Estimates seem to differ between 70 and 80 TB of data.
The people behind this "archiving" are the real heroes.

I am now rather glad I resisted my baser instincts to create a Parler account for the purposes of "trOllZing tEh maGaZ". Parler is now offline, and it looks like nobody is interested in hosting it or being involved in it anymore.

This is being discussed in a few places - here and here. I wonder if a merge is in order.

cow_cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 08:47 AM   #30
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Truly taking the democratization of free speech seriously by letting anyone be an admin.
In their defense, they were really terrible at programming, network security, and data encryption, but if it helps, they also lost their services so fast I don't think they had a chance.

From what I've read in a few spots, it sounds like their 2FA and email verification provider stopped providing them the service. This meant accounts could be created without any registration process at all. Someone used that to figure out how to create an account with admin privileges (I still haven't figured that one out) and then scripted it to make a ton of admin accounts, which have the perms to download everything. They also never actually deleted posts that were "deleted" through the app, they just changed the visibility bit to false. Meaning nothing was ever really deleted and people "verified" their accounts using their state issued ID's. It's just terrible all around.

The right move would have been to just shut it off once you realized your services vendors were dropping you. They didn't, now they'll pay the price.

Old 11th January 2021, 08:54 AM   #31
Wudang
BOFH

It's worth reading the twitter feed from https://twitter.com/donk_enby

Python script to create users at https://gist.github.com/d0nk/7251444...9cc69987070e21
Old 11th January 2021, 09:02 AM   #32
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

So when you say data dump, do you mean only users' posts and perhaps direct messages, or is it email addresses and other confidential user information?

Edit: looking through the twitter account now, apparently it's even location data.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 09:07 AM   #33
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
So when you say data dump, do you mean only users' posts and perhaps direct messages, or is it email addresses and other confidential user information?

Edit: looking through the twitter account now, apparently it's even location data.
I put this in another Parler-related thread earlier today, it's probably better off here.

Originally Posted by cow_cat View Post
Parler is a sloppily hacked together, joke of a social-media site which has so many security flaws, this just happened.

TL;DR, the entire Parler database, including deleted posts (which weren't actually deleted, just removed from public view), images and their metadata (locations, IP address of uploader etc), account information, and even verified account information has been downloaded and stored in various places online. How do you get a Parler verified account? You upload a copy of the front and back of your driver's license and link it to your account.

I won't link to the online copies of Parler's content, but I don't suppose that it's too difficult to find, should you be curious. There might be a bottleneck on downloading the data, as quite a few law enforcement agencies are probably downloading the information also. If you're wondering why the FBI were so quickly and easily able to populate the no-fly list and take into custody certain people, this is probably part of the reason why.

Congratulations to all involved.
So it appears that A LOT of user registration data are now out there, even down to the location, IP Address and maybe even MAC address associated with logins and pictures.

Oops...

Old 11th January 2021, 09:17 AM   #34
plague311
Great minds think...

So it appears that A LOT of user registration data are now out there, even down to the location, IP Address and maybe even MAC address associated with logins and pictures.

Oops...
The MAC addresses might be tough unless Parler had it as part of the phone registration if you use the app. Network gateways discard layer 2 data as it's only really useful on a local network as far as routing goes.

Old 11th January 2021, 09:23 AM   #35
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If I was a Conspiracy Nut, I might think that the FBI created Parler as a trap ...
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 09:24 AM   #36
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied

I was wondering that while I was typing. I thought I saw something on a tweet earlier today mentioning MAC address information. I couldn't locate my source (and even if I could - it's twitter), so that's why I surrounded it with a "maybe". See - conditional language that completely absolves me of any wrongdoing, perceived or implied!

Even so, jpeg pictures tied to jpeg EXIF data tied to accounts tied to the front and back of driving licenses. Oops...

Old 11th January 2021, 09:26 AM   #37
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
If I was a Conspiracy Nut, I might think that the FBI created Parler as a trap ...
I'm not sure if that would even be such an outlandish CT. Not that I believe it in this case, but haven't they already done this to catch sexual predators, particularly those sharing images and videos of children?
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 09:28 AM   #38
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

A "sloppily hacked together joke" seems to describe the entire alt-right and gravy SEAL movement at the moment.
Old 11th January 2021, 09:29 AM   #39
Wudang
BOFH

Nah, it's a corrolary to Hanlon's Law "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Old 11th January 2021, 09:32 AM   #40
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

If I were the FBI and Parler was my trap, I would have kept the doors open as long as possible. Certainly until after the inauguration and at least to for a good period of time after to try to catch more terrorist plans in the works.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics