IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation

Old 31st December 2020, 08:40 AM   #1081
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
An apology? Hell, he owes the forum his first born, the deed to his house, and his IRA.
After Biden becomes President, his IRA won't be worth anything. Trump said so during the campaign, so it must be true.
Old 31st December 2020, 08:43 AM   #1082
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
After Biden becomes President, his IRA won't be worth anything. Trump said so during the campaign, so it must be true.

Well, we can just follow the classic investing advice, Buy Democrat, Sell Republican!
Old 31st December 2020, 09:41 AM   #1083
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
And whaddya know, he was far worse than I imagined. Its hard not to be numbed at this point, but this has been a truly demented, surreal, four year nightmare, revealing Hilary's basket of deplorables as a significant understatement.
Same. My worst fear with Toddler Trump was that he would have a Cuban missile crisis-style scenario on his hands. A crisis which required a cool head and solid leadership. This crisis materialised itself with covid, and while I expected him to botch it horribly, I never in my wildest dreams would've thought in 2016 that he would deliberately mismanage it as badly as he did.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 10:38 AM   #1084
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He also said you wouldn’t hear anything about COVID-19 after the election. That must be true as well.

On an unrelated note, the Washington Post noted that nearly 4,000 Americans died yesterday of distemper or wheat rust or something.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 10:45 AM   #1085
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
He also said you wouldn’t hear anything about COVID-19 after the election. That must be true as well.

On an unrelated note, the Washington Post noted that nearly 4,000 Americans died yesterday of distemper or wheat rust or something.
That's been shifted to "you won't hear anything about Covid after Biden's been inaugurated" among the far-right twitterati.
Old 31st December 2020, 10:50 AM   #1086
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

If someone had told me four years ago Trump would lead to half a million unnecessary deaths I sure would have dismissed that as extremism/alarmist.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 10:54 AM   #1087
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

They died of a broken heart, because Trump lost.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 11:10 AM   #1088
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Funny enough, we didn't hear much about immigrant caravans after the midterms.

It's almost like Trump and the GOP project their own dishonest strategy.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 11:53 AM   #1089
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Mycroft, you frankly owe the forum an apology for that OP.
I don't regret trying to be positive and open minded back in 2016.

Remember the early days of his presidency when we were all talking about when he would stop being such a jackass and start acting presidential? Those dreams were nice before they were broken and dashed.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:24 PM   #1090
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

Remember the early days of his presidency when we were all talking about when he would stop being such a jackass and start acting presidential?
Umm... who is this "we" that you were referring to?

Trump claimed he would act presidential once elected, but I doubt that the majority of people here trusted or believed him. You might have been gullible enough to believe him, but very few other people on here were. (Maybe some among the MAGAchud, but given the fact that he still has a high approval ratings among republicans, I doubt that they expected that to happen either.)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:55 PM   #1091
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Trump claimed he would act presidential once elected, but I doubt that the majority of people here trusted or believed him.
Did he actually claim that? I don't actually recall it that way. I recall people assuming he'd change contrary to what he was saying.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:57 PM   #1092
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Just saw the title of this thread.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 01:05 PM   #1093
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Quote:
Trump claimed he would act presidential once elected, but I doubt that the majority of people here trusted or believed him.
Did he actually claim that? I don't actually recall it that way. I recall people assuming he'd change contrary to what he was saying.
"At some point, I am going to be so presidential that you people will be so bored."
- Donald Trump

See: The Guardian

We are Groot - Groot
Old 31st December 2020, 01:14 PM   #1094
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post

Or that 10% tax cut for the middle class Trump claimed was in the works around the same time; TBF, most Republicans were as much "huh? what?" as anyone else.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 01:25 PM   #1095
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

"At some point, I am going to be so presidential that you people will be so bored."
- Donald Trump

See: The Guardian
Not quite what I had in mind.
Old 31st December 2020, 02:13 PM   #1096
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Remember the early days of his presidency when we were all [some people were] talking about when he would stop being such a jackass and start acting presidential? Those dreams were nice before they were broken and dashed.
ftfy

What 'we'?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 02:20 PM   #1097
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Quote:
- Donald Trump
Not quite what I had in mind.
Why not?

I said (to paraphrase): "Trump claimed he would be more presidential if elected"
You asked: "Did he actually claim that".

I gave the exact quote... the words that Trump himself spoke during a campaign rally (i.e. in front of hundreds of MAGAchuds and on camera) where he said he would be "so presidential you will be bored". Pretty straight forward quote there. Not really sure how much clearer he could make it.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 31st December 2020, 02:24 PM   #1098
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Why not?

I said (to paraphrase): "Trump claimed he would be more presidential if elected"
You asked: "Did he actually claim that".
That might be what you had in mind but it wasn't what I had in mind. I recall people thinking he would become more presidential when elected, meaning when he won the election.
Old 31st December 2020, 02:32 PM   #1099
sackett
Philosopher

Let's agree that Mycroft was a lousy dirty stinky cheaty rat repluglican shill steeple with his head in the sand if not someplace worse, and that everybody here was impeccably wise, prescient, and all-knowing and saw the future down to the last detail, and that it is altogether fitting and proper for us to pelt Mycroft with soiled socks now and forevermore amen.

Oh, and Mycroft? Your dog's ugly.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 02:55 PM   #1100
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I was more than willing to give Trump a chance.

But right out of the gate he proved how nuts he is. Remember Trump went on and on how he won the popular vote too. He made all sorts of ridiculous claims about fraudulent votes in 2016. He even organized some committee to look into it. Then he lied about the inaugural crowd.

There were lulls to his insanity and incompetence, but this last year proved how nuts the man is.
Old 31st December 2020, 03:19 PM   #1101
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post

But it's even worse than that - they knew the pandemic was real. It literally wasn't something made up by the Dems, and yet, they acted like it was anyways. Like they never expected reality to prove them wrong. Somehow.

And yet, people still fell for it.

Let's face it, the rationalists have lost.
Old 31st December 2020, 04:50 PM   #1102
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Mycroft, you frankly owe the forum an apology for that OP.
Gotta admit, he was about what I expected in terms of complete inability to govern, rolling over for the ultra-rich, white nationalism, the wild-eyed ignorance and auto-fellating, and the like, but I didn't see "complete failure to attempt to control a pandemic". That was *chef's kiss* really elevated himself to one of the worst in US history. I mean, when you predecessor leaves you a team and a step by step booklet so you can get a reelect, not a broken neck, and you *still* **** it up just because you're so mad that he had a different skin color, you're actually going to have to convince me you aren't trying to lose by killing as many Americans as you possibly can. And if it weren't for his sociopathic narcissism, I simply wouldn't believe it at all.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 04:55 PM   #1103
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Remember the early days of his presidency when we were all talking about when he would stop being such a jackass and start acting presidential? Those dreams were nice before they were broken and dashed.
I checked my own responses in this thread. They've held up ok.

It seems, though, that my hopes of presidential behavior were dashed even before the inaugural. I have posts from December 2016 that were.....somewhat uncomplimentary in his personal style.
Old 31st December 2020, 05:22 PM   #1104
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

There was one issue he showed empathy on: Syrian children dying from a sarin gas attack. Trump had a token retaliatory action, a show of force against Russia, that I'm sure was designed to inflict minimal damage. Blew up some runways IIRC. But he was genuinely moved by the news photos from the attack.

I give Trump some credit for not starting any wars. So far.

He made noises recently about bringing troops home, did that happen?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 05:36 PM   #1105
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
There was one issue he showed empathy on: Syrian children dying from a sarin gas attack....
Hispanic children taken from their parents and dying in cages, not so much.
Old 31st December 2020, 09:36 PM   #1106
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There was one issue he showed empathy on: Syrian children dying from a sarin gas attack. Trump had a token retaliatory action, a show of force against Russia, that I'm sure was designed to inflict minimal damage. Blew up some runways IIRC. But he was genuinely moved by the news photos from the attack.

I give Trump some credit for not starting any wars. So far.

He made noises recently about bringing troops home, did that happen?
Not buying that. This is Trump we are talking about here. Sorry, I think you were conned.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 31st December 2020 at 09:43 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 12:07 AM   #1107
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not buying that. This is Trump we are talking about here. Sorry, I think you were conned.
Well it was the only time I even remotely saw a sign of compassion. Nothing like that before or since.

99 out 100 times I'll say any show of empathy is completely lacking. There's video but I don't want to track it dow now. 1 in 100 times, he could be sincere. I admit that's on the high side but I see a dash of humanity in on very rare occasions.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 12:24 AM   #1108
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well it was the only time I even remotely saw a sign of compassion. Nothing like that before or since.

99 out 100 times I'll say any show of empathy is completely lacking. There's video but I don't want to track it dow now. 1 in 100 times, he could be sincere. I admit that's on the high side but I see a dash of humanity in on very rare occasions.
Sorry, but that is a bit like Cutting Hitler slack because he loved dogs.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 05:36 AM   #1109
Garrison
Philosopher

The first couple of pages are just a mix of people hoping he won't be that bad and others explaining that claims Trumps a racist, self obsessed idiot are just left wing propaganda. Even those who thought he would be bad grossly underestimated the horror show to come. How long before its 400,000 dead from Covid?
Old 2nd January 2021, 06:14 AM   #1110
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
The first couple of pages are just a mix of people hoping he won't be that bad and others explaining that claims Trumps a racist, self obsessed idiot are just left wing propaganda. Even those who thought he would be bad grossly underestimated the horror show to come. How long before its 400,000 dead from Covid?

And how long before they’re all Biden’s fault?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 06:46 AM   #1111
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
And how long before they’re all Biden’s fault?
Thought they already were - Trump has decried Biden’s inability to control the pandemic more than once.

But officially I believe it’s slated for 21st January - 20th is already filled with “deficit & spending out of control”.
Old 2nd January 2021, 06:56 AM   #1112
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Thought they already were - Trump has decried Biden’s inability to control the pandemic more than once.

But officially I believe it’s slated for 21st January - 20th is already filled with “deficit & spending out of control”.

Just wait for it - "More people died of COVID on the first day of Biden's Presidency than died on any day of Trump's!"

Looking at the statistics, this is actually quite possible, and you know some GOP ******* is going to say it in complete seriousness.
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:42 AM   #1113
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
He's a moron. He's not a centrist. He's a moron. He's not a Democrat, or a Republican. He's a moron.

This isn't going to go well, and somehow being able to say "I told you so" when spoken on top of the ashes of my country doesn't give me comfort.
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Right.

I have never heard him called that other than by his political opponents.

Plus. SCOREBOARD
And since then, by Secretary of State Tillerson.

Still though, as skeptics who ostensibly are here to separate fact from fiction, we should strive to avoid hyperbolic language and stick to the facts. Even if it leads to drier commentary.

Trump isn't a moron and we shouldn't call him that. Clearly, he's an imbecile.
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:15 AM   #1114
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Whatever happened to presumption of innocence? Or does that get waived if you don't like someone?
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Yes, people can be so cruel!
I only posted once in this thread which included the attached image on the left below. This had to do with accusations that donald trump raped his first wife according to accusations made by that wife. That we shouldn't be writing as though it happened because trump was entitled to the benefit of the doubt. [Godwin]Might as well argue Hitler shouldn't be blamed for the Holocaust because he was never tried and found guilty of it by any accredited court, was he? Therefore Adolf is entitled to a presumption of innocence.

Quote:
  • Talk Show host: "When you go back, Hitler's Holocaust is..."
  • Guest: "Hitler's Holocaust? We don't know that."
  • Talk Show host: "What?"
  • Guest: "Well, isn't even Hitler entitled to a presumption of innocence? To my knowledge, he was never tried in any..."
  • Talk Show host: "Get off the set. You're done."
  • Guest: Excuse me?"
  • Talk Show host: "Turn his mike off!"
[/Godwin]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glenn Beck Crying.jpg (38.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Get OUT.jpg (56.9 KB, 8 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:53 AM   #1115
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Trump isn't a moron and we shouldn't call him that. Clearly, he's an imbecile.
You've convinced me.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:02 PM   #1116
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Let's agree that Mycroft was a lousy dirty stinky cheaty rat repluglican shill steeple with his head in the sand if not someplace worse, and that everybody here was impeccably wise, prescient, and all-knowing and saw the future down to the last detail, and that it is altogether fitting and proper for us to pelt Mycroft with soiled socks now and forevermore amen.

Oh, and Mycroft? Your dog's ugly.
My dog is NOT ugly!

Such a sweet girl!
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 01:25 AM   #1117
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not as cute as mine!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:26 AM   #1118
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

My dog is NOT ugly!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12710

Such a sweet girl!
This is what we need in these trying times. Dogs. Heck, pets in general. Cats and horses can be greatly therapeutic, too. Just looking at photos of them can calm me.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:30 AM   #1119
SteveAitch
Thinker

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
This is what we need in these trying times. Dogs. Heck, pets in general. Cats and horses can be greatly therapeutic, too. Just looking at photos of them can calm me.
Cats? Oh, I'm sure we can do something about that...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 07:50 AM   #1120
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Gotta love Bostons....!!!!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics