IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Biden appointees , joe biden , Merrick Garland

Old 7th January 2021, 04:01 PM   #1
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Biden taps Merrik Garlnad as AG nominee

Poetic justice, says I.
Old 7th January 2021, 04:49 PM   #2
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I referred to Merrick Garland's selection as the greatest troll ever.

Not sure who this bloke Garlnad is. Any relation to Gnadalf?
Old 7th January 2021, 04:57 PM   #3
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I referred to Merrick Garland's selection as the greatest troll ever.

Not sure who this bloke Garlnad is. Any relation to Gnadalf?
I think he's just pointing out the set of testicles (i.e. the goNADS in case my joke isn't clear) on Biden and Garland.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 05:03 PM   #4
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, correct name is Merrick Garland. I looked up what he looked like yesterday since I always have an image of Merritt Butrick in my mind when I hear Garland's full name. Had no idea he had been dead for 30+ years.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:14 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty sure that bringing the ringleaders of yesterday's insurrection to justice will be one of his first objectives.
Luckily the idiots in many cases are going make it easy....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:44 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

So, (rule of), you guys think Mitch the Turtle will allow any of Biden's nominees to be confirmed?
Yeah, I know, GA Dems elected and all that.
It'll be 2022 before they get through all the legal and illegal challenges and actually get seated.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:52 PM   #7
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It'll be 2022 before they get through all the legal and illegal challenges and actually get seated.
They'll be seated this month.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:05 PM   #8
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

So, (rule of), you guys think Mitch the Turtle will allow any of Biden's nominees to be confirmed?
You really are a half empty kind of guy.

I'll bet you AVATARS Treb that both Warnock and Ossoff will be seated by the end of this month.
Old 7th January 2021, 07:08 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now you are being silly.
Mitch just lost most of his power.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:23 PM   #10
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Yeah, I suppose.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You really are a half empty kind of guy.

I'll bet you AVATARS Treb that both Warnock and Ossoff will be seated by the end of this month.
Oh, I'm way emptier than that. I'm 72 years old and have never felt so hopeless about the future of the USA. Biden notwithstanding.

If you're right, and I sincerely hope you are, I'll become a spoonapult. That's the greatest abomination I can think of right now. You can just remain as Tesla.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Now you are being silly.
Hope so, don't know.

ETA: Hell, if I'm wrong, I'll even convert my onager into a spoonapult and use it at next year's Pumpkin Pitch. If it happens. And I'm about as negative about that.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 7th January 2021 at 07:26 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:24 PM   #11
Ron Obvious
Critical Thinker

Uninspiring bland choice, presumably made for symbolic reasons.

Not impressed.
Old 7th January 2021, 07:51 PM   #12
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

What I would love to see happen is for one of the conservative SC Justice seats to become vacant and for Biden to nominate Garland for the seat and be confirmed by the Dem controlled Senate. Biden can always find a new Attorney General. Take THAT McConnell and the rest of you hypocritical Republicans.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:01 PM   #13
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
What I would love to see happen is for one of the conservative SC Justice seats to become vacant and for Biden to nominate Garland for the seat and be confirmed by the Dem controlled Senate. Biden can always find a new Attorney General. Take THAT McConnell and the rest of you hypocritical Republicans.
Nah....

Garland would have been a good judge (don't get me wrong about that... the court needs more swing judges). But Obama picked him because he thought it would be easier to get him confirmed.

If Biden is going to pick anyone, pick someone 1) Much Younger and 2) Much more left-wing.

Perhaps some day the Republicans will be less douchey and the Democrats can pick moderate judges. But as long as the supreme court has Drunky McRapeface and the Stepford Wife on it, the Democrats should be providing balance by picking judges in the Ginsburg mold. (The young Ginsburg... not the one that was at death's door for years.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 01:35 AM   #14
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Now you are being silly.
Tell that to the State Senator in PA who was denied his seat by the State Senate despite the court certifying his election.

There is no depth that the GOP won't sink to in order to retain power. None. They have proven that conclusively.

ETA: Garlnad is a typo. I was, of course, referring to Garland.
Old 8th January 2021, 01:47 AM   #15
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Garland will have no choice but to prosecute the Punschists, unless Trump gives them a sweeping Pardon.
The safety of anyone in the Biden Administration depends on putting a lid on this anti-democratic violence.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 11:05 AM   #16
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...7-5b8e5343092c

And in other news, Harris leaves her seat on Monday.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics