IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 4th January 2021, 03:35 PM   #3361
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elvis666 View Post
Sounds like a paragraph from a third grade reader.
"He'll also watch a lot of old Match Game reruns and take a nap. He is a big fan of Charles Nelson Reilly."
Old 4th January 2021, 03:38 PM   #3362
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
He knows that as ex-POTUS there is pretty high chance he will land in prison - in his age, lifetime one. What's one more crime among many other?
I'm not sure which wins out in his brain: reality he may face criminal charges or his denial that such a thing is possible.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 03:43 PM   #3363
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Kevin Sorbo tweets

@ksorbs
According to the media and radical left, Trump is a very mean bad man.
So why is he the only politician who donated his salary during the covid shutdown?

It’s genuinely sad to see that Trump, one of the few politicians that genuinely cares about us, supposedly lose an election because half the nation believed their TV sets
Yeah. I believed my TV set when it showed Trump babbling like complete moron during those pandemic briefings, ans suggesting that using disinfectants internally would be a good way to cure Covid-19. There is nobody better at making Donald Trump look like a complete idiot than Donald Trump.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 04:11 PM   #3364
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Pass legislation officially re-naming it "The Freedum Metal".
Freedumb
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 04:14 PM   #3365
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
He may not go to jail for crimes committed while he was president. But, he may go to jail for crimes such as tax fraud, money laundering, etc.

Yes, those crimes can take a while to prosecute too, but it looks like significant work has already been done by various prosecutors. (Manhattan DA, SDNY)
Sadly, he may be convicted but I highly doubt he'll ever see a day in jail.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 06:10 PM   #3366
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Trump’s daily schedule the WH released for tomorrow says “President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. He will make many calls and have many meetings.”
I am Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire businessman. I make many calls and have many meetings.
Old 4th January 2021, 06:13 PM   #3367
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He's rumored to be heading to Scotland on the 19th!
Hoot man, my condolences.
Old 4th January 2021, 06:30 PM   #3368
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Me either. USA is not going to jail any of their sequential royalty, but I would love to see him spending his golden years in consecutive court battles.
Old 4th January 2021, 06:52 PM   #3369
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He's rumored to be heading to Scotland on the 19th!
Scotland is in Covid lockdown. Let him land and be taken into quarantine lockdown. It's probably the closest he'll get to being locked up.
Old 4th January 2021, 07:04 PM   #3370
eerok
Quixoticist

Scotland is in Covid lockdown. Let him land and be taken into quarantine lockdown. It's probably the closest he'll get to being locked up.
One of my Scottish ancestors was beheaded. What happened to the old traditions?
Old 4th January 2021, 07:14 PM   #3371
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
One of my Scottish ancestors was beheaded. What happened to the old traditions?

he was a Jacobite, I presume?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 07:15 PM   #3372
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

not sure if it fints, but one of Trump's biggest supporters,the head of The Proud Boys, busted in DC on Weapons charges and for burning that BLM flag he stole from a church. So we are off an running.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 07:17 PM   #3373
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
not sure if it fints, but one of Trump's biggest supporters,the head of The Proud Boys, busted in DC on Weapons charges and for burning that BLM flag he stole from a church. So we are off an running.
I'm shocked.
Old 4th January 2021, 07:32 PM   #3374
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
he was a Jacobite, I presume?
The last man to be beheaded in the Tower of London. 11th Lord Lovat.
Old 4th January 2021, 07:33 PM   #3375
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
The last man to be beheaded in the Tower of London. 11th Lord Lovat.
Yup, a Jacobite.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th January 2021, 07:35 PM   #3376
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I'm shocked.
It's gets better. The idiot bragged to a reporter about burning the flag, and the DC police had a warrant all ready for him the minute he crossed into DC. The weapons charge was a nice bonus after the cops saw the magazines in his car. Not exactly dealing with a criminal mastermind here.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th January 2021, 07:50 PM   #3377
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Freedumb

Nope, the misspellings are part of the charm!
Old 4th January 2021, 09:41 PM   #3378
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Nothing wrong with that...

After all the GOP wants to make sure women can't decide to have an abortion. It has no problem if the man decides the woman should have an abortion.
Addendum: When the woman desiring an abortion also claims to be a pro-life Republican, they tend to claim that they're an exception because they have legitimate cause, not like all those s-words that they think absolutely should be prevented from having an abortion.
Old 4th January 2021, 10:17 PM   #3379
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I was wrong about The PDJT not going to tonight's rally out of spite. He can't resist any TV exposure at all. I didn't see any of it, though, but I'm sure I'll get filled in on all the salient parts.
Old 5th January 2021, 12:10 AM   #3380
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Sadly I don't think Trump will ever see prison.
I am of the same opinion but not because the justice system will take too long to act. Rather, I suspect that the Powers-That-Be in Washington will not want to see the USA fall yet further down by jailing an ex-president. In fact, I would expect Biden to commute his sentence if it does look like he's heading to the slammer.

I'm divided on the issue. A large part of me wants him to suffer in jail for the rest of his life. Body cavity searches every hour on the hour kind of suffer. But I don't like vindictiveness, especially by me.

I think the ideal would be sentencing him to jail for life then have Biden offer him a commutation conditioned that he has no more rallies, is off twitter and all other social media, gives no more press interviews and stays out of politics entirely. IOW, take his voice away. That would be the hardest for him to take
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 12:14 AM   #3381
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I am of the same opinion but not because the justice system will take too long to act. Rather, I suspect that the Powers-That-Be in Washington will not want to see the USA fall yet further down by jailing an ex-president. In fact, I would expect Biden to commute his sentence if it does look like he's heading to the slammer.

I'm divided on the issue. A large part of me wants him to suffer in jail for the rest of his life. Body cavity searches every hour on the hour kind of suffer. But I don't like vindictiveness, especially by me.

I think the ideal would be sentencing him to jail for life then have Biden offer him a commutation conditioned that he has no more rallies, is off twitter and all other social media, gives no more press interviews and stays out of politics entirely. IOW, take his voice away. That would be the hardest for him to take
But that's the problem isn't it? That is making a deal with Trump. That means he really doesn't suffer consequences; he will ignore his own deal.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 12:23 AM   #3382
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Those 2 candidates are not supporting his coup attempt in the Senate. He doesn't really have a good reason to mention them at all.
Fluffer, or whatever her name is, says she will support the coup.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 05:54 AM   #3383
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

All of that pertains to any Federal crimes committed up to the date of pardon or commutation.

It’s various state charges that will keep him busy after the 20th*. Or future crimes - for instance perjury or contempt of court. Trump has a clear history of simply not doing things he’s supposed to do: pay contractors, pay his debts, honor marriage vows, appear before Mueller, permit underlings to comply with congressional subpoenas, and so on. Or doing things he’s not supposed to do, such as threaten foreign Presidents to do his domestic bidding, or coercing Secretaries of State to “find votes”. I have to admit that, to date, it’s worked. Regardless of all the “but he can’t do that” turmoil, he’s always found a way to afford gold toilets to poop in and personal jets to fly around in, and to finagle himself into the White House. Amazing!

But after the 20th, it remains to be seen how well those tactics will work. I can see him deciding not to respond to subpoenas or mandatory court appearances. But judges generally do not respond well to such shenanigans, issuing warrants that generally can’t be ignored.

But he personifies the “unsinkable rubber ducky”. It should be interesting to see what happens, regardless.

* Unless he takes a final ride in Air Force One to a country without an extradition treaty with the US, to become “President-in-Exile”. It almost seems like a fitting final chapter to the whole bizarre mess of a Presidency.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 5th January 2021 at 05:59 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 05:55 AM   #3384
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elvis666 View Post
Sounds like a paragraph from a third grade reader.
I read it as someone not wanting to bother with some kind of disclosure or coordination protocol and filling in the bare minimum.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 05:57 AM   #3385
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Fluffer, or whatever her name is, says she will support the coup.
No need to dip into that well. Come on.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 07:02 AM   #3386
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Or prison could be the making of him and he is rehabilitated.

Slightly more serious - do the crime, do the time seems to me to be a fair approach. Why should he be treated like a special case?
Old 5th January 2021, 07:10 AM   #3387
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Only a few more stress point days to get through.

Today, the Georgia runoff election which determines control of the Senate.

Tomorrow, the count of the Electoral votes. I don't see any conclusion other than the expected one, but watching the contesting of it will be cringeworthy.

And, the 20th, the Inauguration. Where I will breathe a huge sigh of relief.
Old 5th January 2021, 07:19 AM   #3388
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

The latest Opening Arguments podcast is doing a deep dive on what to expect on the 6th, regarding the Electoral College procedure in the House, and historical precedents.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 08:17 AM   #3389
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donald Trump will not be allowed to visit Scotland to play golf during Joe Biden's inauguration, Nicola Sturgeon has said.

The US president, who was overwhelmingly defeated in November's election, is reportedly considering travelling to his Turnberry golf resort to avoid Mr Biden being sworn into office.

But Scotland's first minister stressed it is illegal to travel in or out of the country without a valid reason and said: "Coming to play golf is not what I would consider to be an essential purpose."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1782602.html
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 08:32 AM   #3390
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Donald Trump will not be allowed to visit Scotland to play golf during Joe Biden's inauguration, Nicola Sturgeon has said.

The US president, who was overwhelmingly defeated in November's election, is reportedly considering travelling to his Turnberry golf resort to avoid Mr Biden being sworn into office.

But Scotland's first minister stressed it is illegal to travel in or out of the country without a valid reason and said: "Coming to play golf is not what I would consider to be an essential purpose."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1782602.html
This news just goes to prove that Scotland was in on the conspiracy to steal the election from Trump!

By the way, I am being sarcastic.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 08:34 AM   #3391
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My God how can the people of Scotland be so Unamerican?

(Sarcasm hopefully equally obvious)
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 08:34 AM   #3392
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, first Trump gets shot down when he tries to get Georgia to flip election results, then he can't fly to Scotland to play golf.

Hope Trump gets used to being told "No" for the rest of his life.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 08:42 AM   #3393
Woolgatherer
Graduate Poster

Hope Trump gets used to being told "No" for the rest of his life.
By his own kids.
Woolgatherer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 08:54 AM   #3394
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
This news just goes to prove that Scotland was in on the conspiracy to steal the election from Trump!

By the way, I am being sarcastic.
Oh I thought you were being presidential!
Old 5th January 2021, 09:23 AM   #3395
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Someone is going to have to connect these dots for me.

How does Trump playing golf in Scotland prevent Biden from being sworn into office?
Old 5th January 2021, 09:25 AM   #3396
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

How does Trump playing golf in Scotland prevent Biden from being sworn into office?
If he doesn't see it, it's not happening.
Old 5th January 2021, 09:32 AM   #3397
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

It shows how confident he is that he actually won...

"Its so obvious I won the election that I don't even have to stick around to deal with the usurper Biden".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 09:32 AM   #3398
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
If he doesn't see it, it's not happening.
Maybe President Trump thinks it's like a relay race - if he doesn't hand over the baton in person then he gets to stay President.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 10:22 AM   #3399
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Sympathetic magic. The President gets to fly on Air Force One. If AF1 is in Scotland with Trump, Biden can't fly on it, and therefore cannot be President.
Old 5th January 2021, 10:23 AM   #3400
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Given the percentage of the population who are members of the Trump cult, there would be a low probability of selecting a jury that is cultist-free, so I think that the odds of Trump being convicted of anything is small, regardless of how much evidence there is.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics