IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th January 2021, 09:57 AM   #401
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Watching the legal quagmire of figuring out how exactly to imprison a former President would be hilarious.

We all get they aren't just going to throw Trump in gen-pop or having him picking up cans by the side of the road, as cathartic as that imagery would be.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 10:00 AM   #402
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Andrew Torrez of the Opening Arguments Podcast made a slam-dunk argument that Trump broke Georgia Election Law with his phone call.
If Kemp doesn't pardon Trump, a prosecutor would get to have Trump send to jail for no less than one year.
I guess the question is... would the prosecutors bother.

Despite the recent Democratic success, Georgia still has a large republican influence, and the Georgia Attorney General is a republican. I can see him declining to prosecute Trump for partisan reasons.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 10:03 AM   #403
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah if we're gonna play cynical, political MoneyBall do it in California or New York, a state you know you are going to keep. Don't do it in a swing state.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 10:03 AM   #404
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Quote:
The Secret Service in protecting a former President (or anyone else) acts "Under the direction of the Secretary of Homeland Security" (18 USC 3056(a)). If there is any question, they do what the Secretary of Homeland Security says. And, if it was even questioned, the Secretary will order the Secret Service to allow a lawful arrest.
And who decides when their isn't one of those. There isn't one "now", right? "now" in quotes because I don't know the details of when his resignation is effective.
I think there's always one. Even if the current secretary resigns, some underling becomes "acting" (or at least ends up with their current authority.)

Of course, it is pretty irrelevant... even if things are fast-tracked, Trump wouldn't be charged until after he is out of office, giving more than enough time for Biden to get a new Sec. of Homeland Security approved.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 10:13 AM   #405
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Watching the legal quagmire of figuring out how exactly to imprison a former President would be hilarious.

We all get they aren't just going to throw Trump in gen-pop or having him picking up cans by the side of the road, as cathartic as that imagery would be.
The thing I always think about when I imagine Trump going to prison is what would happen with his hair. Would he still have access to the physics-defying mechanisms and witchcraft that keep whatever that thing on his head is supposed to be in place?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:12 AM   #406
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump should absolutely keep is Secret Service Detail, but with one slight modification.

Any citizens can go up to Trump, and the Agents will hold his arms while you get to kick him in the balls ... once.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:22 AM   #407
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He might well have addeed more charges of Incitement to Riot with his speech today.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:36 AM   #408
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
And who decides when their isn't one of those. There isn't one "now", right? "now" in quotes because I don't know the details of when his resignation is effective.
Here's the name of his replacement:

"In the middle of a national security crisis, Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Pete Gaynor -- whose extensive experience in emergency management has been cited as a benefit -- assumes the role of acting secretary."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/polit...hip/index.html
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:40 AM   #409
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He might well have addeed more charges of Incitement to Riot with his speech today.
But . . . but what if we lose?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:04 PM   #410
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump should absolutely keep is Secret Service Detail, but with one slight modification.

Any citizens can go up to Trump, and the Agents will hold his arms while you get to kick him in the balls ... once.
Assumes facts not in evidence.

As for imprisonment, I'm guessing it would wind up as some sort of house arrest. Let him stay at Mar a Lago in a designated suite. No golf outings. No rallies. Let him pay for the security costs.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:24 PM   #411
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
But . . . but what if we lose?
Let him get away with it or... else!!!
Old 13th January 2021, 04:20 AM   #412
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Assumes facts not in evidence.

As for imprisonment, I'm guessing it would wind up as some sort of house arrest. Let him stay at Mar a Lago in a designated suite. No golf outings. No rallies. Let him pay for the security costs.
I've seen it suggested that he would go in one of those wings where people who are old, frail, and/or disabled are kept because they are at risk from the rest of the population. Either that or solitary.
Old 13th January 2021, 05:06 AM   #413
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

One of the smaller islands in the Rat archipelago of the Aleutians seems more appropriate. No bars, all to himself, all the seagulls he can eat.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:31 AM   #414
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
One of the smaller islands in the Rat archipelago of the Aleutians seems more appropriate. No bars, all to himself, all the seagulls he can eat.
Plus, it's close to Russia.
Old 15th January 2021, 11:29 AM   #415
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The case for the misuse of funds has been expanded: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1787727.html

...... Washington DC attorney general Karl Racine said Mr Trump Jr had been notified of the request, which was sent after new evidence emerged in court filings earlier this week......
Old 15th January 2021, 12:36 PM   #416
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The case for the misuse of funds has been expanded: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1787727.html

...... Washington DC attorney general Karl Racine said Mr Trump Jr had been notified of the request, which was sent after new evidence emerged in court filings earlier this week......
Note: The 'misuse of funds' was referring to the inauguration funds back in 2016/2017.

Basically they were holding events at Trump hotels, and charging higher-than-market rates. (Which would be a way to move political donations for the inauguration into Trump's pocket.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th January 2021, 07:40 PM   #417
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I've seen it suggested that he would go in one of those wings where people who are old, frail, and/or disabled are kept because they are at risk from the rest of the population. Either that or solitary.
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Old 15th January 2021, 07:57 PM   #418
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

4 days, 17 hours more for Trump to produce those pardons.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 08:05 PM   #419
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
4 days, 17 hours more for Trump to produce those pardons.
Less than 1/2 scaramuchi.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Old 16th January 2021, 07:39 AM   #420
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

IMO there won't be any pardons, at least not for suckers that stormed Capitol.
Old 16th January 2021, 10:56 AM   #421
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Less than 1/2 scaramuchi.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
Counting whole days, it's .363636363636... scaramuchis.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 06:40 PM   #422
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Handy list here of potential charges against Trump, just from NY: https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americ...-leaves-office
Old 17th January 2021, 06:50 PM   #423
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Handy list here of potential charges against Trump, just from NY: https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americ...-leaves-office
We need to get an office pool going on when the first civil suit will be filed. Who's got January 20, 2021, 12:01 PM?
Old 17th January 2021, 06:55 PM   #424
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
We need to get an office pool going on when the first civil suit will be filed. Who's got January 20, 2021, 12:01 PM?
You have to mean the next. There is at least one active civil suit right now. The one that Barr tried to step in on.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 01:34 AM   #425
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The case for prosecuting Trump:
Quote:
A chief reason states prosecute their most powerful public officials is that prosecutions help deter future lawbreaking. Insofar as the law is applied consistently—without regard for the profile of the person in question—prosecutions send clear signals. Beliefs about the probability of punishment operate forcefully on people’s decisions.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...branch/617647/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 02:11 AM   #426
dirtywick
Illuminator

shouldn’t have to explain that to the guys that brought federal executions back, since it’s their only argument for them.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 10:33 AM   #427
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Let the litigation begin.
Old 20th January 2021, 11:20 AM   #428
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
This is the moment I bought all that popcorn for.
Old 20th January 2021, 11:54 AM   #429
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
This is the moment I bought all that popcorn for.
And me.

Go after the whole crime family.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:34 PM   #430
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
I don't want to be hearing about that just yet. Just let us have a day or two where he's not dominating the news.

Then throw the book at him.
Old 20th January 2021, 02:34 PM   #431
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Perfect. An update on Idiocracy’s “OW MY BALLS”.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 07:53 PM   #432
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:46 PM   #433
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I would not be surprised if the private lawsuits and litagation from people to whom Trump owes money proves to more damaging to him then the criminal charges.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 11:26 AM   #434
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Not exactly 'crimes' by Trump, but part of the 'emoluments' clause of the constitution...

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday brought an end to lawsuits over whether Donald Trump illegally profited off his presidency. The justices threw out Trump's challenge to lower court rulings that had allowed lawsuits to go forward alleging that he violated the Constitution's emoluments clause by accepting payments from foreign and domestic officials who stay at the Trump International Hotel and patronize other businesses owned by the former president and his family.

No comments were given by the supreme court, and it looks like there were no dissenters. (Probably just a case where it is no longer relevant once Trump left office.)

A shame that Trump was able to run out the clock like that before the case was properly decided.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 25th January 2021, 12:12 PM   #435
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

People will take note that the Supreme Court has no problem with a for-profit Presidency.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 12:32 PM   #436
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

People will take note that the Supreme Court has no problem with a for-profit Presidency.
Or maybe a narrow technical issue?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th January 2021, 01:15 PM   #437
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yes a what is now normal is a Republican for profit presidency. A democrat would of course get stamped down real fast.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 01:18 PM   #438
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Supreme court ending emoluments lawsuits against Trump...
Quote:
That is likely the case. Given the fact that there were no dissenters, it appears that even the left-leaning judges on the court agreed with ending the lawsuits. (If it were split along ideological lines, like 5-4 or 6-3 then it would be more suspicious)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 25th January 2021, 01:27 PM   #439
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
That is likely the case. Given the fact that there were no dissenters, it appears that even the left-leaning judges on the court agreed with ending the lawsuits. (If it were split along ideological lines, like 5-4 or 6-3 then it would be more suspicious)
The courts don't want to make a ruling and say if it was constitutional or not. They really are lazy at a fundamental level and will look for any excuse to avoid doing their job.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 12:48 PM   #440
No Other
Muse

I can't think of one politician that came out of Congress barely making ends meet. I don't like the idea of ANY politician making money due to being elected but we are stuck with it, all the Court did was codify it. People didn't seem to have any problem when Hillary (as Secretary of State) arranged for meetings with her and others when those who wanted to meet donated to the Clinton Foundation.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics