IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 4th January 2021, 07:35 AM   #3321
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
That thing lost all meaning when he gave it to Rush
“Everything Trump touches dies.”
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 08:30 AM   #3322
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
What they should do is create a brand new Medal/Honor (Presidential medal of being an awesome guy), but keep the old Medal of Freedom around.

Pass legislation officially re-naming it "The Freedum Metal".
Old 4th January 2021, 09:24 AM   #3323
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
That would certainly have an effect on its prestige.
Old 4th January 2021, 09:38 AM   #3324
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
23 more days, 23 more days, 23 more days.....
I shudder to think about what it would take to knock the Trump-Raffensperger tape off the headlines.
Old 4th January 2021, 09:48 AM   #3325
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I shudder to think about what it would take to knock the Trump-Raffensperger tape off the headlines.
You know it will get worse, right?

Trump has nothing to lose by trying more and more brazen tactics.

He knows that as ex-POTUS there is pretty high chance he will land in prison - in his age, lifetime one. What's one more crime among many other?
Old 4th January 2021, 09:57 AM   #3326
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Sadly I don't think Trump will ever see prison.

There is so much precedent and legal gray area with the Presidency because we never thought to clarify the legal and Constitutional procedures for "What happens if we elect a psychotic troll to office and surround him with a major party of toadying yes men" that while I agree that legal action against Trump will happen by noon on January 21st, the process will take so long Trump will die before we ever get a legal resolution on anything.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 10:07 AM   #3327
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

No idea who this gentleman is, but he has a point:
"If the worst consequence for trying to corruptly seize power after losing an election is that it doesn’t work, we’re essentially saying you should always try."

https://twitter.com/normative/status...28403912970240
Old 4th January 2021, 10:13 AM   #3328
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
"If the worst consequence for trying to corruptly seize power after losing an election is that it doesn’t work, we’re essentially saying you should always try."

My goodness, that is well put. If he was here, that should get him a Foolmewunz Lifetime Pith Achievement award.
Old 4th January 2021, 10:15 AM   #3329
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

There is so much precedent and legal gray area with the Presidency because we never thought to clarify the legal and Constitutional procedures for "What happens if we elect a psychotic troll to office and surround him with a major party of toadying yes men" that while I agree that legal action against Trump will happen by noon on January 21st, the process will take so long Trump will die before we ever get a legal resolution on anything.
If it lands even some of his spawn to jail as a side effect, it's still worth it. Especially if it bankrupts them.
Old 4th January 2021, 10:18 AM   #3330
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Video of Trump telling Pence to cut off a governor’s thumb?
Old 4th January 2021, 10:22 AM   #3331
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump’s daily schedule the WH released for tomorrow says “President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. He will make many calls and have many meetings.”
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 10:23 AM   #3332
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

Yes, very, very astute.

I've said this for a lot of things. For example, when schools do things that are overtly religious, and they get sued, ultimately the lawsuit consists of "don't do it anymore" and pay legal fees (which come out of school budgets or even insurance). I have been advocating that there needs to be more, in order to prevent others from doing it.

Heck, even worse is when the FFRF sends the school a letter and says, "You need to stop doing it or we are going to sue" and the school acquiesces. Great. And it means they got away with it until now. This could have been something that went on for years, but now that they stopped we are supposed to be ok?

If I've embezzled money from my business for years, and get caught, you think they will say, "Just don't do that any more" and be done with it? Heck, even if you reimburse them, that's not good enough. You will still go to jail.

"Stop doing the wrong thing" or even "Pay back what you stole" are not punishments for anything. Unless you come of worse than had you not done it, there is no reason not to try.
Old 4th January 2021, 10:26 AM   #3333
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump’s daily schedule the WH released for tomorrow says “President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. He will make many calls and have many meetings.”
So a day of sitting in front of the telly.
Old 4th January 2021, 10:32 AM   #3334
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
So a day of sitting in front of the telly.
I thought he was going down to Georgia (cue Charlie Daniels) to give a speech for the two republican senatorial candidates?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 10:38 AM   #3335
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

He may not go to jail for crimes committed while he was president. But, he may go to jail for crimes such as tax fraud, money laundering, etc.

Yes, those crimes can take a while to prosecute too, but it looks like significant work has already been done by various prosecutors. (Manhattan DA, SDNY)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 11:01 AM   #3336
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I thought he was going down to Georgia (cue Charlie Daniels) to give a speech for the two republican senatorial candidates?

According to a post in another thread, the speech is at 9 pm (likely so he can get maximum ratings on the East and West coasts at the same time).
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 11:49 AM   #3337
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
According to a post in another thread, the speech is at 9 pm (likely so he can get maximum ratings on the East and West coasts at the same time).

Or course, but I think every politican does that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 11:59 AM   #3338
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I’m doubtful he will see prison.

At this moment there is absolutely no evidence to support the claim of election fraud and ranking GOP figures have said Biden won. But there are tens of millions of Americans who insist Trump is right and everybody else is wrong.

As soon as the first indictment comes down, Trump will say, “I am being persecuted for my political beliefs” and tens of millions of Americans will insist that Trump is right and everyone else is wrong.

America is so ******.

ETA
And I just realized that if Congress and the IRS published his returns he’d just say, “those are not my tax returns,” and tens of millions of Americans would lap it up and wash it down with an extra serving of Kool-Aid.

Last edited by Ladewig; 4th January 2021 at 12:01 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 12:01 PM   #3339
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post

Or how about, "The Presidential Medal Of Freemium."
You have to pay extra to level up.
Old 4th January 2021, 12:03 PM   #3340
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He's rumored to be heading to Scotland on the 19th!
Old 4th January 2021, 12:28 PM   #3341
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Quote:
The problem is, he's supposed to be campaigning specifically for Georgia candidates, so if he were a competent politician he would pick a time which is most beneficial for people in the Eastern time zone.

An earlier start time (perhaps 8pm) would have allowed people to get home sooner (since it is during the work week).

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 12:37 PM   #3342
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He's rumored to be heading to Scotland on the 19th!
Interesting if True.

From what I understand, the outgoing president gets one last trip on Air Force one (well, the plane that the president normally flies on, which technically is only air force one when the president is on board). Normally it is used to fly the ex-president to his home city/state.

I wonder what will happen if Trump is out of the country at the time of Biden's inauguration, especially if his trip lasts more than a day or 2. Will they leave the plane there until he's ready to return? Will they fly it home without him? (I'd love to see him stranded in Scotland, having to fly home commercial. Or take a tramp steamer back to the U.S.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 4th January 2021, 12:37 PM   #3343
Armitage72
Philosopher

The problem is, he's supposed to be campaigning specifically for Georgia candidates ...

I wonder what the over/under is on how much of his time will be spent talking about himself and how he should have won/will win in the end, instead of talking about the two candidates.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 12:44 PM   #3344
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Interesting if True.

From what I understand, the outgoing president gets one last trip on Air Force one (well, the plane that the president normally flies on, which technically is only air force one when the president is on board). Normally it is used to fly the ex-president to his home city/state.

I wonder what will happen if Trump is out of the country at the time of Biden's inauguration, especially if his trip lasts more than a day or 2. Will they leave the plane there until he's ready to return? Will they fly it home without him? (I'd love to see him stranded in Scotland, having to fly home commercial. Or take a tramp steamer back to the U.S.)
Does he still have his Trump plane or was it repossessed?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 12:51 PM   #3345
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I was wondering what the hell was left for Trump to do in his last days of office, and then I read about his ordering a aircraft carrier to within striking range of iran…….

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 12:58 PM   #3346
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Quote:
From what I understand, the outgoing president gets one last trip on Air Force one...

I wonder what will happen if Trump is out of the country at the time of Biden's inauguration, especially if his trip lasts more than a day or 2.
Does he still have his Trump plane or was it repossessed?
The aircraft continued to be used by The Trump Organization for executive trips until 2019, when it was repositioned to Newburgh-Stewart International Airport, where it has been placed in long-term storage. The left Rolls Royce RB-211 engine has been removed.

The plane is supposed to be returned to service once Stubby McBonespurs is no longer president, but I don't know if it would be ready to fly by the end of the month.

(I don't know if the Trump Organization has other planes in their inventory that would be suitable.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 4th January 2021, 12:59 PM   #3347
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

The problem is, he's supposed to be campaigning specifically for Georgia candidates, so if he were a competent politician he would pick a time which is most beneficial for people in the Eastern time zone.

An earlier start time (perhaps 8pm) would have allowed people to get home sooner (since it is during the work week).
He is universally incompetent. If he was a "normal" lame duck president with the same Georgia situation, he'd be working his ass off for multiple days, probably making multiple appearances around the state. He wouldn't have anything else of significance going on.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 01:07 PM   #3348
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

TRump has ordered a Aircraft Carrier to within striking range of Iran.
That might be part of the answer to your question...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th January 2021, 01:10 PM   #3349
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I wonder what the over/under is on how much of his time will be spent talking about himself and how he should have won/will win in the end, instead of talking about the two candidates.
99.9% about him.
Old 4th January 2021, 01:13 PM   #3350
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

If he starts a war with Iran, will he have to give back his Nobel prize?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 4th January 2021, 01:20 PM   #3351
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Look on the bright side this gives all kinds of opportunities for those who argue that the military will not blindly strike at a foreign power just because the president says to do so.

The question is also will he limit himself to conventional weapons.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 01:24 PM   #3352
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Not exactly about Trump, but Trump-adjacent...

Jason Miller doesn’t like being called out for allegedly being a deadbeat dad. The longtime Trump adviser and chief campaign strategist tried to run interference for his boss on Sunday...CNN anchor Jake Tapper tweeted out, “The full call is here and while I have your attention pay your child support.”... Miller responded "You’re a fake news pussy, Jake. I’d like to see you say that to my face."
the Trump campaign was paying out Miller through a shell fund, in a possible bid to reduce his owed child support payments....

(Oh, and by the way, the child in question is from an extra-marital affair, born only a few months after Miller's wife had given birth.)

Just remember, the republican party is the party of "family Values" and personal responsibility.

I would almost have some sympathy for the mother (AJ Delgado), except she used to be a Trump campaign worker.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 4th January 2021, 01:30 PM   #3353
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Jason Miller doesn’t like being called out for allegedly being a deadbeat dad. The longtime Trump adviser and chief campaign strategist tried to run interference for his boss on Sunday...CNN anchor Jake Tapper tweeted out, “The full call is here and while I have your attention pay your child support.”... Miller responded "You’re a fake news pussy, Jake. I’d like to see you say that to my face."
the Trump campaign was paying out Miller through a shell fund, in a possible bid to reduce his owed child support payments....

(Oh, and by the way, the child in question is from an extra-marital affair, born only a few months after Miller's wife had given birth.)

Just remember, the republican party is the party of "family Values" and personal responsibility.

I would almost have some sympathy for the mother (AJ Delgado), except she used to be a Trump campaign worker.

Yeah, the GOP is the party of family values.

Corleone and Soprano Family Values.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th January 2021, 01:41 PM   #3354
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Miller is also the guy who spiked his (pregnant) girlfriend's smoothie with a drug to induce an abortion.
Old 4th January 2021, 01:43 PM   #3355
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Miller is also the guy who spiked his (pregnant) girlfriend's smoothie with a drug to induce an abortion.
Nothing wrong with that...

After all the GOP wants to make sure women can't decide to have an abortion. It has no problem if the man decides the woman should have an abortion.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 4th January 2021, 01:54 PM   #3356
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

That's actually the strategy I used when posting an auction close time on eBay. I wanted people on both coasts to be able to get in the bidding war that inevitably happens at the very end!
Old 4th January 2021, 02:50 PM   #3357
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Deleted by user

Last edited by Ladewig; 4th January 2021 at 02:51 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 02:53 PM   #3358
Elvis666
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Sounds like a paragraph from a third grade reader.
Old 4th January 2021, 03:17 PM   #3359
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Those 2 candidates are not supporting his coup attempt in the Senate. He doesn't really have a good reason to mention them at all.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 03:24 PM   #3360
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The aircraft continued to be used by The Trump Organization for executive trips until 2019, when it was repositioned to Newburgh-Stewart International Airport, where it has been placed in long-term storage. The left Rolls Royce RB-211 engine has been removed.
No problem losing an engine, it still worked fine when they removed the last one.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics